Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 3, 2016 4:33 AM

Jul 2008
Man I loved this series, I need to rewatch it more often.

Chinese Batman indeed.
May 6, 2016 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
I'm here seeing everyone said he's Batman lol xD
Dat eyes though.. So dark
"Signature removed"
May 19, 2016 6:38 AM

Feb 2016
the animation is pretty good for a series that has been aired back in the year 2007. the whole setup in this first episode highlights the fact that this is an mystery anime. with that being said it's important to mention that a mystery anime often uses metaphors, symbolic meanings and so on. even a special facial expression could be meaningful to the series in general. so the question is did we get anything like this in this first episode ? well, i'd say yes. if you pay closer attention to the guy named li you will realize that he's been using a neutral facial expression all the time except the moment when that girl walked away after they met each other. his expression went together with the tone of this episode to a 'darker mood'.

also the day and night concept has been used in this. when ordinary events where happening it was day and in return when something gloomy was going on like for example the woman's abduction or the meeting between the black reaper and the guy with the gravitational nullification ability, it was night.

all in all a solid first introduction for this anime.

Jun 21, 2016 6:25 AM

Nov 2015

Ok, this anime has some mysterious and suspense feeling that I like (a lot) and the soundtrack is very nice, calm, classy, and good for the scenes.

What are the Contractors? What is that price they have to pay for using them? How is that the MC already made out with the girl? xD

Anyway, first episode and I already know I'm gonna like this series. I like suspense, drama, mystery and episodes that leave you with many questions!

PD: FVCK!!!! I realized that the version I downloaded doesn't have any OP and ED! T_T I'll have to re-download everything again... Why would people do this to anyone?
HumbertoZeroJun 21, 2016 6:29 AM
Jul 15, 2016 9:27 PM
Feb 2016
Loserkid said:
Wow.

Um, that was a really fantastic and badassed first episode. Seriously. Normally I watch a first episode of something and go "meh. it's okay. let's see if it gets any better." This is the first time I've ever reallyreallyreallyreally loved the first episode of anything. :D
this is so late but same here man, I almost gave up looking for new Anime to watch. Tired of getting past the first few episodes cause of a "slow start" and then still not enjoying it
Jul 15, 2016 9:28 PM
Feb 2016
HDarkmantis said:

Ok, this anime has some mysterious and suspense feeling that I like (a lot) and the soundtrack is very nice, calm, classy, and good for the scenes.

What are the Contractors? What is that price they have to pay for using them? How is that the MC already made out with the girl? xD

Anyway, first episode and I already know I'm gonna like this series. I like suspense, drama, mystery and episodes that leave you with many questions!

PD: FVCK!!!! I realized that the version I downloaded doesn't have any OP and ED! T_T I'll have to re-download everything again... Why would people do this to anyone?
I don't think it has an opening or ending for the first episode- I'm watching it on KissAnime
Jul 16, 2016 8:29 AM

Nov 2015
Huiiboy said:
I don't think it has an opening or ending for the first episode- I'm watching it on KissAnime

To that time, any of my episodes had OP or ED. I could hear the moment they were cut out from the episode. I re-downloaded another version and they had OP and ED.
Jul 19, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2013
Really cool MC. I'm curious with what he has to pay tho.
Aug 9, 2016 10:28 PM

Sep 2013
Good first ep. I'm not hooked just yet, but I think I'll really get into it as I watch more.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 27, 2016 8:50 AM

Jun 2016
I dont know much about this show. But it was a decent episode.
Feb 1, 2017 2:42 PM

Jun 2016
this series looks good, gonna watch more.
Feb 14, 2017 4:08 AM

Jul 2012
You wont be disappointed. MC is the closest thing to Batman as you can get in Anime.
Feb 26, 2017 4:02 AM

Apr 2011
Within the first 15 minutes, I just had this feeling... 'Did Yoko Kanno create the music for this?' And of course she did. :)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Apr 21, 2017 12:16 PM

Feb 2015
I don't get why the guy is so concerned about helping out this woman who is continuously in trouble.
Jun 25, 2017 3:26 PM

May 2010
Decent first ep, that main guy looks is quite obviously faking @_@ I wonder what he is planning to do with the girl, for some reason I doubt he has any good intentions...
Apr 7, 2018 9:28 AM

Sep 2017
Good episode and I like that lady in the police agency. Also a kiss this quick is unexpected. Well, I have a feeling that contractors are people with magical powers who are obligated to do something painful in order to counteract for their abuse of magical powers. BTW, what did the lady scientist mean when she asked the police whether they were a couple?

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 29, 2018 11:43 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode with a great soundtrack. The main guy is badass too. He's interesting. Can't wait to watch more episodes.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Nov 6, 2018 2:28 AM

Feb 2015
Nice start...great OP, interesting storyline, nice animation. And Yoko Konno ftw! Looking forward to continuing.

Feb 5, 2019 1:41 PM

May 2013
Hm. I like it so far. The setting gives me a Durarara vibe X) dark, rainy city type :)

Very dramatic first ep. Seems it's love at first sight for those two apt neighbors lol
May 24, 2020 9:31 PM

Jul 2016
This looks interesting! i remember watching one or two episodes like 3 years ago and decided to finish it now. This will be fun ^^
Aug 28, 2020 12:00 PM
Apr 2016
An interesting first episode for sure! Hei in particular, is a very interesting character so far.
Dec 26, 2020 10:04 AM

Sep 2017
So from what I can gather,
There was a mysterious girl in the lake doing some higurashi kinda posing in the middle of nowhere.

There is a walled city(Hells gate) and contractors are born from fake stars in the sky linked with each of them. Each contractor has to do some ridiculous shit, presumably to maintain their power.
Louis can lock gravity for some reason and has to break his fingers to compensate.

The apparating guy has to arrange shitty stones in a square formation.

The Li guy is obviously the guy who killed Louie and the mystery contractor.

There is some team of contractors and 'dolls' who have different personalities inserted into them or some shit.

Guessing by the powers and synchotron radiation,I am guessing this has something to do with the big bang radiation or some particle physics bullshit.

Well, I am a schadenfreude by nature, so I am gonna watch this shit just to see the contractors ridiculous rituals.

Gives me banana to nana vibes.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 27, 2020 3:48 AM

Jul 2017
Rewatching Darker than BLACK and I have to say, while it ain't no Black Lagoon when it comes to impactful and badass premieres, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit and I actually like how it took little time to really get into the serious shit happening in the world there.

The visuals look really clean and really good, especially the animation during chases or fights. Lighting works really well for the show too, especially at night the city looks great. All of this is complemented by a promising, catchy and fitting Yoko Kanno soundtrack that works with the atmosphere of the show superbly. She's probably my favorite anime composer after the masterpiece she created with the Stand Alone Complex soundtracks along with nailing a few other anime soundtracks too, and this did not disappoint.

Love the OP and EDs too. Good music, simple but nice visuals to work with both too. Overall, while not a 10/10 as a start, it's a pretty good one that's got me interested in the exact workings of Contractors in a world like this and how thematically and mentally they contrast in comparison to regular people beyond just the abilities that they got in exchange for something.
Feb 7, 2021 6:47 AM
Oct 2019
Count me in. That was kind of fun

Dolls, contractors, spectres. Gates and walls. I understand very little of it so far, but I'm intrigued. I guess the telescope guy is a contractor himself? And the black cat is a...spectre? Neat seeing the wall going up, but I guess I don't understand why it's needed. I also assumed the sky was still real, but apparently not?

7/10 so far since it has me interested
Jun 25, 2021 4:34 AM

Jan 2020
Chinese batman, lol...indeed

I didn't expect there will be superpower in this show
Jul 7, 2021 11:05 AM

Mar 2019
Interesting first episode. I'm confused as to how that wall came to be, was it built by humans or by a mysterious force? Nice opening as well.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 24, 2021 7:59 PM

Aug 2018
I wonder what she stole...

Feb 28, 2023 5:48 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting start, a big wall appearing 10 years ago, people having abilities.
A great way to set up a lot of mystery to unfold.

This series has been in my PTW for the longest time (10 years I think?), finally getting around to watching it.
Apr 15, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2021
this anime has been on my Plan To Watch list for quite a while now, but after seeing Darker Than Black reference in Durarara I finally decided to give this anime a try.
Jul 15, 2023 2:22 AM

Jan 2021
I was originally wondering who Li was but then I saw the preview for the next episode and... it seems that he's the same person as the one wearing the white mask at the beginning? If it's him then that answers why he didn't die when he fell onto the train tracks. And those eyes, you know.. filled with emptiness.

Btw, I think it's cool that the lady can run fast while wearing high heels.

Jul 27, 2023 2:29 AM

Apr 2013
Lots of coincidences in the first episode, hopefully they will all be made clear later on.
Sep 13, 2023 6:22 PM
Nov 2022
Tremendo anime, no parece ser un anime de comedia infantil, por lo tanto, comprare unos antidepresivos por si acaso.
Nov 4, 2023 9:49 PM

Sep 2023
Nice visuals for 2007, surprisingly. And I enjoyed both the OP and ED songs.
Dec 6, 2023 1:12 PM
Jun 2022
Op Is Dope , Will See About The Rest Of It Soon.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.