Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2017 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
The combined 36th and 37th issue of Shueisha's Young Jump magazine will reveal on its Thursday release that Ryuu Fujisaki's fantasy manga Houshin Engi (Soul Hunter) will get a new TV anime adaptation. The announcement was stated that it will be a remake and three new voice cast members have been revealed.

Cast
Taikoubou: Kensho Ono (Bungou Stray Dogs)
Bunchuu: Tomoaki Maeno (Death Parade)
Sibuxiang: Takahiro Sakurai (Osomatsu-san)

Houshin Engi was serialized under Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump magazine from 1996 to 2000. Shueisha has released are 23 compiled manga volumes. North American manga publisher VIZ Media has released all volumes in English as Hoshin Engi.

The series has inspired a 26-episode anime adaptation titled Senkaiden Houshin Engi produced by Studio Deen and directed by Junji Nishimura (Kyou kara Maou!) in 1999.

Source: Yaraon!

Houshin Engi on MAL
arsonalJul 31, 2017 9:07 AM
Jul 31, 2017 3:56 AM

Jun 2014
Cool! Hopefully it's a loyal adaptation.
:3
Jul 31, 2017 4:10 AM

Dec 2015
What the?! This is coming out from nowhere. o_O The author hasn't even a series currently in the JUMP.
Qhat are they trying to sell? A new edition? Kanzenban? *_*

"inspired" is the right word about the first anime. XD Though, at least, they had the japanese novel to land on their feet, had they wanted to try.
I thought a "remake" was taking something original and remake it. This looks more like a second adaptation of the manga (based on a jap.novel, based on a chinese novel, inspired by historical facts).

Anyway, I doubt this will be worth anything:
- Fujisaki's drawings are great but aren't made at all to move.
- how did they intend to cover twenty-three volumes in 13 or 26 episodes (nothing lasts longer nowadays)
at the very least, I hope it triggers a new french edition in larger size, with colours from the magazine.

It will be weird to watch this with the japanese names: my comics used one of their chinese names for every character (ex: Taigong Wang for Taikobô, Daji for Dakki), in order to convey the setting better.

@Cain_7 Even the manga doesn't follow the original novel (who's not original, read my above reaction). It introduces a lot of anachronistic elements because the mangaka likes sci-fi.
The anime is: quite ugly (and I love cellulo animation), presents a full story by covering the few early chapters then at mid-points cramming characters/events to reach an original conclusion that's somewhat reminiscent of the beginning of the end of the manga (it's logic since the story wasn't fully new). It "sacrifices" around 80% of the events, characters and doesn't even exploit all the introduced characters. Of course, the violence is highly toned down. And all the whereabouts are not entirely revealed.
The manga is in a sense a typical shônen nekketsu with a very large cast (where every character ends up being useful later) and several arcs: quests, battles, ennemy territory invasion, final boss, etc.

@Tenth Just keep in mind while watching that the first TV adaptation isn't representative at all of the title

@Chibi_Alice It's not a sequel. They will adapt the manga, again.
Rei_IIIJul 31, 2017 2:18 PM
Jul 31, 2017 4:25 AM

Jul 2010
Interesting, need to check out the anime from the 90s and maybe the manga too before then.
Jul 31, 2017 4:43 AM

Apr 2015
lol I can't believe this got another adaptation. It felt like one of those series that would just sit there for times to come. Hopefully things take a more serious turn, like a more loyal adaptation for one thing, maybe like an FMAB-style reboot.
Jul 31, 2017 5:08 AM

Mar 2008
oh, what a surprise ~ i can't believe i'll get to watch taikoubou again :'D my memories abt this anime a bit blurry but i'm sure i'll recognize bou-chan

Jul 31, 2017 5:42 AM
Dec 2013
So a Weekly Shounen Jump manga, that ended in 2000, is getting another anime adaptation. Um, ok, cool. I've never seen the original, but I guess it'll be a complete adaptation this time. Keep them remakes coming. I think this'll be the second time a Weekly Shounen Jump manga gets a new TV anime, the first one being Hunter x Hunter (Dragon Ball Kai doesn't count). Wonder if WSJ's Rurouni Kenshin or Slam Dunk will ever get remakes. It's always amazing when an anime gets a remake, despite the fact that the source material is finished. A HxH remake made sense, since the manga was, and still is, ongoing.
wildhoodJul 31, 2017 6:00 AM
Jul 31, 2017 5:45 AM

May 2014
Hunter x Hunter 2.0?

Jul 31, 2017 5:50 AM

Feb 2017
OMG! Am I dreaming?
I must be a witch or have some kind of telepathy power to reach Japanese directors....
It was just a couple of days ago that I was listening Kou Tenka's Kaze no Tabibito and Will by the MCs and the idea came to my mind...
Oooh God!! Wonderful news to start my week!!!
Thank youuuu
aaawww I'll see Tenka in HD... I'm dying...

Jul 31, 2017 5:54 AM

Mar 2015
akay, that's literaly coming outa nowhere... what's next? ichigo 100% already got side story... will kenshin finnaly get his complite faithful adaptation? or even nube remake (since the sequel pretty much nobody hear, it's nice time and place)...

i remember downlodaing illegally in offline book zip ripp-off... lol, what a nostalgia...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 31, 2017 6:14 AM

Sep 2011
I am all for a bunch of unadapted shounen jumps getting modern anime adaptions, hell it'd be pretty bitching if some of them would get original final arcs for anything that got cancelled. Can you imagine if mX0 or something suddenly propped up and had an actual ending.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 31, 2017 6:30 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JizzyHitler said:
Can you imagine if mX0 or something suddenly propped up and had an actual ending.
I would cry in happiness if that actually happened.
Jul 31, 2017 6:34 AM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
JizzyHitler said:
Can you imagine if mX0 or something suddenly propped up and had an actual ending.
it'll never happen but a man can dream damn it. Even if that never happens there are some finished shounen jump series that absolutly deserve an adaption even with their endings intact.

I for one would absolutely lose my shit if sesuji wo pin got an anime, they could do the whole thing in 26 episodes and for a supposedly canceled series the ending is very satisfying and climactic. I just think jump really should capitalize on some of their properties just sitting around.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 31, 2017 6:38 AM

Mar 2012
so can someone who has read the manga and watched the 90s anime tell me if it is worth watching and does it follow the manga/novel, or does it go the original route half way through, should i bother with the 90s anime or just wait for the remake
thanks.
Jul 31, 2017 6:59 AM

May 2010
Finally, Taikoubou in his gokiburi final form!
Jul 31, 2017 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
I'm kind of lost at first but then it was stated as a reboot, so I guess it means I don't really need to check the original for this one.

Although for an interest sake I'll check that out to see if its really something I can go for.
Jul 31, 2017 7:41 AM

Feb 2011
OMG! I am so happy that mere words cannot comprehend just how much! I've loved the original manga series for years and I am so glad that it finally is getting the anime remake that it so deserves! I remember when there was a petition going around a few years ago to get this a reboot and since it's been so long without any word I thought it wasn't gonna happen, so happy it's finally happening! Hopefully since the manga is complete they will adapt it faithfully this time.
Jul 31, 2017 8:21 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, awesome!!! I had never thought, that this gets a new anime adaption! <3
Houshin Engi was my first manga and I still like it.

Cain_7 said:
so can someone who has read the manga and watched the 90s anime tell me if it is worth watching and does it follow the manga/novel, or does it go the original route half way through, should i bother with the 90s anime or just wait for the remake
thanks.

Just wait for the remake. The old Anime has an alternative route and in my opinion, I like the outcoming of the manga more.
Jul 31, 2017 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
If this does not come by winter 18, then I might try the old one by this Fall.

BTW, its nice to see classic stuff in modern version and U&T show is really good example that why this one's gonna be fun!
Jul 31, 2017 8:48 AM

Mar 2009
Cant wait to see how they will adapt this:
https://myanimelist.net/character/4661/Sibuxiang
by modern standards.
Jul 31, 2017 10:19 AM

Oct 2013
ZoroZoldyck said:
Hunter x Hunter 2.0?

This series was made before Hunter x Hunter
Jul 31, 2017 10:25 AM
Sep 2007
I am always happy when they decide to revive old series, especially finished manga in current era.

This gives me hope for some other old series that I would like to see reanimated.

I read Hoshin Engi manga, but I also have to see anime, before this new one.
Jul 31, 2017 10:40 AM

Aug 2014
One of the first box sets I owned; watched it through twice and still still don't remember anything about it. Guess it does need a reboot.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 31, 2017 10:51 AM

Oct 2010
This type of thing is what anime fans dream of. Hope they don't butcher it though.
Jul 31, 2017 11:12 AM

Aug 2008
I'm all for reboots of old series. Might be nostalgia speaking but they seemed to be less money grabbing bland shit than what is made nowadays. Get that Busou Renking and Elemental Gerad as well.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 31, 2017 11:29 AM

Jan 2008
Awesome. Now the anime only needs to be faithful to the manga
Jul 31, 2017 12:41 PM

Jan 2010
*driool* I hope it will be full manga adaptation like it was for Fullmetal Alchemist.
Jul 31, 2017 12:57 PM

Jun 2008
Never watched the original, but a sequel sounds cool :D
Jul 31, 2017 1:38 PM

Mar 2012
Rei366 said:
Even the manga doesn't follow the original novel (who's not original, read my above reaction). It introduces a lot of anachronistic elements because the mangaka likes sci-fi.
The anime is: quite ugly (and I love cellulo animation), presents a full story by covering the few early chapters then at mid-points cramming characters/events to reach an original conclusion that's somewhat reminiscent of the beginning of the end of the manga (it's logic since the story wasn't fully new). It "sacrifices" around 80% of the events, characters and doesn't even exploit all the introduced characters. Of course, the violence is highly toned down. And all the whereabouts are not entirely revealed.
The manga is in a sense a typical shônen nekketsu with a very large cast (where every character ends up being useful later) and several arcs: quests, battles, ennemy territory invasion, final boss, etc.

thanks for the nice and detailed response, guess i'll wait for the remake then

Draconira said:
Just wait for the remake. The old Anime has an alternative route and in my opinion, I like the outcoming of the manga more.

yeah i'll just watch the remake
thanks
Cain_7Jul 31, 2017 1:43 PM
Jul 31, 2017 3:24 PM

Mar 2013
Houshin Engi was one of the first manga i've ever read, so this is amazing news for me. I didn't like the first series very much so I stopped watching halfway, can't wait for this new version though! I hope it's a full faithfull adaptation to the manga.
Jul 31, 2017 5:15 PM

Aug 2008
Honestly, I have been waiting for it since forever.
Given that now it's old anime adaption changes damn alot of the plot and it totally disappointed me who love reading it's manga. It still remains as my #1 fav manga of all time even after so many years. :')
ShinoJul 31, 2017 7:12 PM

Forum set is a gift from Bunnyama
Jul 31, 2017 7:13 PM

Mar 2015
JizzyHitler said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
it'll never happen but a man can dream damn it. Even if that never happens there are some finished shounen jump series that absolutly deserve an adaption even with their endings intact.

now that you mention mX0... black clover is really similiar with it, minus ecchi and strong harem romance element, change school with fantasy, with more nakama things... it's shame last 2 arc mxo does really uninteresting... and his newest works kissxdeath doesn't really pick my interest either...

JizzyHitler said:
I for one would absolutely lose my shit if sesuji wo pin got an anime, they could do the whole thing in 26 episodes and for a supposedly canceled series the ending is very satisfying and climactic. I just think jump really should capitalize on some of their properties just sitting around.

sesuji wo pin was ranked decent, and it was sell great considering it doesn't has anime adaptation... i don't see any reason why jump axed it... if anything, the author is the one want to finishing it soon... he immedietly make new manga too afterwards...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 31, 2017 7:34 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I read the synopsis of the manga and I'm very intrigued to see this
Jul 31, 2017 9:00 PM

Jan 2008
Wow this series. I remember seeing an episode of it way back as a kid and could never remember the title of it.

Jul 31, 2017 9:20 PM

Apr 2014
OMG I can't believe it. It's fantastic news and one of the best news from couple months. I can't wait for it!
Aug 1, 2017 12:45 AM

Mar 2011
Maybe Rurouni Kenshin still have a chance to get full remake, or Bleach to get new anime.
Aug 1, 2017 12:52 AM

Jan 2011
Hey, I'd come across this series all the time. Nothing about it ever really urged me to give it a try though. Also apparently I've read a special chapter for it unknowingly, since it was part of an anthology.
Aug 1, 2017 2:02 PM

Aug 2010
Oh wow, that's crazy. I didin't think it was popular enough to get a new adaption.

This also reminds me that I need to continue the manga; it's been over a year since I read a volume.

Hopefully they adapt the whole manga this time.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 2, 2017 1:39 PM
Nov 2012
Now if we get some Yonekura Chihiro... best part about old series.
Aug 4, 2017 8:14 AM

May 2014
bigivelfhq said:
ZoroZoldyck said:
Hunter x Hunter 2.0?

I meant the adaption style

Aug 5, 2017 3:54 AM

Oct 2013
ZoroZoldyck said:
bigivelfhq said:

I meant the adaption style

What is adaptation style? What are you talking about?
Sep 12, 2017 3:14 AM
Aug 2017
AH! Houshin Engi is my favorite manga of all time! If it could gt a high quality, faithful adaptation I think it'll gain the popularity it deserves. So excited! The oroginal anime wasn't bad, but it was way too short and it missed the beat parts of the story...
Apr 18, 2018 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
Houshin Engi Gaiden will start on 21st and 22nd double issue of Weekly Young Jump magazine releasing April 26 for a short time (along with resume of Terra Formars, as it is the main topic on the article).
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/278690
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

6 by DrHizzle »»
1 hour ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

9 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
7 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.