Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 2017 6:33 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shimada's such an awesome character in this series, definitely one of the most noticeable competitors in the shogi world. We got Rin making his decision to move forward to improve himself and joining a study group/workshop.

Speaking of groups, the Houka Club has such an amusing cast of characters.
Stark700Feb 4, 2017 9:21 AM
Feb 4, 2017 9:53 AM

Jul 2014
Could have skipped the entire second half of this episode and lost next to nothing of value, so this was pretty disappointing in that sense. Mind you, I imagine the workshop stuff would have been better if I even had the faintest idea about what anything they were talking about actually meant.

Still, a very poor episode other than a decent first half.
Feb 4, 2017 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Really good advice the teacher gave Rei. I'm glad he has good people in his life.

The cats commentary never fails to amuse me. XD
Feb 4, 2017 10:22 AM

Dec 2014
Awesome episode, loved it.

The beginning of this episode was just beautiful, Rei's teacher is such a nice guy and really cares for him. It was nice seeing Rei interact with the After Burner Club normally. :)
The entire conversation between sensei and Rei as they were leaving the school was absolutely beautiful, heartwarming and downright amazing. Loved sensei's advice to Rei about asking for help and helping others. Rei's realization after hearing it was really emotional and I couldn't stop smiling, Teared up as well. That was seriously one of the most beautiful moments in this show. That imagery with him kinda running towards the light was a very nice touch.

I'm glad Shimada won, he's an awesome guy who honestly works hard. :D
Rei asking to join the workshop and Shimada inviting him at the same time was a really nice scene too. :D

The workshop was pretty amusing too watch, Poor Shimada can't handle the other three. xD
The finale with the bird was pretty funny as well. It's really nice to see Rei opening up to all these different people. :)
Feb 4, 2017 10:26 AM

Aug 2012
The second half was awesome, I don't I've enjoyed character interactions from the show this much until now.
Feb 4, 2017 10:30 AM

Dec 2014
well not seeing the girls in the show more often made this show a little monotonic.. I hope the show have more focus on the girls tooo...but overall good episode
Feb 4, 2017 10:59 AM

Mar 2009
Was there a deeper meaning to that duck scene? What was the point of that scene? Came out of nowhere.
Feb 4, 2017 11:22 AM

Feb 2015
From the workshop on was pretty bland, but I thoroughly enjoyed the appearance of the sisters.

From the preview it sounds like Kyouko is going to be a pain in the ass, again.

Glad that asshole didn't win.
Feb 4, 2017 11:26 AM

Sep 2014
luckily shimada won.

next episode some bitching from reis sister?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 4, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2015
Rei got some good advice from the teacher. He came to the realization that getting help from other people and helping them back is important. His interaction with the After Burner Club was nice. Glad to see Shimada won. He looked very tired after his match. The workshop scene was amusing to watch. Shimada couldn't handle it xD Rei and Harunobu figuring what bird they saw was funny.
Feb 4, 2017 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.
Nice to see Rei interacting with the After Burners Club.
LOL that accident. Sometimes the greatest inventions are made by accident.

Hayashida Sensei is the best. Love how he cares so much about Rei & gives great advice.

Woah thought Gotou won for a second, but Shimada won in the end. CONGRATS!!
Sweet to see the Kawamoto Sisters for a bit, but I need more.

Hmm wonder if that Duck is OK.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 4, 2017 12:34 PM

Jun 2014
I'm just happy that jackass Gotou didn't win. Good job, Shimada.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 4, 2017 1:29 PM

Sep 2014
I have to be honest I didn't expect Shimada to win at all but he did which is fucking awesome, Now Gotou won't be as arrogant as he was before.
The rest of the episode was more of a build up but I didn't like Kiriyama joining Shimada's Workshop, I don't know but i liked him more when he was a badass loner wolf :P
Feb 4, 2017 1:35 PM

Mar 2016
I think the second half was just as great as the first half because despite the lack of actual plot developing, we get to see a whole new side to Kiriyama, he's much more alive when opening up to friends!
Feb 4, 2017 1:57 PM

May 2015
I really like workshop scene. So funny. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 4, 2017 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
Tone shift this episode. Mostly light-hearted with some reflection.
Feb 4, 2017 3:16 PM

Oct 2012
Not very good episode... the second part was full of needless fluff, like boring drill and list of moves and the first only had one scene with girls which was barely enough (chemist club scene was just weird). They even tried to emphasize so friendship with Rei and Nikaidou in the end but it was executed so badly it fell really flat.

I'm glad that Shimada won but sadly, the shogi games are the worst part of this show.. it only excels in showing backgrounds and difficult relations between the players and their families. And it shines when sisters or Kyouka are around, that's where main focus should be. It really feels like we are moving nowhere lately because of all the attention given to shogi.

Sadly, this trend repeats with every odd episode which makes this series really unconsistent. And splitting episodes in half by manga chapters doesn't really work either.

Also, with all those sfx, written notes and manga bubbles on the screen - Shaft is really overdoing it recently. Such things should always stay in the manga... animated medium has better ways to tell those things differently.

Really didn't enjoyed this episode at all.
Feb 4, 2017 3:31 PM

Oct 2013
Mormegil said:
Was there a deeper meaning to that duck scene? What was the point of that scene? Came out of nowhere.

I wondered the same thing, but I confess that whenever I see any odd animal activity I feel compelled to immediately look it up online, and I used to rush to the library or bookstore in the days before Google, so I can relate to that scene on some level.
Feb 4, 2017 3:34 PM

Oct 2012
redtailrav said:
I wondered the same thing, but I confess that whenever I see any odd animal activity I feel compelled to immediately look it up online, and I used to rush to the library or bookstore in the days before Google, so I can relate to that scene on some level.

As I wrote, it was mainly there to show they have other mutual interests, not only shogi.
In other words, that they are friends even outside of shogi hall.
Feb 4, 2017 4:18 PM

Jan 2012
Random duck suicide! So Shimada won and Rei joined his workshop. I still miss our sisters. :( Their brief scene was easily this week's highlight. Seems the Kyouko drama will hafta wait until next week to continue.
Feb 4, 2017 4:32 PM

May 2015
Pretty weak second half to be honest, but I'm glad Shimada won the match.

Feb 4, 2017 6:06 PM

Jul 2014
The ending was pretty funny.
Feb 4, 2017 7:39 PM

Sep 2014
Honestly the second half of this episode was uneventful. Could've skipped it tbh. Very strong first half though.
Feb 4, 2017 7:43 PM

Jun 2014
The animation this episode was a little... different. Until now I had completely forgotten this was a Shaft series.

The shogi "workshop" was hilarious with the three of them arguing over strategies.

That spontaneous urge to research birds there at the end was just... random...
Feb 4, 2017 8:27 PM

Jun 2011
This episode was pretty good! Even though I don't play shogi, I didn't feel like the second half was just "filler" like some other people have said; it showed a new side of Kiriyama, introduced us to a new character, and gave us some laughs to boot. I was actually cracking up when the duck dove under the water and didn't come back up. I was all, "is anyone else seeing this right now?" Felt so validated when they started freaking out, haha.

Good stuff for Shimada. When I saw Gotou talking to the reporters outside the room, I got a really bad feeling, but I was glad to see he won. I don't believe he's going to win against Souya, but no matter what happens, that arc is going to be great to see (assuming it is actually an arc and Shimada doesn't just die in a car crash a week before the match or something).

This show's maintaining a really nice flow with its human drama and character-building. It's criminal that so many people aren't watching it. This is easily the best thing to come out of both this season and the last.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Feb 4, 2017 10:21 PM

Sep 2015
Happy for Rei :)
All I'm gonna say for this episode
Feb 4, 2017 11:14 PM

Mar 2016
Absolutely loved this week's episode :D

Rei's interaction with the the after school burners club was brilliant hahah. Everyone's reactions after Rei spilled the bottle which had a nice smell was great xD
I loved the talk Hayashida-sensei had with Rei. That was such a beautiful moment. I almost teared up in that scene <3
I'm so happy Shimada won the game. This episode had a quite a bit of funny moments xD Him giving his honest opinions to the reporters was gold xD I'm so glad Rei decided to join the workshop. I really liked how they both asked the question at the same time ^_^
The fights in the workshop was great as well haha. Poor Shimida couldn't handle them all xD Hope we get to see more scenes with the sisters tho. I miss them :D

Feb 5, 2017 1:17 AM

Oct 2013
First half of the episode was great. Loved the teacher's advice. I'm also very glad that Shimada won; I thought that it would be the final push to cause Rei to join the workshop. I'm really trying to think about the duck scene, but I can't come up with an explanation. I'm open to suggestions; I feel like there is truly a deeper meaning behind it.
Feb 5, 2017 5:05 AM

Feb 2014
Thank goodness Shimada beat Gotou, although it took a lot out of poor Shimada after the match. ^^;

For Rei, it was good to see him improve as a character overall in this episode. Firstly, it was thanks to his selfless teacher who helped him talk to the After Burners club, in which also helped him complete his assignment as well.

Next was for him to agree to go to Shimada's Shogi workshop, where we got to see just how stubborn Rei, Nikaidou and Mr Grumpy, Shigeta, can be, much to the dismay of Shimada once more.

Either way, it will give Rei a better insight into what strategy works and which ones that don't depending on the situation. This will help him grow more as a player. =)

Once again, we get to see the lovable Kawamoto sisters and their talk about Inari Sushi was cute. Hina's pout and rant about Rei was also adorable, but her grandpa was spot on about Rei. In due time, he'll be visiting them soon enough. =)

Great episode today.
Feb 5, 2017 5:17 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pretty boring second half to this episode to be honest.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 5, 2017 9:16 AM

Jul 2016
Silent shogi players, but feudal lords on the inside with fiery temper. Fun and soothing episode. Rei's teacher, looks like a father figure to him. I'm glad that Rei finally found his resolved this time, thanks to the people who supports him. The winners are exhausted, I'm wondering how will be the atmosphere, when Shimada will face on Souya, as for Shimada had an exhausting match with Gotou. Looking forward to next episode.
Feb 5, 2017 10:42 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing first half and refreshing 2nd half.

Couldn't stop grinning when Shimada and Rei asked each other out at the same time for the workshop :)

The new character's glare tho XD
Somehow I feel like I've seen similar design for that character somewhere but can't see to remember it...
Feb 5, 2017 1:30 PM

Jun 2013
meh second part but the first part was awesome
Feb 5, 2017 3:13 PM

Feb 2015
We might have to change the sisters to secondary characters at this point D:
Feb 5, 2017 5:14 PM

Apr 2016
The highlight for me was also the first part with the teacher. This guy is too good to be true. The colours of the sky were beautiful during his lecture and for once we see a genuine smile from Rei while not being with the Sisters. Speaking of which, I'm glad I had a little Kawamoto dose, It's hard enough to handle my addiction a whole week, I might get my hand shaking if I had to survive two weeks without them.

There is progress : pushed by Hayashida Sensei, Rei is now able to accept and seek for help, first in shogi with Shimada. At this occasion we saw another great smile, from Shimada this time, with an almost sexy pose with his hand on his chin. He sure looked better than later on at the end of the workshop.

I hope Hina go kick Rei's ass so we get more scenes with him and the sisters. How can he stay away from them that long??? Workshop is a good thing and all but there's not only Shogi in life, remember! That's what you told Kyouko.

About the diving duck : maybe one day Umino Chika saw one while walking near a river and wanted to put it in her 3-gatsu story. Ha! Is it enough of a reason?
Ysad_ZiwezhanFeb 5, 2017 5:18 PM
Feb 5, 2017 6:02 PM

Feb 2016
I was totally expecting Gotou to win. I hope they dont solve Rei's problem too fast cause I want more of this show, stop socializing! :)

Where there any hints about a next season of this btw? Cause looking at the pace and manga, the anime wont even adapt a half of it. I dont remember Shaft being called out on not doing second seasons and have faith in them

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 5, 2017 10:24 PM

Oct 2011
SHIMADA WON YES T_____T

Kiriyama asking him to join his workshop T___T
LOl with them arguing which is the best move. Poor Shimada's Stomach

Kiriyama and Nikaidou duck scene. Such friendship T__T

OMG Kyouko NOOO
Feb 6, 2017 1:11 AM

Sep 2015
Compared to the previous two episodes, this one felt pretty upbeat. It seemed like the natural progression and I'm glad Rei has already joined the Workshop. It was fun seeing the more over the top side of Nikaidou again. His spirited debate about the best way to use the Rook complete with Shogi cats was great. I also thought the explanation of why Rei knew Shimada won was interesting. I fell for it and totally believed Gotou won at first. Also even though they're still waiting for Rei or whatever, it was nice we got to see the Kawamotos again. Hina is super cute and I love when they animate Akari gushing about food. I will say though I didn't really get the ending thing with the duck.
Feb 6, 2017 3:35 AM

Apr 2016
HamburgerSpike said:

Where there any hints about a next season of this btw? Cause looking at the pace and manga, the anime wont even adapt a half of it. I dont remember Shaft being called out on not doing second seasons and have faith in them

I wonder about that too but even with a second 2-cour season they wouldn't finish the story that is still going on. Maybe they would end up doing like Nisekoi, which wasn't optimal.
Feb 6, 2017 3:49 AM

Dec 2009
I liked the art of this show. The house where Shimada lives in looks really nice. Kind of like a painting.

This is around where I stopped in the manga so a lot of scenes are new to me.
Feb 6, 2017 6:25 AM

Oct 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
HamburgerSpike said:

I wonder about that too but even with a second 2-cour season they wouldn't finish the story that is still going on. Maybe they would end up doing like Nisekoi, which wasn't optimal.

New season is always announced only after the end of the first one but yeah, I honestly doubt this would get completed as it serves mainly as boost to manga (and 2-cour was mainly decided due to slow pace of the manga since 1-cour probably wouldn't be enough).

At best we'll get another 1-cour the next year (if Young Animal magazine pays for it that is because the anime didn't boosted manga so much as expected) with few more bits like what happened with Nisekoi (not that Nisekoi would deserved a sequel as the second part of the manga is horrible but still).

But even that won't take us to half-point of the manga. And I bet that BD sales won't be enough to warrant the continuation (in fact the sales rankings for BDs Vol1 are actually the worst Shaft got in recent years).

So any hope that this gets completed is almost nil, people get better used to reading source manga if they want full story which is also the case for Re:Zero novels.
Feb 6, 2017 9:15 AM

Apr 2014
It basically is getting a sequel. NHK is enough. Forget all the sales BS.

Now to prove my point so no one tries to act smart: https://twitter.com/_syoan/status/826391340950777857 <- aniplex staff
Feb 7, 2017 5:08 AM

Oct 2012
moodie said:
It basically is getting a sequel. NHK is enough. Forget all the sales BS.

Now to prove my point so no one tries to act smart: https://twitter.com/_syoan/status/826391340950777857 <- aniplex staff

Of course they won't tell people there will be no sequel when the show hasn't ended yet and when they possibly don't want to lower preorder numbers any further.

Also, never in my previous post I've said there won't be any sequel as I actually think there would be. What above twitter says (while it also confirms very low 1800 sales) is that the sequel could be considered, not that it was actually greenlit already.

So my point still stands: a) the anime series won't be probably completed, b) the sequel would more likely be only12 episodes (to promote the manga but to not spend too much money, the same that happened to Nisekoi), c) the manga probably ends in one or two years (probably next year) and judging by the current pace of anime and number of chapters left (we are currently at volume 3 out of 12), even two 2-cours won't be probably enough to complete it and there is no reason to animate anything after manga ends.

So (as I said before) the viewers here are better off with reading manga rather than waiting several years for the series (unlikely) closure. And we all know that Shaft really takes their time with its sequels (not to mention there would be their new series to come). In fact, the only other similiar multipart slice-of-life they actually completed in recent years is Hidamari Sketch and it was in form of OVA (yeah, and there were other circumstances involved, Aoki Ume being friend of Shinbou is one of them).

Of course, as NHK is a public television, they can even get grant from government to produce this show if they wanted to promote shogi and bring more young people (and they actually already published children book mention in the series before) but then again, for the same reason, I don't think they are paying too much for it, they probably pays for the costs only. And, don't forget this anime is not being paid by NHK (and SHAFT) only, its production comittee actually includes Aniplex, Hakusensha, Dentsu Inc., TOY'S FACTORY Inc. and others. So its not their sole decision to greenlit anything.

Also, another thing that needs to be considered is the fact that the main income for Shaft is from BD sales - they would be even as the cost go but they won't be getting much profit here. So their willingness to animate another 2-cour is in question when they could easily make another Monogatari or full Zaregoto TV series and get at least 10x more. Other than that the only series where they are guaranteed to animate everything is Monogatari which sales goes as high as 60-70k.
Feb 7, 2017 6:25 AM

Apr 2016
I would really like to have some insight in Shaft studio and what's behind the scene concerning the anime.

Sometimes the animation looks old-school and let's say it "cheap". I wonder if this style costs less time and money. On the other hand the art is very often mesmerizing. Culex comment above just illustrate that. That's Shaft for you. They transcended Umino Chika's art. There are so many beautiful backgrounds in this anime. I love most of the shots around the river, the colors they used depending on the mood and time of the day. But it's not just that, look at all the scenes in the Kawamoto's house. It's cosy and somehow far from Shaft's style in my opinion but they stick to Umino's art, put some warm colors and life in it and again : manga looks great but the anime result looks even better. They respect the original idea without hesitation and yet they did add their signature at some moments, like a wink to their fans, or just because they can't help but "try something".
They are artists after all. Actually, if there is one studio which I would call "a bunch of artist" it's Shaft. They try things, it's so obvious sometimes, it might not be your cup of tea, but they don't play by the book all the time, they don't stay in the safe zone, they don't do just the job, they don't do just animation, they try to add their touch, like ... real artists. I think it's more subtle in 3-Gatsu than in the monogatari series or mahou shoujo but it's still here, in some shots with Matsunaga san for example, or when Kyouko is around.

Having said that, since they are artists, my questions are "are they really only after the money with this one? and what's in their head right now concerning this show? Are they happy with sticking to Umino's art style? It's a lack of freedom after all". They're making a lot more money with other series but with this one they might only get the admiration of some few people and an end-product with a relatively good rating but bad sales. How much do they value that on the personal level? I would love to know (and I'll need to finish learning japanese to find answers on the web).

However, even though moodie's post seems optimist, I don't think there will ever finish the story in anime version or they would have to skip many manga volumes (making a recap in the first episode maybe).
Ysad_ZiwezhanFeb 7, 2017 6:31 AM
Feb 7, 2017 7:37 PM

Oct 2008
All right! Shimada won against Gotou!
That was an Intense fiery tempered brainstorming at Shimada's Workshop!
5/5!

Feb 7, 2017 8:23 PM

Jul 2009
Aw, what a nice episode :3 Nice to see Rei getting some help from the Burner club (lol), that guy with the mustache sure is a character XD I think the important part of that though was the advice from his teacher ... you need to rely on someone so they know they can rely on you. It's nice that Rei thought of the sisters at that moment :D Really glad that Shimada won the match, he's probably one of my favourite of Rei's shogi opponents so far. Man it must be exhausting to go through that ... and finally we have Rei asking to join the workshop! Kinda reminds me of Hikaru no Go XD It's pretty funny to see them all trashing each other and their strategies, and poor Shimada having to deal with all 3 of them ... LOL just when he thought Rei was gonna help him out :P Anyway looking forward to (hopefully) seeing more of the workshop buddies especially Nikaidou (the other guy's voice sounded really familiar too ...) and is that Kyouko I hear in the preview?! OK, now I'm even more excited :D
Feb 8, 2017 1:18 AM

May 2010
They played it well to make us think Gatou won.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 9, 2017 12:29 PM

Sep 2015
Shogi games are an integral part of this show and one of its main focus points;
DEAL WITH IT PEOPLE!
Feb 9, 2017 2:35 PM

Feb 2008
The shogi workshop of Hell...

Another lovely episode, the bit with the diving bird was particularly hilarious. A fine conclusion to scenes depicting Kiriyama's growth. I'm also glad that Shimada beat Gotou.
Feb 12, 2017 12:36 AM

Jul 2008
Yay Gotou lost!

And now it's training time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 23, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.