Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 12, 2015 8:27 PM
Apr 2015
You people have shite taste, not enough 4's and 5's. Only watching an anime for action, or least a psychological one like Evangelion, is stupid.
blackwatercitySep 12, 2015 8:31 PM
Nov 6, 2015 10:13 PM

Apr 2014
Was the episode attempting to say that primal desires such as love and acceptance are a result of our innate fear of emptiness? So... everyone uniting into a single mind somehow causes this void to just disappear? This episode was quite confusing and so has the direction of the plot.
Nov 7, 2015 10:47 AM

Jun 2011
ASUKA, STOP FREAKING CRYING ON YOUR KNEES SAYING MEAN THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF!!!!!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Nov 7, 2015 3:21 PM
Jul 2015
chumlum said:
if you dont like the final two episodes you basically wasted your time watching the previous episodes

and if you think about this episode only as "psychological babble" then what have you been doing during all the 23 previous ones? seems like half of you skipped everything except fighting scenes
Nov 22, 2015 11:41 AM

Feb 2013
I'm so confused lol.
Dec 7, 2015 12:29 PM

Oct 2012
Introspective episode for sure.
Interesting how the final scene with Shinji and the world he created had all of these characters speaking to him, even minor characters. Yet, Gendo didn't say one thing even though he did appear once.
Funnily enough, Kaworu didn't appear in Shinji's introspection as well, I wonder if that was intentional?

I don't know about this one, I'll probably have to rewatch it and analyze it again because there was a lot of information going on, especially in the 2nd part.

Also were Misato and Ritsuko killed? It sure seemed to imply that.
Dec 17, 2015 12:52 PM

Jan 2015
I love the psychological stuff but....what? Didn't understand a fuck.
Dec 18, 2015 12:00 AM

Jul 2014
...amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2015 8:12 AM

Jul 2013
Is this some kind of New Wave film? They just put all the confusing and worthless elements in as if they were trying to explain something.
What is this? What's happening? Is this Shinji's psychological struggle? Yeah yeah everyone's broken, so is it relevant to all the Angel stuffs and the destruction of the world?
Jan 3, 2016 6:17 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5

It's really interesting watching this with prior knowledge. Instrumentality has begun. All of the feelings experienced by the characters are nothing that haven't been hinted at throughout the series already.

I've loved this episode since I first saw the series. I can't help but wonder what the like/dislike age breakdown for this is...
Jan 29, 2016 5:13 PM

Jul 2013
I hate when I'm losing track of what's happening. Looks like I'm not the only one tho.
Feb 9, 2016 5:14 PM

Aug 2014
This is somehow confusing but it was a fun watch .
Feb 16, 2016 8:30 PM

Aug 2012
Mindless babling full of negativity. C'mon, as if I'm not negative enough IRL..
Apr 20, 2016 9:26 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
bruh
that was pretty confusing but interesting too.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 22, 2016 6:00 PM

Feb 2016
Ok that was quite confusing. I will have to do some researches after finishing Evangelion. I can llive with the idea of making a whole episode in one dark room and the MC's reflecting about their life and inner fears since this anime was all about the characters anyway. Now I'm asking myself if the whole story about the EVA's,ADAM, the angels etc. ever played a big role or was it just a buildup for something even bigger than this ? Obviously it has to be the Human Instrumentality Project.
SilentSword114Jul 22, 2016 6:04 PM
Aug 16, 2016 2:11 PM

Aug 2016
This episode was even more confusing then the previous one, hope next episode will provide some answers.
Oct 20, 2016 8:00 PM

May 2015
....wait. huh? what's happening
Nov 2, 2016 1:26 PM

Jun 2016
'You seek your value in the perception of others.' - Rei.

The whole series explores this interdependence of human beings with regard to constructing am identity for themselves through interaction with other people. All the characters yearn for appreciation of some sort in order to preserve their sense of self. I loved this episode! It is my absolute favorite.

Shinji, Misato, Asuka... all of their consciousness are revealed in depth and it just shows how we, all human beings, put on masks/an act for the appreciation of others.

I also liked how they explored the subjectivity of truth/reality in a world where different forms of truths/realities exist. It was truly the deepest episode ever and I'm so glad that I didn't drop this series in the first half when I didn't enjoy it much.
Nov 29, 2016 4:23 PM

Aug 2014
I'm sorry but did I miss something? I'm guessing the preview for episode 25 happens in the movie right? I'm so confused right now...
KashKetchumDec 1, 2016 3:52 AM
Nov 29, 2016 9:30 PM

Dec 2015
@Kryptiq Sketches? It is the episode 25 preview (first part of tge finale movie). Your DVDs must have edited it into the 24 instead of keeping the original.
Sounds like the episode itself was not inspiring at all to you. XD

edit:
Nano1124 said:
the End of Evangelion movie is the true canon ending

This is (not) true. I know nobody outside of the stupid part of the "fan" crowd who was begging/threating for another end and their heirs here on the western Internet who stated that The End was "the true ending" to the detriment of the TV (glorious) finale. Maybe I'm wrong but I even recall Anno considering that the eps 25 and 26 were "fine". If the movie exists, it's partially for those angry guys (I suppose they were even angrier after it) and probably partially because of Gainax eternal financial problems (they had to capitalize on the show's success to get back on their feet before the next downfall)
Anyway, at best 25' - 26' compliment the original 25 and 26. But they will never replace it. One could argue that they're even optional (the series bei g self-sufficient).
This is what Gendo wanted? Where do the Evas fall in place? ADAM? The Lance of Longinus? What does the committee want?

- Yes, this man has his own issues: he never went past her wife's death. The Complementarity Project should reunite them.
- The EVA's making stqrted as Gehirn's attempt to recreate "God" (if you prefer, the deity-like giant being the expedition discovered) if I remember right.
- ADAM is the oriigin of all Angels (Lillith being his equivalent for humans). Their reason to be is like inseminating planets with life. Now, going outside of the anime's boundaries:
A problem arised when two "inseminators" fall on Earth. The Lance is a device "delivered" with them to "lock" the development of one of those giants in case something like that happens (in Earth case, it happened around the end of the dinosaurs era, the First Impact). From memory, humans foolishly relinquished Adam who was still in its embryonic form, leading to the series events and the Angels appearance... I invite you to read further on that if you're curious.
- The Commitee wanted the stagnant humanity to reach another evolutionary step. Sadly for the old men, Gendô hijacked their plans: he always worked in their backs to appropriate the Instrumentality for his personal goal.

@Raizel At that time, the show had already been moved to an evening/night broadcast slot because of (stupidly over-protective) parents complains. Can't remember when the change was made though, sorry.

@ShadowZ_AnimeZ Indeed, there will be no "explanation" about an Impact or another one. You will be given the Instrumentality through Shinji's case exclusively.
There is no particular "system", it's just that all spirits / lifes were merged into one "bowl of life". ^^

Anyway, have a good time with the great TV finale.

Mai 3rd, 2019
Kajo_Senpai69 said:
how despicable Asuka's mother was for disowning her early on and giving all the emotions her daughter longed for to a doll instead before she took her own life.

In the other hand, as the person working on EVA-02, was it really her entire fault if she had lost part of her mind/soul in the process? (at the very least, she was still living among humans unlike Yui, I know. But still...)
Rei_IIIMay 3, 2019 7:17 AM
Dec 1, 2016 3:59 AM

Aug 2014
Rei366 said:
@Kryptiq Sketches? It is the episode 25 preview (first part of tge finale movie). Your DVDs must have edited it into the 24 instead of keeping the original.
Sounds like the episode itself was not inspiring at all to you. XD

Sorry, I meant the preview for episode 25.
Lol yeah. The episode wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't what I expected...
Jan 4, 2017 6:17 PM

Feb 2013
Jeez, is EVERYONE breaking down mentally? Asuka, Misato, Rei, and Shinji all go broken down. So the Intrumentality Project is basically a infinite tsukuyomi or at least something similar. It wants to make everyone feelse whole or complete or something like that. A whole lot of dark secrets are coming out. This is what Gendo wanted? Where do the Evas fall in place? ADAM? The Lance of Longinus? What does the committee want?

1 last episode and it's over! Well, there's still the End of Evangelion movie and that's the true canon ending so who knows what'll happen. Almost done...

What will you do Shinji?
Jan 12, 2017 5:53 PM

Sep 2015
This second to last episode is super disappointing.. I just hope the last episode is gonna be somewhat good.
Feb 13, 2017 3:09 PM
Mar 2016
I think I'm the only one that enjoyed this episode, I completely get the feel the director is trying to pursue with these characters and the show in general. It was a marvel to watch. Completely original and genius in the way the episode and characters were displayed. A true masterpiece.
Feb 17, 2017 5:04 AM
Mar 2013
What a bland, ridiculous episode. This was way too meta
Feb 20, 2017 8:40 AM
Sep 2016
I have never been so depressed or deeply disturbed since I first watched 'Being John Malkovich'. And for some strange reason I'm into that kind of thing.
Mar 29, 2017 11:15 PM

Dec 2012
M_A said:
aoio said:

The first 24 episodes were the filler. 25-26 are Evangelion.

That's an interesting way of putting it. I can't disagree.

hahahaha fuck this is the greatest post ever
Mar 29, 2017 11:22 PM

Dec 2012
I was really shocked to see that Ritsuko had been shot and lying dead, and I was even more shocked to see that Misato was shot and dead too... was this the doing of commander ikari??

I'm confused on all of the psychological babble, not that I wasn't able to comprehend it, but I'm confused on what is actually happening? Are they all dead, and somehow each of their consciousness' are merging together, somehow because of commander ikari??

And also, commander ikari was talking to the eva that contained her consciousness or the will of her soul, is this what shinji's mother wanted?

I do hope things are wrapped up nicely and we find the answers to our questions
Mar 30, 2017 1:36 PM

Nov 2013
and this episode (and some other things) most likely took away the chance of me giving the anime more than 7...
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 6, 2017 7:41 PM

Jun 2013
It seems that there are only acephalic people in world of animes! You guys can't understand and accept anything too complex for yours little heads. This episode is fantastic and with several interesting insights.
Aug 31, 2017 10:45 AM

Oct 2011
I don't understand how people were confused by this episode. It was so on-the-nose and repetitive. It literally hammered down the same message over and over.

The only thing I was confused about was why they spent a full episode on this, when all it did was blatantly spell out stuff that it has either alluded to or downright established in previous episodes.

And it's not about "wanting action" or anything like that. I just wanted decent writing, considering this is the penultimate episode (yes...I know there's the movie, but my point still stands).

With the exception of some episodes, the show has done a decent job of "show, don't tell" but occasionally it has episodes/scenes like this were it's "tell, tell, tell." Or rather "tell, repeat, repeat." It doesn't respect your intelligence as a viewer. Or your time, for that matter...

How people can praise an episode like this as intelligent writing/direction baffles me.

That all said, i've enjoyed the show so far. In fact, i've enjoyed it a lot, which is why I feel so strongly when crap like this comes along. Either way, i'm looking forward to the movie as well as the rebuilds. I'm imagining they'll address some of the issues I have with the show (hopefully).
TheGenkiGuyAug 31, 2017 10:50 AM
Sep 17, 2017 11:00 AM

Nov 2016
I can see why people are confused, I had a bit trouble of getting every detail too, but if you've paid attention to everything that happened before you should've at least an idea what the message of this episode meant to be.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 20, 2017 9:43 PM

Jan 2016
3deep5me not really
Oct 7, 2017 3:39 PM

May 2016
A truly dark episode, no wonder there were issues in Japan streaming this, just imagine showing this to a child it will have a lot of negativity on their minds.

Rei366 said:
At that time, the show had already been moved to an evening/night broadcast slot because of (stupidly over-protective) parents complains. Can't remember when the change was made though, sorry.
Yeah I heard about that like 2 months ago before I even considered watching NGE and I heard it effected other shows as well, that's the reason why It peaked my interest to watch.
RaizelOct 7, 2017 11:29 PM
Nov 12, 2017 9:04 AM

Jan 2014
Mr_Shnb said:
3deep5me not really

I'm so proud that I discovered that you have "not really" written in white :')

Jan 14, 2018 2:01 PM

Jan 2010
BurntJelly said:
(rewatching again)

5/5

It's really interesting watching this with prior knowledge. Instrumentality has begun. All of the feelings experienced by the characters are nothing that haven't been hinted at throughout the series already.

I've loved this episode since I first saw the series. I can't help but wonder what the like/dislike age breakdown for this is...

Also rewatching. This is indeed confusing for the people that are watching for the first time. After seing End Of Evangelion imo is much clear what is happing under the hood. As you said (and the show also said) the instrumentality project has begun, now it is time for Shinji to choose its conclusion.

P.S. Interesting to see Gendo telling Rei that "the day" was arrived, it is exactly like in the Movie, you know what comes next (Gendo uses Rei to start his instrumentality project).
Jan 28, 2018 2:04 PM

Apr 2015
The budget's clearly run dry, considering how much of this episode was on a black background.

Misato being afraid of sleeping alone/wanting to be defiled/being shamed by the voices in her head for being a slut...doesn't make much sense if she's only had sex with Kaji.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 19, 2018 12:56 PM

Mar 2016
Ths episode is definitely underfunded. There are barely any new animation. Besides that, this episode explained the main character(s) desire and their views since they're all in the human instrumentality system right? So if they're in the human instrumentality system, does their real body have to be killed and their soul transferred to the system?

I just realized it... There's no way a perfectly CLEAR explanation will be revealed in the next episode. The closest thing to an explanation about the impact and other things are probably by showing compilations of short information...
Mar 8, 2018 1:50 PM

Sep 2017
Lots of psychological stuff going on here. Now I understand why Kaworu's reason in the last episode, and a little about his love with Shinji. And, the Human Instrumentality project consists of binding all souls together.

But the plot line is at least smoothed out now. The 24th episode doesn't feel so much out of whack now. Let's see how the last episode proceeds. And man, I really need to recollect all the stuff that happened in all the episodes. It's like reading an encyclopedia the first time around.

But there are some plot threads to be connected. Let's see where this will end.

But it was great doing the shrink stuff with Rei, Asuka and Misato. They really needed it.

And some nice ASMR here. I could listen to this episode with my eyes closed and get the ultimate ASMR.
JeremiahOrangeMar 8, 2018 1:53 PM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 18, 2018 9:20 AM

Feb 2018
Ah yes, the infamous episode 25.

It was nothing short of brilliant, all the buildup of the characters, their personalities, wishes, everything lead here.
Characters are stripped bare in front of themselves, the charade that they have been putting on has been torn down, and they are forced to be honest with themselves, even though it is so painful.

You can feel that the director has gone through the same thought process himself, the emotions are so sincere.

Simply genius, on to the last episode.
Aug 27, 2018 2:58 PM

Feb 2017
Incredibly dense and heavy episode. Difficult to arrive at a conclusion or understanding after that series of abstract interrogations. It's even hard to distinguish what was "reality" or what was mental exploration. I have a sinking feeling that the Human Instrumentality Project isn't going to be very well explained in the last episode if this was the introduction to it in action.

Like others have mentioned, it's obviously clear and sadly disappointing to see that Gainax had drained its budget to the limit towards the end of the show. Lots of still frames in these final episodes.
Oct 10, 2018 11:41 AM

Feb 2018
It is still brilliant. The way they managed to turn the low budget around into their favor was amazing.

It's a hard episode to digest if you are not ready for it, but if you are - you can realize it is a masterpiece.

I remember hating it the first time I was watching the show, it does take a while to start to appreciate.
Nov 6, 2018 1:01 AM
Oct 2017
It was interesting in a way, delving deeper into the psyche of mentally troubled individuals but still I got lost somewhere in the middle.
Dec 16, 2018 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
Quite the confusing episode.

Dec 24, 2018 11:26 PM

Dec 2018
Quite possibly the worst episode of any anime ever
It sounds like the sloppy stream of consciousness of a 15 year old emo kid who suddenly fancies themselves some kind of philosopher or edgy writer.
It feels like this episode lasted hours, and by the end I was just praying for mercy, for it (and the writers career) to end.

I can not express my frustration any more than that; a further, more precise description escapes me.
Dec 24, 2018 11:32 PM

Dec 2018
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
It is still brilliant. The way they managed to turn the low budget around into their favor was amazing.

It's a hard episode to digest if you are not ready for it, but if you are - you can realize it is a masterpiece.

I remember hating it the first time I was watching the show, it does take a while to start to appreciate.

It's a bunch of pseudo-intellectual absolute fucking nonsense. It's like some freshman that took their first philosophy class, got super high, and decided to armchair philosophize. Thoughts and subjects jump around inconsistently and frantically, with no real common thread or theme, just "I am so deep, notice me senpai". It makes me want to hit the writer with a brick.
Apr 27, 2019 12:03 AM

Dec 2018
Stupid episode. This was so horrible that I'm dropping my rating for the series from a 7 all the way to a 5.
May 3, 2019 4:46 AM

May 2016
After the threat the Angels had brought upon the world was decimated, it looks like the Pilots now have to face the mess that is their minds that had festered within them after all that time they kept it unchecked while fighting those monsters. Now that they have nothing to fight for anymore, they all started looking back to search for their reason to exist and it only made them more and more despaired. If there's one thing I can say, it's about how despicable Asuka's mother was for disowning her early on and giving all the emotions her daughter longed for to a doll instead before she took her own life.

It's become so surreal that's it's difficult to determine what's real or not since most of it is apparently from Shinji's perspective of everyone. It looks like he had shut himself into that studio to stop being interacted with by others but retaining the ability to understand the thoughts of his comrades without having to get attached at them even more.

May 17, 2019 10:48 AM
Apr 2016
Well, a rather psychological episode, nonetheless it was repetitive, felt like a giant mess.
Jun 3, 2019 5:49 PM

Dec 2018
i'm even more confused honestly.....
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.