Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 10, 2012 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
Am i watching DBZ or Medaka Box? ;)
Jun 10, 2012 5:00 PM

Dec 2009
Medaka Box Z
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jun 10, 2012 5:20 PM

May 2012
Who else thought of dragon ball for a moment?
War god mode...
beep
Jun 11, 2012 12:53 AM

Jun 2010
I am so sad this show is only 12 episodes. Just caved and went on ahead in the manga for about 15 chapters and its starting to get really crazy!

Jun 11, 2012 8:40 AM

Jan 2012
jeroz said:
Besides, didn't you say that Medaka is too perfect? so why hate a story when she is no longer portrayed as "that perfect student president"?

If anything, I'm glad that the series finally stopped pampering Medaka (with the use of Zenkichi), and tries to go somewhere now that she doesn't have the time to deal with half-baked requests. But the problem on my end is that the show just doesn't appeal to me, with the addition of the aforementioned impression regarding the genre change. The characters are either annoying (Medaka/Unzen) or boring (rest), the humour lacks any kind of charm with the exception of some cases were I smiled a little, and the genre change feels forced and underdeveloped enough to think of it as a cheap attempt on making the show watchable, rather than a natural conclusion of the previous events. Maybe my expectations were high given the reason why I sticked to the show even though I sort of liked the first episode only (genre change that was praised by nearly everyone), but in the end I don't think it was worth watching it up to this point.

jeroz said:

Maybe it's the flaw of the way the anime version presented her, but it's clear in the manga that something is not right in the early chapters.

I'm basing my rant only on the anime version, so it's possible that the manga actually delivered her presentation better.

jeroz said:
Nisio Isin actually got a very funny twist to that. But that's way down the track.

Even though I'm dissapointed in the series, it's still good to hear that Nisio tries to spice things up a little.
Jun 12, 2012 1:04 AM

Nov 2007
I disliked this compared to the last couple episodes.

Unzen is just an annoying little brat. Not in an effective villain way. I just never want to see the stpid kid ever again.

Meh, don't care much for overpowered Medaka either. The story was more interesting focusing on the other 3 council members. more likeable than overpowered Medaka and Unzen the little shit kid.
Jun 12, 2012 5:49 PM

May 2011
Holy fuck... War God Mode, that pink raging hair looks awesome.
Jun 12, 2012 5:53 PM

Aug 2009
War God Mode = SS3 - the gold locks, and holy cow, do not piss her off.
Jun 12, 2012 6:47 PM

Jun 2008
Dodgers20 said:

jeroz said:

Maybe it's the flaw of the way the anime version presented her, but it's clear in the manga that something is not right in the early chapters.

I'm basing my rant only on the anime version, so it's possible that the manga actually delivered her presentation better.
Actually it's not that clear in the manga either. It's only after you see the sudden genre shift that you can kind of look back and say, oh hey, there was a lot of fighting before this actually. Akune vs Zenkichi, swimming contest, kendo club, delinquent fights. But you can't tell at all that the story would do a sudden transition to a shonen action series (well it is on jump so that is the only indication) and not a slice of life.
Jun 13, 2012 5:01 PM

Jul 2009
This anime is turning into a big yawn because she’s overpowered. You know she’s going to beat the crap out of every foe and win every fight. There is no suspense. The only reason why I'm still watching this is because of the fan service.
Jun 13, 2012 7:27 PM

Jul 2009
-Jinsei- said:
This anime is turning into a big yawn because she’s overpowered. You know she’s going to beat the crap out of every foe and win every fight. There is no suspense. The only reason why I'm still watching this is because of the fan service.

actually it makes the story better, because there's no "omg i got my trump card at the last moment to turn around the tide". It's all about placement of the chess pieces, and how each pieces react to different circumstances. No more unnecessary level-ups, more of the character interactions. Simply put, a chess game don't lose its tension when a pawn is promoted to become a queen
Jun 13, 2012 7:55 PM

May 2012
-Jinsei- said:

you can say that for almost all other battle anime... though EVERY fight is a bit too strong

in which case I can say she does not win every fight

she already has and will lose more

and lastly, this gives the side characters more room to shine and get even more screen time/battles than her in the coming arcs
Jun 14, 2012 12:43 PM

Jan 2012
Now this is the action I've been waiting for!! Medaka is hell on earth if she's angry, which we see for the first time.
The scene where she punched him and he went through a couple of walls was so cool!!!

Jun 15, 2012 3:33 AM

Aug 2008
Medaka's VA is really, really bad in this role. This the worst choice of sieyuu I've heard in a long time. She makes me want to drop it just before the end...

It has been a while since this arc in the manga but I always remember the beginning of this series as the best part of it. Compared to that anime feels a little meh. There's something not right with it but I can't put my fingers on it. I'm a little disappointed in Gainax lately...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 15, 2012 10:46 AM

Dec 2011
Maybe the best episode I've seen this season!! Just f awesome
Jun 17, 2012 2:41 AM

Mar 2009
Will Medaka's super saiyan form be explained eventually, or can she transform simply because she can?
Jun 22, 2012 11:48 AM
Sep 2011
Loved then Medaka gets on war mode on that annoying kid.
Jun 25, 2012 11:45 AM

Jan 2010
The BEST episode !!

Oh, I know, Medaka is much stronger than in the ordinary life <3
Jul 15, 2012 4:26 PM

May 2012
Oh, great. Medaka turned Super Saiyan 3. Now where's my comedy/ecchi/romance?
Reading the manga before watching this anime would have been a good idea. I guess its too late now, I've almost finished the season. Definitely disappointed of how things went. This is definitely for the action lovers but for me its just horrible.
Jul 17, 2012 1:48 PM

Jun 2009
Darklight0303 said:
FUCK YES. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!

Well this and what happens next episode. Gotta say the track they played for Medaka's Perses mode was PERFECT.
FUCK YEAH.

So WHY wasn't the Anime from the frigging beginning like this?! Gainax have could meka this into a FUCKING EPIC SHOW, but they didn't. Won't forgive Gainax for that one, because the manga is so fucking good.
Jul 21, 2012 8:38 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Unzen so cute :D Reminds me of Heimdall
Jul 28, 2012 10:35 PM

Mar 2009
It just got ridiculous.
Aug 1, 2012 2:37 AM

Dec 2009
Holy shit it's getting intense.

Medaka went to all bad ass mode and I LOVE IT!

Watch out little boy, you're about to be toast.

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 9, 2012 2:54 PM

Jan 2012
so.... she's an alien with superpower?

wtf am I watching here; someone aware me please...
Aug 10, 2012 12:42 AM

May 2012
flaxman85 said:

not really an alien but gifted with an insane ability. the school is like a ground for special people, special in the insane power sense. though most students are normal or unique in less crazy ways
Aug 10, 2012 8:11 AM

Jan 2012
Eltrik said:
flaxman85 said:

not really an alien but gifted with an insane ability. the school is like a ground for special people, special in the insane power sense. though most students are normal or unique in less crazy ways

Still took me by surprise.... here you have a girl who seems normal and can do a everything the first for 9 episodes then BAM.. super saiya mode.

I was really close to dropping it early on as well. Kinda glad I didn't because shit's about to get real.
Nov 11, 2012 7:30 PM

Jul 2012
Could this have been any more retarded? It was amusing with the episodes and the crazy students before this child showed up... I fear if I was in her place this child would be saying hello/goodbye to 31 gr AP FMJ too fast after what he tried. :/

/sigh what happened to good writing for anime
lanfireNov 14, 2012 12:45 AM
Nov 24, 2012 9:04 AM
Nov 2011
Medaka-Chan is scary when she's angry.... I think I'd rather be up against the Hulk than her when she's transformed LOL
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 28, 2013 4:50 AM
Aug 2008
Medaka Box was very funny, non a masterpiece, but ok.
I don't understand why they fucked the story with a boring sayan style girl.
Bah.
1/5
Mar 26, 2013 5:38 AM

May 2012
Damn that sure is some extreme development! Epic War God Mode - I was like wtf happened to her hair O_O and dafuq comes that kid to such powerful tools...

Epic episode! Really great development and just filled with action!
Jun 25, 2013 7:29 AM

Nov 2009
That was bloody awesome, Super saiyan Medaka is insane!
Jul 27, 2013 12:43 AM

Dec 2010
Ok, this episode was simply awesome. I didn't really expect the powers in this anime to be related to Kouga and Iga, but I guess that this makes things even better.

I wonder if Undine can actually pull something to give Medaka a better challenge.
Aug 29, 2013 11:59 AM

Jun 2012
Seriously, even in a work of fiction, you need to retain a modicum of realism. But no, apparently Medaka Box doesn't think so. Yup, we have some kid who somehow managed to get himself a bomb suit and multiple handfuls of deadly explosives, 50 packs of matches, and he's walking around with it all inside a school. He literally bombs the school, which obliterated a room and caused additional collateral damage, started a small fire, and nobody seems to care. Apparently in the world of Medaka Box, there is no fire department. There are no teachers. There is no authority figure anywhere to be found, and the students of this school instead govern themselves and do whatever the hell they want to.

"Oh, what's that? You say some kid just beat the living hell out of the music club, destroyed all their equipment, and demolished their club room? Whatever. Hmm? You say that same kid just made an assassination attempt on several other students? Who cares. Oh, that kid just bombed the school? Pfft, big deal."

Seriously, am I expected to just casually accept this? Nobody fucking cares? NOBODY? This kid is a complete psychopath, disgustingly so. I can't even respect him as a villain, because his character is just that implausible. Everyone around him just sits there and lets him do whatever the hell he wants to. "Oh, I broke my precious smartphone." Well good. Realistically, he'd be behind iron bars in a cold cell right now after that bombing. But NOPE, not in Medaka Box! Everyone else is cool with it, as long as they weren't personally targeted.

The setting is just so unrealistic. It's too unrealistic. Obviously, realism isn't what this anime was shooting for, but it can't just casually throw logic and reason out the window and then suddenly turn around and try to build a moderately serious plot. It's like it expects me to go "That's so cool and interesting!" every time something brazenly unrealistic happens. Medaka gets pissed off and suddenly her magic hair activates and she gains super strength? If that's what I was wanting to watch, I'd be watching DBZ, not something that poses as a slice-of-life school comedy for the first eight episodes and then suddenly becomes an action show.

Maybe this show just isn't for me. I'll accept that. What I'm wondering though, is who exactly was this show intended for? Who really sits down and watches this with genuine interest or excitement? I don't even know anymore. I'm probably just in a foul mood and I'm acting selfishly hostile over the fact that there's people out there who like this kind of show. Even still, I won't hesitate to say that this is the most retarded genre shift I've ever seen. It was actually somewhat watchable when it was still in its slice-of-life phase, I wish it would go back, but it's too late for that now.
LarasoFeb 20, 2017 9:27 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Sep 13, 2013 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
Best episode yet.
Things got serious.
Sep 29, 2013 10:25 PM

Aug 2008
That's what happens when you piss off Yui Hirasawa.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Nov 9, 2013 6:09 AM
Nov 2013
Easily the greatest episode so far. Can't wait for the next one.
Feb 25, 2014 7:18 AM

Aug 2013
HOLY SHIT.. this is one hell of a plot twist.
I was prepared to end this series laughing.. but WAR GOD MODE rocks !!
And that seiyu had to be Aki Toyosaki.. I could never imagine Yui Hirasawa going into an outburst.
May 31, 2014 3:42 AM

Aug 2013
What's wrong with the confusing plot ? from Student Council plot to a war plot !?

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jun 28, 2014 1:42 PM

Dec 2013
what an awesome strength
Oct 31, 2014 1:44 PM
Jul 2014
Sucks to be that kid. Let's see what happens after you piss of Kurokami and she transforms. ONWARD TO EPISODE 11!
Jun 21, 2015 8:02 PM

Feb 2013
Hm, when did I start watching Dragon Ball? Apart from that, this episode was, in fact, epic. Best episode so far.
Oct 3, 2015 2:45 AM

Jul 2015
Best episode ever
I love this anine and I think I'm going to read the manga after I finish season 2 ooh yeah $#/&&$@#
And madaka is a super badass
Jan 31, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
Daaaaaaaamn, I waited for this moment! That transformation, that music, that punch, epic! Loved it <3
Feb 19, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2014
Epic and intense... War God mode medaka! With goddamn gorgeous soundtrack....
Get rekt uezen
Jul 18, 2017 12:42 AM

May 2015
In my opinion, the action/battle scene animation quality is nowhere near of the one I expected, it felt to me like still images instead of animation motion comic like...
Apr 28, 2018 7:30 PM
Jun 2013
so it was a bluff or not about the beating them up? If it was then that sucks. so we got SSG medaka and im glad we got to see a flawed version of her. That she doesint think shes in the right she is just trying to help, but she always thinks she maybe did something wrong constantly. Though piss her off and her emotions take over and she will go straight up violent. Also seems red hair god mode here beat the DBS one.
May 1, 2018 10:38 PM

Jul 2013
Antanaru said:
Medaka's VA is really, really bad in this role. This the worst choice of sieyuu I've heard in a long time. She makes me want to drop it just before the end...

I think you are very disoriented and know very little about voice acting
Ajimu-The-TrollMay 1, 2018 10:41 PM
May 2, 2018 7:53 AM

Aug 2008
@Ajimu-The-Troll I acknowledge you added absolutely nothing 6 years after my post. What a wonderful thing notification system is, isn't it...
Ii tenki desu ne...
May 2, 2018 8:06 AM

Jul 2013
Antanaru said:
@Ajimu-The-Troll I acknowledge you added absolutely nothing 6 years after my post. What a wonderful thing notification system is, isn't it...

I added plenty

it shows poor knowledge of voice acting if you think her seiyuu was a poor choice lol

her seiyuu has a vast vocal range
in this role she manages to perfectly capture the playfulness and naivety of normal medaka
her voice is slightly deeper and womanly like it should be but not overdone

she also captures the beastial rage of wargod mode and the chilling stoicism of altered wargod mode

literally what voice were you expecting? she nailed this role

if you want a voice that sounds out of place how about goku literally being voiced by a 60 year old grandma?
or nel having the body of medaka and still having a squeaky high pitched voice?

were you expecting her to have some moe voice like when she voiced yui form k-on?
how about YOU elaborate on why her voice was a poor choice?
Ajimu-The-TrollMay 2, 2018 12:18 PM
May 2, 2018 2:46 PM

Aug 2008
@Ajimu-The-Troll How the hell am I supposed to say that 6 years after watching the show. I barely remember the manga, let alone the anime. I only vaguely remember that I didn't enjoy it. If I said VA was a poor choice then I guess either she was doing poor job overall or her voice didn't match the image of the character. I'm definitely not going to watch an episode to see which it was, I would rather watch again something I liked.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 11, 2012

158 by RaidenSteiner »»
Oct 22, 2023 6:01 PM

» Moji, Mahibi

Ugliz - Mar 10, 2014

1 by gust4835 »»
Sep 4, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ame_Sama - Apr 4, 2012

296 by Calithium »»
Jul 8, 2023 5:40 PM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 18, 2012

99 by Hayley2877 »»
Dec 19, 2022 9:50 AM

» Any differences?

StaleNut - Nov 4, 2022

3 by StaleNut »»
Nov 4, 2022 6:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.