Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 15, 2008 11:27 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fantastic movie. Though they stuck with the art from the anime and not the previous two movies, it still looked great.
A question though, so they never found out who exactly the Puppeteer is?
Oct 16, 2008 2:08 AM

Aug 2007
Considering that it's SAC universe and not film universe, they'd be mad not to use series art. GitS always was a benchmark in looking good, though, in all forms.

This is open to interpretation, but in my opinion,
Oct 23, 2008 6:35 AM
Mar 2008
Really liked it. But I got confused many times. :/
Jun 3, 2009 5:22 AM

Oct 2008
Brilliant movie. Awesome action, another intriguing plot, and watching this just made me love the GitS universe even more. I'm hoping for a third series now.
Aug 6, 2009 7:53 PM

Jun 2009
Watching this made me realize: GITS can do no wrong.

I love the ending with the tie in to the original movie.Time to watch the original.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2009 2:31 PM

Aug 2009
Great like all other GitS.Especialy interesting for me have been last scenes.Almost same as in first Ghost movie.10/10 without any hesitation.
Jan 22, 2010 12:15 PM

May 2009
As expected of GitS S.A.C. - The plot was great, complex and confusing just like the TV series.. xD
The music and animation was superb. Everything was awesome. My favorite part was when Togusa almost shot himself. I was basically holding my breath the entire scene. Oh, and yeah.... TACHIKOMA! :D

3rd GIG, where?!
stAtic91Jan 22, 2010 12:23 PM
Apr 16, 2010 8:59 PM

Apr 2009
stAtic91 said:
As expected of GitS S.A.C. - The plot was great, complex and confusing just like the TV series.. xD
The music and animation was superb. Everything was awesome. My favorite part was when Togusa almost shot himself. I was basically holding my breath the entire scene. Oh, and yeah.... TACHIKOMA! :D

3rd GIG, where?!

My reaction to that Togusa scene was exactly two screams: "OH SHIT!" and "FUCK YEAH!"

In the middle of the night of course!
Sep 25, 2010 8:46 PM

Sep 2009
Great movie. I really love this type of universe and this style of anime too. A nice change from the norm.
Dec 1, 2010 4:23 PM

Mar 2010
Yeah great movie... but to bad, the puppeteer was not caught... i wonder who was behind all those incident?? hurmmmm
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Dec 19, 2010 4:54 AM

Oct 2009
Great movie! GitS never disappoint and FUCK YEAH Tachikoma's are ALIVE! ( But how? O.o)
But who exactly is the Puppeteer?

Would be awesome if there was another season :| but if that likely to mess it up then no thanks :\
Jan 23, 2011 1:58 PM

Dec 2008
I loved it but I'm a bit confused. When the guy Motoko was talking to said something about her subconsience it made it seem like it was in fact the collective old people and motoko's subconsience that was the pupeteer. Especially when he walked off in one of her bodies that looked the same as the guy he was controlling. And then in the end motoko and batou say they don't know who it is. I'm a little confused.

Its a shame this movie has so little discussion in the forums...
May 12, 2011 1:44 PM

May 2010
I lost track half way through the movie

The only winning points were

1. Motoko's screentime
2. Tachikoma
3. Togusa's daughter
4. Replica (OST), which only lasted 5 minutes
5. A few references to original movie

I thought Batou was going to touch Motoko's bum at the end lol

Anyone saw Kuze when Motoko was hooked up with the dead guy?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 30, 2011 2:08 AM

Nov 2010
Seeing the Tachikoma's back again was nice and all, but it really marginalizes them as a “character”. What they did in 2nd Gig seems all the less awesome now.

As for the movie itself, I expected more. Sure, within the Gits universe presenting some things vaguely and leaving questions unanswered is standard operating procedure, but for Solid State Society specifically it just seems to come off in a different manner. I can't place my finger on it, but things seem rushed and the writing is just not as tight as I would normally expect from the franchise.
Humour is the very essence of a democratic society.
Jun 14, 2011 12:54 AM

Sep 2009
God damn Tatchikomas.

The little buggers are always going to be back.
I like that aspect of them..even though they make ultimate sacrifices...they are still artificial intelligences.
There is always going to be some kind of trace element of them around. Something to rebuild themselves.
Oct 2, 2011 8:26 PM

Aug 2011
I finished rewatching SSS just now. I'm not sure why I rewatched it. Maybe I have missed the Major so much since I finished watching SSS. In fact, I was going to rewatch the whole series, but I ended up watching the last one only.

Loved it as always. Loved soundtracks as always. The plot is interesting yet I'm a bit confused. Some questions left unanswered, but it's okay.

The Major for the win! <3
Nov 9, 2011 7:28 AM

Aug 2011
So I'm not the only one got confused? lol

Need a re-watch after I finished 26 * 2 TV series.

I too thought Batou's gonna touch Motoko's bum in the ending scene. lol
Jan 22, 2012 8:44 PM
Nov 2011
For the people who are saying that the Tachikomas coming back is kinda lame, think about it this way. The Ship of Theseus philosophy is prevalent throughout this anime and this was probably just another allusion to that. To be rebuilt from some part of the original.
Mar 15, 2012 8:55 AM
Nov 2011
Another great achievement, though I do think this case was nothing compared to the Laughing Man and Indidvidual Eleven. Hell, they were both something on their own. Also, Puppeteer is a nice name.
Mar 19, 2012 12:19 AM

Aug 2010
Very good movie. It didn't really stood out as much as The Laughing Man/Individual Eleven cases but it was still good nevertheless.

The ending leaves you thinking. Motoko was the Puppeteer all along, wasn't she? Even if it were her subconscious.
SkyMar 19, 2012 12:22 AM
Jul 27, 2012 2:41 PM

Sep 2010
So Motoko was the Puppeteer? Or was she, was that last part only a illusion by that guy?

Anyway a very good movie, like any other GITS....

8/10
Sep 15, 2012 8:19 PM

Jul 2009
Seems like Tachikoma is back -- all the green boring think tanks needed were just a little love from Mokoto. She's the secret sauce to the Tachikoma

A shame that Mokoto wasn't truly the villain. Well, what they did does let a possibility of having a 3rd season of GITS.
Oct 30, 2012 6:10 PM

May 2012
Was confused a little but still a great movie.. I definitely like Togusa and his daughter scene in the hospital...
Dec 26, 2012 3:21 PM

Jan 2012
It was a really good movie. Always nice to see more of ghost in the shell. I'm glad Major is back.

Jan 3, 2013 5:05 PM

Nov 2011
Being too long, Batoto and Major. Dem reunions.

Nice to see the Puppeteer case being explored this movie and apparently what he tries to show the experience of what those missing kids went through.

"My ghost will whisper".

Overall, 8/10 on this film.
Jan 21, 2013 4:05 PM

Jul 2009
why not alot of comments O______O

actually i've watched this movie last january 2012

the opening is amazing as always.

definitely keeps the pace going :)

love another reference they did with the first film(which they also did in the first episode of 2nd GiG) when Major jump off the rain and vanished(Stealth) into the darkness.

it seems Prime Minister is being stubborn as always, surprisingly she didn't have a lot of screen time this time around

the battle in the hospital is soo good!!

Major appearing to Batou after 2 years, never changed huh??

Major pulled a fast one when she stole Batou's car keys XD

same taste no? :P

Section 9 is the same as always with more people :)

Togusa as leader after Major's disappearance, why am i not surprise??

and wow the Puppeteer's hacking skills are beyond godlike!

making Section 9 to power loss to avoid being hack?

only The Laughing Man i know can do it.

that Colonel Tonoda guy, he said Tsujisaki owes him with all of the years he raised him, and since he said before Aramaki left that he's glad he raised Aramaki and didn't turn out like him.

so Aramaki is indeed Tsujisaki!

the sniper battle between Saito and Raj Puhto is sooo fucking good!!!

never doubt with your skills Saito!!!

another fun part is when Major met the scar face with glasses on top of the building, she dyed her hair to look like Kuze :P

so awesome!!

and wow when Togusa's brain was hacked and her daughter was about to be brainwashed, such an intense scene!!!

i thought he was gonna die for sure!

it's a good thing Major was there in the last minute.

Max and Musashi!

i agree with Togusa, don't retier and leaver e

Major is back at Section 9!!!

glad they used the OST of the first SAC, when the operation is about to commence.

the tachikoma's are back as well!!!

guess they really did survived along, memory intact :)

lol the Mercenaries where no match for Section 9 give it up!

the doll soldiers were clueless!

guess there's only so much you can do with dolls.

Munei is such a bastard, abusing the system for his gains.

he can't even tell if the system has any loop holes and such.

so Munei wanted to prevent the collapse of japan.

declining brith rates, aging population, unemployment growing, chldren abuse, death rates of child increasing and old people not paying taxes and all.

still using all those Tax money for himself is fucking greedy

Puppeteer wanted to fix that due to how broken japan's system is. though he wanted to save the children from being killed due to this system.

thus the Solid System was created to destroy the old japan system.

when Puppeteer revealed how he/she knew Major he said the following lines.

"We've synchronized with countless consciousness over the years"

"It shouldn't come as a huge surprise that your deep collective subconscious came to life"

Major said before they raided the hospital to Aramaki who the Puppeteer is.

she said

"My Ghost will whisper it to me."

so it 's strongly suggested that the Puppeteer is Motoko's Ghost.

she even look surprised when she saw herself at the end of the shape shifting.

and oh for those who wonder why the Puppeteer can do that, it's probably because since Major is connected to him/her, he/she hack her vision and is trying to break her down.

seeing Kuze after all those years, man i miss him as well :

Tateaki Koshiki was the man who designed the system, and while Munei started the project, Koshiki put a loop hole to the system seeing how greedy Munei is.

despite his hard works, since he isn't the type of person who stood out well so he was forgotten like the old people.

i can see why the Puppeteer has taken his persona into action.

he is like those old people, will die and be forgotten as time moves on.

and while the "Koshiki" we saw is just a doll, i still think Puppeteer is Motko's "Ghost"

i mean she left Section 9, 2 years ago, and that's when Koshiki died.

i think Motoko wanted to left Section 9 because she probably wanted to experience other things like truth, friendship, love.

the thing is that she already has all of those in Section 9.

and lol when Batou ask if she will continue "conducting investigation chosen by personal deduction"

they're the same words when she said to Batou herself XD

glad she had her fill enough.

the net is truly vast and infinite, since a new society could be born as we speak.

then 3rd GiG!?!?!

Welcome Back Major!!!!!!!!!

i love the movie, despite watching this after a year now, i still remember pretty much 95% of the movie.

amazing huh??

one of the best films in anime history, i definitely prefer Stand Alone Complex to the original film series.

with a new Ghost in The Shell series announced, it's a shame it's not 3rd GiG and being directed by Kamiyama, Kenji.

that guy needs to direct more!!!

love his references in other books(especially Cather in the Rye in the first season)

oh well, since Tow Ubukata is writing it(Mardock Scramble and Chaos Legion PS2 game)

i have good hopes for this.

im just scared they would replace the voice cast like what other anime's did like Blood+ - Blood C(which is understandable)

still would prefer 3rd GiG ._____.

amazing stuff, definitely a 10/10, man i miss anime's like this!!!

gonna watch this for the 3rd time in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society 3D(but viewed in 2D)

also known as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society: Another Dimension!

it has a new opening and much more high resolution.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10090/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex_-_Solid_State_Society_3D

can't wait to watch it again!!

we need more of this type of anime!!!!!!

Major FTW!!!!!!
Feb 7, 2013 10:16 PM

Aug 2008
Any explanation how did Tachikoma survive?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 8, 2013 1:36 AM

Oct 2009
Zapredon said:

In the last episode of 2nd Gig when the Tachikoma are singing and just about to crash their satellite into the Missile you can see this Tachikoma

He's uploading the Tachikoma's memories into the space on the net that Motoko asked them to free up for the refugees.

Motoko finds their memories afterwards and uses them as AI support, when she joins Section 9 again they get their bodies back since they were never physically destroyed.
TopgunUKFeb 8, 2013 1:39 AM
Feb 17, 2013 12:11 PM

May 2012
Quite an epic movie, nice action and not so boring as the actual series! It was epic to see the major being suspected and than to see the Tachikoma again was just brilliant to it :D

Was quite an interesting ending, well as far as the series goes it wasn't bad still a bit open and there isn't really a good plot to the whole series although it has his style and it gets its great name by it! 7/10
May 21, 2013 11:32 AM

May 2010
After watching this for atleast the third time the solid state society is like a jab at Apple inc. Thats what a personnally felt.
Jun 10, 2013 7:46 AM

Mar 2010
very good movie,the plot was great and the ending was pretty awesome and tachikoma's <3
ShinryukenJun 10, 2013 7:50 AM
Jun 14, 2013 4:54 PM

Apr 2013
Excellent movie! But any speculation on who the Puppeteer is? What is that mysterious green-lit room with those people in capsules?
Powerful eyebrows.
Sep 28, 2013 6:19 PM
Sep 2013
migohunter said:
Excellent movie! But any speculation on who the Puppeteer is? What is that mysterious green-lit room with those people in capsules?

It's the room where the Major brings her remote controlled body (Chroma) after she gets the virus in the beginning. On the way to there she meets the Puppeteer's body. And when you see the Puppeteer there in the end you can see Chroma in the back.

What's not 100% certain is if it's part of her house or something public.

What has been bugging me alot is: Why does the Puppeteer give Togusa the choice to kill himself? It just makes no sense.
Jan 29, 2014 8:18 PM

Aug 2013
The action scene were really well done. When Saito shooted that other guy, it was really boss. Also, when Paz told that cyborg guy from the medical center ''If I told you, I would have to kill you'', it was so hilarious xD

It was so good to know that the old tachikoma were still ''alive''. So she stocked their memory in her ghost? That our Major right there.

God, when Togusa ''shot himself'', I nearly fainted... I totally forgot that the Major was following him xD

The Puppeteer motive was really interresting. Even if I don't adher to his methode, at first, stealing children and removing their memories can seem evil, but what that politician was doing was even more evil. To keep children against their will and turn them into a giant virtual factory, that some mad evil right there. At least, the Puppeteer was trying to save the children while helping the old people that were dying alone.

KeinBaum said:
What has been bugging me alot is: Why does the Puppeteer give Togusa the choice to kill himself? It just makes no sense.

I think that it's because of the Puppeteer motive. He was stealing children to save them from abusive family, but Togusa little girl wasn't a children at risk. He wanted to slow down the Section 9 so I guess he predicted that Togusa would kill himself rather than let his child get kidnapped and since she wasn't a maltreated children, he had no interrest in kidnapping her. Anyway, that's my opinion.
minouneetzoeJan 29, 2014 8:24 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 5, 2014 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
What a fantastic movie. It's been such a long time since I've seen the Major, Batou, Togusa, etc in action. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the Stand Alone Complex series. This movie kept up the tradition of greatness that the two anime seasons set forth. The ending had me confused, but upon a rewatch I believe it's left open to ones own interpretation. That being said here's mine:

A bit silly, but that's my theory.
May 23, 2014 7:26 AM

Aug 2007
What a fantastic movie. I just finished watching 2nd GiG so this flowed exceptionally well into it. Lots of continued themes from the finale of that season. The Major's discontent with the direction Section 9 was headed made a good red herring for painting her as the Puppeteer. In a way, I do think she was part of the subconscious that comprises the Puppeteer. The sequence in the end where the man she killed's face changes to all the people she's know--not to mention it lingering on Kuze in particular--somewhat nailed that in for me. As always, this show requires your full attention and knocks your socks off with the ~deep~ and suspense (omg Togusa made my heart stop!!).

I'm gonna miss this cast. :(
Oct 1, 2014 3:03 PM

Jan 2014
Hmmm,.. I actually didn't like this movie at all, compared to other GitS releases at least. It was well executed as usual, but the overall feeling I got was just that it was "unecessary". The story felt too much as a repetition, and some elements were clearly added as "happiness fan service". I mean come on, everyone (myself included) wanted to see the Tachikoma's back, then there was Aramaki explicitly stating he won't ever get married, while he's clearly gotten even closer with Kayabuki, who miraculously has not be ousted from office, and of course Batou almost grabbing Motoko's butt. It was fun, but all a bit too obvious.

What I did like though were all the homages to previous GitS releases: Batou with short hair, Batou stating that they always work with him buying time for the Major to get the job done (this was the other way around in Innocence), and of course the Major's notion that the net is "vast and infinite".

I guess I can appreciate Solid State Society as that: a kind of anniversary cellebration and happy tie up of SAC's 2nd season, but as a stand alone (pardon the pun) GitS release I find it to be mediocre at best.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 16, 2014 2:57 AM

Jan 2013
Well Gits sure never disappoints me.
Great job as always. The fact that the puppeteer was never known was such a tease.
Anyways, a weak 8/10.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 19, 2015 7:14 AM

Nov 2013
Haha, that ending. I felt the film was maybe a tad too long, but it was pretty enjoyable. Serious "NOO" moment when Togusa was putting the gun to his head, but I think the soundtrack at the time kinda made me feel like it wasn't going to happen anyway.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 14, 2015 4:25 PM

Apr 2013
So after looking around a bit because of the new Arise series I found out I never had watched this movie, even though I had watched the rest of GitS a few years ago.

It was pretty decent I think, the plot as complex as ever. And holy shit, that Togusa moment was tense^^

And good seeing the Tachikomas and the old character designs again (don't like those of Arise too much...)!
Jul 8, 2015 7:25 PM
Apr 2013
I absolutely love gits sac cast, great movie
Aug 14, 2015 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Obvious references to the first GitS movie. Themes that should not be unfamiliar to cyberpunk watchers/readers. Fanservice for SAC fans, I guess.
Sep 28, 2015 7:17 PM
Jun 2013
Am I the only who thinks the Laughing man was involved in this???
Jan 9, 2016 11:24 PM
Apr 2012
9/10

no entendi por que motoko no se dio cuenta de que uno de sus cuerpos estaba actuando solo... en 2 años!!

Jan 19, 2016 3:49 AM

Jan 2016
Great movie really good story even sometimes difficult to follow and still open questions.

That the laughin man could be the puppeteer was one of my opinions too. would have been cool as I wanted him to join sector 9

It is kinda self-administered justice to kidnap the kids but he only took the ones which have been abused by their parents so this would fit to the ideals of the laughin man
But I don't think the laughin man would do this to Togusa and his daughter...
Apr 13, 2016 2:44 AM
Oct 2015
Great movie!! So this is the sequel of GITS movie 1 and GITS 2 Innocence? and also a continuation of SAC universe? I miss the Tachikomas, they are better than those Uchikomas that don't have human emotion, well nice to see them again in care of the Major, and they are so adorable as always :) . I knew it that the Major were there to rescue Togusa, it's obvious :). That scene at the near end reminds me of the first movie, the last scene where the Major is connected to "The Puppetmaster" and Batou can't move and was controlled by the "The Puppetmaster". Nice to see Major is back at Section 9 hopping there's more GITS SAC to come, love the series.
Apr 13, 2016 10:13 AM

Oct 2009
lilmin said:
Great movie!! So this is the sequel of GITS movie 1 and GITS 2 Innocence? and also a continuation of SAC universe? I miss the Tachikomas, they are better than those Uchikomas that don't have human emotion, well nice to see them again in care of the Major, and they are so adorable as always :) . I knew it that the Major were there to rescue Togusa, it's obvious :). That scene at the near end reminds me of the first movie, the last scene where the Major is connected to "The Puppetmaster" and Batou can't move and was controlled by the "The Puppetmaster". Nice to see Major is back at Section 9 hopping there's more GITS SAC to come, love the series.

It is a sequel to Stand Alone Complex, but not the Oshii movies.
Apr 13, 2016 3:42 PM
Oct 2015
TopgunUK said:
lilmin said:

TopgunUK said:
lilmin said:

But the ending of the movie 1 and innocence was related to the major disappearance specially innocence where the Major help Batou at the last mission.
Apr 13, 2016 3:45 PM
Oct 2015
TopgunUK said:
Zapredon said:

In the last episode of 2nd Gig when the Tachikoma are singing and just about to crash their satellite into the Missile you can see this Tachikoma

He's uploading the Tachikoma's memories into the space on the net that Motoko asked them to free up for the refugees.

Motoko finds their memories afterwards and uses them as AI support, when she joins Section 9 again they get their bodies back since they were never physically destroyed.
TopgunUK said:
Zapredon said:

Thanks for the explanation for the Tachikomas memory saving, the truth is I didn't know that either :)
Apr 13, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2009
lilmin said:
TopgunUK said:

TopgunUK said:

But the ending of the movie 1 and innocence was related to the major disappearance specially innocence where the Major help Batou at the last mission.

Stand Alone Complex was made from the start as an alternative universe where the Major never encountered the Puppet Master (meaning Project 2501 from the Manga/Oshii movies). There are tons of other differences like the lack of Section 9 think tanks in Oshii's movies, missing team members, character designs, personalities, completely mismatched dates, different adaptations of the same scenes from the Manga.

At the end of 2nd Gig The Major suddenly leaves Section 9. That's why she wasn't on the team at the start of this movie.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why is it tagged as special and not movie?

PxHC - Feb 16, 2016

3 by PxHC »»
Feb 17, 2016 10:24 AM

» Do bluetooth neckbands remind you of Ghost in the Shell?

Arwen17 - Jan 13, 2014

4 by ExTemplar »»
Mar 16, 2015 4:53 PM

Poll: » Now out on DVD in North America

Blazingluke - Jul 15, 2007

2 by kickass331 »»
Nov 24, 2007 11:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.