Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2009 10:39 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
ugh. this episode gave me a headache. doesn't seem that good so far. and what was up with that thing at the end? O.o
Apr 4, 2010 1:17 AM

Feb 2008
the blond was a bit of a bitch, not that she was wrong or anything, I just think she could have been nicer about it. also, I think she should have been angrier at the owner for sending a complete amateur out on stage to perform a routine she'd never seen before that required such intricate group interaction, than she was at the amateur for not understanding what was being asked of her. her chances of success were exactly 0, unless she was a manga character granted a god given gift to perform miracles on stage. which thankfully, she wasn't.

but the real problem I had with it was the roller blades. those things take at least 5 mins to put on and the wheels on them would have kept her from bouncing on those tarps even if they had been both strong enough and elastic enough to act as trampolines, which they wouldn't have been since they're normally made from either plastic or cloth.

those things aside, I rather liked it and hope it'll be worth finishing.
Aug 20, 2010 5:57 AM

Sep 2008
jacobpaige said:
but the real problem I had with it was the roller blades. those things take at least 5 mins to put on and the wheels on them would have kept her from bouncing on those tarps even if they had been both strong enough and elastic enough to act as trampolines, which they wouldn't have been since they're normally made from either plastic or cloth.

those things aside, I rather liked it and hope it'll be worth finishing.

Agree about the rollerblades. I rollerblade all the time and to put them on properly, you at least need a couple of minutes to get laced up and adjust the straps to the correct tightness... (Guess it depends on the blades though. Maybe she had newbie blades or something?) But the bouncing-off-of-tarps part was kind of far-fetched.

I didn't like blondie either. D: Some of her arguments were perfectly sensible, but she didn't have to be... so mean about conveying her concerns and arguments and such.

I still liked it though. Not sure how it'll turn out since it's supposedly 51 episodes... Guess I'll just have to test it out for a bit to see how they plan on filling up these 51 episodes.
Dec 17, 2011 10:51 PM

Jun 2009
I'm getting good vibes from this series. Sure, the roller blade scene was kind of ridiculous...but other than that the episode hit all the right notes for me. I think I'm going to quite like Sora and the series itself, hopefully I'll be right.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 6, 2012 10:53 PM

Apr 2011
This series reminds me of kenichi but instead of fighting it's about stage performing.
Jun 1, 2013 6:50 AM

Feb 2011
Episode was good nevertheless , animation was okay , and Sora is pretty kawaii.
Aug 20, 2013 8:06 PM

Nov 2011
Sora is a cutie in that bunny suit tbh. Layla is pretty but damn it, her personality is absolute shit. Overall, cute episode I guess. I like the premise, setting, and what's presented so far. It also kinda reminds me of Princess Tutu in some way.

Oh and good thing she passed.
Jun 28, 2014 5:01 AM

Aug 2013
Good start :) I didn't see the fantasy tag so when the Fool talked I was like wth?! I thought this was going to be like Glass Mask haha.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 2, 2015 8:37 AM

Dec 2012
Talk about bizarre. I picked this up because I was interested in seeing some more works by Sato Junichi and this just caught my eye. I mean how could it not with a premise like that? A fun start and it's a good sign when the first episode can get some laughs out of me. And hey, Sora did that bunny outfit way more justice than the other girl.
Jul 10, 2016 11:19 PM

Apr 2009
This is a nice intro episode to set things up. For an anime to make me cringe says something.
Sora fits that ordinary girl with an extraordinary talent archetype to a T and I wonder how they'll characterize her.
I'm not really into the supernatural stuff (spirit of the stage), but I'll keep my mind open.
Also, the score is really well done (the bit at the 17:00 mark is wonderful).
mell4444Jul 10, 2016 11:24 PM
Sep 3, 2016 4:09 PM

Jun 2011
This is my second time watching the series. If anyone is getting cold feet, just hang on for a couple more eps at least. This show is such a unique, heartwarming, inspirational gem. And Fool adds just the right amount of spice to it.

I thought the rollerblade scene--though implausible--was quite epic. Having a random kid toss you his blades so you can free-run after the guy that stole your luggage? How badass is that??

Forgot how much of a twat Layla is here. She thinks she speaks for the whole circus, but she's really just pompous. She had every right to be mad at Sora's performance and even her getting to skip the auditions but after that she was completely out of bounds. Anyway, Ken is bae ♡-♡
Jul 4, 2017 7:35 PM

Jun 2016
This is adorable and I have high hopes. Very Nana.
Oct 2, 2017 4:59 AM

May 2010
Layla is so annoying, shut up. But Sora takes her word well so I guess it's all for the greater good. Anyways I like this series so far, it's charming.
Nov 28, 2017 3:39 AM
Nov 2017
I consider Kaleido Star a slightly more childlike anime, since many watched it in cartoon network when they were about 10 years, along with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.

I gave it an 8, because it has an interesting and original theme for a more childish audience (but of course you can see it older, just to feel that nostalgia)
Aug 25, 2018 3:52 AM

Mar 2017
I already hate blonde bitch with a passion, but other than that this was a pretty good first episode! I didn't expect the supernatural element of a magic clown dude at all. But this episode was fun and I like the main character. I just hope this won't focus on the drama too much, and there'll be plenty of funny moments. I'll give it a few more episodes at the very least!
Nov 18, 2018 4:29 PM

Jul 2015
That was a very nice first episode! I like Sora's character and the comedy and animation were nice, the performance was both funny and interesting and I'm curious to see how she will do now that she passed, promising start to the story.
Jan 8, 2019 9:07 AM

Apr 2009
This show is a GEM!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2020 9:03 AM

Nov 2018
Can't say a lot about it after just 1 episode, but feels like I'll end up giving it at least 7.
Leyla is not a bitch, she just has that ''I'm the star here and nobody ever dares to spoil my show''.She takes everything seriously, unlike this director who let unknown girl with no experience and practice perform, because... she has nice muscles???Kinda childish unrealistic start for a show that doesn't seem bad.
Sora definetely has problems with directions.Should have taken smbd with herself just to guide her to Kaleido.
I hate everyone equally
Apr 4, 2022 7:50 AM

Aug 2017
This is incredible, I fell in love with this show right away. SatoJun never disappoints! I think Sora (what a symbolic name!) did a decent job given that he basically didn't have any time to prepare for her performance! Carlos is creepy though, what the hell was that "test" or whatever that was on the street. Still, hilarious and very well-animated chase scene. The show looks very good.

P.S. When I first looked at the poster, I thought it was a magical girl anime, but here's something rare and relatively unique!

P.P.S. Some people really can't take a comedic scene with rollerblades huh. By the way, shoujo anime has unrealistic facial expressions! How is that? xD
St0rmbladeApr 4, 2022 8:01 AM
Dec 23, 2022 9:05 PM
Jun 2020
NiteRaving said:
Can't say a lot about it after just 1 episode, but feels like I'll end up giving it at least 7.
Leyla is not a bitch, she just has that ''I'm the star here and nobody ever dares to spoil my show''.She takes everything seriously, unlike this director who let unknown girl with no experience and practice perform, because... she has nice muscles???Kinda childish unrealistic start for a show that doesn't seem bad.
Sora definetely has problems with directions.Should have taken smbd with herself just to guide her to Kaleido.

"Leyla is not a bitch"
Then you basically define what it is to be a bitch lmao. A performer that thinks she runs the whole damn thing. Kinda like the star actor in a movie just firing others because they don't want them. She a bitch lol
Dec 25, 2022 8:21 PM

Apr 2016
This was vigorous and magical, finally giving a chance to properly watch this; it's so nice watching them flip around.
Dec 12, 2023 1:07 PM
Dec 2023
liela is such a bitch. sora and ken are cuties tho

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaleido Star Episode 24 Discussion

gohdan - Feb 4, 2010

7 by Safrichh »»
Feb 27, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Kaleido Star Episode 23 Discussion

gohdan - Feb 3, 2010

9 by Safrichh »»
Feb 11, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Kaleido Star Episode 22 Discussion

gohdan - Feb 3, 2010

13 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:51 PM

Poll: » Kaleido Star Episode 42 Discussion

gohdan - Feb 15, 2010

5 by LotteGiants »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Kaleido Star Episode 34 Discussion

hirahira - Jan 11, 2009

13 by LotteGiants »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.