Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 13, 2013 4:52 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Life between 4 friends begins. lol @ the English teacher. Did this become 4 coma style all of the sudden (in the middle)? The British girl is so cute with rabbit ear.

ED clip is nice. Seems like 5th girl (Touyama-san's character) is appearing next ep.?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 13, 2013 6:06 AM

Nov 2007
As cute as ever! I really like all the good sounding Engrish in this episode xD

They even mentioned moe (萌え) in this episode wwwww

Can't wait for the next episode, and the ED was great too.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jul 13, 2013 6:41 AM

Nov 2008
Alice is so cute in bunny ears and the Engrish quality is still good as always and the mentioning of moe just describes this series much less this episode in detail, The ED was excellent especially in the visuals which makes it a bit orginal and fits the jazzy song.

Jul 13, 2013 7:24 AM

Apr 2013
Alice is so damn cute :3

The new ED was great.

Always-HungryJul 14, 2013 12:48 AM
Jul 13, 2013 8:29 AM

May 2012
Yuri subtext levels were out the roof!! Aya definitely likes Yoko! Not sure how Yoko feels about it.

Lol, Shinobu thinking Alice was going to confess to her xD

Lots of great scenes~

And, THAT ENDING SONG!

SO....Gooood o_o
Jul 13, 2013 8:34 AM

Dec 2011

Funny. That's exactly how I would describe her English.

Shinobu and Alice are perfect matches for one another. Both absolutely obsessed with the other's country. Although, considering that, there''s surprisingly little conversation about that sort of thing.
kuuderes_shadowJul 13, 2013 8:41 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 13, 2013 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Well, someone sure loves Japan from this series lol.

Shinobu is cute. Isami is pretty. Hell, all the girls looks kawaii in this series. Lmao, Aya-chan forgot her what? Silly girl even though she's intelligent. Ending was funny. Mood killed~

Jul 13, 2013 9:49 AM

May 2010
Woah, I like Isami.

3 centimetres since elementary school xD That was so cute.

I hope Alice keeps speaking English since those moments are funny. Her rival xD

"Who came up with that?"
"I did"

xD

I feel sorry for Aya, standing for 1 hour. Shinobu cosplayed as a foreigner xD When she was reading the newspaper xD xD xD She draws awesome circle. Her kinpatsu xD xD xD

Sleepy sensei is the best! Yoko as a idol was cute. Aya just erased what she had wrote i.e. Bride. That's just too cute. I am her fan now xD

Alice looked cute as a bunny girl.

"More than rabbits or hamsters?" Hell yeah, Alice! I love you more than them and this is me saying when rabbits are one of my fav. animals.

Aya you ruined the mood and I love you even more xD

That ending song is awesome!

9/10

TragicRomanceJul 13, 2013 9:59 AM
Jul 13, 2013 9:59 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:

I wonder if the Japanese viewers see the same humor in that as some of us do? :D

(though, I fully admit and appreciate that Manami Tanaka is doing a great job with a difficult task)
Jul 13, 2013 10:00 AM

Sep 2012
Ejc said:
As cute as ever! I really like all the good sounding Engrish in this episode xD
They even mentioned moe (萌え) in this episode wwwww
Let's take a look at the scene:

And Alice orz !!
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 13, 2013 10:05 AM

May 2012
Cratex said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

I wonder if the Japanese viewers see the same humor in that as some of us do? :D

(though, I fully admit and appreciate that Manami Tanaka is doing a great job with a difficult task)

Yeah, for actual native speakers it definitely sounds awkward at times, but she's doing an amazing job really!
Jul 13, 2013 10:13 AM

Sep 2009
hahaha, shino's so funny the whole episode XD
trying to be a foreigner. interpreter. wants to dye her hair into blonde :D

lol @the end .. ahahaha "It's probably going to Tokyo..."
Jul 13, 2013 10:33 AM

May 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:

lol.
Jul 13, 2013 10:34 AM

Jan 2013
The ED is amazing.
Jul 13, 2013 10:34 AM

Nov 2012
Lol, wasn't sure if I wanted to continue watching this show but man that was really entertaining, enjoyed all the foreigner talk. XD Also, lol at actually writing bride. lol "Full on maiden mode". Great SOL show.

Jul 13, 2013 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm... Still the best english in a anime since I started watching anime thats for sure.

Also...

Dont u worry... is what I would be saying.
Jul 13, 2013 10:41 AM

Aug 2010
That ED was great.
Jul 13, 2013 10:42 AM

Mar 2012
When I saw Alice eating natto I expected them to make some sort of gag about it. From what I hear, it's a common stereotype in Japan that foreigners can't stand natto. I guess they just used it to show that she went full-on native.

Do they actually use the metric system for measuring people's heights in the UK? Pretty sure they didn't last time I was there.
Jul 13, 2013 10:50 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
vonPeterhof said:
When I saw Alice eating natto I expected them to make some sort of gag about it. From what I hear, it's a common stereotype in Japan that foreigners can't stand natto. I guess they just used it to show that she went full-on native.

Haha I thought so too. I personally love natto, but I was surprised that Alice seems to like it :)

I guess Alice loves Shinobu that much just to go to Japan to go to school with her :O And Shinobu is trying hard to learn English lol.
Jul 13, 2013 11:00 AM

Aug 2010
This show is just too adorable! >_<

Alice is so cute!

Aya writing "Bride" was sooo cute!
I would totally want to propose to her like that XD

And this time it had quite a lot of funny moments too XD
Barion-ZaraJul 13, 2013 11:31 AM
Jul 13, 2013 11:02 AM

Jul 2012
Of course, Alice could learn english and went to study in Japan and Shinobu only know "Hello". What are they doing in this english classes?
Jul 13, 2013 11:09 AM
Oct 2012
The great thing about this show is that every time it seems about to turn too sugary, they pull out a joke, a dark comment, or some other bizarre statement to treat the hyperglycemia.

It also does the foreigner living in Japan pretty well. One of the little gags I enjoyed was when Yoko, when they were trying to combat Alice's "homesickness" complimented her on how she raised her hand. That is very Nippoppoi. They want to say something nice, no matter how trivial the compliment, which, if you are not aware of this desire, often comes off sounding strange.
Jul 13, 2013 11:13 AM

Jan 2012
All this cuteness just made my day brighter.

Jul 13, 2013 11:18 AM
Oct 2012
Misiakk said:
Of course, Alice could learn english and went to study in Japan and Shinobu only know "Hello". What are they doing in this english classes?

Ah, welcome to the world of Japanese education.

First, for the most part, classes stick together, it is the teachers that rotate. So since Alice is in the class, and the class takes English (mandatory subject), Alice takes English.

Second, one of the big jokes of this series is that Shinobu loves foreign things, but is completely incompetent in learning the language. If you are questioning this, you probably need to go to the doctor and get your sense of humor checked.

Third, having taught English in Japan, language instruction is mostly grammar. The Japanese as a stereotype are extremely nervous to speak English, as such "hello" and "how are you" is the best they can do even after six years of instruction. It's a mindset thing, foreigners even if they can only speak 3 or 4 words will proudly exclaim that they can "speak Japanese", the Japanese, if they haven't mastered the past participle future tense will deny that they can speak any English. In that confidence (and shamelessness) are the most important things in learning to speak a foreign language, this puts the Japanese at a disadvantage when it comes to learning, and particularly speaking a foreign language.

Of course this is a stereotype, there are many Japanese who speak English well, but just because it is a stereotype doesn't mean it isn't true.
Jul 13, 2013 11:22 AM

Aug 2010
My heart...when Alice got the usamimis I seriously thought I was going to get a heart attack. I love the antics of Aya and Youko. "Be my wife" I'm supporting this wholeheartedly. 5/5.
Jul 13, 2013 11:30 AM

Feb 2013

She is doing an awesome job. I kept replaying her Engrish scenes over and over again! And, from what I know, Tanaka Manami spent a year in England. That is probably why her Engrish is really good :D
~-~-~Nankurunaisa~-~-~
Jul 13, 2013 11:43 AM

Jul 2010
This is such a fun anime to watch. All the girls are likeable but Alice takes the cake at times. I always get a kick when happy music is playing and then suddenly, something awkward happens or is said, completely killing the mood.
Jul 13, 2013 12:17 PM

Apr 2010
There is only one bad thing about this anime and that is that i have to wait for next week for the next episode.
I am really loving this anime it's so much fun to watch.
Takuan_Soho said:

Third, having taught English in Japan, language instruction is mostly grammar. The Japanese as a stereotype are extremely nervous to speak English, as such "hello" and "how are you" is the best they can do even after six years of instruction. It's a mindset thing, foreigners even if they can only speak 3 or 4 words will proudly exclaim that they can "speak Japanese", the Japanese, if they haven't mastered the past participle future tense will deny that they can speak any English. In that confidence (and shamelessness) are the most important things in learning to speak a foreign language, this puts the Japanese at a disadvantage when it comes to learning, and particularly speaking a foreign language.

Of course this is a stereotype, there are many Japanese who speak English well, but just because it is a stereotype doesn't mean it isn't true.
Speaking a foreign language for the first time especially against a native speaker can be nerve wrecking.
Many people are afraid they say the wrong things when doing so.
English is my second language and i know from experience that most native native English speakers will forgive you if you say a wrong word by accident or don't know a word.
I am also from a culture where it's normal to hear English TV shows and such aren't dubbed here but subbed and it's normal to hear English music on the radio.
Which does give a boost in confidence and knowledge especially when engaging in a conversation for the first time.

I am currently learning my third language German which you hear less in my country than English so i also hear less reference to the language.
I also started leaning German pretty recently so i don't have the confidence yet to talk with a native speaker.
Plus German grammar is hard.

In any case from what i am able to tell English isn't spoken that often on Japanese TV and most likely like Germany and France many English movies and shows get dubbed to the native language.
Meaning the Japanese don't have much references and confidence boosts in the language.
From what i am able to tell from your post is that the Japanese mindset is a bit shy and doesn't like failure so making a few mistakes in their English is something they have a hard time excepting.
Jul 13, 2013 12:28 PM

Oct 2011
Somehow it felt weaker this time - still most of the time it was fun and I liked the jokes.
Want more of that teacher :) I have no idea what she wanted to do with those ears but it was good.

Still ep 1 was more heartwarming to me: I wasn't expecting second Tamayura here but well... it's still pretty decent comedy with a lot of potential.
Jul 13, 2013 12:29 PM

Nov 2012
damn.. my body is ready for the sub :p
I will watch this for sure :p
Jul 13, 2013 12:57 PM

Aug 2012
So much MOE!

Jul 13, 2013 1:31 PM

Jan 2012
We got Mugi 2.0 and Azusa 2.0 in this anime. Heck yes!
Jul 13, 2013 1:36 PM

Jul 2009
Alice is is so cute as always!

and shino's cosplay made laugh so hard xD!
5/5 for this episode!
Jul 13, 2013 1:44 PM

Jan 2008
All that Youko and Aya shipping.
Jul 13, 2013 1:57 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Japanese, English, and my Personal Experience - I spent two weeks vacation in Japan last November. I've been learning Japanese, and by then while I couldn't carry on a conversation I was good enough to do the 'basics'. While I was in Matsumoto it was getting cold enough, particularly at night, that I wanted to get a hat that covered my ears, so I did a bit of shopping. In one place I stopped I asked the clerk for help and was able to tell him what I was looking for, in (broken) Japanese. We found what I was looking for, I tried a couple with different colors on and I asked him his opinion, and decided to buy one, all in Japanese. As we were at the cash register and he rung it up and told me the price, I asked if a credit card was Okay and he said yes, so I handed him one. He then said something to me I completely couldn't understand. We tried a few times of him saying it and me not getting it, and then finally he pulled out his smart phone, stood beside me, and typed out in English "will that be credit or debit?"
Jul 13, 2013 1:58 PM

Jun 2011
The cuteness is going to kill me. MOEEEEEEEEEE!
Not we know where that came from.
Source: Shinobu
Jul 13, 2013 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
It's not even just the cuteness that makes me love this show so much, but the interactions too.

Its not just the girls talking about random crap, everything they're joking around about and being all cute about plays along with the theme of the show, and damn does it work well.

Seriously, this is one of my most enjoyed shows of the season.
Jul 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Jul 2010
I just had an overdose of moe.
Jul 13, 2013 2:36 PM

Oct 2011
Thank you for that lesson on "moe" I feel enlighten : 0
Jul 13, 2013 2:45 PM

Apr 2009
This episode just gave me diabetes.
Jul 13, 2013 3:57 PM

Aug 2011
All that kawaii moe desu.

I like.
Jul 13, 2013 4:04 PM

Oct 2012
Too sweet. <3
Jul 13, 2013 4:14 PM

Nov 2011
There really should be a law to regulate the amount of moe in a show, this is just too much.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 13, 2013 5:52 PM

Feb 2013
Cratex said:
Japanese, English, and my Personal Experience - I spent two weeks vacation in Japan last November. I've been learning Japanese, and by then while I couldn't carry on a conversation I was good enough to do the 'basics'. While I was in Matsumoto it was getting cold enough, particularly at night, that I wanted to get a hat that covered my ears, so I did a bit of shopping. In one place I stopped I asked the clerk for help and was able to tell him what I was looking for, in (broken) Japanese. We found what I was looking for, I tried a couple with different colors on and I asked him his opinion, and decided to buy one, all in Japanese. As we were at the cash register and he rung it up and told me the price, I asked if a credit card was Okay and he said yes, so I handed him one. He then said something to me I completely couldn't understand. We tried a few times of him saying it and me not getting it, and then finally he pulled out his smart phone, stood beside me, and typed out in English "will that be credit or debit?"

Lol, I cracked up at this. That's just hilarious.
Jul 13, 2013 6:29 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Alice-chan, my favorite! :3

For this week's episode, all I can say is "HHHNNNNNNNNNNNGGG--" <3333

I don't really mind if I die from moe overdose. ;D
Jul 13, 2013 6:50 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Kami_no_Kage said:
Lol, I cracked up at this. That's just hilarious.
I'm not shy, and I tried as much as possible to talk to people in what little Japanese I knew - whether it was older ladies on the train returning from a hot springs getaway in the Japan Alps or the young waitresses of a bar in Nagoya, it was fun. Often, however, at first I sometimes got a reaction that was some variation on "I'm sorry, I don't speak English"... in English. Usually, with a little effort, I could convince those people I actually understood a little bit, but I was a bit bemused at the number of times I got that sort of reaction....And then, the week I after I got back I watched the next episode of "Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo" where the main character Sorata is started by an obvious English woman speaking perfect Japanese at him and he panics and stammers in bad English "I do not speak English". I realized then and there that the anime trope of poking fun at Japanese people regarding English was based on reality :D
Jul 13, 2013 7:01 PM

Jul 2013
Alice with rabbit ears too kawaii. (*´∀`*)
Jul 13, 2013 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
Cratex said:
I realized then and there that the anime trope of poking fun at Japanese people regarding English was based on reality :D

The Japanese believe that Japanese is so difficult that only a native Japanese can ever learn it. Again that is a stereotype that just because it is stereotype doesn't mean that it isn't true :-)

I think it is tied into another aspect of the Japanese that I have told people about. A lot of foreigners have told me that they thought that a lot of Japanese are xenophobic because they would completely ignore a foreigner if they approached them. I explain that to the Japanese stopping means that they are committed, if they stop to help they will stay with you until they know that you have been helped, no matter how much time or energy it takes. For the Japanese if they commit, they totally commit. So if a person is busy they will ignore you rather than acknowledge you and then politely put you off, because to acknowledge means that they can't put you off.

If you understand this, then understanding a lot about the Japanese becomes easier to understand. So when you speak Japanese to them two things are in play: one, even though more foreigners have learned Japanese, most Japanese just assume that the foreigner can't speak Japanese, and two, when you approach them they get nervous, because if you need something then they are committed, so they are already prepared to say "sorry, don't understand", so that when you speak Japanese it takes a while for them to get it.

One could say that this is a fault of the Japanese, but I can't tell you the number of times when a Japanese person is so incredibly helpful (though you probably already know). When you realize that they are incapable of doing things "half-assed", it makes the "ignoring" easier to understand.
Jul 13, 2013 7:34 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
The Japanese believe that Japanese is so difficult that only a native Japanese can ever learn it. Again that is a stereotype that just because it is stereotype doesn't mean that it isn't true :-)
Having also studied Spanish and German, I think I can state with some reasonable qualifications that learning to speak Japanese is, if anything, easy. It is certainly easier than English (and I'm a native speaker).

Certainly learning to read and write Japanese is difficult (I am fairly good at hiragana, learning katakana, but knowing only about 50 kanji means that for all practical purposes I'm still illiterate), but I assert that learning to read and write English is probably just as difficult. The difference is, the manner of the difficulty is different for the two languages. Broadly speaking, English is a half dozen rules and thousands of exceptions. Broadly speaking, Japanese is a half dozen rules and thousands of characters.

Takuan_Soho said:
One could say that this is a fault of the Japanese, but I can't tell you the number of times when a Japanese person is so incredibly helpful (though you probably already know). When you realize that they are incapable of doing things "half-assed", it makes the "ignoring" easier to understand.
There were two main things I took away from my two weeks in Japan. One, it was very, very clean (and I poked my nose into some out of the way places). Two, for a people whom it would seem have justification for hating Americans, at the end of every day I was there I felt special.

After I checked my luggage and started for the gate for my return trip I suddenly realized my pocket knife was still in my pocket. I walked back to the checkin counter and offered to give them the pocket knife for somebody to keep or throw away. The woman behind the counter simply wouldn't accept that. At first she started to prepare a small box to put the pocket knife in as a checked 'bag', but upon realizing that I had already checked two bags and would be charged extra for the third luggage item she insisted on running back to the luggage processing area and retrieving one of my bags so I could slip the pocket knife into it.

I was speechless.
CratexJul 13, 2013 7:38 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kiniro Mosaic Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Jul 6, 2013

208 by Daviljoe193 »»
Apr 8, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Kiniro Mosaic Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Sep 21, 2013

183 by Nex1014 »»
Mar 8, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Kiniro Mosaic Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 17, 2013

73 by ChibiiiAlex »»
Feb 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Kiniro Mosaic Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 7, 2013

69 by DragonX11 »»
Sep 24, 2023 4:36 AM

Poll: » Kiniro Mosaic Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 31, 2013

90 by DragonX11 »»
Sep 2, 2023 8:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.