Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 22, 2019 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Training camp huh?

The usual lighthearted comedy aside, it seems there's a problem about demons turning humans into them. Felt like a buildup episode for something bigger. I'm actually curious to see how the others (besides Shin) improved from this training.

May 22, 2019 8:59 AM

Jan 2018
Episode 7 and we have ourselves a fan-service episode lmao. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER ECCHI SERIES THAT I"VE SEEN
May 22, 2019 9:04 AM

Aug 2013
Looks like the other students have improved in using their magic.

Next episode, a training camp.

May 22, 2019 9:14 AM
Apr 2019
It is a good idea that they are keeping shin's teachings to s class members only, imagine if everyone was walking around with these astronomical powers
May 22, 2019 9:17 AM
Aug 2018
LOL! Out of everything they decided to skip over they kept the most useless stuff smh....Whats the point of focusing on a training camp arc if Shin will and can just blow away half the people? Would have benefitted more introducing the antagonists much quicker but it seems that may not even come next episode or it will probably be the last 5 minutes....
May 22, 2019 9:21 AM
Apr 2019
DjangoUnchained2 said:
LOL! Out of everything they decided to skip over they kept the most useless stuff smh....Whats the point of focusing on a training camp arc if Shin will and can just blow away half the people? Would have benefitted more introducing the antagonists much quicker but it seems that may not even come next episode or it will probably be the last 5 minutes....

Shin can't do everything by himself, just one demonoid is pretty strong itself. idk what you're thinking but Shin doesn't do all the fighting by himself from this point forward.
May 22, 2019 9:25 AM

Feb 2018
That was a very entertaining episode, the members of the study group are becoming stronger, aug is doing a good job mediating everyone.

Lol drawing lots to take on the demons was fun to watch. Training camp hype
May 22, 2019 9:26 AM

Nov 2016
I actually enjoyed this episode compared to some others. Comedy wasn't too bad and I like training sessions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 22, 2019 9:27 AM

Mar 2016
Even when you try to consider the lighthearted comedy and fanservice, it just doesn't hit well at all. This show in terms of adaptation is having an identity crisis right in plain sight. This episode pretty much should confirm, if not epitomize, all the issues this show has had so far. For the original source material this is based off of, pacing means a lot if not everything.
May 22, 2019 9:42 AM
Aug 2018
Ryuseishun said:
Even when you try to consider the lighthearted comedy and fanservice, it just doesn't hit well at all. This show in terms of adaptation is having an identity crisis right in plain sight. This episode pretty much should confirm, if not epitomize, all the issues this show has had so far. For the original source material this is based off of, pacing means a lot if not everything.

On point! I realized this in the manga adaption as well. A lot of LN readers I have talked to and reviews I have read about the LN told me do not expect this to be heavy action or tension and that it leans towards more light hearted and slice of life. That would make sense but the anime kinda is trying to be all over the place. It wants to emphasize the threat but the source material at heart is a lot more light hearted and more about MCs goofyness and his interactions with his friends/allies. At the moment I can say both anime and manga don't know what they wanna be. Btw we still have a beach episode coming up so yea....
May 22, 2019 9:42 AM
Apr 2019
Ryuseishun said:

Ya, I didn't see any pacing issues in this episode. Curious as what you are even talking about to be honest.
May 22, 2019 9:47 AM

Mar 2016
elementex said:
Ryuseishun said:

Ya, I didn't see any pacing issues in this episode. Curious as what you are even talking about to be honest.

Read @DjangoUnchained2's previous comment and you'll know what I'm referring to.
May 22, 2019 9:57 AM
Apr 2019
Ya I don't get it, so you think they should focus more on slice of life? I think that what they are doing now is a pretty good mix of both.
May 22, 2019 9:57 AM
Aug 2018
Ryuseishun said:
elementex said:

Read @DjangoUnchained2's previous comment and you'll know what I'm referring to.

There really is ay point trying to debate with him. Read his posts to see how invested he is in this anime and you will start suspecting he is related to the studio or author in some way. I have my fair share of "garbage anime" in my history I liked but being objective isn't that difficult.
May 22, 2019 9:59 AM
Apr 2019
DjangoUnchained2 said:
Ryuseishun said:

There really is ay point trying to debate with him. Read his posts to see how invested he is in this anime and you will start suspecting he is related to the studio or author in some way. I have my fair share of "garbage anime" in my history I liked but being objective isn't that difficult.

Why so bitter? I don't go around trolling forum threads of anime that I hate.
May 22, 2019 10:01 AM
Aug 2018
No
elementex said:
DjangoUnchained2 said:

Like I said its called being objective and you just refuse to see any flaws, which is weird cause I know people who personally love it but can still be quite critical of it. Tbh half the criticisms I have came from them.....
May 22, 2019 10:21 AM
Apr 2019
DjangoUnchained2 said:
No
elementex said:

Like I said its called being objective and you just refuse to see any flaws, which is weird cause I know people who personally love it but can still be quite critical of it. Tbh half the criticisms I have came from them.....

I doubt I can even take you seriously, you said what happened in this episode was useless. But it wasn't, this episode was very important to emphasize the character/power growth of the s class students and the looming threat ahead. You are complaining about pacing while at the same time complaining that they aren't skipping important events.
May 22, 2019 10:46 AM
Jan 2018
DjangoUnchained2 said:
Ryuseishun said:

On point! I realized this in the manga adaption as well. A lot of LN readers I have talked to and reviews I have read about the LN told me do not expect this to be heavy action or tension and that it leans towards more light hearted and slice of life. That would make sense but the anime kinda is trying to be all over the place. It wants to emphasize the threat but the source material at heart is a lot more light hearted and more about MCs goofyness and his interactions with his friends/allies. At the moment I can say both anime and manga don't know what they wanna be. Btw we still have a beach episode coming up so yea....

interesting so its another one of those where the manga does its own thing and focus on something different then the Light novel kinda like slime , if someone compared the Manga and LN of slime people would see a massive difference
May 22, 2019 11:42 AM
Apr 2019
fan service and plot establishment, geez, this show is just that good.
May 22, 2019 12:06 PM
Jan 2018
we got a GILF in this one XD jks
May 22, 2019 12:21 PM

Jan 2011
Mattinator95 said:

interesting so its another one of those where the manga does its own thing and focus on something different then the Light novel kinda like slime , if someone compared the Manga and LN of slime people would see a massive difference
I believe the operative word here is "adaptation" for both manga and anime. Since the anime is usually created after the LN/WN and the manga, there often has to be a choice of which version to follow, and regardless of the choice, the criticism will follow.

I'm just reading these chapters in the the LN, and I found the episode to be a pretty good adaptation thereof. It's light-hearted comedy and romance for sure, but how could you think it would be otherwise with the opening theme and visuals. The rather cavalier treatment of the horror that the Empire is undergoing is a bit of a mismatch, true enough, but it is sometimes tough to talk about "realism" when you're dealing with an isekai fantasy world and a Gary Stu lead.

Actually what I find most interesting is the world building. Augustus is the poster boy for "enlightened monarchy" and, as he demonstrates time and again, is extremely knowledgeable about the political and social consequences of the decisions that he and Shin make. In this episode, he basically turned the Ultimate Magic research group into his world's version of the Manhattan Project, and his discussion of the reasons for doing so echoes the strategic decisions that the U.S. had to make after they developed the first atomic bombs.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 22, 2019 1:48 PM
Feb 2018
Anyone else think the animation of some fights looked like PowerPoint animations? I'm glad to see Aug acknowledging the fact Shin is like his cousin.
May 22, 2019 1:58 PM
Sep 2018
Lol. What's with the demons patiently waiting for them to draw straws and then for a signal to attack.
May 22, 2019 2:04 PM
Apr 2019
rindazzz said:
Lol. What's with the demons patiently waiting for them to draw straws and then for a signal to attack.

They were on a cliff, probably took a while for them to get to where they were
May 22, 2019 2:22 PM
Apr 2019
Also would like to point out the dub is way better than the sub. Nothing wrong with voice acting, but whoever did the translating really sucks it's like fansub quality
May 22, 2019 2:32 PM
Oct 2009
How come this garbage has score higher than 7? Ffs the story feels like it was written by a self-centered teenager.
May 22, 2019 2:35 PM
Apr 2019
bigdps said:
How come this garbage has score higher than 7? Ffs the story feels like it was written by a self-centered teenager.

It's better than slime and that has an 8.23
May 22, 2019 3:58 PM
Aug 2018
bigdps said:

Well to be honest we’re very much still early in the season especially since this anime only has some 20k total votes while something like slime or shield hero have 100k total votes but ratings of 8+. By the end of the season Kenja no Mago will probably level out to around between 6.7 - 7. Also MAL does tend to have inflated scores, I mean isekai smartphone is rated at 6.7 which is still high in my opinion and both are more or less equal quality wise.
May 22, 2019 4:02 PM
May 2019
Honestly, i don't like when there is fanservice in animes like this, i mean, there is other kind of anime for this purpose, and i don't watch that either. The thermal waters thing its so cliche and its everywhere, i'm already tired of that.
May 22, 2019 4:18 PM

Jan 2016
Is it bad that I think that Shin and Maria would be better for each other? Their chemistry is great and Sicilly is kinda boring. As opposed to other "nice girl" characters like Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket, she's kind without any substance behind it.

May 22, 2019 4:18 PM
Aug 2018
1MnC said:
Honestly, i don't like when there is fanservice in animes like this, i mean, there is other kind of anime for this purpose, and i don't watch that either. The thermal waters thing its so cliche and its everywhere, i'm already tired of that.

We are at the mercy of our Japanese otaku overlords....

FireFistYK said:
Is it bad that I think that Shin and Maria would be better for each other? Their chemistry is great and Sicilly is kinda boring. As opposed to other "nice girl" characters like Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket, she's kind without any substance behind it.

Na your not alone, i felt that I would have liked this more if Shin was paired up with a girl like Maria who is more outgoing and has a bigger personality. Sicily imo is no different from a mob character to you find in a typical harem....
May 22, 2019 4:55 PM
Apr 2019
FireFistYK said:

Sizilien is angel incarnate, Tohru is cringe incarnate
May 22, 2019 5:05 PM

Oct 2015
Shouldn't they be developing their story plot at this point in time, instead of wasting it on worthless fanservice. The only thing interesting about the episode was the Demon bear, RIP big fella!

You just can't take this shit of an anime seriously or let alone enjoy it!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 22, 2019 5:18 PM

Nov 2013
@lihle808
even on fanservice parts they show interesting conversations and plans for the future, i don't get why people have to hate author for "wasting" 2 minutes of a series with 240 minutes, specially when lots of people look forward to those scenes... just lol

also as someone who watches long running shows like Naruto/Boruto/one piece with thousands of fillers... i'm sure you're used to many episodes where you write "You just can't take this shit of an episode anime seriously or let alone enjoy it!"
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
May 22, 2019 5:20 PM
Apr 2019
lihle808 said:
Shouldn't they be developing their story plot at this point in time, instead of wasting it on worthless fanservice. The only thing interesting about the episode was the Demon bear, RIP big fella!

You just can't take this shit of an anime seriously or let alone enjoy it!

Fan service/slice of life is a big part of the anime/manga. If you don’t like that you shoulda quit at episode 1
May 22, 2019 5:21 PM
Apr 2019
winddevil1 said:
@lihle808
even on fanservice parts they show interesting conversations and plans for the future, i don't get why people have to hate author for "wasting" 2 minutes of a series with 240 minutes, specially when lots of people look forward to those scenes... just lol

also as someone who watches long running shows like Naruto/Boruto/one piece with thousands of fillers... i'm sure you're used to many episodes where you write "You just can't take this shit of an anime seriously or let alone enjoy it!"

Yeah, I had the pleasure of watching Naruto after it aired so I just skipped episodes I didn’t like, and there was a TON of them
May 22, 2019 5:25 PM
Aug 2018
winddevil1 said:
@lihle808

also as someone who watches long running shows like Naruto/Boruto/one piece with thousands of fillers... i'm sure you're used to many episodes where you write "You just can't take this shit of an episode anime seriously or let alone enjoy it!"

Seems unfair comparing the fillers in a show like Naruto/Bleach with ones in this anime, they are pretty much on different tiers quality wise....
May 22, 2019 5:34 PM

Nov 2013
DjangoUnchained2 said:

Seems unfair comparing the fillers in a show like Naruto/Bleach with ones in this anime, they are pretty much on different tiers quality wise....

i watched every single episode of Naruto and i'm sure there's a few that are not super good :V
if we add Boruto, theres quite a few bad episodes just in the last 10...

anyway i'm enjoying every episode here, so tbh i don't care if they are fillers

@ecchigodmamster
yo save me from these ecchi haters :v
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
May 22, 2019 5:50 PM
Apr 2019
winddevil1 said:
DjangoUnchained2 said:

i watched every single episode of Naruto and i'm sure there's a few that are not super good :V

@ecchigodmamster

There’s absolutely no filler episodes. A 12 episode anime can’t afford to have fillers. Like today’s episode, we have the students progression and training which is necessary to the plot and onsen, which serves to drive the romantic subplot. Filler would be like the Naruto episode where everybody is participating in a eating competition, nothing to do with plot at all
May 22, 2019 6:33 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
winddevil1 said:
DjangoUnchained2 said:

@ecchigodmamster

wait, what? where? im not going to scroll the comments
May 22, 2019 8:00 PM
Oct 2017
i think someone made an AI watch all the isekai shows that came out this decade and then told it to make it's own isekai anime, and the result is Kenja no Mago
May 22, 2019 8:38 PM
Mar 2017
The episode was quite fun, the rest of the Shin class Kick the ass of the arrogant apprentice knights, except for the group of Rin, who left her classmates with some flashy hairstyles, but even so they managed to silence the irritating knights who bothered Alice, Rin and Yuri.

Then we see how Shin continues with the training of the class, now that we know that all his classmates will be part of a special squad led by August in the future, but Shin end up organizing a training camp during their vacations.

Another detail was that August revealed how serious is the situation with the demons and how their number increases each time they attack a town or kingdom, which leads us directly to Schtrom who we already know is the one who leads this massification of demons.

Wild Rin is always a pleasure to laugh a while with her and her uncontrolled magic power that causes disasters.

Although the episode felt like a build up for events to future episodes was quite fun, is always welcome the moments when Shin and Sicily are teased by how they love each other and are too shy to take the big step or seeing how Merlin and Melinda will be caretakers of the class in the training camp at the house of Sicily´s family.
The fanservice I did not find it wrong, there were fanservice in previous episodes and in this they only added a little more than normal, also it is obvious that in an anime with an episode with hot springs, they show us the girls playing and fondling their bodies I also do not mind how Rin, Alice and Maria fondled the bouncy bodies of Yuri, Olivia and Sicily, but I found it remarkable that Merlin and Melinda had that talk with Shin's friends, it was touching at some point.
Anyway, I look forward to the next episode now that we know that Melinda and Merlin will be involved in the training of Shin's class, another thing that I hope is that a romantic event happens for Shin and Sicily, normally the camps or trips sometimes achieve a romantic atmosphere for the main couple.
May 22, 2019 9:45 PM

Feb 2008
i feel like the quality of this show ruins the manga. I am rather disappointed with the overall feel of the show.
May 22, 2019 10:26 PM

Oct 2008
oh here we go again with the obligatory Onsen episode!
3/5.

May 23, 2019 12:05 AM

Feb 2019
I hate to say that about an isekai but this anime really sucks, worst than isekai smartphone
May 23, 2019 12:14 AM

May 2015
The fanservice episode.
You can't blame the anime,the story is meh at best. Making all of Shin's friends as OP as the most powerful magicians there are in the military in the spawn of couple of episodes seems idiotic to me.
I'm just here for Sicily's cute smile. Anything else is extra. So I'm fine with this anime.
May 23, 2019 1:00 AM

Jul 2014
It's already 7 episodes but ugh, okay i might be overreacting since the show still airing, but i just can't stand this show any longer. The characters aren't interesting and could be annoying, dialogues are shit and many moments are cringeworthy, the story well it's just there but nothing makes anything special about it (Something i shouldn't expect, but many people said this show has a good story so i had my expectation first but it failed, at least in the anime version), the pace felt so fast even me as the non-manga reader could feel that isn't right, and the villains are lame. Don't get me wrong, i like watching dumb anime, they could provide a weird sense of fun sometimes, but idk i can't enjoy this show as much as them.

Probably because this anime brought a great promise at first way before it was aired, ai have seen people said this anime could top The Hero Shield or other isekai anime like Slime-kun since they said the story would be dark so fast and it also has great actions, yes i know those anime aren't perfect but IMO it's still a lot better than this anime which is why i really had a quite expectation at first. But so far nah, it's just an utter garbage IMO.

And i don't read the manga, so this is pure my opinion about the anime only..
But well my opinion probably getting neglected away anyway so who cares..
May 23, 2019 1:05 AM

Jul 2014
elementex said:
bigdps said:

Slime isn't a great anime, and yes the rating is overrated but i don't see any reasons this show could be better than slime, everything just feels lame, i don't know are you joking or not unless you give the points..
May 23, 2019 1:15 AM
Apr 2019
Crocospect22 said:
elementex said:

Slime isn't a great anime, and yes the rating is overrated but i don't see any reasons this show could be better than slime, everything just feels lame, i don't know are you joking or not unless you give the points..

many points

-slime has no romance
-side characters in slime are way too bland and way too many
-slime has i-win button predator, and is basically invincible. While shin isn't even op he just has more knowledge and practice doing magic in a better way, he's not invincible and he worked for his powers unlike slime
- comedy is better, fan service is better
- no overarching villain in slime so far just a bunch of random stuff happening, compared to a clear main villain in kenja no mago with a good backstory and development.

The only points I would give for slime would be slightly better animation and slightly better world-building
May 23, 2019 1:21 AM
Apr 2019
anikevin said:
The fanservice episode.
You can't blame the anime,the story is meh at best. Making all of Shin's friends as OP as the most powerful magicians there are in the military in the spawn of couple of episodes seems idiotic to me.
I'm just here for Sicily's cute smile. Anything else is extra. So I'm fine with this anime.

They been training under Shin for at least a couple months using Shin's cheat code magic methods. Better than just being giving a name and getting stronger or just being strong cause it's a game. I think it's awesome that Shin isn't going to be the only one fighting the bad guys. OPM uses the same method of developing side characters because Saitama is way too op to make for interesting fights.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

279 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 22, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

96 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 18, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

129 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

77 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 14, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

120 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 9, 7:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.