Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2013 5:41 AM

Aug 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
They find Mokuzu's dead body in the mountains.
Nagisa's teacher seems to partly blame himself for what happened (At least it looks like that to me).

Time skip and we see that Nagisa is now getting along just fine with her classmates and we hear that Tomohiko has gone to the military.

All in all a great manga, for now one of only two I've given a 10/10 (the other being Pandora Hearts).

A shame that at this moment in time only chapters up to 9 have been translated into English. This needs to be more popular.
.................................................................................
Oct 25, 2013 3:59 PM

Jun 2011
There are a few instances where I almost broke down in tears, like when Nagisa was drinking the same drink as Mokuzu, and shed tears; when Nagisa's leg touched the empty bottle on the floor, and she looked back; when she said "The summer has ended" aw man don't ever forget her!! GAHH What's this feelings inside me? AHHHHHHHHHH!!

Feels like it's related to romance when we're talking about the cause of Tomohiko's hikkimori. The way it's hinted throughout the series.. Man I really miss Mokuzu, but it's time to move on!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 29, 2013 12:58 AM

Jul 2012
Great and so tragic manga.
Nov 29, 2013 1:21 AM

Nov 2011
"Love is depressing".

Ahh that quote...
A hollow ending but I loved that ending quote as well: "Sugar-candy bullets can't pierce anything".
Jan 6, 2014 10:49 AM
Jun 2013
It's been a while seen I cried after reading a manga T.T
Jan 9, 2014 5:36 PM
Aug 2012
Well, shit...
Feb 12, 2014 9:43 PM

May 2013
Funny how I almost thought about giving up on this for seeing shitty chuu2 Rikka in Mokuzu's character and then it turned out to be more than that. Father felt a little too much of an unrealistic psycho and still don't quite understand the fight where Mokuzu's beats the boy up; but overall I found it great, my eyes are semi-wet.
Jun 29, 2014 6:44 PM

Nov 2012
I believe that was the only possible ending here, but still, I just can't stand it. I knew Mokuzu's father is fucked up but no, just no, that's not okay. I really wanted them to be happy as they are, I even believed in the idea of mermaids but I didn't expect that to happen. That's not fair
Dec 15, 2014 12:07 PM

May 2010
I didn't expect it to this extreme...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 21, 2015 8:50 AM

Jul 2012
I was looking for a tragedy so I half-knew what I signed up for...but as the story went on, I can only wish the tragic end would not come.

Any instances of hope or happiness (if they existed at all) were shadowed by an ominous cloud and there just never seemed to be a moment of true liberation ;_;
Jan 31, 2015 4:27 PM

Nov 2013
1 out of 5: Hated it
The manga ended the moment Mokuzu's corpse was found, the last chapter felt totally dragged, was that supposed to make me cry? That was just stupid.
I don't get wtf was with Mokuzu beating that guy, so he was a masochistic? I wish they could have made it clear what was his problem, being ignored by a girl isn't enough to make you kill rabbits, that guy was totally crazy.
And why did Mokuzu go back to her house? Weren't they running away?
I thought Mozuku appearance was supposed to show that sugar-candy bullets are stronger than normal bullets, and that would change Yamada's way of seeing the world, but in the end it went back to where it started.
The reason to make Tomohiko leave his room didn't convince me at all. They didn't even explain what made him not want to leave his room. If he was so smart he surely would have stopped that seeing his sister carrying his burden, so I thought there was a bigger meaning to that, but no...??
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Feb 17, 2015 2:02 PM

Oct 2011
A very powerful, mature, and depressing story, with believable, well-written characters. This series has my utmost approval and respect.

7/10

Feb 19, 2015 11:55 PM

Dec 2014
Mizusi said:
Funny how I almost thought about giving up on this for seeing shitty chuu2 Rikka in Mokuzu's character and then it turned out to be more than that. Father felt a little too much of an unrealistic psycho and still don't quite understand the fight where Mokuzu's beats the boy up; but overall I found it great, my eyes are semi-wet.

Mokuzo got effed up by her dad, and being beaten by her father, she got this twisted notion that hurting someone is a form a love. She beats up that kid because she likes him. (I think)
Mar 6, 2015 7:54 AM

Dec 2012
Very good read. I thought it would be like this, concerning the signs of her being abused, but I was still really engaged and wanted to know what will happen next. I really liked Nagaisa. Very fitting art as well. 8/10
Aug 16, 2015 4:50 AM

Oct 2014
oh wow this made my heart ache and touched me in a way few other stories have, it brought tears to my eyes when her brother found mokuzu's body

9/10
Nov 29, 2015 8:30 AM

Feb 2014
Seriously? This was appalling 1/10...

No more words is needed to describe this: appalling.
Jan 16, 2016 2:43 AM

Mar 2012
The story has an original premise, and it is rare to see such a chilling and real depiction of child abuse. However, the only likeable character was Mokuzo, who is the real protagonist of the story. It would have been more respectful to the story if we gained the pov of her, and saw everything through her warped vision.

Instead, we got an angsty, self-obsessed 13 year old who appeared to be worldy in the first chapter, but turned out to be naive, dense, and selfishly obsessed with herself and her crush. I never liked the addition of that Kamagita boy (I got into this manga as a recommendation of mangas with absolutely no romance, so you can see how I'm annoyed on this end) and I don't understand how he was able to karma houdini his way out of animal slaughter, nor why Mokuzo developed a sudden liking to him at the last minute.

The ending is inconclusive, short, and unsatisfying. So what happened with the main character? Did Nagisa decide to go to school after all? It would be hilarious if she gave up her goal of going into the military because it was her one admirable trait.
I would have appreciated a proper where are they now epilogue instead of the philosophical non sequitor we got.

Also, fuck that teacher cunt. Apparently when Mokuzo dies, he goes down in tears saying he always tried to help her, that Mokuzo wanted to die, and that he did the best he could? Is there a more despicable human being than the one who is so self-absorbed that he tries to justify all his actions?
Just cause his brother was a shut-in means he is the all-encompassing authority on what Nagisa should do with her life? Fuck off. He even threatens to follow her home to talk to her mother. What a fucking pedophile.

It's why I dislike Nagisa. She hears Mokuzo being abused, and she runs away crying "woe is me" and doesn't even tell anyone. Hopefully, she lives the rest of her average, ordinary, insignificant life with the knowledge her inaction killed Mokuzo.

Edit: Apparently, yes, she decides to go to high school at that teacher cunt's behest. So, all respect completely gone.
OrvietoJan 16, 2016 3:01 AM
Apr 21, 2016 2:24 AM

Mar 2008
well... great manga, but the ending was quite sad and tragic :/
rip
May 25, 2016 12:29 PM

Aug 2013
The quiz's answer part was nice.

"Because I miss you."
Jun 13, 2016 5:30 AM

Jul 2012
Overall, an enjoyable but flawed story.

Pros: I thought the two main characters were likable and interesting, and I especially enjoyed seeing their relationship develop over time. Both girls are different in a lot of ways, making for obvious conflict, but through their similarities (abbreviated childhoods, trauma, etc.) they're able to strike up a gradual connection that was pretty heart-warming to witness.

I think the art manages to convey the grimness of the main characters' situations, while also remaining cute and pleasing to the eyes.

Cons: I felt like the characters other than the main two were too underdeveloped. The brother was a shut-in, sure, but we never really got to see his perspective, what kinds of anxieties or desires he had, why he felt unable to leave the house. The girl's father clearly suffered from some mental problems and was a sociopath, but again, the author's failure to explore his character more really made him less engaging and believable. I don't even need to say anything about the chicken killer, because I'd just be reiterating. So sure, there could have been totally legitimate and engaging psychological explanations for the ways in which these people acted, but there just weren't.

Finally, I am confused by the supposed moral of this story, particularly the message conveyed in the last panel. Sure, "bullets" represent the main character's way of thinking about relationships and communication; her abbreviated childhood and her family's struggles forced her to become hardened, and to approach people and life with a cold, no-nonsense attitude where things should be concrete and unambiguous. And then "sugar-candy bullets" represent meaninglessness, bullshit, and fluff, the exact kind of sentiments that she detests, which in this case turned out to be a massive cry for help in the case of mermaid girl. But in saying, in that final panel, that sugar-candy bullets can't pierce anything, the main character seems to be neglecting everything that she learned from her friend. She in fact developed a very close relationship with the girl, so to say that her "candy bullets" failed to pierce anything seems to contradict the nature of their entire relationship. If someone with a different interpretation wants to chime in, feel free.
Jul 12, 2016 3:05 PM

Jan 2016
I want to know who did that to the rabbits.
Fantastic art, okay plot, good characters but there are only like 4 or 5
Predictable ending, but too sad and too tragic. I kinda hoped it would have been a little happier i guess
7/10
Aug 21, 2016 2:57 PM

Mar 2015
Well that was some heavy shit.

Very pleasantly surprised by this manga. Great art and dialogues. Touching story and atmosphere. I'm now eager to check out other works by the guy who wrote it.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Dec 30, 2016 9:54 PM

Jul 2011
What the hell did I just read.

I'm on the border between liking it slightly and finding it appallingly overreaching in what it was trying to convey...

Also, I wanted more info on all the side characters...
Jan 10, 2017 2:17 PM

Feb 2016
This shit was so damn good - But so sad as well.
Seriously, the whole story, every single quote made sense.
But aaaah. Damn. While the "storm" thing was obvious, I'd hoped for a happy end.
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love these dark stories, while I hate bad endings.

10/10
This stuff was deep AF.

Anyone has something similar to recommend? Can be much darker than this one as long as it has a happy end.
Aug 29, 2017 4:20 AM

Jun 2009
Well...what the actual fuck?

I mean this WAS the obvious ending throughout basically the entire manga. Yet I still didn't think it would happen just like that. I expected SOME kind of twist but no, she was just straight up murdered by her father.

I think the storytelling was actually rather clumsy at points, a bit too into-your-face. Yet I couldn't stop reading once I started and actually cried at the end.

My heart says 8/10 and that's how I will rate this. My brain says...definitely something worse than that, yet I can't bring myself to rate it any lower. Mainly because I really liked both girls as characters and found their relationship immensely enjoyable to read.

I'm so confused right now.

(On a side note: the love interest subplot sucked)
Oct 9, 2018 9:12 AM

Mar 2017
...damn. Now this is a downer ending done right! I am a sucker for bittersweet endings, and this was definitely one of the better one's out there. If I had to criticize one thing, it's that the brother's development felt a bit fast, and the "bullet" metaphore felt a bit weird at first. But the first one really isn't a fair criticism, because it is a rather short manga after all. I guess I wished it was a bit longer then! And I got used to the latter, and after that final chapter I really got the message they were going for.

It definitely made me sad, but I read it on public transport, so I couldn't get too sad. I probably would have cried if I read this in comfort at home. But it's definitely worth a re-read at some point! I loved the art and it really dealt with hard-hitting topics in a very respectable manner.

I will either give it a 8/10 or maybe even a 9/10!
Mar 8, 2019 3:54 PM
Nov 2013
Why oh why did it have such an ending? It was tragic that Mokuzo died but I don't mind that at all. It was an amazing and expected outcome and it hit me hard but the outcome seemed horrible. It made her death seem so cheap. One person's miserable life was worth fixing everyone else's problems and no one in class will stay silent if they see anything horrible happen before their eyes from now on. How tragic and beautiful story even if I hate the lesson
Oct 10, 2019 2:43 AM

Jan 2018
Quite a few flaws in the work as a whole, but I'll give it credit in the fact that very few stories like this have ever made me shed a tear. This was absolutely heartbreaking, but a great read from start to finish.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 14, 2022 10:28 PM

Dec 2021
Ahhh..
Great manga, i never expected that the events will turn out like this. And ending was painful.
Nov 9, 2023 1:32 AM

Dec 2012
It was morbid & soul sucking to get visual confirmation of Mokuzu's corpse. It seems she knew what was coming but was too attached to her father to stop it. The story turned out to be quite straightforward, but manages to load a full chamber of human psyche into its 13 chapters. There's quite a bit that's never explicitly stated, only implied. It will certainly give me much to dwell on as I detox from this feeling of emptiness.

7/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai Chapter 12 Discussion

Romedbaumann - Aug 3, 2013

6 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 9, 2023 1:03 AM

Poll: » Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai Chapter 10 Discussion

Romedbaumann - Aug 3, 2013

6 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 9, 2023 12:13 AM

Poll: » Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai Chapter 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2012

9 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 8, 2023 11:44 PM

Poll: » Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai Chapter 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2012

4 by GEORGIE_ »»
Aug 31, 2022 3:14 PM

Poll: » Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai Chapter 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2012

7 by Jim_Heart »»
Oct 10, 2020 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.