Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Anime Producers Realize They Released Excessive Titles

New
Mar 23, 2009 12:24 AM

Feb 2008
According to Mainichi Online, the number of visitors to Tokyo International Anime Fair 2009 were 130,000, which was the largest since its start in 2002. The event itself was successful, but the anime producers share a sense of crisis. The main concern is that the sales of anime DVD have reached the ceiling.

Here is the graph of the anime DVD sales in Japan between 1997 to 2008.

Created by dtshyk based on JVA data
The number in 2008 is the sum of DVD and BD sales.

The gap between the sales of successful and failed titles are increasingly large. In 2008, the sales of some successful titles were more than 100,000 copies per volume but the failed titles were sold only a few thousands or less. The anime producers regretted that they had been blinded by the competition and had released excessive number of titles. The number of titles to be aired this spring will be decreased by 30% compared to the last year.

Source: Mainichi
Source: AV Watch

Ref. TV Anime DVD Total Sales Ranking for 2008 (the total sales of the first volume)
myanimelistllcSep 22, 2016 11:01 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 23, 2009 12:36 AM

Oct 2008
Wait, so anime producers are working together to balance out the sales of anime, because anime such as Kaiba and Kaiji (picked two from the "out of the ranking" list) were terribly unpopular?
Or am I misunderstanding something here?
Mar 23, 2009 12:43 AM

Jul 2008
I like the move. This could mean higher budgets for the anime that does get made and lower prices.
Mar 23, 2009 12:47 AM

Feb 2008
BigSimo said:
Wait, so anime producers are working together to balance out the sales of anime, because anime such as Kaiba and Kaiji (picked two from the "out of the ranking" list) were terribly unpopular?

You basically got the point. So anime producers think once a title fails to catch the attention of the fans, the sales will be miserable because there are a lot of competitors.
Mar 23, 2009 12:48 AM

Apr 2007
well then spring better be a fucking good season
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2009 12:51 AM

Sep 2008
I do hope so too.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Mar 23, 2009 1:15 AM

Oct 2008
Quality over quantity<3
Mar 23, 2009 1:32 AM

Sep 2007
BigSimo said:

BigSimo said:
because anime such as Kaiba and Kaiji

BigSimo said:
Kaiba and Kaiji

Fuck.
Mar 23, 2009 1:35 AM

Dec 2007
This gives me so much hope for the anime industry. Not only do they realize they made a mistake but them fixing it will be good for the industry in general. I am increadably happy with this news.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2009 1:53 AM

Oct 2008
dtshyk said:
BigSimo said:

You basically got the point. So anime producers think once a title fails to catch the attention of the fans, the sales will be miserable because there are a lot of competitors.

Yeah, thought so. Well it's a good move then in my eyes, since a lot of good quality anime goes unnoticed.

naikou said:
BigSimo said:

BigSimo said:
because anime such as Kaiba and Kaiji

BigSimo said:
Kaiba and Kaiji

Fuck.

lol, I assume that was out of annoyance and frustration at how ridiculously unpopular those two anime were/are.
Mar 23, 2009 1:56 AM

Apr 2007
Good news indeed, I was wondering how some studios even made money considering how bad sales for some anime were, despite how good they may have been. This will hopefully help a bit.
Mar 23, 2009 1:57 AM

Oct 2007
Its good to see that they are starting to get concerned that their shows don't sell . Hopefully from now on there will be less crappy shows out there and more better ones because people wont even bother to get stuff that they don't like even if they would be " free " to archive / collect * thinks about the internet * .
Mar 23, 2009 2:01 AM

Dec 2007
Ah, NO WAY! They finally noticed what everyone else knew already! O_O
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 23, 2009 2:08 AM

Dec 2007
Rebella said:
Quality over quantity<3

I'm honestly doubtful. It's understandable, no doubt, as the bottomline has always been business. But good-selling anime doesn't necessarily equal quality anime. In fact, it's quite the contrary. The treasures are usually found at the rubble of the pile or at the middle, as they do not contain the typical mainstream elements. Seirei no Moribito comes perfectly to mind.

What's fantastic about anime is that there's always something for everyone. It doesn't matter the genre you like, how niche of a fan you are, you want quality, or plainly high entertainment value, you have it. Couldn't a balance of sorts be achieved? Perhaps, when things get better, the reward of creativity alongside the free flow of ideas will be allowed once again.

Note: I borrowed the quote above only to make a point about the topic. Sorry for the earlier confusion.
KeiraMar 23, 2009 7:08 AM
Mar 23, 2009 2:18 AM

Jul 2008
Bold strategy cotton

let's see if it pays off for them
PerposteroneMar 23, 2009 2:48 AM
Mar 23, 2009 2:36 AM

Nov 2006
finally. plz stop making dumb moe harem shit so people can retrain themselves to recognize good anime when they see it and not let anime like kaiji and real drive not even make the charts while strike witches and kanokon do.

that is one hell of a runon, but i'm too tired to fix it.
Mar 23, 2009 3:24 AM

Aug 2007
I'm not sure if I like this...

Sure there are alot of anime that are crap and don't sell...
But what this statement really says to me is... they don't want to take chances with anime they aren't sure will succeed... In other words... they're going to stick with "Formula" series instead of trying more original stuff. =/

Also... They need to take into account their sales based on the good anime that came out in 2008. Honestly... there haven't been any A+ original series for a long long time... The quality of their top series is also to blame. 3 of the top 5 series on that list are sequels for one... And Macross and Gundam are part of the larger series name... so they already have that as a selling point. But honestly... when you don't have original material for a while the market will go stale... Look at Hollywood >.<

Then there's the fact that the world economy as a whole has been slowly tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down >.>
I'd like to find a Japanese economic chart some where and compare it to this chart... I bet its similar...

Either way... news like this usually isn't good for the industry.
Mar 23, 2009 3:56 AM

Mar 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Ah, NO WAY! They finally noticed what everyone else knew already! O_O

ditto
Mar 23, 2009 3:57 AM

Feb 2008
windy said:
finally. plz stop making dumb moe harem shit so people can retrain themselves to recognize good anime when they see it and not let anime like kaiji and real drive not even make the charts while strike witches and kanokon do.

On the contrary, it's the dumb moe shit that sells. If companies are worried about their DVD sales, then Bluesnow is right, anime studios will be taking less risks on creative and original shows like Kaiba.
Mar 23, 2009 4:23 AM

Sep 2008
I think this is good and bad news. It might cut back on some of the crap that is produced but it could also see less risk taking as well. Just because a show sells well doesnt mean it was any good. Its a tough global economy though so ofcourse companies are going to turn to shows that will sell, since they are in the business of making money.
Mar 23, 2009 4:33 AM

Nov 2007
ghostphace said:

On the contrary, it's the dumb moe shit that sells. If companies are worried about their DVD sales, then Bluesnow is right, anime studios will be taking less risks on creative and original shows like Kaiba.

Exactly. They'll just stick to generic pulp crap that is guaranteed to sell well. We'll see less original (and seinen/josei) titles and more moeblobs and shounen.
Mar 23, 2009 5:29 AM

Jul 2007
Amex_Yohko said:
I just blame on fansubbing...

How would fansubbing affect dvd/bd sales in Japan?
Mar 23, 2009 5:32 AM

Jul 2007
It'd be terrible if more creators/animators would simply stick to the sure-sell formula and ignore the more experimental titles.
Mar 23, 2009 6:31 AM

Oct 2007
Hmm, not sure if this is a good thing, we need shitty anime to balance out all the good anime...

>__>

<__<

BELIEVE IT!
Mar 23, 2009 6:33 AM

Jun 2008
animejnkie said:
Amex_Yohko said:
I just blame on fansubbing...

How would fansubbing affect dvd/bd sales in Japan?

It's not the fansub itself, but rather, that that availability of Raws online that facilitate fansubbing also facilitate piracy...

Of course, I'd blame poor sales more on the ridiculous price of DVDs and crazy airtimes in Japan.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Mar 23, 2009 6:37 AM

Oct 2008
Keira said:
Rebella said:
Quality over quantity<3

I'm honestly doubtful. It's understandable, no doubt, as the bottomline has always been business. But good-selling anime doesn't necessarily equal quality anime. In fact, it's quite the contrary. The treasures are usually found at the rubble of the pile or at the middle, as they do not contain the typical mainstream elements. Seirei no Moribito comes perfectly to mind.

What's fantastic about anime is that there's always something for everyone. It doesn't matter the genre you like, how niche of a fan you are, you want quality, or plainly high entertainment value, you have it. Couldn't a balance of sorts be achieved? Perhaps, when things get better, the reward of creativity alongside the free flow of ideas will be allowed once again.

I mean hopefully this will help animes like Kaiba sell more.
Sorry but "moe shit is selling" because that's what people prefer to watch. Just look at Clannad and Toradora, right now they're on the top on most viewed anime list besides regular shounens all because of the more factor.
I'm not saying the industry should direct people into watching cetrain genres but the industry should definitly support creative and original works.
Mar 23, 2009 6:54 AM

May 2008
Rebella said:
Quality over quantity<3

100% agree
Mar 23, 2009 7:06 AM

Dec 2007
Rebella said:

Sorry but "moe shit is selling" because that's what people prefer to watch. Just look at Clannad and Toradora, right now they're on the top on most viewed anime list besides regular shounens all because of the more factor.
I'm not saying the industry should direct people into watching cetrain genres but the industry should definitly support creative and original works.

Oh dear! I heartily apologize. The reason why I quoted your post was to make a point in a reply to the topic. I'm neither for or against anything you said. I should have made a footnote about it which I'll do so right away. Sorry about it.
KeiraMar 23, 2009 7:09 AM
Mar 23, 2009 7:09 AM

Oct 2007
dtshyk said:
*3, 32,450 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season *without Blu-ray

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Blueray release came out after DVD release)

Vol 1 = 50,631 (8,216 BR, 42,415 DVD)
Vol 2 = 41,380 (6,021 BR, 35,359 DVD)
Vol 3 = 38,035 (5,179 BR, 32,856 DVD)
Vol 4 = 35,456 (4,734 BR, 30,722 DVD)
Mar 23, 2009 7:10 AM

Oct 2008
Keira said:
Rebella said:

Oh dear! I heartily apologize. The reason why I quoted your post was to make a point in a response to the topic. I'm neither for or against anything you said at all. I should have made a footnote about it which I'll do so right away. Sorry about it.

No no!!! I know XDDD I thought you thought I liked Naurto and other animes that are responsibile for Kaiba and Kaiji's poor sales. I was saying, now that people have no choice but to watch the few shows selected by producers, hopefully this will help them sell more units.
Mar 23, 2009 7:49 AM

Mar 2009
Hmm, this causes mixed feelings in me. While I like the idea that they can now focus on fewer projects to make them good, it also might mean they'll be taking less risks to make creative stuff. And I prefer the less popular but creative. I mean, I think Baccano was sort of minor but it's one of the best series I've ever seen.(I also liked Himitsu -Top Secret, which was in the out of rank category T-T ) I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this new approach will turn out.
<--person who has never seen a single full episode of Naruto or Bleach, and damn proud of it!

Mar 23, 2009 7:59 AM

Mar 2008
Not surprising that Macross Frontier made it to number 1 ^_^ Awesome series!
Mar 23, 2009 8:00 AM

Jan 2008
Goodbye originality, hello yet more Haruhi spinoffs.
Mar 23, 2009 8:21 AM

Nov 2007
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
Mar 23, 2009 9:03 AM

Apr 2008
Hopefully this will keep them from making so many shitty shows l-

>Kaiji

FFFFFUUUUUU
Mar 23, 2009 9:17 AM

Oct 2007
Neverender said:
it better be because this Winter season sucked balls
Mar 23, 2009 9:26 AM

Feb 2008
i thought kaiba was pretty good. so there were no panty shots or over sexed kids, or giant robots.

making anime is a business after all and they must make what sells...even if its crappy.
Mar 23, 2009 9:33 AM

Nov 2007
Shit. So I'm guessing that we'll have nothing but fanservice and harem shows now?

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Mar 23, 2009 9:42 AM

Jun 2007
Oh well, no matter which way they decide, less anime titles to pile on my PtW list next season.
Mar 23, 2009 10:27 AM

Apr 2008
Hmm, that seems a good thing in the long term, going back to the 90's anime was made with LOVE. XD
Mar 23, 2009 11:22 AM

Jul 2007
windy said:

I like both.
Mar 23, 2009 11:38 AM

Jan 2009
yakyuu-addict said:
I like the move. This could mean higher budgets for the anime that does get made and lower prices.

lower prices? such a thing is not in a corporation's vocabulary. just because they make more money doesn't mean you'll see any of it
Mar 23, 2009 11:58 AM

Feb 2008
Neverender said:
I agree completely.

They better dish out some higher budget series because lets face it, when you've got people like KyoAni dishing out excellent quality series every season you can't expect something by Gonzo (minus Strike Witches) to come anywhere close in popularity.

BUDGET INCREASE R GO!
Mar 23, 2009 12:10 PM

Nov 2006
ghostphace said:
windy said:

i have absolutely no idea what i was thinking; of course it's the moe shit that sells. ignore me. shouldn't post when i'm about asleep.
Mar 23, 2009 12:22 PM

Dec 2007
The moe shit would not sell if it didn't exist.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 23, 2009 12:38 PM

Oct 2007
well i think the general users on mal should be happy. the popular ones always seem to be generic. good news for them
Mar 23, 2009 1:38 PM

Aug 2008
I guess I'm going for vintage shows this time.

I still have a lot of shows that I haven't watched yet.

Mar 23, 2009 3:49 PM

Mar 2008
Rebella said:
Quality over quantity<3

Mar 23, 2009 4:04 PM

Dec 2008
ladyxzeus said:
The moe shit would not sell if it didn't exist.
Mar 23, 2009 4:44 PM

Aug 2007
I don't really belive the production of less titles will be better for industry. That simply means that more companies will supress titles in order to keep the highest quantity of "Sure to sell a lot" titles, which vaguely include good titles, but are full of Moe, ecchi, harem, romance, ero-ge based, crappy unoriginal anime. Probably we will watch spin-offs/rip-offs of hyped/popular series such as Haruhi (as stated somewhere above) or TTGL, Naruto and Bleach, and will have a high decrease on cult/quality series *insert the ones you like here*

So the crysis hits the quality... Probably.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
3 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
7 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
8 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.