Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 2, 2016 9:38 PM
Aug 2011
tingy said:
THOSE UGLY RED SOCKS. Shun is a walking fashion disaster.

I had more fun reading this comment than I did watching the entire episode.

Mormegil said:
This was incredibly dull. When's the last time Brains Base made a good show?

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi circa 2012 ;~;
Apr 2, 2016 9:42 PM

Jan 2014
Meh first episode was ok, I'm one of the few people that actually liked the first half before they went into Endra it seems :L
guilty crown x kingdom hearts?
♥♥♥♥♥ View my Anime list here ♥♥♥♥♥
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/macroo

♥♥♥♥♥ ≧^◡^≦ ♥♥♥♥♥
Apr 2, 2016 10:16 PM

Feb 2015
Hmmm, seems a bit mediocre but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
Apr 2, 2016 10:39 PM

Jul 2014
Looks cool! Great graphics overall, it seems to have a light hearted story but I think this will be a good show this season.
Apr 2, 2016 10:48 PM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
Maybe it was due to watching Rakugo earlier but... the dialogue was so generic and boring in this. The characters felt weak and especially with Emilio, the way the show wanted to sell his character to me ("Oh, this poor little boy!") felt a bit too forced, I don't care about any of what's going on and am given no reason to do so... I think it felt too poorly constructed as well, like "This HAS to happen, MC 1 has to get MC 2 out of prison and just follow him..."
It felt as if the author wanted these specific plotpoints to happen just so he could get to the stuff he actually cares to write about?
Them constantly yelling at each other "How did you do that!" "Where did you come from!" "I told you I don't know!" got tiring very fast too. Dropped unless it really picks up with the next episode which I strongly doubt.
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 2, 2016 11:13 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
It was okay I guess.....Not really Impressed by anything as of yet though
Apr 2, 2016 11:17 PM

Jun 2015
That was alright I guess. Nothing special though.
:)
Apr 2, 2016 11:20 PM

Jan 2014
I'm ready for the bromance.
Apr 2, 2016 11:29 PM

Jan 2015
u da realest fucka I've seen in this thread.
Apr 2, 2016 11:49 PM

Dec 2014
looked like the typical Shounen anime
Apr 2, 2016 11:56 PM

Mar 2009
stand said:
tingy said:

I had more fun reading this comment than I did watching the entire episode.

Mormegil said:
This was incredibly dull. When's the last time Brains Base made a good show?

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi circa 2012 ;~;

It's really been that long, huh? That stings. :(
Apr 2, 2016 11:56 PM

Mar 2014
wtf is that backpack. he doesn't even try to take off even if he is back home.
Apr 3, 2016 12:01 AM
Feb 2015
Not bad for the first episode this show definitely has a lot of potential so I'll give it an 8 for starters :D oh and Emilio is definitely babe, he has that bad boy vibe that I can't resist from any anime character <33
Apr 3, 2016 12:17 AM

Aug 2011
Seriously... it make me sleepy
Apr 3, 2016 12:33 AM

Dec 2015
Very generic feeling, nothing good or bad so far. But... it is an original project and a full length series (hate the 2010s trend of half-length anime). I will at least watch it until the mid-finale.
I decided to start it because of the original chara-designers for the main characters but I hardly recognize the styles of Watsuki (the heads geometry maybe?) and the Bastard mangaka. Maybe it was too well harmonized to distinguish them. ^^

During years, the prince bears a grudge toward his (foster) father for the death of the one he never knew? Did he never heard you can actually resolve misunderstanding if you talk to each other, especially in the family? o_o

3/5

Annuvin said:
The lion-human hybrid thing made me think of Digimon, pretty sure there was one looking just like that.

Leomon, the doomed species whose specimen always dies in any series.
Rei_IIIApr 3, 2016 12:42 AM
Apr 3, 2016 3:27 AM

Jun 2013
MC arrives into New world, nothing New, but at always that has potential.

let' see where this goes before I make judgement
JarjaxleApr 5, 2016 12:55 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Apr 3, 2016 3:37 AM

Jan 2012
Wow the OST was beautiful

Apr 3, 2016 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
people taking weapons from their/each other's hearts or souls or something?
hmmmm, where have i seen that before?

come on, even the protagonist's name is similar.

i really enjoyed it tho
Apr 3, 2016 4:02 AM

Jan 2011
Well that was exceptionally average, inb4 Leomon dies first.

tingy said:
Reminds me of Arata Kangatari.
That's what I thought.
Apr 3, 2016 4:37 AM
Mar 2012
Hm.

Yeah, "generic" kinda hits home. I guess I'll give it another one or two episodes.

It would really be nice thoug, to have a sensibly dressed female. You know, just one (non-shoujo) anime where you can't see half of their tits and/or their panties? That's not too much to ask, is it?
Apr 3, 2016 5:03 AM
Aug 2015
Guys just because it was generic doesn't mean its gonna be bad. Look at SNAFU started off with a ultimate cliched premise and became awesome.

Production and Pacing was OK.
Exposition was nice.

I have high hopes for this.

I can just about hear the yaoi fangirls already.
Apr 3, 2016 5:03 AM

Dec 2015
Again, another cliche-y and meh anime...

Hard to pass 1st episode.

Horrible opening, especially the singer.

I'll give it JUST another chance... But I know I'll end up watching the complete thing again, just like with comet lucifer -.-
Apr 3, 2016 5:36 AM

Feb 2012
I literally just needed 5 seconds of the chapter to recognize that the OST is composed by Kouhei Tanaka. It sounds a lot like One Piece.
Best of this episode, tho.
Apr 3, 2016 5:53 AM

Jan 2015
This ep somewhat reminds me of *Comet Lucifer* = it was average at best. I'll watch this show for another 2/3 episodes...if it will be the same I'll drop it for sure...
Apr 3, 2016 6:19 AM

Oct 2015
Just looking at those skinny jeans...
And they're cut off enough so you can see the socks..

Japan has no fashion sense,
They make me want to drink bleach.
ur mum gay lol
Soundcloud - Lunar Aura
Apr 3, 2016 6:31 AM
Dec 2014
idk felt kinda... off?
Its looking like season filler
Apr 3, 2016 6:59 AM

Oct 2008
I couldn't keep myself watching, so I stopped after 10 minutes or so. I wasn't going to watch, I "tried", and confirmed that I won't.
Apr 3, 2016 7:46 AM

Oct 2011
I had some decent hopes for this thing going in, and at first, it was alright. The part with Shun in the crystal shop reminded me of my own adventures as a child, marveling at shiny rocks in the wellness shop downtown.

And then the rest of the episode happened.

The visuals are... alright. It might be the residual love of Hai to Gensou no Grimgar's background work and mild, but memorable color palet talking, but so far, nothing has really stood out to me aside from the weird crooked angles of the swords and the decent character designs. The colors are both ostentatious and muted at the same time, which just makes everyone look like darker-toned versions of the characters from Comet Lucifer or No Game No Life.

The dialogue was flat and frustratingly vague for something as important as a first episode of a Shounen-Fantasy series that ought to be centered around its characters, their relationships and their struggle to, I suppose, beat the villain that they barely set up with the worst explanation I've seen for a character's motivation in a while. Hell, the entire first conversation we see between Emilio and Shun is basically Emilio snapping at Shun, and Shun rephrasing what Emilio said back to him as a question. That's really the epic first meeting they want to set up here? Shun and Emilio talk over eachother's heads the entire episode, basically, and it really doesn't do anything to set them up in even the most basic way to the viewer.

And oh God, the progression between scenes was teeth-grinding. There is no connective tissue or logic behind what happens, it just does, in such rapid succession and with such a resounding lack of gravity that I'm thankful I hadn't just picked this up on a whim. If I hadn't had my interest piqued by the plot summary, I might've dropped this on the spot. Some scenes flip-flopped so hard from one moment to the other that I had to pause and just take in how bad the pacing was. A few key examples here may be how one moment Emilio snaps at Shun to put away his sword, then literally the next minute he snaps at Shun to take it out again. Why? What was the point of that? Exposition? Why do that here, in such a clumsy and flat way, when you could take your time to better explain this in episode two, and have the characters bond over training or somesuch? Or how about that one part where Emilio says the guards will find them no matter where they hide, and not more than a few minutes later, suddenly they'll never be found in the conveniently placed sewers (which was connected to the river they fell in? What?) - and don't get me started on the counterfit Wolverine fight in-between. Flat set-up of a flat mook mini-boss, more bad dialogue between Emilio and Shun, and nothing of import happening whatsoever. Why was this even here? To set up the special squad of baddies the main villain has? Again, why not do this in a way that actually makes this feel important?

Damn it, this was such a flat and frustrating first episode. I still have hopes for this series - a bromance-centered Fantasy show still seems appealing to me, doubly so because it's a 24 episoder. That's a lot of character development and bromance you can cram in, if you know what you're doing... but well, first they need to figure out how to do scene-to-scene progression in the next episode. Then we'll see what happens, right?

TLDR; 3/5 stars, with an arrow down. Poor pacing, bad dialogue, flat characters, shit scene-to-scene progression, rushed as all hell, needs to set itself up way better than its doing, but I have hope that it gets better in the coming episodes. There's still promise, it just needs to fix how it goes about directing the plot and characters better.
Who I want to be: Ogiue from Genshiken.
Who I really am: Tsukimi from Kuragehime.

[RAISE YOUR FLAG! intensifies]
Apr 3, 2016 8:31 AM

May 2010
Luna Sea. Much Kokoro. Wow.

Rootz said:
I couldn't keep myself watching, so I stopped after 10 minutes or so OP.
Apr 3, 2016 8:53 AM

Apr 2015
That was awful. Definitely not going to watch. Such a generic shounen.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Apr 3, 2016 8:55 AM

Mar 2013
Can we have a series about that usurper king instead?
Apr 3, 2016 9:41 AM

Jun 2013
the OP and ED are meh it wasn't that interesting but then agin it's just the first episode
Apr 3, 2016 10:20 AM

Jul 2015
Nothing special that we haven't seen before, but it is still to early to judge. Gonna give it a shot.

Apr 3, 2016 10:43 AM

Dec 2012
That was super boring. If it doesn't turn gay I'm dropping it.

tingy said:

Oh my god that's literally my first thought when I first saw the dude. You're the best comment here.
Apr 3, 2016 11:22 AM
Mar 2014
i can already see the yaoi shippers
Apr 3, 2016 11:27 AM
Mar 2016
I hope there is no yaoi in this anime.
Apr 3, 2016 12:31 PM

Sep 2012
I just came here to confirm that I'm not the only one who thought of Leomon when the lion-beast showed up XD

Overall looks like pretty average series but I'll stick with it and who knows what they might put in there later on.
Apr 3, 2016 3:35 PM

Nov 2015
It was kinda rushed and this will be 2 cours... I can't wait to see how will it go.

But overall alright episode, the crystal thing made me think of Comet Lucifer.

Apr 3, 2016 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
This looks promising
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2016 4:46 PM

Oct 2011
I hope they don't have to kill one another in the end
Apr 3, 2016 5:36 PM

Oct 2014
I can't be the only one who thought that this episode looked horrendous. I mean, did you see that opening? Two dudes blasting eachother with lazers has never looked that robotic and uncomfortable.
Anyway, it was generic shit. Dropped.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 3, 2016 5:44 PM

Oct 2015
where to start ... The design of characters and costumes seemed very simple like music. Weapons design is strange. I found something farfetched that the world of Emilio this within a gem but also makes it interesting. I liked mobile phones, and the series looks promising but not very innovative. Pd: Leomon got temporary work.
I am Argentine, so is not very good my English, sorry for the many typing errors.

Apr 3, 2016 8:12 PM

Jul 2012
honestly, not bad so far. main two seiyuus doing a fab job.
Apr 3, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2008
aureate-chan said:
people taking weapons from their/each other's hearts or souls or something?
hmmmm, where have i seen that before?

come on, even the protagonist's name is similar.

The same gimmick also appears in Shining Tears X Wind. Everything about this show just looks like generic shounen crap, topped off with an extra serving of bromance enough to make you cringe...but I'll give it a few more episodes to wait if it starts to suck less.
Apr 3, 2016 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty Ghey .......
Apr 3, 2016 10:27 PM
Aug 2015
The singer of the op sounds like he's going through puberty while singing... not my cup of tea.

Am I the only one who actually cares about Shun's family or whatever? Kind of felt bad at the part where the mom was just sitting there with the food all prepared and the dad still isn't home.
Apr 3, 2016 11:52 PM

Jul 2010
It was an incredibly bland first episode, don't think I'll continue watching this.

lucidbrandon said:
Please dont be another comet lucifer. The rock shit still scares me.

Lol. When I saw the rock I was thinking that it's going to pull another Comet Lucifer. XD
Apr 4, 2016 12:17 AM

Jul 2009
I don't know how to feel about this show.
Apr 4, 2016 12:31 AM

May 2012
How this is rated 6.34 ?!

I'm a little surprised because I thought it is one of the best 1st ep in this season
Apr 4, 2016 1:13 AM

Apr 2010
The beginning wasn't the most interesting in the world, but it can get better. Or worse. Let's hope for the first option.

I must say, the beginning with the shop reminded the never ending story.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Endride Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

39 by Craneface »»
Mar 19, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Endride Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2016

20 by Craneface »»
Mar 19, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Endride Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2016

41 by Craneface »»
Mar 19, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Endride Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

20 by Minakata_Hizuru »»
Dec 25, 2022 8:06 PM

Poll: » Endride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2016

53 by PhoenixEvolver »»
Aug 18, 2022 7:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.