Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 12, 2009 2:30 AM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, could Ed be actually dead this time? It's a lot more possible in this series due to its love of killing off main characters.

Only 1 episode and the film left :O

Jul 13, 2009 1:19 PM

Feb 2009
exactly my thoughts...

i don't want it to be over! the series or ed's life!!!!! DX DX DX DX DX DX DX DX DX DX
I want your soul... so please, click.
Jul 18, 2009 11:35 PM

Dec 2008
oh ed. he came back just so that he could get killed. what a shame.
Jul 23, 2009 11:00 AM

Jan 2009
it was so funny when he said that Roy Mustang's face is the easiest to punch =))
but i really don't want Ed to be dead. hope he'll come back somehow :-?...

Nov 10, 2009 5:34 AM

Oct 2009
the world beyond the gate is like the normal world with wars everywhere.
So does that mean that in that story our world become the source of alchemy ?
sigh.

Sep 16, 2010 7:06 AM

Jun 2009
wft i didnt see that coming
Oct 7, 2010 8:46 PM

Jun 2009
ED NOOOOooooooo! :'(

May 25, 2011 9:16 AM

Dec 2010
It's almost as Ed's life was the price for us to watch this dramatic story till' the very end. NO-O-O-O-O-O!
May 26, 2011 9:55 PM

Jul 2010
he should have asked to keep roy's face on longer, lol
last episode, lets do it!!

Jun 9, 2011 2:06 PM
May 2011
HAHA MUSTANG'S FACE

Ed coming back as a Homunculus?
Dec 7, 2011 10:07 AM
Feb 2010
I was shocked by what happened to Ed at the end of this episode, but I wasn't sad. I was almost in tears when I thought Al was going to go back before Scar died.
Sep 8, 2012 6:13 AM

May 2012
The fuck so the other side of the gate is actually the earth O_O that was unexpected!
But damn that scene with Ed and the zeppelin was fucked, good that he made it back to the other world again!

But fuck that ending did Ed really die O_O can't be right? Fucked up well up to the last episode :D
Oct 8, 2012 10:55 AM

Jul 2009
Boba_Fett said:
The fuck so the other side of the gate is actually the earth O_O that was unexpected!
But damn that scene with Ed and the zeppelin was fucked, good that he made it back to the other world again!

But fuck that ending did Ed really die O_O can't be right? Fucked up well up to the last episode :D

not really earth but another dimension where alchemy doesn't exist.

so this ed from this world died and Ed from the Alchemy world came back from the gate.

guess to pass on a gate you have to die, i think the reason he didn't permanently died is because he used the other Ed as a compensation.

i agree with Hohenheim that you don't need to pay a price for everything like loving your children and such.

so Hohenheim will die in a world without his children or his love one.

pretty sad and depressing way to die.

wow Roy getting beat up by that General O___O

i smirk a little when Ed was beating envy and when he turn into Roy Mustang, he said he'll enjoy beating the shit out of him.

so Hohenheim's first child was actually Envy??

i wonder if he has multiple children or is it only Ed, Al and Envy??

it was reveal that it was only Dante and Ed and Al's mother that he loved. so i don't think there's any besides the two.

also what is inside of that box??

the general's remains??

Ed don't die!!!!!!!!!! T_________T

only 1 episode left, how will they resolve this??
Aug 19, 2013 11:41 PM

May 2013
I like how Gluttony has a really strong attachment to Lust. I was hoping he was going to chomp Wrath to pieces once Ed told him that he killed Lust, but that didn't happen ;T Oh well.
Oct 19, 2013 12:57 AM
Sep 2013
what an awesome episode!

so, the source of alchemy is the world on the other side of the gate?
poor hohenheim will die alone.
And envy was ed and al`s half brother? didn`t see THAT coming.

"That`s the easiest face to punch!" LOL
too bad ed died - he was my fav character of the series.

how will all of this resolve? don`t know for now
Jan 31, 2014 4:56 PM

Jun 2012
i wonder if Ed really can be death i still can't believe he is that would just be a big pain for me if he really is.

wow that was some really clear message they where trying to sent to us a bit to clear.

i don't know anything else to say cause i really wanna watch the next episode so here i go
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
May 30, 2014 10:53 PM

Oct 2013
man, could be a nice twist for ed to die. realistic
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 28, 2014 6:43 PM

Oct 2013
So our world is their source of alchemy.. the twistsssss
Aug 7, 2014 5:39 AM

Jul 2013
I can't believe the deaths in the alternate world fuel their alchemy.

Ed can't be dead, that's so sad! I cried! ;______________;

Lol @ Roy's face being easiest to punch.
Sep 22, 2014 9:16 PM

Jan 2014
The truth lies beyond the gate.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 30, 2014 3:27 AM

Oct 2010
There's this thing I've always been wondering about...

If our lives here becomes the flow of energy for Alchemy Land, what do we gain, again?
Are we getting the losing hand on the phrase that "the universe does not always work on equivalent exchange"?

Personally I do like the parallel universe concept, but if we really wanna follow that theory, there should be a countless number of parallel universe, hence there shouldn't be only one gate inside everyone.

Sigh.. Ed getting stabbed made my heart bleed a little.
Dec 20, 2014 7:52 AM
Oct 2014
I don't want ed-kun to die
Dec 28, 2014 7:59 AM
May 2012
Holy shit at the end :O

I gotta eat first before I finish this~
Feb 15, 2015 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
The moment Churchill got mentioned in this anime... ruined it completely :(
Feb 17, 2015 3:03 AM

Jan 2014
Twist here, twist there, and breathtaking lines. I can't help but quote them myself o_o

"If it's childish to believe in this, so be it.
I'd rather be considered a child than follow
a doctrine of cynicism, chaos, apathy.
I thought I didn't care, Dad,
that I didn't need to believe in things.
But I was wrong."
Apr 12, 2015 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
I was seriously rewatching just for this episode. Envy's true face and the death of (both) Edwards. It's very cynical to think that the other Ed had to die so he could return. I like how alchemy balances out these various characters' philosophies and ideologies, using a fictional science to bring about very real concepts and ideas. Still the most memorable and shocking episode of FMA.
Jul 13, 2015 7:04 PM

May 2015
I don't and can't believe Ed died. There's no way. Last episode, it was a good run
Jul 14, 2015 5:08 PM

Nov 2014
EDWARD NOOOOO!!!! WHAT?!?!
And Envy is Ed and Al's brother?!?!

Also:

"Energy cannot be destroyed or created, only redirected"
That's something my mom always says...Using different words, but meaning the same thing...

*Envy turns into Mustang*
Ed: "I don't think you could have picked an easier target"
xD
Aug 3, 2015 6:44 PM

Aug 2015
The other side of the gate is our world?? /mindblown

I'm not surprised Envy is the homunculus of Ed and Al's brother. We already knew that Hohenheim created him, so it wasn't a far leap, especially considering Hohenheim and Dante were together at one point.

Ed surely can't be dead, at least not yet! But that was a serious wound to be sure...

★ 5/5
Nov 29, 2015 3:09 AM
Nov 2014
Woo, great cliffhanger.
Nov 29, 2015 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting episode, the last pieces find their place and the puzzle is complete (or so it seems), giving a logical and credible to all that has happened so far. The twists are interesting and the final despite not hitting a lot, it makes the situation still enjoyable to follow.
Feb 8, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2009
Envy and Wrath should've switched their names, I mean Envy hates everything, which makes "wrath" a more fitting name for him, while Wrath wants Edward's body, which makes "envy" a better word to describe him.

Anyway, this is the fourth time I'm re watching this show and I still enjoy it every time!
Mar 6, 2016 6:09 PM

Dec 2013
Roy's face is easy to punch LOL

Ed won't die but I'm curious how he will be saved.
Mar 25, 2016 10:04 PM

May 2014
The whole 'real' world on the other side of the gate has clearly been really divisive amongst viewers. My bro doesn't seem to like it very much, but I thought it was really cool. It seems to be tied in well enough, and serves to show the parallel that in our world it is technology, not alchemy, that can go too far and result in things like atomic bombs. Ed dying was unexpected too, I wonder if Al can heal him quickly using the stone? :( All's well that ends well, so please be good episode 51! Got my fingers crossed.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Mar 25, 2016 10:19 PM

Apr 2015
Phenomanan said:
The whole 'real' world on the other side of the gate has clearly been really divisive amongst viewers. My bro doesn't seem to like it very much, but I thought it was really cool. It seems to be tied in well enough, and serves to show the parallel that in our world it is technology, not alchemy, that can go too far and result in things like atomic bombs. Ed dying was unexpected too, I wonder if Al can heal him quickly using the stone? :( All's well that ends well, so please be good episode 51! Got my fingers crossed.

The real fitting parallel is that between the nation that Ed served and Nazi germany.
Mar 25, 2016 11:08 PM

May 2014
Tylaen said:
Phenomanan said:

The real fitting parallel is that between the nation that Ed served and Nazi germany.

I mean yeah, the leader of Amestris is called Fuhrer and he is a war mongering dictator lol, that parallel has been obvious from the beginning. Which is interesting because they chose to set the 'real' world in WWI instead of WWII, even though they showed atomic bombs. They might have messed up a bit there.
Mar 26, 2016 8:26 AM

Apr 2015
Phenomanan said:
Tylaen said:

I mean yeah, the leader of Amestris is called Fuhrer and he is a war mongering dictator lol, that parallel has been obvious from the beginning. Which is interesting because they chose to set the 'real' world in WWI instead of WWII, even though they showed atomic bombs. They might have messed up a bit there.

Where did they show atomic bombs..?
Mar 26, 2016 2:15 PM

May 2014
Tylaen said:
Phenomanan said:

Where did they show atomic bombs..?

Hohenheim said something to Ed like, "The deadliest weapon is yet to come, you saw it in the gate right?" or something like that. And then they showed the mushroom cloud on screen. It's around 7:30 into episode 50.
Feb 12, 2017 2:21 PM

Oct 2014
I don't get why Rose is so passive throughout all of this, is she really that stupid?
Feb 12, 2017 4:00 PM

Apr 2015
QuadFlatPack said:
I don't get why Rose is so passive throughout all of this, is she really that stupid?
More like, hypnotized and not all there.
Mar 27, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2014
I doubt ED died...this be a shounen!
May 30, 2017 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome knowing that the "alchemy" world is fueled by the deaths of a different reality, the one where mechanical technology has advanced more than alchemy.
So is the Fuhrer basically Hitler then? - Kinda effed up having to compare the similarities between the 2 realities then.
Nov 13, 2017 1:26 PM

Jul 2016
Holy shit, he's dead.

Wow

I totally didn't expect that, seriously, I didn't!

Next episode is the last one (+ the movie), can't wait!
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Apr 30, 2018 12:37 AM

Sep 2013
Ok, I can tell already. This ending is either going to be epic or it's gonna piss me off to no end.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 6, 2019 5:11 PM

Aug 2007
I love Havoc, omg.
"Why don't you stay here? I haven't perfected my Colonel Mustang impersonation."

Jun 22, 2019 7:09 AM

Jul 2016
Envy is so comical, but his backstory here is so good, better than just being some homunculus. What an ending that was.
Mar 1, 2020 2:41 PM

Feb 2020
what the frickity frack is going on in this show right now i have no idea what is happening and why it is happening and what any of it means and there is no way ed is dead??????????????????????????
Mar 23, 2020 12:37 PM

Nov 2009
Hohenheim is not a good person, he used to practice the same stuff Dante did, just because 300 years in he fell in love and tried to have a family doesn't mean he isn't just as much of an asshole, and he helped the brothers with the bare minimum, where the hell was this dude? Could have prevented a lot of stuff
May 2, 2020 11:31 AM

Nov 2017
*Knuckles the Echidna voice* Oh no!

Envy killed Ed! Well now you know why this episode is called Death, Edward dies two times.

If that was me seeing Envy's real face, I would've been like... instead of just lookin' like a dope and being left open to an attack. Mayne, I feel like Envy has to be the director's favourite character or something. How are there this many episodes and the antagonist hasn't gotten any type of comeuppance yet?
Jul 2, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2020
Still kinda disappointed with the whole parallel universe ending but it was an interesting twist with equivalent exchange being a lie and the people on the other side of the gate being the real source of alchemy. That gives Marcoh's "truth behind the truth" an entirely new meaning. And I only believe in Ed being dead after next episode. Something or should I say someone is surely gonna bring him back...

Gator said:
The moment Churchill got mentioned in this anime... ruined it completely :(
It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the story. Now I'm even more curious to finish Brotherhood and see how the real manga storyline went.

SomaHeir said:
also what is inside of that box??
the general's remains??
That's my guess as well. He even told his son that he entrusts his life with him when handing over the key.

DiabloMask said:
Envy and Wrath should've switched their names, I mean Envy hates everything, which makes "wrath" a more fitting name for him, while Wrath wants Edward's body, which makes "envy" a better word to describe him.
Absolutely agree for FMA 2003. But since the manga has a different story line, maybe their names are more fitting there.

QuadFlatPack said:
She's like a non-character to me. They apparently brought her back only to let her be a mute doll.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Dub or Sub?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 28

21 by cinnaroll_taetae »»
May 7, 6:12 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.