Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Girls' Last Tour
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 28, 2017 6:12 AM
Jun 2016
Himawari9 said:
Tenderizer17 said:
My main issue, is that it is in itself an existential commentary to have the characters as the only people in the world. I honestly thought this show was going in that direction and it would have been amazing if it did. A large part of how people value themselves is by their influence on others, and it'd be incredibly interesting if we could observe what would happen if that was restricted to two people in irrefutable isolation.

I think you misunderstood because of the synopsis. This is a post-apocalypse world and there would be other humans beside Yuuri and Chito. It is just the world is too vast and the human's population is pretty small so it is rare for them to meet other people. But the girls will definitely meet others on their journey though.
I'm well aware that I misunderstood the synopsis, but that's not relevant. The fact of the matter is; I was more interested in the interpretation of the synopsis which I discerned, than I was for the actual turn of events. For the first two episodes I was loving this show, but when I found out I made a mistake I came to like it a lot less.

Still is astronomically better than the shit which scored just below this on the seasonal ranking though. I don't even know why I gave that one a chance.
Oct 28, 2017 6:52 AM
Aug 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
Himawari9 said:

I think you misunderstood because of the synopsis. This is a post-apocalypse world and there would be other humans beside Yuuri and Chito. It is just the world is too vast and the human's population is pretty small so it is rare for them to meet other people. But the girls will definitely meet others on their journey though.
I'm well aware that I misunderstood the synopsis, but that's not relevant. The fact of the matter is; I was more interested in the interpretation of the synopsis which I discerned, than I was for the actual turn of events. For the first two episodes I was loving this show, but when I found out I made a mistake I came to like it a lot less.

Still is astronomically better than the shit which scored just below this on the seasonal ranking though. I don't even know why I gave that one a chance.

K. I like this anime but the concept you said is pretty interesting too. I wonder if there is any anime or manga similar to that.
Oct 28, 2017 6:59 AM
Jun 2016
Himawari9 said:
Tenderizer17 said:

K. I like this anime but the concept you said is pretty interesting too. I wonder if there is any anime or manga similar to that.
Not that I know of, because a standard slice of life anime is defined by mundane life with a constant influx of new characters (Which is something that frequently bothers me), and so I assume, most manga artists aren't equipped to write an extended narrative with a tightly restricted cast.

EDIT: After some quick perusing of the internet, I found Planetarian might be ... something. No idea what it is, but might be what I described. I bought the visual novel a while ago without reading the synopsis, so I'll play that at some point and see whether it's what I was looking for from Girls' Last Tour
Tenderizer79Oct 28, 2017 7:07 AM
Oct 28, 2017 10:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
both girls found a other man....is strange in a world when is hard find a other person, life in solitary is a little r--!!!
Well, one point about the world, when they spoke about the world, said that world was constructed by other humans, and after lifes other or similiar explained!!!
Oct 29, 2017 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
A really good episode. Better than the first two. This was surprisingly insightful and shockingly beautiful.
Nov 1, 2017 8:37 AM

Jun 2014
Not gonna lie, this made me tear up by the end. This show is absolutely phenomenal, it's exceeding every expectation I had about it. It's such a sad series, but it also mixes in - I don't want to say moments of joy or happiness, but it mixes in the feelings of life itself, the feeling of just moving on, no matter what. Felt bad for the map dude, I hope he manages to make all his maps again.

This setting is and background of the world is just tragic, since it seems like the world recovered once from an already post apocalyptic world and the history just repeated itself, so sad.

The atmosphere that the 2 girls create riding their vehicle around these gray, endless concrete filled landscapes creates something I've truly never seen before, you can only get something like this from Japan. This show evokes a feeling I've never really felt before. I love how the characters also constantly ask themselves simple yet complicated questions that don't have straight answers.

Shaping up to be one of my favorites of the year. You just don't get series like this one, post apocalyptic contemplative series. Bless whoever thought it was a good idea to give this amazing manga an anime, thank you, also thanks to the people in charge of the show, they're doing an amazing job.
:3
Nov 2, 2017 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting architecture. Surprising another character was introduced only to leave again.
Nov 19, 2017 11:03 AM

Dec 2016
I didn't think they were gonna find another human so early but hey as long as he didn't do anything evil, which he didn't, then hey who cares!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 2, 2017 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
Not bad episode, actually it striked me how one place in the distance is enough to keep you going... But Yuuri is a real psycho with that gun, like she was pointing on his head almost all the time and probably doesn't even have self-preservation instinct.

Nice atmosphere on the upper level though. Wonder if they meet more people in the upcoming episodes.
Dec 4, 2017 5:19 AM

Feb 2014
Between the book burning in the previous episode and dropping the maps, watching them lose priceless knowledge in a post apocalyptic world has been surprisingly stressful lol.

And I wonder what happened to the people who built all these insanely huge structures, since according to the new guy, they were long gone when these people first arrived and started living in their city. Also, I hope they didn't turn the entire planet into one giant city, because by the looks of it, they were very much capable of doing it. If not, then maybe Chito and Yuu can get out of the city and start "living off the land" in the wilderness (if there's still any left), because that way they would have a much better chance at long term survival. Those military rations and canned foods aren't going to stay edible for long.
Dec 8, 2017 5:23 AM

Oct 2012
Poor Kanazawa.. well as long he's alive he can make it from scratch again

I'm glad this is a SOL anime.. Imagine it's like Metro 2033 or Fallout, they're 100% going to shoot at each other.. just because xD

I hope we'll meet Kanazawa again, he can just join with Chii and Yuu
"Signature removed"
Dec 15, 2017 1:45 PM

Sep 2013
They should've made kids with this guy.
Dec 18, 2017 10:15 AM

Apr 2015
"Hey, Yuu. Why do people live?" Chito had a good point, considering the situation they're in. I wonder if she's ever contemplated suicide considering how bleak things are/her apparent traumatic memories of the war we saw in her flashback in the first episode, and how much more serious/in trouble with reality she is compared to Yuuri.

So somebody else is alive...an older gentleman who also seemed to think he was the last person alive. Just how many survivors are there?

"Favor?" Jesus, Yuuri, put the gun down. If there's one thing this war should have proven, it's that violence doesn't solve anything.

"Working up a sweat for the first time in a while really makes you feel alive..." Knowing Yuuri, I'd think it'd just make her hungry.

"Be careful. She burns other people's books." Not intentionally, at least!

I do wonder if there could be more survivors on a higher level then where Chito and Yuuri are. It's also possible that they got wiped out with everything else though - perhaps even easier than the lower levels, since being higher makes them an easy first target.

Not gonna lie, I was fully expecting Kanazawa to kill himself at one point without the map, especially since he'd said earlier that he couldn't live without it. It's almost like he was saved from suicide by that fruit-flavored bar Yuuri gave him.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 26, 2017 5:18 PM

May 2012
Damn, that sure is a shame that he lost all his maps :/ good episode though! Let's see what's next.
Dec 30, 2017 1:54 AM

Aug 2015
I actually liked this episode.
I think this is good for watching to put oneself in a calm mood before sleep, and it's not as boring as Non Non Byori or Flying Witch
Dec 31, 2017 12:55 PM

Feb 2014
it was better if they keep together. Maybe.
Jan 4, 2018 12:14 PM

Mar 2012
RIP maps, nice job lad.
Jan 23, 2018 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
Wow! There is life in that world, what a surprise! The joy of the opening stride with the atmosphere that is experienced in the episodes and with the greyness of situational contexts, to give a hand to it we also think the two protagonists who with their sympathy less weigh the anxiety aspect derived from the places that they cross the two girls. The existential questions seem to be the daily bread of this anime series, the soundtrack is catchy. What a fear I had when the elevator stopped abruptly.
Jan 23, 2018 9:30 PM
Sep 2015
Wow that opening question. The very core of this anime. Not wasting time.

I am skeptical about having more characters but it was handled extremely well, and left at the end.

Why are we here? The guest was here to make maps, but what happens when we lose our "purpose?"

This anime touches on all of existentialism, nihilism, and absurdism.

Tenderizer17 said:

Also, the show would lend itself to a greater existential commentary if it was just Chito and Yuri. Having this guy show up completely detracts from what could have been a full application of the setting.

I really wish they kept the cast down to Chito and Yuri. And I mean REALLY wish.

Agreed. It's pretty disappointing though at least they had a clear purpose and handled it well for what it's worth.
ac_bdJan 23, 2018 9:39 PM
Mar 1, 2018 8:15 PM

Mar 2015
Oh poor Kanazawa!

I really am enjoying the sense of mystery here.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 31, 2018 11:17 PM

Jan 2016
Oh my god that was extremely fucking cruel. Dude just wanted to make his maps, it was all he had. ;_;

I'm glad he could still muster up the will to live. It's very pleasant to see such a nice guy in a world like that.
mintkatMar 31, 2018 11:21 PM
May 6, 2018 4:17 PM

Jan 2018
I love the feeling of vastness from these landscape shots. It's beautiful!

The new guy is okay. He reminds me of Hal Emmerich for some reason.

Jan 23, 2020 8:31 PM

Sep 2018
Finally there's other person besides them!
The guy live alone for a long time?? That's scary! but he still leave them 😞 why?!!!!!
Apr 24, 2020 9:22 AM

Dec 2013
I thought Kanazawa might be a bad guy who will steal their vehicle and belongings. Good thing he isn't. And even helped the get fuel. I feel bad for him though, he lost his map. I wonder if they will meet again.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 11, 2020 9:15 AM

May 2015
Eyy another level, another road.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 28, 2020 8:17 AM

Jun 2020
finally more info on their geography... it appeared to have tiers of society
Oct 5, 2020 12:00 PM

Nov 2017
This anime is WAY better than people have put it off as. It's like a big long movie. Very high quality and pretty/beautiful. Damn, people should've been reccing this more backinthaday.

So much existentialist angst against nature and environment.
Nov 23, 2020 12:05 PM

Apr 2018
They finally meet another survivor. The view and scenery in this anime are so nice. Felt bad for Kanazawa tho he lost all his maps going up that darn elevator.
Feb 1, 2021 11:46 PM

Aug 2015
It's kinda weird to see a throwaway character in such setting. Don't know how I feel about it. I guess you just shouldn't take this show very seriously.
But then again, the guy just goes off to die after he lost the only thing that was important to him - this doesn't really fit well with simply "relaxing" SOL.
Feb 16, 2021 6:59 PM

Jul 2019
Good episode.

I still see Kanazawa has the same dead inside looks from before lol. His hobby is interesting too, would also help out a world like this a ton.
Mar 11, 2021 5:18 PM

Jan 2020
Ah, there's finally a new character.
He didn't eel like a waste, or well at least he wasn't a boring side character.
Overall this episode felt pretty relaxing~
Oct 26, 2021 2:05 AM

Jun 2016
Nordhammer said:
HereticHunter said:

Then, that means that everything were exactly as I had expected when I saw the trailer and the synopsis. I now know why I can't enjoy this anime.

You may want to re-watch these first three episodes and listen to what the girls say and how their voice actors say their lines.

This is a iyashikei slice of life,you're meant to ponder how the girls can find enjoyment,happiness in carrying on their daily lives. In this episode Chito and Yuuri both ask and semi-answer what they are living on for,life-hardly " nihilistic"

Did you not watch the girls risk their own lives to save the mapmaker's? Did you not see the girls lecture the mapmaker of the value of life and living on?

Yuuri pointing her gun at Chito was an act and Chito responded in kind,both were playing at "war" period.So NO Yuuri is not,nor ever,going to kill Chito over food.

Think of Girls's Last Tour as K-On! with a depressing setting.
No murder,no bloody mayhem,no rape,no treachery;nothing of the sort happens in Girls's Last Tour.- just think K-On! with a depressing setting.

The setting as told by the anime- Once there was an ancient civilization which all but wiped out all life on the planet due to a vast war over the remaining few resources and living space.

The survivors started civilization over,living amongst the ruins of the old civilization and for more than 100 tears now each generation loses more and more knowledge and their populations dwindle.

Oh and another war broke out,humanity right?

I get and agree with what you're saying here, but I also get where HereticHunter is coming from ~ the combination just isn't very thematically cohesive. The world and its aesthetic is great and carries the little moments towards the end of each episode, but going from the silly OP to "Why are we alive?" to ultimately stakeless dramatic moments because CGDCT doesn't mesh with what's going on visually, isn't hooking some of us in. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but at this point I'd say Humanity Has Declined's take on a cute apocalypse worked way better.
Mar 24, 2022 9:40 PM

Feb 2021
it was OKAY, at least there was some tension this time
Mar 26, 2022 2:45 AM

Mar 2018
I can really feel the potential of this show, the atmosphere, setting and world all feel intriguing. I really hope this show uses his interesting setting properly and takes a dark turn as it has the potential to hit hard, I would be a little disappointed if this was just a straight Slice of Life all the way through.
Celest__Mar 26, 2022 8:26 AM
Apr 20, 2022 10:50 AM
Nov 2020
the dude just jumped... That really messed with me man
Aug 7, 2022 10:14 PM

Feb 2017
That building falling could give them mesothelioma, but after bathing in pipe water and eating fish from a run-off, and burning metal with fuel, their toxin exposure is already to the moon.

I wish the cartographer had continued to travel with them. My first instinct in a world like this would be to gather people together and build a little village.
Floral_soapAug 7, 2022 10:54 PM
Nov 17, 2022 4:55 AM

Oct 2022
This episode was fantastic. It was cool to see the girls interact with a new person and I appreciated the little things like calling back the time Yuu went all Fahrenheit 451, and especially Chi with her fear of heights. I thought especially her animation in that scene really sold it.

Above all though, I think this episode did a phenomenal job of showing us why Yuu's mindset can actually be an asset in this kind of setting. Yes she's kind of idiot, but simplistic outlook allows her to just be content with existing, and in turn I think she helps Chi in ways we saw her help Kanazawa. Becuase I'm not quite sure what Chi would've said in that situation, if anything at all, to try and console him. I think as the story continues we'll see more examples of Yuu being this unexpected emotional rock for Chi.

Nov 26, 2022 9:39 PM

Jan 2010

This is actually a pretty depressing series all things considered, but the cute Hidamari Sketch-like character designs help to alleviate that bleakness. At first I was a bit turned off by the aesthetic, as I wouldn't normally associate cute designs with existential ponderings in a technological world beyond salvation, but it's somehow working. I guess the designs are easy on the eyes, allowing more attention to be given to what is being said and shown. Though, the character designs could potentially be distracting depending on the viewer, but as someone who is at least used to the general anime designs of the present time, the aesthetics of Girls' Last Tour don't really phase me, which allows me to watch the show without getting distracted by small nitpicks for too long.

The talk about the meaning of life and the reason for living was kind of glossed over, but it was later brought back up to bring the episode into full circle. Is it more meaningful to have a specific purpose in life to work towards, such as Kanazawa's cartography? Is it better to have no particular purpose like Chi, where you don't have any particular goals, and thus nothing in particular fear losing? There's probably no one answer, and both aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but as far as post-apocalyptic world building and exploration goes, it sets the show up for a Kino's Journey-esque frame of mind. We're watching characters travel from place to place, meeting different people and internalizing each encounter to gain a better understanding of the world. Well, perhaps not specifically to learn more about the world, but to at least satisfy fleeting curiosities. Girls' Last Tour teeters between traveling to learn and traveling to survive. There's no clear goal yet, but perhaps there doesn't need to be one.
Jan 18, 2023 7:24 PM

Mar 2010
The scenery was just breath taking and I felt like I was up high as well. But no offense but the lad missed a huge opportunity to ra ape them.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 22, 4:25 AM
Sep 2023
Is so cute how that dude followed them and really, despite of Yuu being afraid of him at the start, then she ends up linking him. So cute!
Mar 8, 9:41 AM

Sep 2021
If I was the guy, as soon as we reached the top of the tower I wouldve went back down and spent idk how long TO GET MY MAPS BACK. Because ain't no way ima lose years and years of work.

Mar 22, 2:26 AM
Oct 2019
Wow never thought gonna meet another survivor.

Very interesting world building concept with the layers.

NOOO not the Map...
Poor Kanazawa.

Why he is not trying to go back down to look for his Map?
Apr 12, 6:26 AM
Oct 2021
nice to see they meet new person there
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

124 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 24, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

92 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 24, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

124 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 22, 6:22 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

128 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 17, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

158 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 9, 8:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.