Forum Settings
Forums

What anime series were you so hype to watch but turned out to be aweful?

New
Nov 9, 2017 3:47 PM
Apr 2016
I don't want to remember being EXTREMELY hyped about watching sword art online,not only because it was extremely aweful but after I watched it,I had to go to a serious emergency to the hospital..I'm not even joking.So now,what about you?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 9, 2017 3:55 PM

Apr 2012
Was really hyped about watching Bounen no Xamdou because the first episode is fab and the synopsis looked great, but the writing ffs, way to ruin a series.

Innocent Venus was like that too. Nothing is more disappointing than something that starts well.
Nov 9, 2017 3:55 PM

Apr 2017
Black Clover. The MC's voice acting destroyed the show lol
Nov 9, 2017 4:05 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
I heard so much hype about Love Stage even from males and thought that it had to be at least decent. Oh how wrong I was.
Nov 9, 2017 4:06 PM

Oct 2017
I already new SAO was going to be bad, same with Black Clover. The biggest disappointment was Shingeki no Kyojin. One of the best starts to any anime, just to end up a shitty mystery based plot.
Nov 9, 2017 4:09 PM

Aug 2014
Shobitch..
Was reading Manga before the anime and ended up disappointed.
Was expecting it like STKY.
Nov 9, 2017 4:39 PM

Jul 2017
Kabaneri, first episode was pretty cool, but it went down hill from there.
Re: Creators, massive train wreck, it got better towards the end.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Nov 9, 2017 4:42 PM

May 2017
Erased. It WAS glorious all the way to the ending. Then...they hit us with a lackluster ending to what was looking to be an amazing anime.
Nov 9, 2017 4:44 PM

Dec 2012
Zankyou no Terror. The first few episodes were so good but then nothing made any sense anymore. In the end it was just pure garbage.
Nov 9, 2017 4:45 PM

Jan 2017
Kimi no Na wa just felt like a roller coaster ride of a disappointment.
Nov 9, 2017 4:47 PM

Apr 2010
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Horrendous in every aspect,watching that show was as exciting as watching the wall paint dry.
Also,it is a 24 episode long show,I felt like my flesh is decaying and falling off my bones.
Nov 9, 2017 4:48 PM

Mar 2013
Akame ga Kill. It had a strong start and some awesome fights but it went downhill in the last few episodes and the deaths had no impact whatsoever after a certain point.

Nov 9, 2017 4:50 PM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
Well, I just have to mention The Tatami Galaxy. I get the whole idea behind it, but it was a super troublesome journey for me. English isn't my native language, so it was quite hard to keep up with how fast-paced stuff was. I just couldn't enjoy the show at all.
Nov 9, 2017 4:55 PM

Apr 2016
Erased was terrible, and it was even more painful because how good it was early on. Then it decided to do a 180 and have a terrible ending. I was sad as f.
Nov 9, 2017 4:58 PM

Oct 2017
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu. Waited around a year (or however long after it was announced) just to get an anime I couldn't even finish the third episode of.

Also, Erased. It fell apart after 8 episodes.

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Nov 9, 2017 5:00 PM

May 2014
Mayoiga. The premise looked highly promising. The characters, setting, atmosphere, everything looked perfect for a horror anime. But as I went along watching, nothing happened and was a big let down.

Can probably say the same for Ousama Game.
Nov 9, 2017 5:00 PM

Jan 2017
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo.

So i was like; oh look, apparently a good romance anime. Turned out to be A CRINGE PARTY.

Thrust said:

Horrendous in every aspect,watching that show was as exciting as watching the wall paint dry.
Also,it is a 24 episode long show,I felt like my flesh is decaying and falling off my bones.

Is it that bad?!?!?! I'm planing to watch it D:

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Nov 9, 2017 5:05 PM

Sep 2016
Dies Irae. The trailer made it look interesting. It was not.
Nov 9, 2017 5:09 PM

Apr 2010
KannoSugako said:
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo.

So i was like; oh look, apparently a good romance anime. Turned out to be A CRINGE PARTY.

Thrust said:

Is it that bad?!?!?! I'm planing to watch it D:

Well,if you don't mind:

- overpowered MC (I don't)
- incestuous "romance" ("romance" because even as it is in this show,there's absolutely nothing romantic)
- undeveloping characters
- extremely poor storyline
- characters talk about some overly annoying pseudo-scientific magic gibberish ALL THE TIME

If you can swallow and digest all this above,you might want to give it a shot. ;)
Nov 9, 2017 5:28 PM

Apr 2013
everything after 2011, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting much
Nov 9, 2017 5:35 PM

Apr 2017
Code Geass

"It's like Death Note, with giant robots" is all I heard. So, naturally, I had to watch it.

19 episodes later of me forcing myself to watch it, I decided it was the the worst pieces of crap I have ever seen and dropped it.

Biggest.Dissopointment.Ever
Nov 9, 2017 5:44 PM

Jul 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nichijou (comedy is just subjective, but still a shame since I was really expecting a lot from this one), Hibike S2 (I loved the first season, but the drama of the second was so terrible and boring to watch.)

If this includes hype while airing, Seikaisuru Kado let me down in a whole new level, what a disappointment after the fantastic 8 episodes.
Nov 9, 2017 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
really got annoyed with time travel in anime. only one that's really any good is stein's gate, and it still feels adolescent in comparison ti hg wells or doctor who
Nov 9, 2017 5:47 PM

Mar 2016
Some parts of the Monogatari series
Madoka Magica
Nov 9, 2017 5:48 PM

Dec 2016
MegaMaverick said:
Code Geass

"It's like Death Note, with giant robots" is all I heard. So, naturally, I had to watch it.

19 episodes later of me forcing myself to watch it, I decided it was the the worst pieces of crap I have ever seen and dropped it.

Biggest.Dissopointment.Ever

R1 is not that bad, is quite catchy, entertaining, well-defined, in terms of story and characters, and has a clear direction, it knows what it wants to do and be.

It's R2 the one that messed everything up, it was a full disaster. I'll never get the praise towards it. It's a pity since R1 gave it SO much potential it completely wasted.

(With this I'm answering the question of this topic, I guess)
Nov 9, 2017 6:02 PM

Apr 2017
neon-kun said:
R1 is not that bad, is quite catchy, entertaining, well-defined, in terms of story and characters, and has a clear direction, it knows what it wants to do and be.

I completely disagree. R1 was horrible trash.

Everyone's unlikeable, especially Sazuka. Cringe worthy "humorous" scenes especially when when they're at high school (like spending half a episode trying to catch a cat)

Unlike Light and L, Lelouch never came off as genuinely smart, more like plot convenience after plot conveniences that end up in his favour.

The Mecha fights were horrible. It never felt like two heavy, metal robots fighting. Instead, it felt like two action figures hitting eachother.

Unnecessary tits and ass for all the horny 15 year old boys.

Somehow, no matter how dark, serious or dramatic the show got, it still had the same bright and colourful visuals. Which really took me out of the show.

This guy does a better job at explaining how horrible this show really is - https://youtu.be/5q-9EotzBZU
Nov 9, 2017 6:19 PM

Apr 2017
Date a Live movie, the movie just disappointing.
Then the Summer 2017 shows, like Hajimete no Gal, Isekai Smartphone.
Mahou Sensou is awful, Prince of Stride ending is poor, but the rest of the show is great.

Looks like thats it.

Thrust said:

Is it that disappointing? I am a bit fine with it... And, may I ask what is your signature from? Thanks
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Nov 9, 2017 6:28 PM

Mar 2017
Dies Irae, I've absolutely no idea what is currently going on? Some random guys with magic beat the crap out of MC and don't even tell him why.
Nov 9, 2017 6:34 PM

Apr 2010
CrallyLystia said:
Mahou Sensou is awful, Prince of Stride ending is poor, but the rest of the show is great.

Looks like thats it.

Thrust said:

Is it that disappointing? I am a bit fine with it... And, may I ask what is your signature from? Thanks

I was very disappointed,indeed. Don't be fooled by its overall score,it will surely go down. I don't know,man...Shows like Zetsuen no Tempest and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei make me want to watch and read spoilers when I plan to see the next 24 episode show...Because I had these two series both on my hard drive and the result was it took me almost a month to see Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and another 2 months for Zetsuen No Tempest,and I'm still stuck at episode 20 trying to make myself see it through all the way to the end.

The signature is from: https://myanimelist.net/anime/11241/Brave_10
Nov 9, 2017 6:34 PM

Sep 2015
The main two that come to mind are Clannad and 5 Centimetres per Second.

Was told countless times that Clannad was the greatest romance anime of all time and that it hits you in the feels. Now if by hit me in the feels meant making me want to end it all with a noose, then it definitely worked. Like I understand why people like After Story, but I just do not understand the first season. The whole structuring of it is just fucking dumb. Its humour is braindead, it's drama is painful to sit through, and the characters can all eat a bag of dicks.

And then there's 5 Centimetres per Second. Only hyped up for me cause I watched Garden of Words which was excellent. It's probably the most boring movie I have ever watched.
Nov 9, 2017 6:40 PM

May 2009
dvbx_073 said:
Madoka Magica
Having really enjoyed a handful of magical girl shows, from the children-oriented Fresh Pretty Cure to the more adult-oriented Nanoha series and Uta~Kata and Umi Monogatari, at least one of which addresses some darker themes and at least two of which I like a lot, I was expecting to really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, Madoka Magica turned out to be dry, sort of overly intellectual and wordy without being emotionally impactful, and complex in a contrived way in order to force a philosophical dilemma or something rather than having a story that flowing naturally. I felt a lack of engagement with the story.

The only parts of it that I really liked are:
* Homura and her desired result, and I firmly opine that she was unfairly and intentionally screwed by the universe she existed in
* to a lesser extent, Kyouko Sakura telling her backstory.

The rest of it felt...boring and dry and somewhat forced.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 9, 2017 6:50 PM

Nov 2011
Umineko no naku koro ni. I watched higurashi, its sister series, and loved it. Naturally I figured umineko would be great too. Boy was I wrong.

Nov 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Nov 2016
Bakemonogatari one of the first animes i add to my ptw , didnt watched it for long time so hype just grow and grow.Δ° normally drop something soon as i get bored but force watched 11 ep of it because i was so hyped but nope romance wasn't intresting , comedy lacking, long and boring dialouges...
Nov 9, 2017 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
people who shame others for watching a particular anime should all just go die in a fire already.
Nov 9, 2017 7:39 PM
May 2017
Black clover. Had to turn down volume each sentence spoken always consist of this guy MC yelling also the voice actor was pretty shitty.

Nov 9, 2017 7:39 PM

Sep 2017
Black Clover. The voice actor for Asta was so bad I just could not continue.
Nov 9, 2017 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
91 Days: dark, revenge, "mature" anime, about mafia?
Fuck yes.
After finishing the anime and thinking back on it: The most boring drama I've seen. Plot solely relies on killing off characters who've had 0 development, nor does it take advantage of the fact that it's anime, instead trying as hard as it can to be, "realistic".
Nov 9, 2017 7:47 PM
May 2017
MegaMaverick said:
This guy does a better job at explaining how horrible this show really is - https://youtu.be/5q-9EotzBZU
That video is full of nitpicks at best.
Nov 9, 2017 7:58 PM

Apr 2017
Thrust said:
CrallyLystia said:

Looks like thats it.

I was very disappointed,indeed. Don't be fooled by its overall score,it will surely go down. I don't know,man...Shows like Zetsuen no Tempest and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei make me want to watch and read spoilers when I plan to see the next 24 episode show...Because I had these two series both on my hard drive and the result was it took me almost a month to see Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and another 2 months for Zetsuen No Tempest,and I'm still stuck at episode 20 trying to make myself see it through all the way to the end.

The signature is from: https://myanimelist.net/anime/11241/Brave_10

I see, i know such feeling, i also had shows i just cant seem to finish.
The show you linked me seems interesting, im going to try it.
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Nov 9, 2017 8:00 PM

Jan 2015
Pirate said:
everything after 2011, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting much

lots of excellent shows appeared after 2011

kabaneri and erased seem like top candidates for this thread, I would like to chip in an Under the Dog
Nov 9, 2017 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
there's nothing wrong with the acting in black clover.
it's the writing for that character that's bad.
Nov 9, 2017 8:08 PM
Aug 2016
+ 1 for Your Name/Kimi no Na Wa.

I had high expectations for this film. It was not awful though, but the story was just boring. The visuals on this film is great, but left a disappointment.
Nov 9, 2017 8:11 PM

Jul 2014
I wasn't exactly hyped for watching it, but Nisekoi sounded like a fun show to watch. My God, did it turn out to be awful.
Nov 9, 2017 8:23 PM

Oct 2015
Life is just one big disappointment.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Nov 9, 2017 8:24 PM

Sep 2017
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi. The first 10 episodes were great then the last 2 rpisodes ruined it.
Second is Isekai Smartphone. It had a huge potential and it could beat SAO in story and action scenes but the harem life ruined it.
Nov 9, 2017 8:25 PM
Jun 2017
DemonicDax said:
Erased. It WAS glorious all the way to the ending. Then...they hit us with a lackluster ending to what was looking to be an amazing anime.

agree with you, Erased has beautiful build up
it's like looking as the foundation rock of a skyscraper, and it look amazing, only for the actual building to be the most mundane look one
what it need is some injection of Gen Urobuchi or Nisio Isin
Nov 9, 2017 8:27 PM

Apr 2015
I honestly have no idea how I feel about Code Geass. I thought I was entertained, but it clearly wasn't enough if I still have no motivation to get past the halfway mark. And the more I think about it...the show is insanely stupid.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 9, 2017 8:27 PM

May 2015
akiba trip the animation

boy, original material for it far superior than the animation

janne

Nov 9, 2017 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
SAO. It was very popular and hyped, and I didn't read any reviews online back then so I didn't know it was hated. 1st few episodes were OK, after that it got worse and worse.
Nov 9, 2017 9:18 PM

Oct 2015
LaxusDUchiha said:

Second is Isekai Smartphone. It had a huge potential and it could beat SAO in story and action scenes but the harem life ruined it.

Wait, what?

To add on my previous statement (cause character limit), I don't really hype myself up. Except Jojo. And I I lowered my expectations when I read part 5, but it was still amazing.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 6 hours ago

8 by Kenzolo-folk »»
10 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - Yesterday

33 by TheMechaManiac »»
11 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - May 26

28 by TheMechaManiac »»
14 minutes ago

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - May 28

19 by eblf2013 »»
25 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

36 by APolygons2 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.