Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2018 12:59 PM

Feb 2017
Why do they always have to cut their hair? :(

I don't know, maybe I went into this show with wrong expectations. I thought it would focus more on exploring Antarctica than on the character drama, and much of that drama I didn't like (Hinata losing her passport for e.g.). I was really enjoying it and was invested into the show until the passport episode and getting onto the ship, after that not so much. But overall I enjoyed the show. Finale was good.
TsarkoMar 27, 2018 1:04 PM
Mar 27, 2018 1:32 PM

Oct 2017
This season finale was most definitely the best this season. From most of the shows that are ending or have been airing, I loved this the most. Personally I had a fun ride with the main crew of girls, and this farewell pretty much messed me over with feels. I'm gonna miss them all so god damn much.

When this show first aired, I thought of it as a cute and funny watch with the visuals and how episodes were executed. Then later on near the ending I was pretty much hype for every single second of each new episode and loved each second delivered to me.

This is the best anime for me this season. Idk if its gonna hit the all time best this year, but it's most definitely gonna be atleast top 3 for sure. Until next time... thank you for blessing me with this anime MadHouse.
Mar 27, 2018 1:52 PM

May 2015
Beautiful ending to and absolutely beautiful show. Tuesday's just aren't going to be the same. Definitely AOTS most likely AOTY. 10/10
Mar 27, 2018 2:00 PM

Nov 2013
I feel so blessed to have been given this anime ; - ; <33
Mar 27, 2018 2:03 PM

Aug 2012
momosemomo said:
I feel so blessed to have been given this anime ; - ; <33

I feel similar, What an absolute gem of a show.
Mar 27, 2018 2:11 PM

Feb 2018
Something I forgot to say: Now we know the true reason why Takako died to get that laptop. Not just to receive e-mails from Shirase, but because she wanted to show her the aurora as soon as possible, probably so she could understand part of the reason why she loved Antarctica so much.

Those feels are back.
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 27, 2018 2:39 PM

Dec 2015
Man, the bar was set pretty high for the rest of 2018. 10/10 easy.
Mar 27, 2018 2:40 PM

Jul 2017
Neat final episode, with everything tied up. The only bit I didn't like was Megumi also getting to see an Aurora (albeit by going North which is much easier than what the girls went through). I felt that it somehow cheapened the experience that the girls had, I'm fine with showing Megumi moving on, but I would have preferred it if she had gone anywhere else other than the Arctic. I like that the title and some of the dialogue hint at another season, but the drama aspect would be mostly done with so it would be a totally different show, but just to see these girls goof around together again would be enough. Maybe a documentary style film with all their various reports, plus some fun interludes.

For some reason I didn't quite get as teary eyed as I did for the last episode of Yuru Camp. Maybe because last weeks episode was such an emotional one my tears for this show had all dried up, or maybe I was just feeling less emotional overall today.

Overall I did feel that slight dip when they got on the ship. I feel like the momentum from episodes 1-6 went a bit in 7-9, but they still had their moments and personally I loved the character episodes of 10-12. So I'm rating it a "Masterpiece" (not 10/10, it would probably be a 9.9, but I can't do that here :-D)
D1tchd1ggerMar 27, 2018 3:08 PM
Mar 27, 2018 3:11 PM

Nov 2007
Beautiful.

No more words needed to describe this amazing anime. I loved it from the start to the end. When I first saw Hanada Jukki on script in an anime about high-school girls I was already stoked because of his amazing contributions with the likes of Hibike! Euphonium, K-On!, Love Live! and so on and he sure delivered.

As for the staff behind this anime, every episode was worked with amazing craftsmanship and I have to give credit to MADHOUSE for such a fantastic anime. You can tell how much effort the staff put on this anime. It really felt like it was made out of passion and with real love for the work they do.

And then of course such a beautiful finale. Shirase's speech was particularly impressive since she was always shown so weak when it came to presenting herself in front of others. But when it mattered the most, she simply delivered.

Not to mention the whole aurora experience. Even though I have particularly experienced the Northern Lights multiple times in my life, I have to say it is one of the most amazing natural phenomena in this world. It never gets old. An experience that you can live time and again.

And such an amazing touch to round it up with Takako's final message that finally got delivered.

「本物はこの一万倍綺麗だよ」

The ending is especially amazing since all four girls came of age through this experience of their lifetime and as viewers we get to experience something similar. I really hope the final words "Best wishes for your life's journey" would inspire some of us to take initiatives, make decisions and go on for a journey of our very own.

Definitely one of the best anime to come out in recent years. I know there won't be any sequel. There is actually no need for one. This closure will live on inside fans of this anime for years to come.

I decided to keep this post white because I left my heart in The White Continent: Sora yori mo Tooi Basho.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 27, 2018 3:18 PM

Sep 2015
"The real thing is ten thousand times more beautiful"

"Dear Mom, I know."

I was doing fine until here, but then everything was down again..
Mar 27, 2018 3:19 PM

Aug 2013
Man, this was definitely the best of the season that I wasn't expecting. Gotta love how everything wrapped up. It really was a beautiful series.
Don't believe the hype.
Mar 27, 2018 3:21 PM

Nov 2014
The best moment in this episode was the last where Megumi showed that she had grown beyond her co-dependency and had been inspired by Mari's example to do something on her own, I actually thought something like that would happen but I didn't think it would be the Arctic. The emotional climax was really last episode so whatever this episode did was always going to be a step down but it was still a pretty good finale which wrapped up all the leftover threads and set the groundwork for a possible sequel. This is my AOTS for the season and it was a really good season.
Forum Signature
Mar 27, 2018 3:23 PM

Sep 2016
Top 3 anime of this season for sure, a step further probably best anime (AOTS) this season.

10/10 What a journey it was.
Episode 12 solidified my 10/10 rating and this final episode is the icing on the cake.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 27, 2018 3:36 PM

May 2015
What an incredible finale and an incredible show. Watching this show felt like journeying together with these girls and co., feeling all kinds of emotions, from happiness, sadness to laughter.

Going to miss this a lot. Tuesdays won't feel the same again. Undoubtedly one of the top tier shows this season, and undoubtedly this year most likely as well. To the favorite list it goes.

10/10.
ReverberateMar 27, 2018 3:39 PM

Mar 27, 2018 3:51 PM

Sep 2013
While their antarctic days felt rushed, and this last episode also felts a bit rushed, it's still a great series.

And shout out to Megumi being worst girl right until the end. I could probably cut out those last 20 seconds during re-watches.
Mar 27, 2018 4:02 PM

Dec 2014
@shanimebib Love what you did there. xD
Mar 27, 2018 4:03 PM

Oct 2013
9/10 for me. AOTS.

Not only has Sora Yori been a great show, but I've been terribly spoiled this season: Yuru Camp, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, Mitsuboshi Colors, Hakumei to Mikochi.

Otherwise, I have little to add to the many positive comments about Sora Yori.
Mar 27, 2018 4:21 PM

Apr 2015
Why can't Antarctica girls live in Antarctica together as best friend reporters forever? Reality is so cruel.

8/10
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 27, 2018 4:25 PM

Apr 2016
Absolute masterpiece by Madhouse yet again. A wild ride full of laughs and tears. I'll miss this one for sure.
Mar 27, 2018 4:46 PM

Mar 2015
An absolutely delightful show. Consistently well made each and every episode. I will be buying this when it come out. :)
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 27, 2018 5:00 PM

Jan 2014
10/10 best of the season by a good margin and then some, come to think of it i don't think there has been an anime the past 3-4 years that's better than this(could be wrong), and also a show i will greatly enjoy again and again when re-watching after some time have passed.
Mar 27, 2018 5:01 PM

Mar 2017
Easy 11/10 for me. My personal AOTS!
Mar 27, 2018 5:06 PM

Sep 2011
GangsterCat said:

fuck off japan with your "character development" cutting hair bullshit
dropped 0/10

Cutting your hair to indicate visually a change in something is part of the cultural landscape of Japan, along with eating shaved ice, visiting shrines, and setting a task before confessing which all happend in this episode. Its not “bullshit”. If she had done it to indicate a broken heart I would have rolled my eyes a little but that’s no t why she did that it. Also how can you drop a show on the last episode??
Mar 27, 2018 5:19 PM

Nov 2014
scruffykiwi said:
Also how can you drop a show on the last episode??
The same way you can marathon the first episode of a show.
Forum Signature
Mar 27, 2018 5:19 PM
Oct 2017
I thought shirase had put the money pack, in the hands of his mother's body
before I realized it was just a pair of glove.....
Mar 27, 2018 5:30 PM

Sep 2016
scruffykiwi said:
GangsterCat said:

fuck off japan with your "character development" cutting hair bullshit
dropped 0/10

Cutting your hair to indicate visually a change in something is part of the cultural landscape of Japan, along with eating shaved ice, visiting shrines, and setting a task before confessing which all happend in this episode. Its not “bullshit”. If she had done it to indicate a broken heart I would have rolled my eyes a little but that’s no t why she did that it. Also how can you drop a show on the last episode??
she went from long haired beauty to absolutely ugly, so that's bullshit.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 27, 2018 5:35 PM

Aug 2009
10/10. It's a perfect show.
Mar 27, 2018 5:49 PM

Jul 2017
Beautiful, this show is absolutely beautiful.
Is an anime that I would recommend even to adults and young people without any embarrassment, for the null or almost null fanservice it contains.

10/10
Mar 27, 2018 6:09 PM

Jun 2013
Done re-watching all 13 episodes in one go and still, I feel the same way when it first aired and waiting for the next episode weekly. My Tuesdays will never be the same again. Thanks Madhouse for giving us this masterpiece.
Kitan~!
Mar 27, 2018 6:32 PM
Oct 2017
"Masterpiece in the making" became "Masterpiece at its very, very best"

Handsdown AoTS, handsdown one of AoTY.

GGWP Madhouse, top job. Masterclass.
Mar 27, 2018 6:52 PM

Jan 2011
Not much needs to be said Beyond the universe was great from start to finish , with so many great moments and wonderful characters not to mention top tier directing it's hard to find faults with this, it easily could be consider one of the top this year besides yuru camp it was my favorite show this season no questions asked

9/10 feeling so good i got to experienced this journey

feel like it'd be neat if they did like a post college 2nd season
Mar 27, 2018 7:38 PM

Jul 2013
Oh man, oh man. I dislike giving 10/10s, but Sora yori really deserves it. Let's see if after my hype calms down and/or I rewatch it I will keep the score...

Before that, about the actual episode... Bad things first, I disliked how they showed Megu-chan getting over her jealousy lol. I DO appreciate her getting over it and all, but her going to the Artic? Come on. But that's just a minor nuisance, it's fine. I also had a slight feeling of the episode being a bit rushed, but that didn't really bother me.
Anyway. This episode was so nice and I loved to see more lighthearted bits. I felt kinda sad watching even, since you know, it's the last episode. But I don't have much to say about those lighthearted parts I guess, haha.
The bittersweet things, however. Shoot, I loved them a lot. It was really sweet seeing Shirase giving the notebook to Gin and I already got a bit emotional there thanks to how much episode 12 tugged at my heartstrings. I kept wondering if they would show the message on the outbox, tho. Then came the aurora part, oh dude. That part really, really got me. So that's what the "It's so beautiful..." of the flashbacks meant, huh. And part of the reason she died, too. And I really loved the way they showed what was the outbox message. Shirase could've just seen it. But nah, the approach of Gin, of all people, sending it and Shirase receiving the message from "Mom" was so much more emotional and special. I also appreciated how it was the aurora of all things.
Also, this is probably the unpopular opinion but I loved Shirase with short hair and liked it more than her long hair. But maybe that's because I really like short hair on girls, haha.

I'll miss this show a ton. I don't really have anything noteworthy to mention as a flaw. The episodes were so fun, had such a strong and lovable cast [and, well, characters are usually what make shows for me] that at the same time managed to be relatable, character development was good, the mix of lightheartedness and drama was on point... Art was also amazing. And I loved the OP, ED and the insert songs.
I wish we had seen more Antarctica, though! And I don't know if I really hope for a season 2, as much as I love the show and would love to see those girls again, I feel like Sora yori wrapped things up just perfectly already.

At the very least a 9/10, I'm sure. But as I said, for now I'll keep the 10/10 score. And AOTS, definitely.
Mar 27, 2018 7:49 PM

May 2016
Gonna miss this series :(
Mar 27, 2018 8:01 PM

Dec 2014
What a fantastic anime, lovely characters, amazing setting and plot, got me through a roller coaster of feelings and made me laugh.
I enjoyed every episode and this one couldn't be any different, such a beautiful ending. This is the anime of the season for sure.
Oh God, I'm really gonna miss this show, what will become of me without this series.
10/10
Mar 27, 2018 8:24 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Man this was a really great finale for the series. The girls spending their final days in Antarctica doing what they want to do before going back home. Another episode full of warm and funny moments. In the end, no matter how much their lives change, these girls will always be together even when they are apart cause of how strong their friendship is.

Really gonna miss this series. Easily the best of the season hands down.
Mar 27, 2018 8:25 PM

Nov 2013
The Aurora Parts were amazing. Great Finale
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Mar 27, 2018 8:43 PM

Jul 2015
Started watching it mostly for the seijus... In the end it had a perfect story, perfect characters, perfect pacing, perfect technical execution.

obvious 10/10 and Anime of the Season for me.
Also, all 4 are Girls of the Season, Hinata slightly up <3

Can't wait to recommend this show to everyone!
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Mar 27, 2018 8:46 PM
Mar 2018
unexpected end ... I hope this anime is enough in like many people .. to get appreciation with Ova .. MOVIE or maybe Season 2 😇 10/10 from me 🙏
Mar 27, 2018 8:52 PM
Dec 2017
While Kimari go to the South, Megumi now begin her adventure to the North. I want to see how Megu-chan go to Acrtic. 😁

One of the best anime storyline in this season.
Mar 27, 2018 9:57 PM

May 2011
hithummah said:
GangsterCat said:
Megu-chan is the true solo yuru camper here, Shimarin is nothing compared to her

She can also go for the treasure while at it

She's on the other side, North Pole
Mar 27, 2018 10:07 PM
May 2016
this was the series I looked forward to the most each week. Glad I decided to give it a shot
Mar 27, 2018 10:15 PM
Jul 2018
Nice story, good character development, amazing soundtrack and beautiful ending. That's why i prefer original anime.
Mar 27, 2018 10:20 PM

Jul 2011
These girls are alright. Beautifully done series. Hopefully we can follow them on another journey sometime.
Mar 27, 2018 10:59 PM
Mar 2016
I've been behind on this series because of school but I'm happy that I got to finish this series when the last episode aired.

This episode focuses on Mari, who as much as she wants to stay in Antarctica, she knows that her journey is over. I'm glad that the show didn't cause some last minute drama of this and instead used it as a way to strengthen her character.

Shirase cuts her hair since she has moved on from her mother's death. She looks great with that haircut and that smile though.

I loved that the girls friendship strengthen and that they promised each other to go on another journey. Possible second season or movie. Even if it's just a fun camping episode in the woods or something like that I would be fine with that.

Guess Megu wanted to make Mari jealous about not being the only one to go on a life changing journey.

I really loved this story and all the drama and charcters were handed so well.

Mari really only showed signs of character development in the beginning and end. In the beginning from becoming independent and brace and in the end by realizing that their are more adventures to come.

Shirase grew the most out of the four girls. She was distant at first and would of done everything she could to go to Antarctica even leaving behind other people. She then became real friends with everyone and would go out of her way to help them by being stubborn, which is both her flaw and strength. She was then able to accept that her mom is gone and that she should use her journey to develop friendships with others.

Hinata, who is best girl even though all four are great, was a simple but loveable person. She had given up on trusting to help her, which was the reason why she quit school. She wanted to go to Antarctica to become achieve freedom, which she did in a way she didn't expect by realizing that she should move on from the people who broke her trust and stay with those who trust her now. Also I wonder if anyone is going to post a Hinata quotes compilation, I would love to see that.

Yuzuki, who was the quietest of the four since she only has two episodes revolving around her also had a great arc. Because she's an idol, she's never had the time to make long lasting genuine friends. It was nice seeing her discover what friendship was and eventually wanting to not get left behind by the others. Her friendship contract really showed that she was clueless when it came to what trusting your friends is.

This show will probably be my 2018 AOTY unless something else tops this series. If this aired last year then it would of been top 3 along with Dragon Maid and Girls Last Tour. 10/10 for sure. I'm going to miss this show and it's characters. To bad Madhouse doesn't do second seasons but it could happen.
Scratchy99Mar 27, 2018 11:14 PM
Mar 27, 2018 11:11 PM

May 2015
Nothing else needs to be said here. What a beautiful series to describe what an adventure is.

Final Verdict: The Journey/10
Mar 27, 2018 11:14 PM

Mar 2017
What an amazing final episode, and I felt chills when they saw the aurora and Shirase got that message <3. AOTS for me, and a contender for AOTY.

'nom'
Mar 28, 2018 12:21 AM
Mar 2018
I am waiting for the next journey.. aahh it's end.. i want another season!
Mar 28, 2018 12:28 AM

Sep 2013
This was an absolutely fantastic series to watch and I enjoyed every minute of it. I came in with no expectations and I was blown away. Like I said in the first episode, this series is REAL good at doing the little things exceptionally well. I know this is a slice of life anime but this is one of the most human writing I've seen in a while. The characters are all very likable with a story that you can get into.

These girls are wonderful human beings where they all will do what they can to cover for each other's weaknesses. Special mention to KanaHana for her role as Shirase. Her performance as Shirase was excellent and every word that came out of her mouth felt genuine. Per usual, she's just an amazing VA.

Man, I think the animation was great as well for this type of show. I was expecting to see moe-esque animation with chibi faces and what not. I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't get any of that. The art for the environment was incredible.

5/5 for the finale
10/10 for the series.

This series hit me in the feels hard as I had lost my father right before Christmas. Shirase's reaction to the unread emails hit home for me as I reacted the same way. Aside from that, every character arc was interesting and done very well. I've seen these types of stories dozens of times but very few have done it better than this series.

The music was AWESOME in this as well. I didn't care that they recycled some of the same insert songs over and over. I truly loved listening to those songs each time it came on. The ED song is definitely up there as my favorite of the season. The OP song was pretty good as well though I did find more enjoyment in the visuals rather than the song.

Going on this journey with these girls was a real joy and I will miss this. AOTS for me.

It's gonna be real tough for any slice of life/adventure series to top "A Place Further Than the Universe" and "Yuru Camp".

Mar 28, 2018 12:41 AM

Dec 2014
10 doesn't enough
its been a while since i have watched a show that make me laugh and cry all the time ... (I stare at you, Bakuman.)

and whoah, what a really wonderful series !! the chara development feels good even if only had 13 eps, the director managed to do the best with it! Glad i have following this series since the first eps ....

Ah Madhouse, please make another goodie like this again sometimes!! I really miss this show :')
Mar 28, 2018 12:48 AM

Nov 2016
AHHHHHHHH!!! It is so good that the episode felt like it passed so fast, such a touching end, I love thid anime. Wanna cry now cuz it ended. 😭😭😭
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

309 by LostBoii »»
Aug 22, 2:08 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM

» How realistic is this??

Sandro8604 - May 25, 2021

12 by Tacsk0 »»
Aug 13, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.