Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2016 12:56 PM

Jun 2015
You always hear a bunch of people complaining that "the manga was better" or "the light novel had more details." So if you think about it the other way around, which anime were better than its original source counterpart and why?

The one that I can think of at the top of my head is probably Haikyuu!! Everything from the manga is retained, and the story is already really good. Add that with animation and sound and it just feels a thousand times better.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 8, 2016 1:02 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I haven't finished the manga but from what I read I think the Honey & Clover anime is better. The manga is good it is just the anime is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking good.

Not an anime but base on a light novel the movie Kamikaze Girls is better than the book. Again a similar case to Honey & Clover. The book is good but the movie is freaking awesome. Some of the best direction an imagery I've seen in a movie.
BrandJun 8, 2016 1:10 PM
Jun 8, 2016 1:02 PM

Apr 2015
Idk but some people who have read Usagi Drop said that the anime is better, I havent watch/read it tbh.
Jun 8, 2016 1:03 PM

Sep 2015
Shoukegi no soma had an excellent adaption literally panel by panel, hmm also hunter x hunter anime is better, the mushishi anime was captivating it brought the world to life a lot better than the manga did
Jun 8, 2016 1:06 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
You said:
Idk but some people who have read Usagi Drop said that the anime is better, I havent watch/read it tbh.

It's pretty close the big difference is the anime stops before the kind of icky ending. So, if you stop the manga at the same place you get the same effect.

Also, the anime is Emma is marginally better in the manga because it expands the romance between the two main characters more. Though, the manga has really great art... >__>

Oh and Oniisama e... the anime is way better. I watch the anime first and was surprised how short the manga was and it didn't quite hit the melodrama as well. The anime is very good but the manga was meh.

Both Kikoushi Enma (OVA) and Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera are better than the manga they are based on. The OVA makes the characters older and has more of Hellgirl vibe while Meeramera does away with some of the stupider stuff from the manga and dials the rest up to 11.

Ristorante Paradiso combines to manga to make a more complete story and cleans up the art a lot.

Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact! is awesome but the original manga (considering how big Mazinger is in Japan) is not great. Not Nagai's worst but it almost amounts to nothing considering everything that has be built on it.
BrandJun 8, 2016 1:16 PM
Jun 8, 2016 1:10 PM

Nov 2015
ixaa said:

The one that I can think of at the top of my head is probably Haikyuu!! Everything from the manga is retained, and the story is already really good. Add that with animation and sound and it just feels a thousand times better.

I have just seen a few pages of haikyuu but havent really read it. From only that though I think the anime is better because I really enjoyed it.

ConnorEP said:
Shoukegi no soma had an excellent adaption literally panel by panel, hmm also hunter x hunter anime is better, the mushishi anime was captivating it brought the world to life a lot better than the manga did

I cant say about Shokugeki no Soma. I love them both.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2016 1:13 PM

Oct 2010
Was going to say Onii-sama e, for sure, and am surprised--and pleased!--to see someone beat me to it! The way the anime expanded on the manga, fleshing out characters who were left somewhat superficial due to the manga's shortness, made it ultimately the much better, more mature product. (The anime happens to be one of my all-time favorites, whereas my love for the manga exists only in conjunction with my love for the anime.)
Jun 8, 2016 1:15 PM

Oct 2015
Metalixx said:
ixaa said:

I have just seen a few pages of haikyuu but havent really read it. From only that though I think the anime is better because I really enjoyed it.

I have read the manga and watched the Anime but I can say that the anime is so well done and I think slightly better than the manga since we have the soundtrack, the voice actors who do an incredible job and overall the story is well adapted :)
Jun 8, 2016 1:18 PM

Apr 2013
ConnorEP said:

HxH art was total garbage, the anime is sooooo much better.
Jun 8, 2016 1:39 PM
May 2016
This is pretty stupid of me to post, since I haven't even read the Yuru Yuri manga, but I would think Yuru Yuri would work better as an anime. Soundtrack, colorful, adorable. It just seems to fit better as an anime.
Jun 8, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2015
Shiroharu said:
Metalixx said:

I have read the manga and watched the Anime but I can say that the anime is so well done and I think slightly better than the manga since we have the soundtrack, the voice actors who do an incredible job and overall the story is well adapted :)

I really should read the manga then. I am on the second season now and I can say that I am really enjoying it. I believe the manga wont disappoint me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2016 1:49 PM

Jan 2014
Most anime series tend to be better actually. They offer more than the manga ever could and enhance enjoyment and clarity. This is of course considering series that follow the source closely for the most part.

Till this day, I am yet to see any adequate defense for manga. The one thing that is always mentioned is that you can control your pace.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 8, 2016 1:54 PM

Jul 2013
Kekkai Sensen, maybe? I haven't read the manga, but I heard the manga, unlike the anime, didn't had any relevant plot or something like that, while the manga has the storyline of the twins as the great climax of the series.
Jun 8, 2016 1:59 PM

May 2016
The Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu movie was massively better then the book it was based on. Surprising since that's not the case with the show at all.

Similarly with Black Lagoon OVA (Roberta's Blood Trail), anime actually had way more to offer than the manga. It presented its story in a way more focused way + nicely changed the location in one of the scenes, so it had a bit more impact to it.

So that's two cases, which is a lot since I've read so little manga that I don't bother to put it on my list.
Jun 8, 2016 2:08 PM

Dec 2015
Gankutsuô might not be better than Le Compte de Monte Cristo but it is near its level.

Probably various (hentai) visual-novel adaptations could qualify as better than their source game.
Jun 8, 2016 2:08 PM

Apr 2013
I've heard that Infinite Stratos anime is better than the original novels. Or maybe I should say, that the novels are even worse than the anime.
Although, I'm not going to check that. Dropped the anime, not going to buy the LN just to check if it's worse or not ^^".
Also Chu2byou anime is supposed to be better, too. Not going to check that one either, sorry. :o
Jun 8, 2016 2:21 PM
Jun 2011
I watched The Tatami Galaxy before reading it, and I really really liked the anime, so I'd probably have to say it's better. It's got the visuals, the great OP, and it seemed more natural for there to be eight paths than four. It really hammered the device in, and each episode was still entertaining.
Jun 8, 2016 2:22 PM

Oct 2015
Metalixx said:
Shiroharu said:

I really should read the manga then. I am on the second season now and I can say that I am really enjoying it. I believe the manga wont disappoint me.

Yes, I think it won't. At least when I started reading it it didn't and it is still very good though I have to say that one thing bothered me quite a bit but that would be a spoiler so I'll leave that out :D
But other than that it's soooo nice and there are a few scenes which unfortunately aren't in the anime but are so funny and nice
Jun 8, 2016 2:38 PM

Jun 2015
Mushishi - greatly improved from the manga with its soothing atmophere, music, and animation.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) - besides the manga's scruffy art and constant hiatuses, it improves from the source with its voice acting and Madhouse-tier animation. Not to mention the glorious DEPARTURE opening.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - the dynamic colors used in fight scenes are something you can't go wrong with. It makes them flashier, livelier, and overall more fun. You have great voice acting to go with it as well.
Jun 8, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2015
shigatsu wa kimi no uso
hotarubi no mori e
haikyuuu
HxH

there arent too many actually but these are for sure better than their original source
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jun 8, 2016 3:07 PM

Jun 2016
Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood i'm gonna guess
Jun 8, 2016 3:08 PM

Oct 2015
Although both are brilliant, I prefer Ghost in the Shell (movie) over the first manga volume it adapted.
Jun 8, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2015
Dragon Ball Z minus certain filler episodes with Bruce Falcon music makes it better than the manga with over 9000 ;3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jun 8, 2016 3:14 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Havent read it but i think Gintama works better in anime form than manga... ?
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 8, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2015
Quite rare.

K-On and Lucky Star big examples
Often Garei Zero is also talked about.
Seto no Hanayome also comes to mind
Jun 8, 2016 3:49 PM

Sep 2015
I haven't read much manga but I thought JoJo parts 1 & 2 were better as an anime
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Jun 8, 2016 3:53 PM
Dec 2014
Ghost in the shell.

The manga is... an acquired taste.
Jun 8, 2016 3:55 PM
Dec 2014
Fejita said:
fate stay night, gintama and berserk

Oh yes Berserk is definitely better than the source. Best original anime ending as well.
Jun 8, 2016 4:35 PM

Jan 2015
Zefyris said:
I've heard that Infinite Stratos anime is better than the original novels. Or maybe I should say, that the novels are even worse than the anime.
Although, I'm not going to check that. Dropped the anime, not going to buy the LN just to check if it's worse or not ^^".
Also Chu2byou anime is supposed to be better, too. Not going to check that one either, sorry. :o

Are you telling me Infinite Stratos' anime didn't convince you to read the LN? I don't believe it, IS is a game changer to the harem/ecchi/mech/school genre. Anime is saved because of IS.

OT:As others have said HxH is really well adapted. Personally I think FMA:B is better than the manga despite the "rushed" beginning.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jun 8, 2016 4:49 PM

Apr 2013
bobzanny said:
Zefyris said:

Are you telling me Infinite Stratos' anime didn't convince you to read the LN? I don't believe it, IS is a game changer to the harem/ecchi/mech/school genre. Anime is saved because of IS.

OT:As others have said HxH is really well adapted. Personally I think FMA:B is better than the manga despite the "rushed" beginning.

Yeah because it didn't save LNs so there's no point :].
Jun 8, 2016 4:52 PM

Jul 2015
Yu Yu Hakusho - So many things were expanded on, fights were better.

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal - Same as above. Also the grimdark tone shift was more appropriate when compared to the manga's mix of comedy/drama when considering the context of the story.

Those are the only two that I have read and watched and thought that the anime was noticeably better than the manga. I'm sure there are others.
Rose_BombJun 8, 2016 4:56 PM
Jun 8, 2016 4:54 PM

May 2015

Obviously this.
EmperorQ said:
Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood i'm gonna guess

It was moving manga without a soul that left some stuff left and translated badly at the beginning, how would it be better?
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 8, 2016 5:21 PM

Dec 2012
The only one that I can think of is the Moribito anime. The novel is good too, but the anime adds some well placed character development. I really wish someone would animate the other books though....
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 8, 2016 5:31 PM

Sep 2015
DatRandomDude said:
Havent read it but i think Gintama works better in anime form than manga... ?
Any anime where Tomokazu Sugita is voiceacting is better. In my opinion he adds so much to characters personality and instantly makes them better and in most cases funnier (obv, Gintoki from Gintama and Joseph from JoJo Part 2 are classic examples)
Jun 8, 2016 5:41 PM

Apr 2013
Kruszer said:
The only one that I can think of is the Moribito anime. The novel is good too, but the anime adds some well placed character development. I really wish someone would animate the other books though....

Oh right, I forgot about that one. The anime studio really did a magnificent job here.
Best example of an anime adaptation transcending the original material to give a true gem.
Jun 8, 2016 6:56 PM

Mar 2015
Enishi- said:
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal - Same as above. Also the grimdark tone shift was more appropriate when compared to the manga's mix of comedy/drama when considering the context of the story.
i don't know why people prising deen solely because the ending... they skipping important arc before that and make some filler instead... i want my kyoto arc in animated form!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 8, 2016 7:10 PM

Oct 2015
Hunter x Hunter 2011 - A lot lot better than its manga counterpart. The manga didn't have the best art, and with the hiatuses, it wasn't easy to forget the previous content. The anime treated the manga very well (It only had one major story difference in the beggining, which is covered later in the anime. And it had other minor differences) But all and all, it got a great treatment in terms of art, fights and especially music. The OSTs couldn't have been more suited.

Gankutsuou - I have not read the Novel, but this anime would be better than it's Novel imo. It's unique art was very captivating, along with great music.

Working! - Definitely better than the manga. Although I only read a few chapters of the manga, I feel like the anime was better. The Slice of Life-ey feeling was well played out in the anime.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 8, 2016 7:16 PM
Mar 2016
ixaa said:
You always hear a bunch of people complaining that "the manga was better" or "the light novel had more details." So if you think about it the other way around, which anime were better than its original source counterpart and why?

I say this not reading the book, but watching the show which is apparently a verbatim retelling of the source material. I could very much be wrong.

Personally, I thought that Full Metal Alchemist was better than FMA Brotherhood. Yes, it held better to the source material (as I'm told), but the thing is, with any cross medium adaptation things need to be cut/modified to be better for the adaptation. So while it did not follow its source, I think that Full Metal Alchemist was simply a better show to watch as it resolved character conflicts better and kept to the topic in a way that I feel was lost in Brotherhood.

In short, Full Metal Alchemist was simply a better TV show than Brotherhood. But then again, I don't read Manga.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Jun 8, 2016 7:25 PM

Apr 2014
kara no kyoukai but then again most light novels are better in animes.
Jun 8, 2016 7:58 PM

Nov 2015
vampire hunter D bloodlust
just does more then the book
Jun 9, 2016 4:19 AM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
Enishi- said:
i don't know why people prising deen solely because the ending... they skipping important arc before that and make some filler instead... i want my kyoto arc in animated form!

You mean Jinchuu arc right? Kyoto got a pretty solid adaptation.
Jun 9, 2016 4:30 AM

Mar 2015
Enishi- said:
Kuma said:

ah yeah, that one! my memories kinda messed up...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 9, 2016 4:35 AM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
Enishi- said:

ah yeah, that one! my memories kinda messed up...

Yeah I hear ya on all accounts for that one. For the life of my I cannot figure out why that arc hasn't been animated. I'd bet more than 50% of RK fans don't even know that arc exists.
Jun 11, 2016 6:38 AM

Mar 2014
For me, i like the source better, especially manga. In manga, there more detail than in anime. Because anime sometime crop detail
Jun 11, 2016 7:39 AM

Jan 2008
RedRoseFring said:
This is of course considering series that follow the source closely for the most part.

And that's the problem with most anime.
Jun 11, 2016 8:04 AM

May 2016
Gungrave is a hell of a lot better than its mediocre 2-hour-long 3rd-person-shoot-'em-up source. It's not even a fair comparison.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 11, 2016 8:18 AM
Jul 2015
Hunter x Hunter 2011 is better than the original manga.

Jun 11, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2016
When i read this thread , first thing that come to my mind was gintama , because that action & comedy moment are better in the anime than the manga (even there's a skipped arc in the anime)

Second was nazo no kanojo x , i got this anime from some member at MAL , he say that is better watch anime than read manga , so i read a couple of chapter first before watch it for because of my curiousity , after that i watch the anime and thats right , better watch the anime than read the manga

And how could we call this "better than original" thread if we don't count JoJo series , DavidPro seems had improve the anime adaption , the anime looks more unique especially at the action scene (in better way , of course)

Well , that's my opinion
Jun 11, 2016 9:57 AM

Sep 2015
Tokyo Ghoul anime was so much better than the manga.

Just kidding please don't kill me.

Honestly, I think most CGDCT and SoL anime work better as an anime than the manga since interactions seem more fluid when animated.
Jun 11, 2016 10:00 AM
Apr 2013
I will name:

Highschool of the Dead
Gekkan Shoujo

As they have a better flow and presentation in the anime compared to their respective manga.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Can you distinguish reality from fiction?

tappioca - 1 hour ago

8 by Catalano »»
7 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion?

castle2001 - 11 hours ago

34 by mahyur »»
8 minutes ago

» What is the best anime in your opinion?

tappioca - 2 hours ago

9 by Eleben »»
19 minutes ago

» How long until we see western adaptations of series that follow the footsteps of anime adapting manga?

_cjessop19_ - 46 minutes ago

1 by Eleben »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you think we should have live-action show turn into anime?

RedTea33 - 4 hours ago

6 by Eleben »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.