Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 17, 2017 9:32 PM

Dec 2013
It's rare to see Rei give a shit about anything. I was genuinely surprised when she scolded Asuka, who obviously cares about Shinji too.

Just what the hell are Evas? Shinji's introspective reminded me of how his Eva acted on its own to save him in the first episode. Inb4 Ikari Yui's personality was implanted on Unit 01.

Pretty great episode, expecting more of this.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Mar 10, 2017 4:08 AM
May 2016
I have a feeling that Shinji's mother might have been used to create the Evas!
Mar 26, 2017 10:00 PM

Dec 2012
Sabinlerose said:
I loved the physiological bits.

A lot of my theories are falling into place.
That the Evas are some kind of human angel hybrid.
Asuka and her Unit Two being related to her mother.
Shinji and his Unit One being related to his own mother.
Rei being injected with Angel cels.

The fact that they said "Rei and Shinji can't know the truth" implies that Asuka already knows. Meaning back when she muttered "Mother..." it was some epic foreshadowing.

REALLY interested to see what exactly they meant by Shinji's fathering killing his mother, and Shinji lying about it.

Next episode, When Penguins cry.

yes! perfectly put! I'm thinking the same thing.

I was rather bored with the first 10 episodes, but these mysterious psychological seeds are finally sprouting. The plot is finally taking a more definitive direction. Ready to see what makes this "THE psychological anime"
Apr 4, 2017 6:58 AM

Jun 2013
Finally, the "Dementia" label was justified.
Apr 4, 2017 7:12 AM
Mar 2017
Is it just me or is the directing and art design in this episode a notch above most of the series? All that sharp noirish use of shadows, immediately contrasted with the soft pastel colors in the hospital room...

One of the best angels too--its design is actually pretty trippy and doesn't just feel like a way to save money on animation, unlike some of the other abstract angels.
Apr 27, 2017 4:04 AM

Jun 2016
This is my favourite episode so far. I felt bad for Shinji, and while he was a little whiny about the whole situation (who wouldn't be) he was not annoying.

That trippy last 5-10 minutes were freakin great. A deep look into Shinji's distraught emotions, loved it.

Katsuragi actually caring about Shinji was very sweet and moving.

The best moment however to me was Rei stopping Asuka from talking bad about Shinji. She showed more emotion than in the entire series at that moment, and I fully expected Rei to slap Asuka.

I also liked Asuka's reaction to Katsuragi hugging Shinji: Weren't you going to punish him? -.-

Great stuff.
Jul 22, 2017 12:07 AM

Mar 2012
pinkarray said:
ASUKA, STOP PUNCHING THAT STUPID LOCKER!!! I WANT TO PUSH YOUR BUTT INTO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know it's been a while but your comments make my day.
Jul 22, 2017 5:38 PM

Jun 2011
unbewithable said:
pinkarray said:
ASUKA, STOP PUNCHING THAT STUPID LOCKER!!! I WANT TO PUSH YOUR BUTT INTO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asuka is a big brat and she needs to go get therapy and help
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 22, 2017 9:42 PM

Mar 2012
pinkarray said:
unbewithable said:

Asuka is a big brat and she needs to go get therapy and help

i agree with you so much on this. i read the manga when i was still at school and i used to think that she was cool, but man, she's an annoying one.
Jul 23, 2017 12:19 AM

Dec 2015
pinkarray said:
Asuka needs to go get therapy and help

unbewithable said:

i agree with you so much on this.

Do you mean something like her future shock therapy?

@unbewithable Don't worry, she'll eventually have to take a pause for a seance of
^^

@Nishi_23 Yes, it is. Kind of. The seeds were here before though.
And it all goes downhill, if that's what you were looking for. (the ending is more balanced)

@Mr_Shnb Based on your sayings, I regret to inform you that it won't. Have a not too disappointing watch.

@Raizel Pin-pon !
No need to worry about damaging potential thrills during a future revelation, this won't happen. This is EVA, a certain amount of informations is only shown/infered and never told through a matter-of-fact statement.
Wish you more pleasant discoveries in this series.
Rei_IIIOct 7, 2017 10:58 AM
Jul 26, 2017 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
Rei366 said:
pinkarray said:
Asuka needs to go get therapy and help

unbewithable said:

i agree with you so much on this.

Do you mean something like her future shock therapy?

@unbewithable Don't worry, she'll eventually have to take a pause for a seance of
^^

I haven't heard of shock therapy, I was saying pyscho-therapy, and she doesn't need it in the future, she needs it right now! And she should've had it a long time ago.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 29, 2017 1:17 PM

Feb 2015
Is this where it starts getting all fucked up? Sure seems so, really cool.

@Rei366: Good, this is kinda what I've been waiting for.
Nishi_23Jul 29, 2017 2:03 PM
Aug 8, 2017 12:26 AM
Mar 2017
I love berserk mode
Wtf, he saw his mother ... it gives me an omen that the eva is linked to shinji's mother somehow ...

It may be that the fact that they said "Rei and Shinji can not know the truth" implies that Asuka already knows. Which meant that when she murmured "Mother ..." was something that seemed to be something epic.

It's weird to see Rei give a shit about anything. I was really surprised when she scolded Asuka, who obviously cares about Shinji too ... and Asuka, tsundere!

It seems that Misato's days of being a pawn are numbered. His desire to know NERV's true intentions (and his disapproval of his clandestine acts towards them) and his concern for Shinji further demonstrate his good nature and attentive heart.

REALLY interested in seeing what exactly meant that Shinji's father killed his mother, and Shinji lying about it.

I guess from here the thing gets fucked xD
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Sep 16, 2017 2:31 AM

Nov 2016
Finally it's starting to get more and more interesting. Some insight of Shinjis psychology and the rage mode of Unit-01 we're quite something. Though I have yet to make sense out of his thoughts, guess have to rewatch that scene later.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 18, 2017 9:20 AM

Jan 2016
This episode alone is better than the whole first half of this show, hope it keeps getting better.
Oct 7, 2017 10:18 AM

May 2016
I think I have a basic idea what the Eva's are based on.

@Rei366 wow you must be die hard fan of this show since you have checke the last post
Well I'm glad that I was wrong :D
RaizelOct 7, 2017 11:02 AM
Nov 12, 2017 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
Oh my god what the heck is going on?! I don't trust Nerv and these Evas are bad news...!
Dec 13, 2017 8:39 PM
Nov 2016
i dont know why, but i really love the ending song.
i mean, at the Rei's voice, when she says something at the Ending song.
Jan 4, 2018 8:48 PM
Jul 2017
I absolutely love the music during shinji's mental journey... I believe that music also played while rei was in unit 01.

Ever since episode 14 I have been really enjoying this series and I wonder who the 4th child is going to be...
Jan 25, 2018 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
I was a little bit disappointed that Rei didn't go ahead and slap Asuka while she was shittalking Shinji.

Shinji might have survived, but he's never going to mentally recover from this incident.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 15, 2018 11:40 AM
Jan 2018
This is probably my favourite episode so far. Shinji is my favourite character and we learn so much about him here. Then there’s the many character interactions and the growing suspicion of NERV, savage Eva 01 and Shinji’s segment inside the Plug, just beautiful
Feb 18, 2018 12:36 PM

Mar 2016
A berserk EVA again destroying some black hole weird af angel! Awesome!

Is Shinji's mother related to the EVA or the angels somehow? OR is it just Shinji's imagination of her when he's about to die? More importantly, what are the EVAs exactly and how will it make Shinji and especially Rei upset/mad?
Mar 8, 2018 3:45 AM

Sep 2017
I don't think that Shinji seeing his mom's ghost was a coincidence. That, and the fact that the Unit protected Shinji at episode 1 means that the unit had a personality of its own. Which, combined with

Shinji deserved that pain. For violating a pure act with Asuka in previous episode, he deserves so much more. Rei is still best girl. But boy, that Asuka facing Rei with eyes glowing was scary.

Another angel this episode. But I bet Kaji and Misato have been going at it ever since they both discovered Adam, just like in James Bond movies.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 17, 2018 6:54 AM

Feb 2018
Another great episode, Shinji's battle with himself was really thought-provoking, are there really so many Shinjis? I would rather say that all the other Shinjis depict more the observer rather than Shinji himself. It's an interesting subject to ponder about.

"So, my life is going to end in 16 hours...
I'm hungry."
Humans will be humans, i guess.

Oh so Misato's words got to him, now he's actually "doing what he loves"? Good to hear, Shinji, my boy, good to hear.

Cannot say that I understand how he got out of that Sea of Dirac, although, if anyone can explain, that would be great. He also got out of what they described as the Angel's shadow, not the body of the Angel itself. Didn't make any sense to me, but maybe I missed something.
Aug 26, 2018 4:11 PM

Feb 2017
That was one of the finest episodes in any show I've seen. Simply amazing what they packed into 24 minutes. I loved the abstract and experimental content, and I hope there's plenty more later on.
Nov 2, 2018 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
The first great episode of this series. Shinji's conversation with himself was eery, tied a few things from the earlier episodes and gave them importance.
Dec 15, 2018 11:43 AM

Aug 2013
Seems like Shinji's Eva went berserk.

Overall, a great episode.

Dec 24, 2018 6:49 PM

Dec 2018
Waah waah poor me shinji strikes again
every time he gets slapped back to reality, just to regress back to whiny little bitch mode all over again.
worst MC in the history of all media
Jan 9, 2019 7:24 PM
Jan 2019
Another great episode, not just the main plot of it but everthing else.
All characts face terrible situations this episode. Shinji is trapped in Leliel and almot die. Asuka struggling when Shinji is considered "the best pilot", Rei and Misato dealing with the possibility to lose Shinji (both of them in different ways)
When Shinji is trapped in the angel we learn more about the EVA, the angels and about Shinji itself. Is a god way to show the viewer information they need to know with tention and action.
Apr 24, 2019 1:40 PM

Dec 2018
Yeah ok this episode sold me. The last few episodes have really been building up the plot nicely, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. Berserk Eva was hype, and the amount of character development here was great.

And that Angel type! The shadow and real body being reversed and it opening up a door to another dimension was some crazy sci-fi shit. That's what I like to see in a show like this.
Apr 29, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2016
Now that I think about it, the inside of the Evas are pretty much isolation cells so that might be the reason why the pilots think about so many profound things because pondering on such thoughts was probably the only thing they could do to stop themselves from going insane in that hunk of junk. I also have the dreadful feeling that Unit 01's production might've had something to do with his mother since it protected Shinji and that apparition suddenly appeared from within it. It was already revealed that Evas are pretty much repurposed Angel guts so it wouldn't be a stretch to add a human to the mix.

Asuka kept acting pettily just because of Shinji scoring a little bit higher and ended up inflating his ego before getting swallowed by a shadow into a sea of blood. That's the most humbling moment a person can go through, that's for sure.

May 16, 2019 9:07 PM
Apr 2016
Okay, I didn't expect this to be this good, goddamn that was amazing! Shinji's mentality is just fascinating, they sure did a good job making him interesting. Katsuragi crying for Shinji was amazing, I felt really moved by that. Amazing episode.
Jun 1, 2019 8:24 PM

Dec 2018
that was fucking terrifying and mindblowing in the best way possible. wow.
Jun 22, 2019 10:59 AM

Aug 2018
For the Netflix users: Did the quality drop in this episode? or is it just me?
Jul 3, 2019 8:05 PM

Sep 2013
pastofdraw said:

Yes, but it's like this in the blu-rays as well. I don't know if it was a badly produced ep or just a bad upscale.
Jul 8, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2018
requiett said:
pastofdraw said:

Yes, but it's like this in the blu-rays as well. I don't know if it was a badly produced ep or just a bad upscale.
dang sadly didn’t get to witness fly me to the moon ed firsthand :’c
Jul 12, 2019 7:24 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode!

Definitely one of the mindfuck episodes :)

I like how as soon as Shinji gain some confidence, things started to turn 180 out of nowhere.

I guess being stayed inside that Angel, he started having delusions due to probably the Angel absorbing Eva 01. Also, Shinji's mother Yui, has the same voice actress as Rei. Makes you think :O

Asuka can be Tsundere at times. Even still mocking Shinji, but deep down. She is still concerned for him.

Ritsuko got bright slapped by Misato. Damn!

EVA 01 became a beast!! Seriously, this is getting so fucking good! I really love the blood splatters all over EVA 01. I miss this kind of shows here they really emphasize blood in a more grounded way :)

Now, Misato knows that Human Instrumentality Project, Adam and EVA are all connected. Even Rei seems to have a key part on it as well even acquiring Longinus Lance.

I would say that the BD has a lot more grain this time around. Won't be surprised if they indeed had lost the masters for this show.

Aug 7, 2019 5:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I remember that when I first watched NGE back in the day, it was in this episode that the secret of the EVA's became clear to me (the details were still up in the air).

Superb directing and art as always. The use of different shades/colouring according to the situation was so well done.

The older I get watching this series, the more I appreciate Misato. One of the few, perhaps the only person that really cares about Shinji and will fight for him. Yes, she makes mistakes in her relationship with him, but she tries her best with the tools at her disposal. And Asuka is clearly not your stock tsundere. She's a lot more than that. She's a very intelligent, yet extremely insecure and emotionally fragile 14 year old.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2019 3:45 AM

Oct 2012
I mean that was pretty cool way to save yourself
I guess Shinji have tendency to "berserk" the EVA

I'm feeling uncomfortable with the ED, especially the whispers :P
"Signature removed"
Nov 9, 2019 12:23 PM

Sep 2011
Amazing episode, the plot is getting really interesting with all these mysteries. I think Evas are humans transformed in machines.

Eva 01 in Berserk mode is always so cool.
Nov 12, 2019 4:14 PM

Nov 2017
It was his Eva, Misato! He was number one!
Jan 21, 2020 8:40 AM
Oct 2019
Best episode so far!
Mar 22, 2020 7:37 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
HOLY SHIT. That was epic. That took a total 180 degree shift from really moving when he thought he was about to die to full on badass beserker mode when it burst from the black sphere with the blood(?) spurting out like that.

The art direction/style, whatever you want to call it, really is on another level with this show. It's truly a visual masterpiece to look at.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Mar 30, 2020 12:55 PM

Jan 2014
It's accelerating, I guess!
Good episode!
Mar 31, 2020 10:08 AM

Aug 2009
requiett said:
pastofdraw said:

I found this in the IMDB trivia section:

"The version of Episode 16 ("Splitting of the Breast") that is contained on the Renewal (Japan) and Platinum (overseas) rereleases is not the original print. The older 16mm negative had somehow become lost from the development lab archives; therefore, a 35mm internegative was used for this recent edition. Color correction and digital remastering were also utilized to simulate the original. However, there is a noticeable discrepancy in color saturation and artifact cleanup compared to other episodes in this release."

So seems like they lost the original for this episode.
Apr 5, 2020 8:50 PM

Dec 2019
"Eva's Secret" ? oh damn im pretty sure what that secret is... imagine being more than 12 hours inside that capsule, i wouldn't last 30 minutes in there lol, good episode overall but i fell like the action is just so little every episode.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 8, 2020 3:47 PM

Apr 2016
Well the plot certainly took a turn. Everyone is beginning to suspect that something is rotten in the state of Nerv!

I like the shift.

Better than just bashing Angels every episode. Yawn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2020 2:41 PM

Mar 2008
Samu-tan said:
requiett said:

I found this in the IMDB trivia section:

"The version of Episode 16 ("Splitting of the Breast") that is contained on the Renewal (Japan) and Platinum (overseas) rereleases is not the original print. The older 16mm negative had somehow become lost from the development lab archives; therefore, a 35mm internegative was used for this recent edition. Color correction and digital remastering were also utilized to simulate the original. However, there is a noticeable discrepancy in color saturation and artifact cleanup compared to other episodes in this release."

So seems like they lost the original for this episode.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The sudden drop in quality felt so jarring.
Jun 21, 2020 11:30 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Wow what a thrilling episode. "Rei and Shinji would never forgive us if they found out the truth of the Eva's" hmmmm so there's definitely going to be a bombshell plot twist coming up regarding them. I feel like the Eva going berserk and Shinji seeing an eye grow on it in the very first episode are a clue somehow.

Was cute seeing Rei waiting for Shinji when he was in the hospital bed. And Asuka trying to secretly see if he was OK.
Jul 16, 2020 3:08 PM

Feb 2020
what a loaded episode!!!!! so many things to pick up on!!! i love it!!!!!

i knew the eva units were sentient!!!!!!! i knew it!! perhaps they made them from angels (adam maybe? which is why it was stored in nerv? idk) and it also might explain how the eva units are able to defeat angels so easily, if they are made from the same thing? or at the very least they copied a lot of the structure from the angels' coding? my mind is racing

but that was a combination of badass and pretty horrific as well, seeing unit 01 rip its way out of the angel's shadow sphere thing. maybe the eva units, being sentient, choose to act all feral when their host pilot is incapacitated, something similar happened in shinji's first angel fight as well. also there is a sequence in the intro where 01 has bloodied hands too and that came to mind during this sequence

and shinji's introspection, poor kid is just so lonely and feels abandoned by his (douchebag) father. no wonder he's choosing to ignore all the bad around him, he's finally found a place and use for himself and wants to retain that feeling. i wonder why people hate him so much?

asuka is kind of adorable, and i think i've mentioned this before, but this show never lets us forget that these eva pilots are just kids, they are immature and make silly jokes and don't take things seriously all the time (except rei but she's been through some Stuff). but now i reckon they are going to start losing a lot of their innocence and faith in the world, especially asuka who seemed so terrified when she saw 01

i want to know more about rei!! she has had all her memories cleared so we have literally no clue of her backstory, why she was chosen to be a pilot, her motivations, nothing at all, it's fascinating. but it's clear she's warmed up to shinji, she wanted to rescue him when he was swallowed, and she seems to have no time for asuka's cockiness. also ritsuko said rei and shinji will be betrayed when they find out what the evas are made of...... what does that mean!!!!!!

also rei repeating what that woman (shinji's mother?) said in his delirium, i wonder what the significance of that will be? and when shinji woke up and misato was calling him, it was the pattern of the water from the intro sequence as well! i noticed that too

gendo ikari seems to be away from nerv awfully frequently huh... someone might start to think he is up to something...... hate that guy :)
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

812 by lkm630y »»
May 10, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

175 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 7, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

167 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.