Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2016 3:53 PM

Jun 2015
That was quite an average first episode, far from the best thing I've seen this season. I'm sure it'll get better though. The music was nice, and the animation wasn't too bad either. The comedic moments felt out of place, and this first episode was rather predictable.

3/5 for now.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Apr 6, 2016 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
Was good, but was not that impressive. Anyway was only the 1º episode so im sure it will get better later on ^^
Apr 6, 2016 4:07 PM

Jun 2015
Another example of weird but cool. I like weird anime. This had some really funny moments. Art style is nice too. Seems like it will be fun
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Apr 6, 2016 4:10 PM

Feb 2015
Woah, this lived up to the hype. And it's funnier than I expected.
Apr 6, 2016 5:04 PM

Oct 2015
Although the comedy wasn't really funny to me, it still has quite a nice atmosphere between 'not so serious' and 'serious', and I can tell there's some feels to be had as well. The almost Soul Eater type animation brought back good memories which I think gave it some plus points for me, definitely looking forward to more of this.

Characters are alright so far, only one who's really stuck to me is Dazai (immediate fave)

Nah, I think this is gonna be good

....... (I'm still gonna ship it *wink wonk*)
Apr 6, 2016 5:25 PM

Apr 2014
Very cool first episode. The storyline doesn't seem to be too unique but I guess this is a show that favors style over substance which is completely ok with me.
Didn't expect so many comedy scenes but they didn't felt out of place. I guess that means this show wont get too dark or serious.
Apr 6, 2016 5:28 PM

Aug 2015
This was great and entertaining. The characters introduced in this episode were likeable as well. Hoping this series delivers as I've been looking forward to this for a while.
Apr 6, 2016 5:30 PM
Jul 2011
Interesting. Not the most fun, but interesting. This is second time in a short span that Japan's raped Edogawa Ranpo's image, though. Lols. It's a bit more fun if you know the authors it's referencing. Like the fact that the real Dazai tried to kill himself multiple times and eventually drowned. It'd be like giving American authors magic powers and introducing Sylvia Plath by having her head stuck in the oven.

Where is Natsume-sensei, though? I need him to appear and turn into a snarky cat.
Apr 6, 2016 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
And it is here...been following the manga and was happy that it was here.
Not bad for an opening episode.
Looking forward to see Kyouka.
Apr 6, 2016 5:47 PM

Dec 2012
I expected something more serious. Too much comedy...
Apr 6, 2016 5:59 PM

Jun 2013
Very nice start!
This has a lot of potential!
Apr 6, 2016 6:05 PM

Jan 2010
Haven't read the manga yet. But it was a good episode. Will continue to watch but, that ED showed signs of shounen ai which is the only thing I didn't like. Anyway, Good first ep.
Apr 6, 2016 6:28 PM

Oct 2012
huh, that was pretty entertaining.
Not quite what I expected at all but still good.
Apr 6, 2016 6:30 PM

Aug 2012
LOL I've laughed so much at the first 10 minutes. Finally I found a show that I like from this season. All the characters are likable (so far). And Edogawa Rampo o.O I'm really curious about his skill.

Btw it's kinda predictable that the MC is the man-eating tiger, I figured it out the second he said that the tiger followed him everywhere he went ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Amazing first episode. Looking forward to next episode ^‿‿^
Apr 6, 2016 7:14 PM
Mar 2016
I'm in love with this show. The art and how the the show pulls of the contrast between serious and comedic scenes is amazing. Pretty great how it's messing tropes. OP is pretty good too, imo. I think this is definitely show of the season material, but that's just my two cents :)
Apr 6, 2016 7:22 PM

Oct 2011
OMG!!!!!! Great first episode,
Apr 6, 2016 7:31 PM

Mar 2014
After reading "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai a few months ago, and then finding a character loosely based on both the novel and author, I had to find it ironic. Early on in No Longer Human, the main character commits a double suicide with a women who he had slept with and further discovered they shared the same/similar distaste for life. Most ironically they jump off a cliff together, she dies he survives, and now theres finally an alternative ending to that first book in No Longer Human. He was rescued by the author Atsushi Nakajima! So thats what happened! tehehe : )
Anyways I'm looking forward to this series, this and mayoiga will definitely suit my tastes.
Apr 6, 2016 7:35 PM

Apr 2015
First episode was good, but much too soon to tell if series is going to be good.

Pretty obvious that the kid was the tiger.

The quality of this type of story revolves around the quality of the cases and the characters. So far the characters are weird, but not particularly engaging.
Apr 6, 2016 7:57 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly, the first episode was amazing despite the obvious cliche of a tragic white haired lead character.
I was also iffy on the whole suicide obsessed dude (although I loved him) because it was kind of cringy but hopefully that gets explained???
Apr 6, 2016 8:16 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Simulacra5202 said:
After reading "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai a few months ago, and then finding a character loosely based on both the novel and author, I had to find it ironic.

Ohh that's informative, thanks :) I think references can always go over people's heads, so now it makes a little more sense why he called his ability "No Longer Human." Otherwise, it made little sense to me.

Kuro_Mizuki said:
"Ame ni no Makuzo"
"Ningen Shikkaku"
"Kimi shi ni tamaou koto nakare"
"Beast beneath the moonlight"
their ability names are named after novels, japanese literature and poetry. . . . . . .

while "Doppo Poet" is reference after a famous novelist and poetry during Meiji era named Doppo Kunikida

This too. Although I think it sucks that a lot us don't know this...but the references shouldn't be a big part of the series I think, so it's shouldn't be too bad for those that aren't aware. Very interesting though.
Apr 6, 2016 8:29 PM

Oct 2013
Biggest disappointment so far this season. I was expecting this to be at least decent, also thought it would be similar to gangsta atmosphere.

What I got was some light hearted comedy atmosphere, the comedy wasn't even funny btw, this anime is also made for fujoshi, I can't count the amount of time that the main character butt was in my face. Jesus plot was boring and predictable.

Dropped! not worth my time. It has great visuals though, I'll give it that.
keragammingApr 6, 2016 8:34 PM
Apr 6, 2016 8:46 PM

Jun 2014
I feel like this show would be a lot more interesting if I was more familiar with Japanese literature. I imagine if there was an English literature version of this, there would be more amusing stuff for me like Edgar Allen Poe being chuunibyou and Herman Melville always being sea sick. The only author I'm familiar with in this is Osamu Dazai, I didn't finish No Longer Human but from what I've read it was great, so him being obsessed with suicide is funny since he was so emo.

Kind of reminds me of JoJo too, except they're named after authors instead of musicians, and their powers are named after their books instead of songs.

Has potential, even if the token Bones superpower team series of the season.
Apr 6, 2016 8:57 PM

Jan 2011
seems aright definitely a watch just to see how it turns out to early to judge.

orphan backstories...though...
Apr 6, 2016 9:06 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Not drinking the Kool Aid on this one yet. The first episode was 3/5 for me but I will keep watching to see where it goes.
Apr 6, 2016 9:13 PM

Jan 2012
Can already tell this will be my favorite of the season
Apr 6, 2016 9:28 PM

Mar 2014
I wasn't really expecting any comedy, but it was fine. Was a decent first episode, will definitely continue watching.
Apr 6, 2016 9:37 PM

Jan 2015
The_Deceiver said:
Indestructible clothes annoyed me way more then it should have...

This annoyed me too...

Overall, it reminds of Soul Eater with the whole over the top comedy with dark gothic vibe.
Apr 6, 2016 9:45 PM
Jul 2013
Another anime series added to my watchlist. Lol at suicide boy. "Thou shalt not die" ability is quite interesting.
Apr 6, 2016 9:46 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing from beginning to end xD

I love the setting and atmosphere of this series and also the supernatural bits were pretty awesome especially when combined with the nice visuals and OST

Best part about this are the characters and their interactions with one another though lol and now I can't wait to get to know the rest of the cast/this Detective Agency
Apr 6, 2016 9:51 PM

Oct 2009
My YAOI SENSES ARE TINGLING (๑→‿←๑) teehee ♥
Atsushi looks like fcking Nitori aaaaauugghhh

The Bridge scene reminded me of Arakawa Under the Bridge. I was waiting for Nino-san to appear and shove a fish in his mouth xD Comedy +10 in my book
That aside, it's cool that their names are from Japanese authors and their powers are the author's books :D
Thug_GouApr 6, 2016 10:04 PM

Apr 6, 2016 9:52 PM

Jun 2014
I started it with no expectations and I'm pretty happy with I got. Comedy was fine and I am already starting to like the Chars. So many times i kept starting at MCs hair. Looked pretty cool.
Best char for this Ep was Suicidal maniac. 5/5
Apr 6, 2016 9:56 PM

Jul 2011
Detective agency filled with quirky people with rare superpowers.
Reminds me of hamatora.
Looking forward for more, anyway
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Apr 6, 2016 10:06 PM

Jan 2011
Knew he was the tiger.
Apr 6, 2016 10:09 PM
Nov 2013
The hype is so real, everything I expected it to be. This will most likely be a big hit for Bones, similar to Kekkai Sensen.
Apr 6, 2016 10:16 PM

Oct 2015
I'm so happy with the first episode. I love it already! Good animation and character design and art and soundtrack and pacing. Balanced combination of humor and the more serious matter. It also doesn't feel so stuffed, just bits of information here and there. 10/10 for the pilot. Really left a good impression to me! Now, off to read the manga that covers this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2016 11:05 PM

Jul 2007
tingy said:
Simulacra5202 said:
After reading "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai a few months ago, and then finding a character loosely based on both the novel and author, I had to find it ironic.

Ohh that's informative, thanks :) I think references can always go over people's heads, so now it makes a little more sense why he called his ability "No Longer Human." Otherwise, it made little sense to me.

Kuro_Mizuki said:
"Ame ni no Makuzo"
"Ningen Shikkaku"
"Kimi shi ni tamaou koto nakare"
"Beast beneath the moonlight"
their ability names are named after novels, japanese literature and poetry. . . . . . .

while "Doppo Poet" is reference after a famous novelist and poetry during Meiji era named Doppo Kunikida

This too. Although I think it sucks that a lot us don't know this...but the references shouldn't be a big part of the series I think, so it's shouldn't be too bad for those that aren't aware. Very interesting though.

That's not all - the characterization and behavior so far follows the historical life of said authors too, at least in terms of Dazai.

Dazai tried to kill himself multiple times till he eventually succeeded by drowning himself in a river.
In this series we are introduced to Dazai when he is in proccess of drowning himself and he has an obsession with trying to kill himself.

Part of me wonders on whether they will add other traits of his too(like his alcoholism, or his drug addiction or his absolute trainwrecks of marriages)

Then you have parts of it like character based on Kenji Miyazawa this episode, who dresses like a farmer, which most likely is because most of his latter works were children's literature about country life and values of simple life.

If they are using the author's lives in plot, this could turn quite dark and interesting since at least all the authors introduced int he first episode had a LOT of dark and messed up things in their lives.
Apr 6, 2016 11:19 PM

May 2015
Definitely lived up to the hype. I actually wasn't expecting so much comedy, but I love comedy so it's great! Sure, the Troubled Backstory Flashback felt a little shoved down our throats. But that's alright. I also love how the characters are named after Japanese writers. Although the only one I knew was Rampo Edogawa, (because of Detective Conan) it really adds a fun element to the story.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Apr 6, 2016 11:26 PM

Dec 2010
As expected this episode was absolutely GORGEOUS! BONES really knows how to make a show look good. Their adaptations are some of my favorites as well. It feels like a mix of Kekkai Sensen and Zetsuen no Tempest and I enjoyed both of those series, and really loved the latter.

I read the first few chapters of the manga and really enjoyed them, so I'm excited to see where this is going to go. The ending is really unique as well. Plus, I really like the character designs! I'm definitely hyped for more!
Apr 6, 2016 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
Meh comedy, but some serious fujobait. Those buttshots though lol.

The visuals are great though. The plot is a bit predictable, and those flashbacks are pretty much repititive. Will stick to this for few ep to see how it turns out.
Apr 6, 2016 11:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Fai said:
tingy said:

That's not all - the characterization and behavior so far follows the historical life of said authors too, at least in terms of Dazai.

Dazai tried to kill himself multiple times till he eventually succeeded by drowning himself in a river.
In this series we are introduced to Dazai when he is in proccess of drowning himself and he has an obsession with trying to kill himself.

Part of me wonders on whether they will add other traits of his too(like his alcoholism, or his drug addiction or his absolute trainwrecks of marriages)

Then you have parts of it like character based on Kenji Miyazawa this episode, who dresses like a farmer, which most likely is because most of his latter works were children's literature about country life and values of simple life.

If they are using the author's lives in plot, this could turn quite dark and interesting since at least all the authors introduced int he first episode had a LOT of dark and messed up things in their lives.

Thanks for the input :) Again, really interesting information for speculation of what may be done with the characters/what's to come. While it's good to know, at least it's not information that the audience have to know to enjoy the series. I just went to read up some of the authors' biography and I'm looking forward to seeing how much of each author's background will be included in the series.
Apr 7, 2016 12:06 AM

Jan 2015
👏👏👏 great episode.
High budget right here.
Apr 7, 2016 12:11 AM

Dec 2013
Interesting premises, but I have to ask, if the orphanage already knew that Atsushi was the tiger, then why did they even put up with him in the first place? I sure as heck wouldn't want a Tiger-transforming boy in and around other kids.

The art reminds me of what they showed for Kiznaiver, yet the characters and their interactions screams Kekkai Sensen.

So far, I do like what I've seen.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 7, 2016 12:13 AM

Jul 2007
L-Ryoshi said:
Interesting premises, but I have to ask, if the orphanage already knew that Atsushi was the tiger, then why did they even put up with him in the first place? I sure as heck wouldn't want a Tiger-transforming boy in and around other kids.

Chances are they figured it out after it happened?
Apr 7, 2016 12:13 AM

Jan 2008
A pretty solid first episode. Reminds me a lot of Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)...a lone boy comes to a city where weird things happen, and gets roped into being recruited by equally eccentric people at a detective agency whom all posses supernatural powers, topped off with comedic cues, often at the protagonist's expense.

I don't mind if someone copies and pastes the above in a recommendation on MAL, cuz I'm turning in from staying up watching too much anime premieres.
Apr 7, 2016 12:14 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
It's like Blood Blockade Battlefront and Durarara had a baby. And I love it.

Art and animation look really nice. Nice color palette and cool character designs. Music is great, lots of jazz and even some hip hop type elements, very similar to Blood Blockade.

I think this is the first time I've seen a series do an OP and ED like that, I like how they did that. OP was great and ED was also really good.

I like the idea of sort of an "underground" task force fighting the supernatural. The cast of characters seem pretty charming.

The only thing this is lacking is more cute girls.

I have high hopes for this one!
Apr 7, 2016 12:17 AM

Dec 2010
That was a great first episode! I need the next one NOW. ^_^
Deliveries go here pls <3
Candy Kingdom
(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Apr 7, 2016 12:24 AM

Oct 2013
Not feeling this episode. I don't see how going from 5 or so minutes of expositional backstory about how apparently tragic the MC's life is to having a guy drowning for comic relief is a good idea at all. I swear, Atsushi repeats what happened to him at least 4 times this episode, and it got on my nerves. The comedy isn't even funny at all. It's so toned down and basic. The animation and character designs were solid, and the GRANRODEO OP was decent, but that's about it. Really disappointing episode for me.
Apr 7, 2016 12:48 AM
Apr 2015
Ohh. A Kekkai Sensen with a touch of Durarara!

The first episode is amazing, if this turns out really good, this might end up one of my faves. Don't disappoint me, Bones.

Tbh loving the OST already
Apr 7, 2016 12:57 AM

Nov 2012
Seems like its going to be like a "monster of the week" type of show. The comedy was very hit or miss so i could see my self getting tired of this show pretty fast. I'll give it another episode.
Apr 7, 2016 1:22 AM

May 2015
meh, nothing interesting for now. The comedy is out of place and not funny after a while, everything else is pretty much average. After the second time saying he is a good-for-nothing it got boring to hear it, repeating the same thing over and over won't make it more impressive. Probably I will drop it.
zalApr 7, 2016 1:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2016

203 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.