Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (26) « First ... « 23 24 [25] 26 »
Jul 17, 2015 12:50 PM
Jun 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
How is it that Shirou picked up Rin's pendant in this episode when it was given back to Rin in the prologue? Did Archer stealthily pick it up when Shirou was walking to his house?

EDIT: Just saw the next episode. Shirou put the pendant in one of his drawers, so that makes me even more confused.

Good job, you noticed that contradiction (most people didn't). Just keep that in mind for later :>
Jul 17, 2015 12:58 PM

Jun 2015
Tylaen said:
It will all make sense eventually. Patience.

xcllnt said:
Good job, you noticed that contradiction (most people didn't). Just keep that in mind for later :>

Alright, I take you guys' word for it. I'll keep watching.
Jul 23, 2015 2:00 AM

Mar 2012
Already better than the original lol. The fight scenes are just amazing. Can't wait to see more of Saber-chan and People die if they are killed-kun.
Aug 2, 2015 8:13 AM
Jun 2013
The first half was pretty boring. A lot of (irrelevant) dialogue thrown in between. Yeah the animation for the fight scenes is great but there's more to an anime than just fights and animation. I liked the Prologue a tad bit more. But hopefully, now that the introductions are out of the way, things will move a bit faster.
Sep 3, 2015 11:38 AM

Jan 2013
Just started watching this after being halfway through the original anime.
Shinji was less mean there.

Also, when Emiya used that Command Seal to tell Saber to stop, I was like "What?".
I'm certain this didn't happen in the original. Do they go different routes already? It's only the first episode :o

The beautiful visuals though.
Sep 3, 2015 11:52 AM
Jun 2014
MasterQuest said:
Just started watching this after being halfway through the original anime.
Shinji was less mean there.

Also, when Emiya used that Command Seal to tell Saber to stop, I was like "What?".
I'm certain this didn't happen in the original. Do they go different routes already? It's only the first episode :o

The beautiful visuals though.

Using the Command Spell to stop Saber triggers the Unlimited Blade Works route.
Sep 12, 2015 9:06 PM
Mar 2012
I've recently had a non-hardcore anime fan watch Code Geass Season 1 and F/Z. They liked both.

I'm about to marathon an anime with them--and I'm considering either R2 or FUBW.

Anyway, would you say that for a CASUAL VIEWER they can pick 1 of Episode 0 or 1? 1.5 hours of lots of dialogue might be a bit much, so I'm wondering what you'd recommend.

Seems like for many Rin's PV from the prologue is better, however this episode has the tie-in and flashbacks from F/Z. Perhaps actually this might be more accessible for newcomers, whereas the prologue is loved by those more immersed in the Fate universe.
Oct 4, 2015 10:07 PM

Sep 2015
Only read a couple pages of the thread, but I have to agree they dropped the ball with the Lancer vs. Shirou fight. If they had just showed him blocking Lancer's spear after he jumped out the window and knocking it out of his hands then getting kicked. I think that would have made the fight a bit better.

Also wished they would have had lancer say Fly while he was kicking Shirou I had to say it out loud myself lol. Wished they would have shown the shed door getting destroyed as well instead of Shirou running in but that's just me being picky.

Thing they did do well was definitely the Saber vs. Lancer fight that was way above expectations of even what I pictured when reading the VN. Also it seems the dialogue is nearly identical to the VN skipping the inner Dialogue of course. Loved how Shirou's house and the School looked identical to the VN. Gae Bolg was nicely done as well. Overall Great first episode gave it a 5/5, the animation is amazing beautiful.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Oct 6, 2015 5:33 AM

Jul 2015
Awesome
Jan 22, 2016 12:57 AM

Nov 2015
Its my first anime that I am watching from the Type Moon series. The episode was as I had already expected. A very grand one indeed!!!! This was a very good and a long episode.
Saber is a very adorable character and I really like her. Perhaps when I end the show she will be added to my favourite list.
And Rin is a very lovely character.
All the actions throughout the episode was fantastic.
Loved this episode. Hope the whole show will be a great one.
Jan 23, 2016 8:33 AM

Oct 2015
Best first episode ever!
So the show starts with the MC in middle of the fire. Sakura is very gentle. Emiya is very helpful and also an idiot who keeps helping others unnecessarily . So he also has a supernatural power to trace devices. Ah, Emia is lucky enough for having a servant like her ( Saber). Don't understand how did she came and who is she. Maybe we can find it as the other episodes passes. Tohsaka?? She too have a guardian like Emia too!
Feb 22, 2016 8:44 AM
May 2013
They missed few thing here and there but it was good.
Too bad the amount of Sakura will decrease from now on ... Sakura = best girl .
Apr 5, 2016 5:28 PM

Nov 2015
This episode goes very well (even better) if you previously watch the Episode 00 (Prologue)

As always, I expect nothing than pure animation greatness from Ufotable, it is always amazing.

I really hope I don't hate Shirou as I did in Deen's FSN and the -Fate- route of the VN. I'm told he is better but I still have the prejudices jeje.

It's so good to see Kiritsugu!!! KIRITSUGU!!! *_*

Sakura looks...cute? I didn't expect to admit that....etto...ehh... she's spamming "senpai" all over the place..
My Senpai count for this episode was 14, unless I missed one.

The OP is Ok-ish, not spectacular but good.
The ED is just... Kalafina.... no words needed...Kalafina.

Saber: Those are called Command Spells, please, do not waste them.
Shirou: SEIBAH, STHAP!!!
Saber: WTF DID I JUST FUCKING TELL YOU LITERALLY 10 SECONDS AGO!?
HumbertoZeroApr 5, 2016 5:33 PM
May 19, 2016 12:31 AM

Dec 2012
Already better than DEEN, but the bar wasn't high anyway. lol

Awesome OP and ED as expected.

KIRITSUGU! My heart.

DA WAIFU RETURNS!

DA FATED MEETING...AGAIN!

If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 5, 2016 10:57 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
In the prologue episode watched the evo of Toosake, in this episode, first, of double duration, watch the evo of Emiya, in the same events, paralels, of the prologue episode. Thats nice this begining, but my taste, the before series, fate/zero, was better and atractive animation ...7/10.
Oct 29, 2016 12:58 PM

Mar 2010
Shirou is such a fucking novice it hurts to watch this... Why didn't his fucking dad teach him :l

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 3, 2017 3:20 PM

Oct 2013
Where the fudge is Shirou's dad? YEE Saber is in the house
Jan 22, 2017 6:28 AM

Dec 2016
Here we go again, it was to my understanding that the holy grail war was every 60 years...

So that's weird, hope it is explained later!
Mar 11, 2017 8:44 AM

Apr 2013
So we see the whole thing once again from Shirou's point of view. Lancer dares to call other people coward while he kills innocent people and runs away from a fight lol. Pussy.
Apr 6, 2017 7:19 PM

Jul 2009
Finally started this! Been awhile now, but I'm ready for some UBW action :D

Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 20, 2017 1:22 AM

Feb 2013
Rob said:
Already better than DEEN, but the bar wasn't high anyway. lol

Memes aside, this episode was way more boring than the first from Deen's. Drawn-out awkward dialogue, slow-pace, nothing happening. Took like 30+ mins to even be interested, and I've seen Fate Zero and love it. First episode from Deen has a lot more going on even without already having the Lancer action.

UBW: Tragic opener, 30 mins of dawdling, cool action
Deen: Mysterious fight, ominous talk about war, Tosaka summoning, better OP, tragic opener, summarized dawdling (all this with more varied music/atmosphere, but most of all way more natural dialogue) <- all within 20 mins

This is basically the director's debut seeing as this is his second, pretty poor job. Not same director as Fate Zero, which I could tell right off the bat
BlokeTokesApr 20, 2017 1:26 AM
Apr 20, 2017 10:12 AM

May 2013
Cool. I enjoyed this a lot :)

Archer <333333333 I LOVED it when Rin gave him permission to fight and then he disappeared :D
Jun 16, 2017 3:06 PM

Apr 2014
Well, I thought this will focus on Tosaka, at least the prologue did.
It's always a blessing to hear Kalafina!
Jul 5, 2017 7:04 PM

Dec 2012
That scene when Saber getting summoned so COOOOL!

Sep 6, 2017 2:14 PM
Sep 2009
An extremly slow episode. Apart from like last 10 minutes, there barely happened anything.

And I still cringe from main cast being kids. Even one of F/Z magicians would be enough to win this war here. Sigh, really hope this is better than original F/SN.
Mar 1, 2018 5:05 PM
Feb 2018
Just finished F/Z S1 & S2 from Netflix and just caught ep1 of UBW yesterday, also from Netflix. I have not read any of the VNs in the Fate series.
I'm not trying to necro an old thread (and I did not read all 25 pages of it), but why is this Grail War only 10 years from the last when F/Z regularly stated that the Grail Wars occur every SIXTY years.
Did I miss something?
Mar 1, 2018 9:00 PM

Oct 2014
Furuikage said:
Just finished F/Z S1 & S2 from Netflix and just caught ep1 of UBW yesterday, also from Netflix. I have not read any of the VNs in the Fate series.
I'm not trying to necro an old thread (and I did not read all 25 pages of it), but why is this Grail War only 10 years from the last when F/Z regularly stated that the Grail Wars occur every SIXTY years.
Did I miss something?

After the last war there was still leftover energy in the grail, reducing the time to 10 years.

Also, if you can, please try to read the VN instead of watching this if possible, this isn't a good adaptation.
Apr 16, 2018 11:03 PM

Dec 2014
Figured it was a reshow but someone told me the ending is a bit different from the others.

Geez, I always get so confused on this series order.

I watched in HD and man, these fights are just beautoful. Someone put Saber in a maid costume lawd.

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Aug 18, 2018 8:19 PM

Dec 2017
Quickest 48 mins i've ever watched
Objectivity? In my anime scoring? Of course not...
Sep 13, 2018 5:34 AM

Sep 2014
Ufotable bringing the new guns with this animation damn!

I remembered watching the 1st Fate/Stay Night and wow did the animation and visuals changed drastically. Can't wait!

Here's to hoping better things from now ~
Nov 5, 2018 10:08 AM

Feb 2015
I love Taiga so much, she never fails to make me smile.

Other than that... the funk was with that version of Gae Bolg?! I don't even know if anyone could dodge that shit.

The animation + fight scenes... good stuff.

I just realised it was 45+ mins not the actual 24 mins, it must've been that good since I didn't even notice.
Dec 7, 2018 2:03 AM
Jan 2017
i watch thefirst episiode i just can say,, its VERY FUCKING AMAZING ANIME EVER MADE..
this ufotable studios did great job the same studios that producing GOD EATER,,
Jan 3, 2019 2:35 AM

Aug 2017
Amazing animation.

This episode was a bit boring but I liked it anyway.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 22, 2019 12:42 PM
Aug 2018
Will they explain why all the witnesses of mages and the Holy Grail Wars are supposed to be killed?

And why are they held in a city with a few hundred citizens? (I'd assume the city has way more, but we barely see anyone in the anime...)
Mar 23, 2019 2:02 AM

Oct 2014
tr25a3 said:
Will they explain why all the witnesses of mages and the Holy Grail Wars are supposed to be killed?

keeping magic a secret from ordinary people.

witnesses aren't always killed, they can also be brainwashed and made to forget what they saw, but Lancer isn't the kind of guy who can do that
tr25a3 said:
And why are they held in a city with a few hundred citizens?

because
Jun 14, 2019 7:27 AM

Dec 2018
Illya already knows that Shirou is a Master.

Shirou calling Saber an idiot does put a smile on my face.

1 command seals wasted.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Aug 19, 2019 5:44 AM
Jul 2016
great episode it was long but i liked the calm vibes of it and the action too ^
Sep 22, 2019 1:58 AM

Dec 2014
so like just started to get into the fate series...hmm
Oct 31, 2019 12:07 AM

Apr 2018
OP sounds amazing. Saber best girl
Nov 17, 2019 11:09 PM

Apr 2009
I like this so far!
The plot reminds me of the story mode of Soul Calibur with different weapon users clashing to get an object of power. Really makes me nostalgic. :)
Jan 3, 2020 8:52 PM

Aug 2017
This is my first time with the Fate Series.

And good god, what a superb first impression.

The battle animation between Saber and Lancer dude was spectacular.

That Gae Bolg attack.

UFOTABLE sure knows how to make good animation.

NaroomakiJan 3, 2020 11:28 PM

Feb 3, 2020 2:36 AM
Sep 2019
Good opening, even if slightly inferior to the prologue. I am a fan of stories told from different points of view, so it was nice seeing the same events of FSN from Rin's perspective. Also interesting (and full of potential) seeing Saber reacting to Shirou's surname: having started the franchise from FZ, while watching the Fate route I would have loved this kind of references.
Animation seems quite improved compared to FSN, and characterization as well.
I felt quite clever when I realized the reason why Lancer only has his red spear.
Looking forward to finding out the identity of Archer.
May 12, 2020 9:15 PM

Jan 2019
First time watching Fate. I know I could've understood more if I watched Zero first, but I think I'm going to enjoy having some mystery here.

I very much enjoyed the parallels between episodes 0 and 1, and the moments when they intersected. I wonder if that style will continue or if that was a one-off.

The fight sequence between Saber and Lancer made my jaw literally drop a bit. And from what I heard the best is yet to come.
Jul 10, 2020 12:55 PM

Aug 2019
The Saber vs Lancer fight was amazing. Can't believe how much of an improvement this is over F/SN. It was interesting watching the same things in a different perspective from the prologue.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Nov 17, 2020 7:07 PM

Aug 2019
I’m glad that Shirou isn’t as much of a pushover as he is in F/SN, at least he didn’t just tell Shinji he’d gladly clean the dojo like he did before but I guess it doesn’t matter because he does it regardless. Also fuck Shinji and his two groupies that follow him.
Dec 18, 2020 2:32 PM

Apr 2018
So far the first ep was sick the same as episode 0. Cant wait to see more of the story progression and that Gae Bolg skill was sick.
Dec 23, 2020 11:59 AM

Jul 2020
Rin is waifu material wtf I’ve been sleeping on Fate for too long. Kiritsugu looks nice too, I’m guessing he’s going to be in the story more since he was the first person introduced to have magic.
Apr 26, 2021 1:57 PM

Feb 2020
So Rin and Archer aren't the mains despite Rin being the lead in the prologue ? That's a shame, I liked them right-away (especially Rin), while in opposition I have a feeling some time will be needed for Shirou and Saber to grow on me.

And so I finally make my first step into the Fate franchise. Aside from my disappointment regarding who the main characters will be in this season (and probably the others), I'm interested. I can't say I'm completely amazed for now but it's intriguing, I'm looking forward to the rest and I hope Shirou and Saber will reveal themselves to be more interesting than they seem (especially Saber, she is such a popular character I hope it's for a real reason and not just because she's cool).
May 13, 2021 6:52 PM
Oct 2019
well that was just like watching the 2006 version all over again. which is NOT a good thing. i don't care about "animation". i care about story and characters, and this just feels like a continuation of the boring story and stale characters that the 2006 version had

sigh. were my expectations too high for this franchise?

did dude just waste one of his seals telling invisible sword servant to "stop"? was that supposed to happen in the 2016 version, too? or is it supposed to be different in this "route". (i say "route", but idk wtf that actually means since i dropped the 2006 version after 6 episodes and haven't watched/read any other media)

since this was nearly identical to the 2006 version's early episodes, when do they start to diverge (WITHOUT spoilers)?

oh, and how tf did the teacher eat breakfast, leave early, and then still get to class (almost) late? goody two shoe boy ate breakfast, did the dishes, got to school early to repair things, and still beat her to class? that just makes no sense. and it's legitimately annoying how the teacher is always around for meals. well, and her personality is a bit much for me, too

5 or 6/10 to start...
HagePotPotatoMay 13, 2021 6:59 PM
May 30, 2021 3:01 AM

Apr 2020
Amazing animation

New characters look good

As someone who liked fate zero very much, I hope I enjoy this season a lot!
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Pages (26) « First ... « 23 24 [25] 26 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1042 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

856 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

2751 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

903 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

1630 by SanessyAdversary »»
Jan 19, 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.