Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 21, 2019 12:56 PM

Dec 2015
@leunam6 You still have the theatrical route. ;)

@Jin_Uzuki You might want to close your quotation marks, to call the previous person.
Rei_IIISep 14, 2020 10:23 PM
Nov 23, 2019 7:08 PM

Jan 2013
Rei_III said:
@leunam6 You still have the theatrical route. ;)

I'm so glad I watched the movie now after reading your post. It left such a warm feeling in my heart :)

I didn't understand half of it but the visuals were so gorgeous I didn't really care
Dec 13, 2019 2:33 PM

Sep 2009
I'm so touched and sooo confused .___. *goes youtube to watch explains*

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Feb 5, 2020 6:55 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
So I absolutely loved this series. I was completely engrossed the whole way through and was dying to know the end. The visuals were so gorgeous and that soundtrack was one of the best I've heard. I'm not sure exactly how much of it I understand but after reading all the helpful comments explaining things for each episode, it certainly helped.

I think the standout for me though of the show was Nanami. She was by far the most interesting character I thought. She was a complete crazy psycho bitch but I kinda loved her for it. Also, that Egg episode is honestly the funniest episode of anime I've ever seen. I laughed so much I cried and then had to use my asthma pump. Honestly, she's going in my favourites.

As much as I loved it, I can totally understand why people would hate this show. I think you have to be on board with not understanding everything and that's not easy to do. It can get really frustrating but I just let go and enjoyed it.

9/10

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
May 6, 2020 12:14 PM

Sep 2014
Epic finale. Didnt expect it to be so bitter. Sure its all about growing up and facing reality, which is why Utena left the school and Anthy is going to find her. But its bitter that everyone seems to forget her. And there wasnt even a final scene with Utena and Wakaba.
Really liked the ending. But it leaves a very bitter taste for me.

But the show overall.. Was way too long. Imo it would be way better if it was a single cour and more focused. In the end the side characters didnt matter, all that time wasted on Jury and Micky and Nanami.
Utena in the beginning was portrayed as heavily idolized by all the girls and probably boys too, the party episode really showed how epic she is. But that introduction slowly faded away over the next 30+ episodes and it grew weaker and weaker, we saw Utena never as strong as this again which is a shame.
I really had to force myself to continue watching this, not that it wasnt good, but I needed an entire month. Really I was expecting to go through this in a week or so and thats what would be better imo because you cant forget anything so easily.
Its definitely a show you need to watch multiple times, the symbolism is just too strong. But for that its too long.

I wonder if there is a connection between the old fencing club president and what happened to Utena. Both were "hospitalized" which means they were out of school and as far as Im aware the school is the magical place were you dont age. Also as we saw Akio intended to run this thing again which probably also means he ran it before.
Also I wonder what would have happened if anyone else ultimately won the duels, maybe even Touga in the end. What would have been Akios plan then?

Im looking forward to the movie now because I expect it to be way more focused. Not like they have much chance to stray off path with 2h compared to 39 episodes. Though I also think 2h might be too short for this. Reallly one cour would be perfect.

Its hard for me to rate this show. Its just so unique and unusual. Its brave and I respect that a lot, but it just didnt catch me enough to really give it a high rating and its just way too long which watered down the experience quite a bit.
Comander-07May 6, 2020 12:26 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 22, 2020 12:08 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
It was good. The story was overly complicated and the characters were not likeable.

6.5/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jun 5, 2020 12:19 AM
Dec 2017
I left a full review of it but basically it's overrated as hell and the constant praise it receives is puzzling to me. Yes I understand all the underlying metaphor and "deepness" but when I can't personally identify with anyone whatsoever. Everything is left ambiguously up to interpretation, but it had lots of things that didn't seem to be for interpretation but were abandoned. Example, the 100 dead students in that one section of the school that was burnt down and Souji Mikage in general? The students being cremated upon someone who was posessed losing? What was all of that about? Never explained, never hinted at again, it feels like an unfinished thing that was silently written off despite almost being almost it's own mini arc. The car driving around the arena and sometimes someone is in it, sometimes no one is in it, sometimes the rose bride is... All the lights start flashing and then there's a crash and... I can make some kind of haphazard allegory and metaphor if I wanted but it all feels so unconnected and unsatisfying.
Jun 15, 2020 9:00 PM
Nov 2016
Well if you get everything from zero without "looking into some places" it was probably a good ride. But if you come and tell me that I need all that to realize the inner messages or symbolisms to perceive this has a masterpiece I have to say you're so deluded it's beyond me. If people need to study previously or before to fully enjoy a piece of entertainment than it's far from a masterpiece.

That said, over the top repetition, uncecessary footage that tries to be something it could be done simpler and less annoying. That's not necessary to be deep. Also the disgusting incest, more than once, puts me off in many parts.

For the pros, very well managements of relationships and character developments, decent animation for that time and great soundtrack.

Overall I had a nice time with it despite having a hard time with some direction decisions.
Aug 13, 2020 5:09 AM
Sep 2015
Finally finished this show that I started months ago lol.
Hmm I really don't know how to feel.

I know this show should never be taken literally but I'm confused, Anthy was in the sky getting stabbed by a million swords but then Utena finds her in a coffin?

I'm annoyed Akio didn't get his punishment. I guess when Anthy left,that was the moment his punishment began (but most of us wanted a different type of punishment)

I'll give this show a 9/10, now that I think about it the Nanami episodes weren't that bad. They're hilarious.
The animation sucked at times but I watched this for the plot so I can't complain.
Sep 11, 2020 9:32 PM

Feb 2017
It was a very interesting ending, and pretty unexpected. Just remembered I haven't watched the last two episodes after almost three months doing something else. As a story about 'maturing' and adolescence, it is indeed one of, if not the most interesting take and direction on the subjects. And something that I probably won't get again in any medium. I will gladly watch this again years later hoping I'll be able to see it and experience it in a new lens.
addictedtolivingSep 11, 2020 9:42 PM
Sep 14, 2020 3:00 PM

Apr 2009
Hackser_ said:
It was a very interesting ending, and pretty unexpected. Just remembered I haven't watched the last two episodes after almost three months doing something else. As a story about 'maturing' and adolescence, it is indeed one of, if not the most interesting take and direction on the subjects. And something that I probably won't get again in any medium. I will gladly watch this again years later hoping I'll be able to see it and experience it in a new lens.

If you haven't already, it's a good idea to check out the movie. It's a more condensed version of the story with the same themes but made more explicit.

It's also a very good movie.
Jin_uzukiSep 15, 2020 5:33 AM

Sep 18, 2020 2:10 PM

Aug 2014
This was overall a great anime, I loved the artistic depth it has. I was not a fan of the second arc, it felt way too repetitive. Couldnt relate to the characters as well (however they have interesting depth put into them), the Shadow Plays was very cool to watch. Anime is a bit too long which can make a for a repetitive and boring watch, otherwise its very good.
Music and artistic value is high.

Filler episodes were hilariously funny.
Dr-EyesSep 18, 2020 2:13 PM
Dec 31, 2020 5:56 PM

May 2012
Finally finished this series after nearly a year since watching the first episode. I can't help but feel this show would've been a lot stronger if it was more condensed. It tackled a lot of themes that you don't often see addressed in anime, but there was just way too much repetition throughout, especially where the duels are concerned, that it became kind of a slog to watch. I watched the last six episodes in a single sitting today, but before that, I stopped watching for about seven months at one point and then for two more at another. 6/10
Jan 24, 2021 6:25 AM

Nov 2018
Ugh , my head.

I usually dislike anime for being too cliche and uncreative , but this time it was the other way around. I had to search for explanations in comments.

Characters : 10/10 - even all retared to main cast minor characters were fleshed out

Uniqueness : 10/10 , but animation could be much better ( just in theory , I know it aired in 1997 , but imagine if backgrounds were half as smooth as in Monogatari series)

Storyline : really abstract , hard to follow at times(ALMOST HALF OF SERIES , EVANGELION IS NOT EVEN CLOSE) , but it is great.

Nanami laid an egg / 10
I hate everyone equally
Feb 7, 2021 5:26 PM

Mar 2014
I didn't get a lot of what happened but it's nice that Utena managed to free Anthy from her "coffin". Hopefully they'll keep their promise to smile together in the future.

Time to watch a ton of videos explaining wtf happened for me
Mar 3, 2021 4:32 AM

Aug 2018
Very good watch. The ending reminded me of The Metamorphosis in it's own way.
May 12, 2021 12:43 AM

Jul 2016
Well... based on this final episode, I guess it's safe to assume that Anthy backstabbing and distancing herself from Utena was indeed just a front to protect her. After all, Anthy already felt quite bad for "dragging" her only friend into this mess so her maintaining the status-quo and deciding to keep accepting the Swords of Hatred instead of "Prince" Utena would be the only logical option to keep her safe.

Overall, this conclusion ended up being way less tragic from what I was anticipating. In the end, both Utena and Anthy opened their eyes after coming out of their "coffins" and though everybody in the academy forgetting about Utena was meant to be seen as something sad, I honestly couldn't care less about this matter. I mean, it's not like she was particularly close with any of those students. Yes, Wakaba and Student Council members included.
Anyways, in the end Utena managed to "revolutionize the world" in her own way and was able to free Anthy from her prison but at the cost of her "disappearing". Fortunately, now it's Anthy's turn to search for her so that they can reunite and be finally together as they promised. All in all, a quite optimistic conclusion if you ask me.

Honestly, all Revolutionary Girl Utena could have been easily executed in 26 episodes, if not less. Leaving Akio's character introduction and the story behind how the duels system was created aside, the whole Black Rose Saga could have been easily skipped. The same goes for those unbearable "filler" episodes with Nanami as the focus.
As for other aspects, this show's narrative structure was way too repetitive for nearly two thirds of its duration, symbolism got so oversaturated it felt comical for moments and sorry but Utena and Anthy's relationship never appealed to me. I was never able to see them as something more than mere acquaintances... if only those episodes focused on inconsequential side characters would have been used to flesh out their relationship instead.

3/10 - Came for the potentially tragic yuri, got tons of in-your-face sexual innuendoes, a cast with most of its characters being jerks I never found interesting enough and an unexpected gross amount of incest instead.
SouthRzVaMay 12, 2021 12:57 AM
Jun 16, 2021 12:51 AM

Apr 2012
Comander-07 said:
all that time wasted on Jury

never ever EVER in my anime watching career i didnt read so much HERESY like this
time wasted on BEST GIRL?!
*lost consciousness from anger*
Jul 16, 2021 3:15 PM
Mar 2019
Kotori said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After 39 eps I still don't know what this was all about..

3/10

Sent with Mal Updater

This 100%. I tried to like and be involved with the plot but there was zero return. The only episodes that made any sense were the fillers which didn't matter in the slightest.
Nov 23, 2021 2:45 PM

Apr 2021
Epic Finale. Very beautiful friendship. Love this show.
Jan 12, 2022 8:12 PM

Sep 2018
Definitely not the masterpiece that I heard it was lol... You can have all the underlying themes and in your face symbolism you want, unfortunately, it made the cardinal sin of being plain boring for at least 2/3s of the show. And not just boring either, painfully slow burning, repetitive, dull, sort of boring... Terrible pacing, 39 episodes was not necessary to tell this story.

The pros were the excellent cast of characters that were well developed and explored plus one of the best soundtracks I've heard in anime. Wasn't a fan of the animation itself. 6/10 overall for the show.
Mar 1, 2022 2:42 PM
Sep 2019
I'm not really good at expressing my thoughts and feelings through words but i have the urge to capture a few feelings regarding this series that i can come back to, since it is just that complex and intriguing.

I will simply list a few points Revolutionary Girl Utena, in my opinion, reflects on and that i take from it.

1. You never need society's approval to make you feel 'worthy' of being a woman. Nor do you need society's approval to feel worthy of love.
2. Don't be afraid of change. Change can be beautiful. Or not. But it's there for a reason.
3. You will figure yourself out eventually.
4. Appreciate the beauty of detail, but don't force yourself to look for meaning in everything.
5. Don't hate yourself for letting your guard down.

And most importantly, remember that only you know exactly what you want and who you are, so don't let anyone change how you view yourself. You are you for a reason.
Mar 28, 2022 3:20 PM

Jan 2022
Loved this anime overall, but I'd be lying if I said I understood it. 7/10

If they made the anime much shorter, left out all the recaps and useless filler it'd be much more enjoyable. But ultimately, it wasn't a bad anime. I'll definitely have to check out the movie.
May 23, 2022 7:02 AM

Oct 2016
Great show that although is hard to understand, it will keep living in my heart for its themes and its unique storytelling. Now, it could be more clear with its symbolism (and not a pain in the arse to understand) and it could omit or use differently its repetitions. Yeah yeah, the repetitions are a part of the story and the symbolism, but that doesn't make them any less tiring to watch... I have so many things I want to talk about, but can't find the right words to express them...
Regarding this episode, it's a positive ending. It doesn't seem positive at a first glance (Utena dissapearing and the school forgetting about her), but the way I see it, the whole Ohtori academy does not exist, it's a symbol for its students' immaturity. Utena did not die. Her and Anthy leaving the school, symbolises their first step into ''adulthood" (more in the sense of dealing with their problems/trauma and being better versions of themselves).
From the very first episode, the minute I saw the dueling arena in the school I though ''wtf this is weird, this can't be real''. This show manages to mix nicely scenes of human reality with surreal imagery. I believe many of the occurences in Utena are not real but a representation for another idea.

9/10 would try again to break the world's shell in order to be born
May 26, 2022 4:27 AM

May 2021
Dang0z said:

9/10 would try again to break the world's shell in order to be born

"For the revolution of the world!". Wow what a show. Honestly, I shouldn't have to look up secondary sources to understand the plot. But I'm better for it. I get this show wasn't supposed to be taken literally. Sometimes you rarely find that show that takes "suspension of belief" quite literally like Saionji and his Mirage Castle. But hey it gets a 9/10 for me. I'm just glad Anthy isn't evil.
"Warriors need a weapon,​

Our bonds forge that blade​

That sword is your soul!"
Aug 10, 2022 6:27 AM

Jul 2021
Finally finished with this series! I have gotta say, this whole journey felt like different sagas were in front of me lol because they were many discoveries on new characters in these episodic series with a moral sense to it, and sure it may be repetitive but I still appreciate for what they're trying to achieve tbh. It's "REVOLUTIONARY" that's the one word to describe this series as a whole. I love the awareness when it comes to its anti-oppression, the execution of the themes of the discomfort inherent faced by teenagers, and the symbolism they're showing, it is truly engrossing, deep, and very rewarding, Nanami is one of my favorite characters surprisingly, though I can easily tell people are annoyed by her character trope but she has one of the most interesting depictions of a person with a brother complex I've seen in a while; what I like about this series is to how they characterize Nanami when eventually Nanami's hostility is given at least a more of an explanation about the way she behaves from the past and present like she has a depth and gradually becomes a well-realized character, to say the least in comparison to other characters with a similar trait as her. That aside, I thought as a character-driven drama series, the character writing, in general, is fantastic from its psychological aspect and most of them are very unique in their own ways! I really want to read/watch more series with a heroine like Utena who is brave and determined after this lol.

9.5/10
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 7, 2022 10:24 AM

Aug 2015
-It could have been a lot better. It almost feels like wasted potential.
-39 episodes were too many considering the second cour was repeating the same process over and over with the villain-of-the-week formula. The only ones that mattered where Shiori and the professor himself.
-Anthy is the most pathetic female character I´ve ever seen in anime/manga.
-The dudes all had the same personality and were split into 2 categories: Shameless simp and woman beater playboy.
-Almost every single character outside Utena (and Juri) were unlikeable.

And my main issue with the story is how it is presented. It´s not confusing, it is simply too criptic. Most of the fantasy elements were detached in the end or put as an illusion, the "end of the world" that Akio showed to the student council was never explained, the "power to change the world" never existed or was meant to be taken literally, and that ending with Utena being gone doesn´t sit right with me, since everyone else ended up being ok. The message of being yourself and the plot being more of a "growing up" story was good, and I liked the idea as a whole, but it definitively felt like it could have been more by having less episodes.

8/10. The anime was really unique.
Oct 16, 2022 1:21 AM
May 2015
It's finally over. Is Utena dead or alive? Who knows? I'll choose to think she's dead. I appreciate what this show tried to do and the ideas it brought forth, but this story absolutely did not need 39 episodes. I'd constantly heard/read this was a masterpiece when I got in to anime 8.5 years ago at this point and I'm disappointed. The amount of filler, dropped plot points, and reused footage just really started to wear away at my motivation to keep watching. A lot of the characters, as well, just weren't likable to me. Giving it a 6. I'm hoping the movie is better than the show (and from what I understand it's a similar situation to the Escaflowne TV series and movie, in that they're not really related to one another).
Oct 17, 2022 6:56 PM

Jul 2022
I enjoyed the Anime
Soon gonna watch the movie.
They could have skipped the 'filler/flashback' episodes. Since I do think 39 ep was too long.
But worth to watch it.
Oct 23, 2022 6:35 AM

Jul 2014
Well, this show sure was an experience, so much of one that I'll take absolutely zero interest in any of Ikuhara's works in the future. It had some definite highs in places, but I really think it peaked in the first arc and then lost all its momentum with the repetitive and utterly pointless experience that was the Black Rose arc. And even after that, it took until the final 6 episodes for things to start becoming even slightly interesting again, only to end in a way that ultimately isn't really all that satisfying.

For such a character-driven show, Utena's cast is seriously uninteresting. Himemiya remains an absolutely nothing character until the very end and I can't even begin to get invested in Utena's obsession over her for that reason. Nanami is utterly pointless from start to finish, the rest of the student council are uninteresting outside of the first arc. Well, maybe that doesn't apply to Touga, but Akio kind of overlaps with him and ends up overshadowing him for it as a symbol for the patriarchy trying to control and oppress Utena and Anthy. Juri was the most interesting council member in terms of her conflict as a closeted lesbian, but they could have done a lot more with that than they did.

Ultimately, though, my feeling is that an entire cour could have been cut from this show without making any difference whatsoever. Say, cut out most of the Black Rose arc (you need it for Akio, and maybe keep the Wakaba episode too) and all of Nanami's filler episodes to compact it into a much less tedious overall experience.

7/10 feels a little generous with all my complaints, but there is undoubtedly value here if you can get past the torturous repetition.
Nov 13, 2022 5:57 PM
Oct 2022
[incoherent screaming] SHE BROKE THE CYCLE BUT AKIO COULDN'T IM INSANE FOREVER THIS SHOW IS THE BEST
Nov 27, 2022 11:36 AM
May 2022
I think japanese people just loooooove endings like these. I find this ending as epic and dramatic as it suits the show. It is a delight to see Anthy being free. Though I wished for kiss lol. And also for Utena and Anthy to get to know each other more. I mean, Utena othwerwise seemed naive in saving a girl she doesn't really know. The same mistake Anthy did with Dios/Akio. But I guess this kind of love and then growing up and meeting again in 10 years is also typical japanese culture. Well at least in Anime.
I am pretty satisfied though. The ending was a little short though in means of tightening friendships (the badminton scene was so beautiful. I needed more of that) and there was no kiss though.
Dec 25, 2022 6:54 AM

Dec 2022
This was a good ending.

So, the whole time Utena thought that she wanted to be a prince because she was so impressed by a prince from her childhood. It turns out, she wanted to save Anthy all along.

After all of the duels and all she has been through, Anthy tells her, that Utena can't be a prince and save her only because she is a woman. No matter how capable Utena is, she is not enough for Anthy.

Behind the gate, Utena sees another version of Anthy. Maybe, it is the real one, the one, who doesn't have to play the role of a martyr.

"The Revolution" would be a break from the trauma Anthy has been suffering from, somebody would become her prince and free her.

Anthy wasn't ready to let go of her identity as a martyr and her trauma. She held on to the dream of "the prince" who would save her, who HAD to be a man. (By the way, this is a popular fantasy that has been documented in psychology, check out "The Eden Project: In Search of the Magical Other" by James Hollis).

In the end, Anthy realizes, that betraying Utena and not recognizing her power just because she was a woman was wrong. Anthy sabotaged her own freedom. She goes on a search for Utena, which symbolizes her path to healing and freedom. Anthy chooses to finish what Utena has intended to do but failed: liberating and healing Anthy. Thus, even though Utena is dead, she still lives in Anthy's mind.
Alice_HuxleyDec 25, 2022 11:44 AM
Jan 4, 2023 11:09 PM

Nov 2022
Coffin is a metaphor for a fixed role in life. Utena opening Anthy coffin kind of saved her from this role in life. Anthy abandoned her role as Rose Bride and left Akio

This one is more of simple metaphors of this show. If you do not get this one, you probably do not get the rest of the show as well.

Some other stuff like story about prince and a which by Kashira Girls would require much longer explanation.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
May 13, 2023 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
Mixed feelings. There are things I like about the anime and things I didn't. However, the things I didn't like outweigh what I actually ended up enjoying.

There were times I wish the message of womanhood and abuse wasn't an escapade of wishy-washy, dreamy metaphors. The characters are very unlikable, especially the males. Anthy is the only character I actually like and found a lot of complexity in. The way characters treated her abuse, whether by downplaying it or ignoring it, was horrible. Twice she was victim blamed for being sexually assaulted, it was frustrating!

I'm glad that Anthy saved herself in the end, even though Utena let a little hope in. Anthy made the decision to start healing on her own.

While the visuals were stunning, I quickly grew tired of recycled animation. The combat was dull, Utena had only a handful of moves but her opponents were always outmatched by her. I think she only lost once in the entire show. I kept thinking, why bother? The whole Black Rose arc felt unnecessary. I could have thought of a dozen more ways to flesh out background characters rather than exploiting their weaknesses for the extra drama. Leaving them hollow and lesser than they were before by the end of it. There's so much more about this anime that tries to break away from stereotypes.. in all the wrong ways. Leaving a trail of irony here and there. NOTHING compares to the amount of incestuous fixation attached to this anime. There are three pairs of siblings in which some weird, grotesque romantic narrative revolves around. From sexual abuse to jealously and envy. One character is in jealous contemplation that the love of her life is involved with his own sister. When the poor girl is more than obviously being assaulted by him! The physical violence gets shoved to the background of conversations like- maybe she deserved it or lovers quarreling. What!?

It's a shame considering the unique themes lying just beneath the surface.
Jul 9, 2023 7:43 PM
Feb 2021
That was definitely an ending. Considering Anthy stabbed Utena during the last episode, I'm really kinda disappointed.

Like, I get that Utena enjoyed being friends with Anthy and loved her as well, but like Anthy is really fucked. She sacrificed herself for her brother for whatever reason and like, it took Utena actually defying death to save her. 

Anthy really brings the story as a whole down quite a bit. She feels way too sinister considering she's always lying about her emotions to Akio, but that even carries over towards Utena so much of the time. I liked them together a lot in the first few arcs, but their relationship and character development feels kinda lacking, especially in comparison to the side characters. Really, if Nanami, Juli, and Miki weren't in the show, it would've been kinda boring.

It was always interesting to see the unflinching Utena face them, but the show would've worked so much better if Utena and Anthy got any sort of significant development in the last arc. The entire arc seemed to be aimed at making Akio and Touga out to be the most fucked people on Earth so that Utena looks good. That's always fine, but I can't be certain that Utena's not just going to end up like Akio. Himemiya is more than capable of sacrificing herself for Utena, and that would probably fuck Utena up pretty bad. 

Still, the show was a banger for the most part, just could've used a bit of a better last arc. 
Jul 25, 2023 7:02 AM
Feb 2023
"you can never be my prince because you are a girl" Alright then i'm getting the rope and chair.... anyways i wrte this while watchint th ep now here are my thoughts after finishing it: what the f*ck??????ðmfnjkdfhjwhcjwhcjkejcihcjoeb lmao 
Oct 9, 2023 8:42 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
Well not to fun to watch for me especially the last 9 episode when seeing utena act like that really piss me off, overly overated in my opinion damn it just 6/10 for me (hoping to get a decent story with that high score made me expecting to much for this anime)
Destroyer31Oct 9, 2023 8:46 PM
Oct 21, 2023 11:33 AM
Oct 2020
Anthy leaving Akio dumbfounded was great.
Oct 29, 2023 3:41 AM
Dec 2010
I hate open endings. In the end, it's not clear if Utena survived or was buried by a thousand angry swords. The fact that she's starting to be forgotten as a Mikage implies that she did die. Only Anfey's words speak against it, but this traitorous rat has been hypocritical and manipulative throughout the series, so she might as well have lied just to make her brother unpleasant. Especially after the 38th episode with the stab in the back, only an idiot would believe that rat. I'm sorry Utena went to so much trouble to save such a despicable character.

I understand those who are so pissed off with the ending that they give the whole anime a 3/10. However, for me Utena is still a very good piece of work that raises deep themes, but the ending really left me unsatisfied.

I'll give the work itself a 7/10. Nanami and Juri are the best characters in the series. Every appearance of them is a joy and their arcs are just gracious
FairisOct 29, 2023 7:45 AM
Nov 16, 2023 5:23 PM
Jul 2019
I will never understand the apologists of this show. There's a reason it's not considered a classic. The ending was absolutely terrible. Literally nothing of importance happened and everyone went back to their lives. Probably the worst ending to an amime ever.
Nov 27, 2023 11:26 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Comander-07
Epic finale. Didnt expect it to be so bitter. Sure its all about growing up and facing reality, which is why Utena left the school and Anthy is going to find her. But its bitter that everyone seems to forget her. And there wasnt even a final scene with Utena and Wakaba.
Really liked the ending. But it leaves a very bitter taste for me.

But the show overall.. Was way too long. Imo it would be way better if it was a single cour and more focused. In the end the side characters didnt matter, all that time wasted on Jury and Micky and Nanami.
Utena in the beginning was portrayed as heavily idolized by all the girls and probably boys too, the party episode really showed how epic she is. But that introduction slowly faded away over the next 30+ episodes and it grew weaker and weaker, we saw Utena never as strong as this again which is a shame.
I really had to force myself to continue watching this, not that it wasnt good, but I needed an entire month. Really I was expecting to go through this in a week or so and thats what would be better imo because you cant forget anything so easily.
Its definitely a show you need to watch multiple times, the symbolism is just too strong. But for that its too long.

I wonder if there is a connection between the old fencing club president and what happened to Utena. Both were "hospitalized" which means they were out of school and as far as Im aware the school is the magical place were you dont age. Also as we saw Akio intended to run this thing again which probably also means he ran it before.
Also I wonder what would have happened if anyone else ultimately won the duels, maybe even Touga in the end. What would have been Akios plan then?

Im looking forward to the movie now because I expect it to be way more focused. Not like they have much chance to stray off path with 2h compared to 39 episodes. Though I also think 2h might be too short for this. Reallly one cour would be perfect.

Its hard for me to rate this show. Its just so unique and unusual. Its brave and I respect that a lot, but it just didnt catch me enough to really give it a high rating and its just way too long which watered down the experience quite a bit.
@Comander-07 To understand it better, watch Princess Tutu. Basically, the school is a fairy tale. When characters come into that world, everyone treats it like it's normal, no matter what. When they leave, it's a normal thing that's forgotten. That's the nature of fairy tales. Once the character has moved on, that's it for their story.
Nov 27, 2023 11:28 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to ADreamofBlue
It's finally over. Is Utena dead or alive? Who knows? I'll choose to think she's dead. I appreciate what this show tried to do and the ideas it brought forth, but this story absolutely did not need 39 episodes. I'd constantly heard/read this was a masterpiece when I got in to anime 8.5 years ago at this point and I'm disappointed. The amount of filler, dropped plot points, and reused footage just really started to wear away at my motivation to keep watching. A lot of the characters, as well, just weren't likable to me. Giving it a 6. I'm hoping the movie is better than the show (and from what I understand it's a similar situation to the Escaflowne TV series and movie, in that they're not really related to one another).
@ADreamofBlue She's alive. She's just an adult.
Nov 27, 2023 11:59 PM

Apr 2017
If you don't understand the ending, then watch episode 22.

Look at Anthy and Tokiko. Both of them have hats on, and their hair is down and curly. They are both outside of the school, living a normal life. Akio and Tokiko confirm that Tokiko is outside of the fairytale world with the following dialogue:

From that same episode, Mikage walks past her, as if he doesn't know her:

They walk past each other. She turns around to look back at him. He keeps going. This is strange, since he's doing all of this for her. He fell in love with her. Yet he doesn't spare a passing glance to her. This confirms that once they leave they fairytale world, people don't remember them.

In a way, the school is a coffin. Once again, the dialogue confirms:

They liken the school to a coffin, but the coffin is a metaphor of prison or being trapped. Tokiko comes back to school, to visit her brother's grave (coffin). Himemiya tells her brother than he can stay inside this cozy coffin. Saionji tells Touga that even if the Chairman did rescue Utena, she's still in a coffin. Basically, Utena is still running from reality. Though she traded one coffin for another.

With all this symbolism, it comes to a head when Anthy confronts Akio.

This is the confusing part. Utena isn't dead. She's just vanished from their world. That school is full of people who haven't moved on. They continue to live in a fantasy world, cut off from reality. That's why Utena isn't remembered. She just left the fantasy world, and decided to grow up. Utena isn't staying in her coffin and playing prince, she's growing up. Just like Anthy isn't playing the prince anymore, she's growing up.

Nov 28, 2023 12:06 AM

Apr 2017
Another comment to show everyone moving on. Juri actually points to this is her story. Juri talks about a boy who tried to rescue her sister, yet he failed to do so. Her sister forgets his name, and so does Juri. Similar to the people forgetting Utena. I'm assuming that the boy was the Utena of his world. Tried to save the princess, Juri's sister, but failed. So he rescued himself. Considering that Juri's sister isn't around anymore, I'm sure she chose the path of Anthy, where she later on freed herself.

Then an interesting thing is the cycles. Keiko and the girls, Nanami's old lackeys, are now the most popular girls. Nanami grew up from that immaturity, and decided to stay with her group and not be toxic. Though all hope isn't lost for Keiko and her girls, because they reject the advances of some men. Wakaba is with her Onion Prince, which means that she isn't chasing playboys anymore. In fact, she's becoming another Utena! A girl jumps on her and does the same thing she did to Utena. It seems that she'll be the next one leaving, along with her Onion Prince. It also seems like she'll be the main character of her own anime!

Juri is now the captain, and Shiori is on her team. Their relationship is obviously improving. Touga and Saionji stopped chasing after women. They have their true friendship, and Nanami is with them. Implying a healthy friendship with them. Miki also made up with his sister, and they're friends with Mitsuri, the kid who used to chase after Nanami. Basically, they're stuck in the loop, but not all hope is lost. They're in the same fairytale, but they're playing different roles.
Nov 28, 2023 12:43 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to LuxuriousHeart
@Comander-07 To understand it better, watch Princess Tutu. Basically, the school is a fairy tale. When characters come into that world, everyone treats it like it's normal, no matter what. When they leave, it's a normal thing that's forgotten. That's the nature of fairy tales. Once the character has moved on, that's it for their story.
@LuxuriousHeart Thx for the reply even after all that time, certainly takes me back to when I watched this. Reading my comment.. now I sometimes need a year to watch shorter shows lol.
I dont remember the names of the characters or the plot much, but if its about growing out of your teenage fantasy, whats the point/plan of the guy .. (I dont even remember what his position was or what he was doing, I mean the brother who fought Utena.)

PS: What happened for this show to suddenly become so popular again? Thats a lot of comments in the last 2 years!
Nov 30, 2023 3:58 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to Comander-07
@LuxuriousHeart Thx for the reply even after all that time, certainly takes me back to when I watched this. Reading my comment.. now I sometimes need a year to watch shorter shows lol.
I dont remember the names of the characters or the plot much, but if its about growing out of your teenage fantasy, whats the point/plan of the guy .. (I dont even remember what his position was or what he was doing, I mean the brother who fought Utena.)

PS: What happened for this show to suddenly become so popular again? Thats a lot of comments in the last 2 years!
@Comander-07 He wanted to open the door to eternity, and revolutionize the world. The movie kind of touches on this. Akio can only play the prince at their school. Though outside of their school, he's a normal person. I think he wants to bring the logic of the school, into reality.
Nov 30, 2023 1:51 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to LuxuriousHeart
@Comander-07 He wanted to open the door to eternity, and revolutionize the world. The movie kind of touches on this. Akio can only play the prince at their school. Though outside of their school, he's a normal person. I think he wants to bring the logic of the school, into reality.
@LuxuriousHeart I have absolutely no idea what that means, maybe its been too long. Or rather why did Utena need to fight him? Whats the issue with his plan?
Nov 30, 2023 11:58 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Comander-07
@LuxuriousHeart I have absolutely no idea what that means, maybe its been too long. Or rather why did Utena need to fight him? Whats the issue with his plan?
@Comander-07 The one who won the duel was the one with the power to open the door, supposedly. Yet that proved wrong because even when he got her sword and won the duel, the door still didn't open. In that way, the door to eternity wasn't real, per se. The door to eternity was basically the door to reality. Stop living in the fantasy world, and go out into reality. And Anthy's true body was behind that door, and she couldn't leave unless SHE decided to leave the fantasy world behind.
Mar 6, 4:48 PM

Aug 2021
im kinda speechless
i get why this is such an important show
got me thinking a lot about agency, femininity, submission, sisterhood, girlhood and womanhood, and love of course
im really thinking this is ahead of its time in a way, i think its getting popular again because more people are nowadays better equipped to understand and talk about the shows social commentary (woke is mainstream)
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.