Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 19, 2016 12:07 PM

Mar 2012
So, after all these years One Piece is no longer a 9.0+ rated manga on MAL...

Thoughts?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 19, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2012
Obvious alt accounts were created w/ sole purpose of voting 1 these few days.
I've checked quite a few and reported already.
Jul 19, 2016 12:26 PM

Jun 2014
Who in their right mind would rate this masterpiece below a 9?

I gave it an 8 personally.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 19, 2016 12:27 PM
Jan 2013
It'll be back in a few
gone bai bai
Jul 19, 2016 12:49 PM
Apr 2016
Doesn't matter much to me. It's just a .01 less. Not a big deal at all. Still an extremely high score for the people that care that much or like it up there as such.

Speaking of which, the Kingdom manga also got such a change. The anime version of One Piece also got .01 less recently. Same as One Punch Man.

Rin said:

True, but there has been alt accounts for months that are created for the sole purpose of scoring it 10s, as well though.
MareepYayJul 19, 2016 1:32 PM
Jul 19, 2016 1:00 PM

Nov 2013
I don't see anything wrong with.
Didn't deserve that rating in the first place, and post ts is a let down so far.

Pre ts OP: 7/10
Post ts OP: 5/10
Jul 19, 2016 1:06 PM

May 2013
It's bound to happen to all old stuff, since people are expecting better art nowadays.
Jul 19, 2016 1:07 PM

Jul 2015
Omg somebody please call the police
Jul 19, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
Lethargy said:
It's bound to happen to all old stuff, since people are expecting better art nowadays.

We are talking about the manga, not the anime.
Jul 19, 2016 1:12 PM

Sep 2011
oh no this missing hundredth of a point makes all the different

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 19, 2016 1:14 PM

May 2013
JonasTheJay said:
Lethargy said:

We are talking about the manga, not the anime.

Bruh, have you seen the original one piece art? Kids probably aren't into that stuff anymore. Could be because of how monotonous the plot's become though; oda's really dragging out the story.
Jul 19, 2016 1:15 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
uhm it's been shifting between 8.99 and 9.00 for like forever now, this is far from the first time it's dropped under..
Jul 19, 2016 1:24 PM

Dec 2012
Who cares. It's rating is a bad joke. Being above so many iconic and immensely better manga. And it's starting to have more and more negative reception.
Jul 19, 2016 1:30 PM

May 2015
well alright
Lethargy said:

Bruh, have you seen the original one piece art? Kids probably aren't into that stuff anymore.

The american-shonen fans affect.
Could be because of how monotonous the plot's become though; oda's really dragging out the story.
What about what Oda is doing is dragging the plot out, clarify? How is it more monotonous than it's been 10 years ago?

Edit: Are we going to do that "vague comment about series" thing here or are we going to discuss the series?
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 19, 2016 1:36 PM
Apr 2016
Dimethylanime said:
Omg somebody please call the police

This is too big of a deal for the police to handle. We need a miracle to get the score back up by a .01 again.

HaXXspetten said:
uhm it's been shifting between 8.99 and 9.00 for like forever now, this is far from the first time it's dropped under..

Well, then this makes it all the less to care about. As if this wasn't anything new in the first place regarding practically any anime or manga here.

Thank you.
Jul 19, 2016 3:00 PM

Jul 2015
.... okay? What else is new on this site, anyway?
Jul 19, 2016 3:02 PM

Jul 2015
Rin said:
I've checked quite a few and reported already.

What about the alt accounts that only were created to rate this 10s these days? That really isn't any better.
Jul 19, 2016 3:36 PM

May 2013
ashfrliebert said:
well alright
Could be because of how monotonous the plot's become though; oda's really dragging out the story.
What about what Oda is doing is dragging the plot out, clarify? How is it more monotonous than it's been 10 years ago?

Well, I remember taking a break from OP when they first entered Doflamingo's island with Law. Two years later, they're still on that Island, and they've barely done anything.
Jul 19, 2016 3:59 PM

May 2015
Er, that arc ended like october last year lol.

Anyway, unless we're gonna criticize the series(and it has plenty to criticize, I'm positive), not much to talk about here. Very unspecific subject matter.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 19, 2016 4:04 PM

May 2015
tsudecimo said:
Who cares. It's rating is a bad joke. Being above so many iconic and immensely better manga. And it's starting to have more and more negative reception.

Like Naruto? Because that has no flaws.

Jul 19, 2016 5:01 PM

Dec 2012
TShady said:
Who cares about MAL ratings anyway?

I just received words from my cousin's dog that Oda is posting videos of himself crying because of how upset he was about this drop.
Jul 19, 2016 6:22 PM

Jan 2015
I will push this thread up to 10, oh no it's already hopeless

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 20, 2016 2:15 AM

Jun 2014
I could understand if the rating drastically dipped to like 8.35 or something, but it barely dropped so in my opinion, it literally doesn't matter. It'll be back up to 9.00 in no time. Besides, MAL ratings should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 20, 2016 3:22 AM

Jun 2014
gonna say

"who the fuck care..?"
Jul 20, 2016 3:52 AM

Oct 2011
It's going to shoot back up after it finishes anyway.
Jul 21, 2016 10:22 AM

Mar 2016
Not that I really care about ratings, but no need to make a fuss for that little .01 lost.
Just wait for the alt accounts to put their 10's, and it'll be back to 9 before you even notice.
Jul 21, 2016 10:24 AM

Nov 2011
You must be like checking every day to see if One Piece rating drop or not. I couldn't care less about MAL ranking.

Jul 21, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
Ty-Ki said:
I don't see anything wrong with.
Didn't deserve that rating in the first place, and post ts is a let down so far.

Pre ts OP: 7/10
Post ts OP: 5/10

This is true. I must admit
End Zionazism
Jul 21, 2016 1:36 PM

Jul 2016
No one gives a shit, its still a masterpiece. MAL isn't exactly known for good taste anyway.
Jul 21, 2016 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
RichtheLionheart said:
So, after all these years One Piece is no longer a 9.0+ rated manga on MAL...

Thoughts?

oh man OP, this....this is the end of the world, One Piece has dropped from 9 to 8.99, ohhh noooooooooooo, we must tell Oda himself what has happened. Then maybe if we all do a fundraiser and pitch in 50 dollars each, then we can see this back at 9+

Phew OP good job for telling us
Jul 21, 2016 3:00 PM

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:
No one gives a shit, its still a masterpiece. MAL isn't exactly known for good taste anyway.

MAL's tastes/ratings are certainly questionable at times.
Jul 21, 2016 3:08 PM

Jan 2012
RichtheLionheart said:
Omni_slash95 said:

I thought MAL had good manga taste? At least better then anime.
you sound poor
Jul 21, 2016 3:09 PM

Jul 2016
RichtheLionheart said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Yep, especially new stuff gets rated very too high. See Shigatsu, Erased and now Re:Zero.
Jul 21, 2016 3:14 PM

Mar 2012
Mxs_ said:
RichtheLionheart said:

I thought MAL had good manga taste? At least better then anime.

Not as many casual manga readers as there are anime watchers. You could still argue that MAL has a bias towards newer manga. Manga taste is definitely better than anime on MAL.

Every season there seems to be a new anime that breaks into the top 50. It'd be a pretty big deal for a new manga to crack the top 50.
Jul 21, 2016 3:20 PM
Apr 2016
RichtheLionheart said:
Omni_slash95 said:

It.. just lost .01. One, measly, hundredth. In many other sites besides OP areas it often has an overall rating around 8.70 or lower out of 10, or around 4.80 or lower out of 5. This place is still the highest score I've seen given to this series (manga wise), besides mangaupdates I think.
Jul 21, 2016 3:38 PM

Mar 2012
Beth_Masey said:
RichtheLionheart said:

It.. just lost .01. One, measly, hundredth. In many other sites besides OP areas it often has an overall rating around 8.70 or lower out of 10, or around 4.80 or lower out of 5. This place is still the highest score I've seen given to this series (manga wise), besides mangaupdates I think.

You guys are taking my post way too seriously. I just wanted to hear people's thoughts if they thought the series was on a decline or was it merely because of downvoters, etc..

I'm not losing sleep over it.
Jul 21, 2016 6:11 PM

Jul 2016
It will always be a 10/10......In my case, there is no better anime then One Piece

"We become what we think about"

If you want to succeed in life, plant the next goal you want to achieve in your brain, and work toward achieving that goal. write as specifically as you can the path you need to go through to get to the goal, and If that is really what you wished for, work toward it, and you will achieve it.
Blog

Jul 21, 2016 6:19 PM

Dec 2015
Well I dropped my rating from a 9 to a 8 recently. I do think the series is in decline and is out of breath, ever since the timeskip in fact. It was still tolerable before but Zou's outcome was the straw that broke the camel's back. Heck I'd say I'm forcing myself to read the new chapter each week right now, not even Dressrosa had pushed me that far.
Jul 21, 2016 7:28 PM

Nov 2010
KingRequiem said:
Well I dropped my rating from a 9 to a 8 recently. I do think the series is in decline and is out of breath, ever since the timeskip in fact. It was still tolerable before but Zou's outcome was the straw that broke the camel's back. Heck I'd say I'm forcing myself to read the new chapter each week right now, not even Dressrosa had pushed me that far.

But Zou was awesome, pre-skip level arc. What was wrong with its outcome?
Jul 21, 2016 7:39 PM

Dec 2015
Dahaka_ said:
KingRequiem said:

The way the whole Jack issue was swept away by a walking plot device, especially considering the buildup implying a guerilla war against his crew and him being a BAMF. In the end the guy didn't do jack (I'm not sorry :p) shit, heck he even miserably failed in his attempt to free Doffy. All the build up on him being a threatening antagonist went to waste for something that could have been resolved much more quickly given the conclusion. No matter what the guy will now forever be a fool who got stomped by an island and an admiral consecutively, thus his next appearance will seem underwhelming. All this so we could go through that terrible Big Mom plot atm which has serious pacing issues and Sanji barely making up for his long absence.

The arc did have plenty of potential don't get me wrong but Oda took the easy way out and it didn't sit well with me.
Jul 21, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2012
KingRequiem said:
Dahaka_ said:

The way the whole Jack issue was swept away by a walking plot device, especially considering the buildup implying a guerilla war against his crew and him being a BAMF. In the end the guy didn't do jack (I'm not sorry :p) shit, heck he even miserably failed in his attempt to free Doffy. All the build up on him being a threatening antagonist went to waste for something that could have been resolved much more quickly given the conclusion. No matter what the guy will now forever be a fool who got stomped by an island and an admiral consecutively, thus his next appearance will seem underwhelming. All this so we could go through that terrible Big Mom plot atm which has serious pacing issues and Sanji barely making up for his long absence.

The arc did have plenty of potential don't get me wrong but Oda took the easy way out and it didn't sit well with me.

For the record, One Piece has always had a pacing issue. The manga is meant to be read in chunks, not week to week. Imagine having to go through Skypiea week to week. People don't think about that because almost everyone marathoned through a big chunk of the series before catching up. Thus, they didn't really experience the "pacing issue" early on.

The beauty of the series is that everything seems to come around full circle and is well planned out. You're not going to see the fruits of that by reading a chapter a week or every other week. You'll see that in the grand scheme of things.
Jul 21, 2016 10:12 PM

Dec 2015
@RichtheLionheart

That's not news to me, good old Oda also has the bad tendency of re-using the same narrative formula: Straw Hats arrive on island, people are opressed by big bad, Luffy meets crying big boobed princess, they help them, Luffy hogs the spotlight and beats up the big bad, everyone throws a party. At least there was Water 7 in-between and stuff like Shabondy to digress.

In any case, having always had pacing issues doesn't make up for said pacing issues anyway. I was fortunate enough to not go through Skypeia week by week but Dressrosa was probably on par or at least 2nd worse in that regard and I was there to read it. I dunno it just seems like the flame doesn't burn as brightly as it used to and things don't have the same exciting appeal to them like they used to be. Having an entire chapter of the crew walking in a forest of candies and making the same recycled jokes is too much for me. Even Sanji has been reduced to a walking obnoxious nose bleeding device.

Pretty sure Kidd got rekt by Kaido just so Oda could make him team up with Law and Luffy to avoid making a villain out of him. It feels like Oda is going less and less with daring ideas and decisions and taking the easy way at every turn. Well maybe I'm getting too old for this, who knows...
Jul 21, 2016 10:14 PM

Mar 2012
KingRequiem said:
@RichtheLionheart

That's not news to me, good old Oda also has the bad tendency of re-using the same narrative formula: Straw Hats arrive on island, people are opressed by big bad, Luffy meets crying big boobed princess, they help them, Luffy hogs the spotlight and beats up the big bad, everyone throws a party. At least there was Water 7 in-between and stuff like Shabondy to digress.

In any case, having always had pacing issues doesn't make up for said pacing issues anyway. I was fortunate enough to not go through Skypeia week by week but Dressrosa was probably on par or at least 2nd worse in that regard and I was there to read it. I dunno it just seems like the flame doesn't burn as brightly as it used to and things don't have the same exciting appeal to them like they used to be. Having an entire chapter of the crew walking in a forest of candies and making the same recycled jokes is too much for me. Even Sanji has been reduced to a walking obnoxious nose bleeding device.

Pretty sure Kidd got rekt by Kaido just so Oda could make him team up with Law and Luffy to avoid making a villain out of him. It feels like Oda is going less and less with daring ideas and decisions and taking the easy way at every turn. Well maybe I'm getting too old for this, who knows...

We'll just have to wait a few years and see how this all turns out and give a proper evaluation. I agree with you that pre-timeskip is undoubtedly better. Maybe because things were more fresh?

I think it'll all work out in the end and there is a lot of great things to come from One Piece. We just aren't going to get it every week.
Jul 21, 2016 10:22 PM

Dec 2015
@RichtheLionheart

I definitely have faith in the author's long scale planning, which is pretty much the reason why I'm still forcing myself each week tbh. And hoping the Kaido arc will make up for... whatever shit is going on atm since I expect great things out of the character.
Jul 22, 2016 5:30 AM

Nov 2010
KingRequiem said:
Dahaka_ said:

Jack's plotline was put on hold, so it's hard to say whether his build up has already ended or not and where is it going(though I'm pretty sure I know) And if anything, his feats are quite impressive, you just have to look at them from the right angle. Because Jack is, first and foremost, a tank, and all things he got put through serve to build up that character trait.

Of course he failed in his attempt to free Doflamingo. He was against TWO admiral level enemies. If he had won, the marines would have become a complete joke. Now the impressive thing is that he menaged to go against them and survive with some lov-mid level injuries. Surviving two admirals is an admirable feat, no matter how you look at it.

Then he fought for ten days with Inu and Neko - they were constantly switching places, and he was not. Sure, he didn't manage to beat them, but he managed to withstand their mutual effort. Once again his durability is showcased to be on a very high level. Another feat to prove him a great tank.

And finally the last encounter. I can see why you're diasppointed, but what transpired there was perfectly logical, and just because it wasn't what you were expecting does not mean it was badly written. Moreover, Jack wasn't trashed or anything really, he was literally put on-hold. There was a panel of him lying at the bottom of the ocean in perfectly fine condition. He tanked a hit with a high building-sized trunk, and the only reason he didn't counter attack is because he had bad luck and was incapacitated by water. Once again his survivability and endurance are shining here.

And let's not forget that he actually managed to devasted an entire country and cripple Inu and Neko, so that is something.

Nevertheless, Oda made Jack a tank, a guy who is always going to come back and haunt you and you can't stop him permanently. And I say he struck a pretty good balance in that portreyal, giving Jack both wins (vs Inu and Neko) and loses (vs Zunisha/admirals)

And as for the future. Jack is waiting for someone to pick him up, and Momo is basically alone on Zou, with only high level person protecting him being Inu. I can totally see him finishing his job eventually. The only reason he didn't do that in Zou arc, IMO, is that whole cake arc could happen. If Momo was taken right there, Luffy would go straight to Wano. That's why I keep saying Jack as put on-hold.

And where Jack's story is going, IMO, is fairly obvious. Seeing how minks have a grudge against Kaido(because of Oden), and now against Jack himself, it's clear to me that all of this was just a set-up for the inevitable Jack vs Inu/Neko fight. If that is where Oda is going, then what happened at Zou with all the tortures and what not is a perfect build up to that fight. If Jacks manages to take Momo, then it will basically be 99% confirmed.

So to sum up, I completely disagree with you on the matter of Jack :P You were expeting the build up to come into fruition in that arc, but in reality the whole arc was a build up for something that is going to happen on Wano most likely, and it's a build up that is probably still in progress. If Jack vs Inu/Neko is to come true, then all events in Zou serve to build it up perfectly well.

And now, as for the BM "terrible" plotline... :P I guess you're not a fan of the adventure in the forest? Or maybe Vinsmokes and upcoming tea party also don't suit you well?
Jul 22, 2016 5:50 AM
Jun 2016
Dahaka_ said:
KingRequiem said:

But Zou was awesome, pre-skip level arc.

Oh. I disagree. It was nice, and better than what we've been having so far in the TS, but not that good, imo. Not even close.
Jul 22, 2016 7:58 AM

Nov 2013
Considering that I haven't seen a single chapters for like 4 months since it became a snoozefest. I think it's understandable.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 22, 2016 8:59 AM

Dec 2015
@Dahaka_

But that's the thing. I know Jack is gonna get his conclusion later, thing is his "aura" is trashed definitively now. Sure he's a tank alright but he's now closer to a stupid cockroach who keeps coming back to get rekt than that Bane-like pragmatic mofo, what's done is done and I'd say it's too late to erase it. Think of Smoker. Remember how highly people thought of him before the timeskip ? The guy is just a laughable punching bag for anyone now and it will pretty damn hard to put him back on track. So yeah way to turn a ultra threatening villain who for once ACTUALLY ACTS LIKE A PIRATE SHOULD IN WARFARE into a foolish meathead... Anyway, if you still have good faith in Oda that's good I guess but that's not my case.

Rievlyne said:
Considering that I haven't seen a single chapters for like 4 months since it became a snoozefest. I think it's understandable.
You I like.
Jul 22, 2016 9:21 AM
Oct 2013
It´s just the aftereffects that come with exposure.
It´ll become worse once the bandwagons full with retards fill the internet with claims what a Masterpiece part one was and how part two turned to a pile of crap, that abandoned it´s roots and betrayed it´s ideals because it evolved.
I´ll give it 5 more years and it´ll have the same exposure as Naruto in North America and around the same score Naruto has now because "back in my day".

There´ll always be a minority of people in those groups that manage to voice their opinions reasonably, with logical arguments explaining themselves. But for every 1 of them there are 5 sheeps that just hop on the next thing they can focus their attention too. The OPM audiences/the Attack on Titan fanboys and the Sao tards.
IsterioJul 22, 2016 9:32 AM
Jul 22, 2016 9:30 AM

Dec 2015
Isterio said:
It´s just the aftereffects that come with exposure.
It´ll become worse once the bandwagons full with retards fill the internet with claims what a Masterpiece part one was and how part two turned to a pile of crap, that abandoned it´s roots and betrayed it´s ideals because it evolved.
I´ll give it 5 more years and it´ll have the same exposure as Naruto in North America and around the same score Naruto has now because "back in my day".
Naruto did turn into shit from the War arc onward and was pretty mediocre shortly after the Pain and Kage Summit arc, being critical =/= bandwagoning. I'll always be thankful for the good moments the series brought me but the criticism didn't spawn from the void you know.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Apr 23

55 by steeltec »»
Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Yesterday

0 by AhriTheS3xyFox »»
Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1110 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Mar 12

64 by cry4heals »»
Yesterday, 5:18 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1081 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 17, 2023

74 by anubela »»
Yesterday, 9:56 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 770 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LunyRem - Dec 11, 2014

50 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 26, 11:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.