Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 6, 2016 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting...Natsume meets a small youkai after running away from another youkai.

I actually find that small youkai to have very human-like behavior especially with the way he interacts with Natsume. Also quite interesting to hear the background story of that small youkai when he was saved by someone named Shoun. That youkai and Shoun had quite an unique relationship tbh.
Dec 6, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2007
lol @ "Shiitake". Hurting "umbrella" part of the little youkai, so Natsume needs to help him with creating a new umbrella so he can find "Shion", who helped it long ago and only one it showed face to. But wow, that Shion old guy has huge ears. He left, though. Wow, nyanko-sensei said something that makes sense.

"Hard" road in creating umbrella. He ended up using the juice of tree to fix it. lol @ the decoration. It almost gave Natsume to grand its wish, but Shion, who remembers it, said no in order to protect it. Nice, training as new goal.

About the kind couple who takes care of Natsume next.
tsubasaloverDec 7, 2016 4:49 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 6, 2016 1:02 PM

Mar 2012
Was that scar a Kenshin reference? :D
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Dec 6, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2015
That almost ended on a sad note, the training thing came out of nowhere xD
More character developments for the next episode ! We will finally have one for Touko *-*
Dec 6, 2016 1:25 PM

Aug 2010
Spectacular.
Another beautiful episode. This one got me hard. Couldn't help but tear up a bit when the ayakashi started crying and when Natsume called him kind. Glad things kind of worked out for him at the end :')

YES, A FUJIWARA'S EPISODE NEXT WEEK <3!!!
Dec 6, 2016 1:25 PM

Jun 2014
This was a very touching episode! The resolve of the mushroom yokai wanting to be with his friend.

Natsume always brings out the good in everyone and even though he could have been offered as an offering the yokai knew deep down that it was wrong!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Dec 6, 2016 1:35 PM
Sep 2015
A small Youkai that wants to join up with a friend, but didn't get his wish because the youkai was weak, but then was given a chance to prove himself. Such a touching story.

Somehow this episode can actually teach us something, lie maybe to not lose hope because a chance might come up in front of us.

Next episode is about Touko and Shigeru, and their story about Natsume, looking froward to it
Dec 6, 2016 2:37 PM

Aug 2016
Started crying when the flashbacks came back, I started tearing up as they were some of the best ones:

Overall a beautiful episode and really hit me hard in the feels. And that nightmare, ugh the feels-- poor natsume. I'm glad we get to know more about his carers in the future.
Dec 6, 2016 3:19 PM

Apr 2010
So the little guy learned his lesson.
He seemed a bit strange and arrogant especially if you consider his size.
Anyway it was an interesting episode.
Dec 6, 2016 4:01 PM
Feb 2015
glad it didnt betray Natsume though Madara was ready for some mushroom
Dec 6, 2016 4:33 PM

Aug 2015
I dunno but I thought this episode felt weak. Probably because I didn't really like this episode's youkai.
Dec 6, 2016 5:03 PM

May 2009
MelodyElodie said:
Started crying when the flashbacks came back, I started tearing up as they were some of the best ones:

I'm glad it didn't end as sad as those other examples. There's still hope for this little youkai's goal!
I hope that dream Natsume had wasn't a form of foreshadowing ( I don't want him to be separated from the Fujiwaras :( )
Dec 6, 2016 5:40 PM

Oct 2013
_Kairu_ said:
I dunno but I thought this episode felt weak. Probably because I didn't really like this episode's youkai.

I agree. Didn't really feel this episode and the training thing at the end kinda destroyed the emotional build-up.

But the next episode looks hella interesting. We'll finally learn more about his foster parents.
Dec 6, 2016 7:04 PM

Jul 2011
"I have nothing to offer..." Holy shit that got me even though I knew it was coming. So much dedication from the mushroom, loved the chapter and the episode did it justice. Except the training book thing, wtf? I don't think that was in the manga and it totally ruined my heartbreak. =_=

They're really going all out this cour, even the Natsume adoption episode is being adapted next. <3
Dec 6, 2016 8:12 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I enjoyed this episode fairly well. The show really knows how to hit you with feels.
Next episode should be very interesting.

Dec 7, 2016 12:37 AM
Oct 2007
Wow, this episode might seems so simple at first but that ending hit me pretty hard. I wasn't expecting that at all!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2016 12:55 AM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Mitsuzara is quite hyperactive. Trying hard to cover his scratch & meet Shuon.

LOL Dango & Ball of Lard.

Sad Mitsuzara couldn't become a follower, but there is training so there is still a chance.
The arrival of Shuon & his followers was beautiful. Loved the bright sky.

Touko & Shigeru next week. Cool always nice to know more about them.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 7, 2016 2:06 AM

Aug 2010
Mirorin said:
Except the training book thing, wtf? I don't think that was in the manga and it totally ruined my heartbreak. =_=

Actually, yes! it was included in the manga :)

Dec 7, 2016 2:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
a comical shiitake yokai!!!! Natsume in other "small" adventure ;)
Dec 7, 2016 9:06 AM

Jul 2014
Porbably the weakest episode of this season for this show, mainly because the focal yokai annoyed the hell out of me this week.
Dec 7, 2016 9:40 AM

Apr 2016
Nice episode.

Natsume being his usual kind self, and Sensei watching over him.

The Shiitake youkai was cute. His arguments with Sensei! Total strangers calling sensei names never gets old. :D

This moment was kinda touching, goes to show how much a single encounter with someone can affect you..

Also, Sensei can be scary even when in his cat form.-
Dec 7, 2016 10:07 AM
Jun 2015
Does anyone know who Shoun was supposed to represent?

I assume a major kami but I couldn't find a reference for him anywhere...

This was a close as I got (from the big W):

Oku no Hosomichi (奥の細道?, originally おくのほそ道, meaning "Narrow road to/of the interior"), translated alternately as The Narrow Road to the Deep North and The Narrow Road to the Interior, is a major work of haibun by the Japanese poet Matsuo Bashō, considered "one of the major texts of classical Japanese literature."

The text is written in the form of a prose and verse travel diary and was penned as Bashō made an epic and dangerous journey on foot through the Edo Japan of the late 17th century. While the poetic work became seminal of its own account, the poet's travels in the text have since inspired many people to follow in his footsteps and trace his journey for themselves. In one of its most memorable passages, Bashō suggests that "every day is a journey, and the journey itself home."
The_McSDec 7, 2016 10:12 AM
Dec 7, 2016 10:08 AM
Jun 2015
iHitokage said:

I thought the same thing but not sure what the connection would be...
Dec 7, 2016 10:24 AM

Mar 2012
The_McS said:
iHitokage said:

The yokai said that with the scar he resembles one outlaw who has it too on his cheek.

Dec 7, 2016 10:36 AM
Jun 2015
iHitokage said:
The_McS said:

The yokai said that with the scar he resembles one outlaw who has it too on his cheek.

Ah...I see. The live action movie actually ended up being decent if you haven't checked it out
Dec 7, 2016 10:43 AM

Mar 2012
The_McS said:
iHitokage said:

Ah...I see. The live action movie actually ended up being decent if you haven't checked it out

Actually....I know this is a blasphemy but I like the live action trilogy more than the anime :D

Dec 7, 2016 10:47 AM
Jun 2015
iHitokage said:
The_McS said:

Actually....I know this is a blasphemy but I like the live action trilogy more than the anime :D

Pretty sure I have only seen the first one...unless they made them into one for release on Funimation...
Dec 7, 2016 10:49 AM

Mar 2012
The_McS said:
iHitokage said:

Pretty sure I have only seen the first one...unless they made them into one for release on Funimation...

Hmm check it out, it would be too long in one.

Dec 7, 2016 11:55 AM

Mar 2008
wonderful episode!
Dec 7, 2016 1:06 PM
Mar 2012
Typical Natsume Yuujinchou episode - bitter-sweet and beautiful.

The_McS said:
Oku no Hosomichi (奥の細道?, originally おくのほそ道, meaning "Narrow road to/of the interior"), translated alternately as The Narrow Road to the Deep North and The Narrow Road to the Interior, is a major work of haibun by the Japanese poet Matsuo Bashō, considered "one of the major texts of classical Japanese literature."

The text is written in the form of a prose and verse travel diary and was penned as Bashō made an epic and dangerous journey on foot through the Edo Japan of the late 17th century. While the poetic work became seminal of its own account, the poet's travels in the text have since inspired many people to follow in his footsteps and trace his journey for themselves. In one of its most memorable passages, Bashō suggests that "every day is a journey, and the journey itself home."
That's interesting, thank you.
Dec 7, 2016 4:41 PM

Jul 2011
sweetdrops said:
Mirorin said:
Except the training book thing, wtf? I don't think that was in the manga and it totally ruined my heartbreak. =_=

Actually, yes! it was included in the manga :)

Thanks, might've been a while since I've read the chapter. The scene was much more abrupt in the anime though. xD
Dec 7, 2016 5:57 PM

Mar 2009
Loved this episode. Every now and then, it's nice to have a hopeful, happy ending.
You can do it, little guy. Work hard!
Dec 8, 2016 3:22 AM

Jun 2013
that was so heartwarmin and good
Dec 8, 2016 9:22 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
The_McS said:
Does anyone know who Shoun was supposed to represent?

I assume a major kami but I couldn't find a reference for him anywhere...

This was a close as I got (from the big W):

Not sure if Shuon is supposed to be a major kami. Instead, it looks like a hermit master with a procession of hermit disciples. The narrow "path" refers to the concept of "the way" which is not a physical path but a spiritual one (to train to become a hermit)

I disagree with anyone saying the "training" part spoils this story. Since this entire story is themed around the hermit master, training is an important aspect of the "way".
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 8, 2016 10:06 PM

Sep 2013
BEAUTIFUL episode as usual. I'm glad the little mushroom didn't betray natsume :) also next episode!! we're learning more about his foster parents!!

Dec 10, 2016 3:43 AM

Oct 2013
Some episodes aren't as strong as previous seasons.

This one was particularly weak and not a lot of actions
Dec 10, 2016 9:15 AM

May 2016
I'm slow... I just realized that this season has all been about people who can't be together because they occupy two different "worlds." It took that flashback for me to realize... haha!

What struck the hardest for me was when the mushroom youkai said he had nothing and just lay his small, powerless self out before them. As arrogant as he seemed in the beginning, that just showed how truly humble his heart was. And his innate kindness when he put the spider back on the web... The monk follower must've observed this and that's why he apologized for his rudeness! I'm sure the mushroom youkai will be able to join the entourage one day.

Furthermore while it wasn't explicitly shown I think Nyanko-sensei was also moved, and that's why he interrupted before the mushroom youkai told Natsume that he almost offered him up as a sacrifice. It's not every day Nyanko-sensei helps someone out like that.

All in all, a beautiful, hopeful episode. Loved it!
yuurenDec 10, 2016 9:29 AM
Dec 12, 2016 3:51 PM

Jun 2008
Little mushroom youkai!

There are so many cute youkai's in Natsume :')
Dec 13, 2016 3:38 AM
Nov 2013
I don't get this episode.
Dec 13, 2016 12:58 PM

Dec 2012
I wish there were more episodes like this one and like a few of the past ones that focus more on random youkai encounters. It makes me think of Mushishi a lot more which I love. Great episode.
Dec 13, 2016 10:03 PM

Oct 2012
who voiced the mushroom youkai? sounds really familiar
Dec 20, 2016 11:30 PM

Jun 2015
That little youkai was cute!

in the end he didn't give Natsume as an offering! He considered Natsume as a friend just like Shoun
Dec 22, 2016 5:51 AM

Mar 2016
So happy that this ended well...I almost cried when the little mushroom youkai started crying...
Dec 25, 2016 12:02 PM

Sep 2011
Aww what a touching episode. Really liked Mitsuzara's voice.
Dec 25, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode with a surprising ending. I wonder what was in that book and what that group of Youkai does other than fly through the sky on clouds.
Dec 27, 2016 9:12 PM

May 2012
I really loved this episode again, especially that ending was really mystical and lovely! Really nice episode. Let's see what the last two episodes will offer!
Jan 4, 2017 10:58 PM

Oct 2012
Kenshin cosplay? xD

That cry just really break my heart :(
"Some wishes can't come true. You find hope and it still doesn't work out...And your heart continues to waver forever."
World is that cruel

Awww... He got it! Now he just have to train hard to reach his dream
I want to see that shiitake again in the future
"Signature removed"
Jan 7, 2017 10:56 PM

Mar 2015
"outlaw" scar lel

I felt so sad for the little guy but it was nice to see Shuon-sama and his entourage weren't complete dicks after all
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 23, 2017 10:27 PM

Jun 2016
Ah~ It is a touching story..I almost cry for that little one bcos he is not allow to follow Shuoun-sama. But glad that they give him more time for training haha xD
May 28, 2017 2:20 AM

Mar 2012
I'm assuming had he tried to offer Natsume then they would've rejected his request to join their group.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2016

89 by shippidge »»
Mar 17, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2016

134 by Meritas »»
Jan 2, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2016

61 by Meritas »»
Dec 25, 2023 9:57 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2016

152 by Meritas »»
Sep 29, 2023 7:54 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2016

68 by Cieling_phan »»
Jul 19, 2023 1:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.