Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 20, 2013 4:15 PM

Feb 2013
Ponzu! why beautiful girl such her must dying like that... That was too cruel.
May 20, 2013 6:18 PM

Mar 2009
Good ep, but have zero cares for Ponzu. Her character was barely developed at all, so I don't know why I would care.
May 20, 2013 6:24 PM

Apr 2011
nurBAW said:
Ponzu! why beautiful girl such her must dying like that... That was too cruel.
Especially when it looks like Polke and her got it on, I notice how close they're on the horse ride.

I
May 20, 2013 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
joori_Strawberry said:
insan3soldiern said:

To me it's not her death that was so disturbing, indeed I believe most people saw it coming and, yeah, she hadn't appeared in the series all that much. It was how the ant shot her over and over, the complete.....the complete disrespect of a person that was clearly already dead and how you could see her body spasm as he shot her that made me go "oh, damn". It's funny in most series I'd complain about a character who was barely in the show returning just to die like that. But, here I think it was so well done I really don't have much of a problem with it. In fact, I really don't have a problem with it at all.

THIS. I already know she'll die but.. not like that >_<

Edit: I fixed it! yay!

All of the above, also, those who had watched the 1999 version probably felt a stronger connection because she was given more screen time (at least that's what happened to me). I remember I'd genuinely ship Ponzu x Pokkle back in the hunter exam the first time I saw that version.
May 21, 2013 1:34 AM

Oct 2010
wish that HISOKA will arrive at that island and shows chimera ants what cruelty is . It might be fun to see that happening.
May 21, 2013 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
It's finally began, and before any thing else.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was stupid to say I was prepared for this :(
Never really cared much about Ponzu, or Pokkle...
But after this episode, I felt really bad. That scene when Ponzu was shot ;_;
was very melodramatic. The episode captured the manga's spirit very well. Thank God for Madhouse. They're keeping it real and faithful. Not to mention the Gyro flashback. LOVED IT. It was simple but portrayed the chaos playing in the character's mind.
Bravo. Bravo. I can't wait for the next episode, and the episode after that and the episode after that, so on and so forth.

BUT IT'S BECOME DEPRESSING NOW! :(
May 21, 2013 2:37 PM

Jul 2010
Loved the flashback in black and white. Really well-made.

Also, i didn't expect so much brutality. Poor Ponzu.
May 21, 2013 8:16 PM

May 2012
Holy crap, so much death in just one episode. I wasn't expecting that at all, but even so, it was really good but it made me kind of depressed.

May 22, 2013 12:25 AM

Aug 2007
Hmm... can someone tell me what I'm missing in terms of censoring? Everyone is saying it is still brutal so how badly are they censoring this arc?
May 22, 2013 2:50 AM

Mar 2010
Hybridbloodszak said:
@dextronaut

Demo demo they've been trimming, rearranging, and even adding things since the beginning of the series : O

This isn't like the first FMA where the story completely diverges, I don't know any manga adaption or any adaption(tv,books,movies) for the matter that's followed things EXACTLY like it's source to the letter. They've been generally respectful with characters and plot development so I've been satisfied with what Madhouse has been doing even Kite and the Chimera Ants. There's an endgame in sight the studio is working towards and we're one arc away after the current one : )

They aren't adding "filler" to pad time like other long running battle shonen but it is a consequence. From my perspective, it seems Madhouse is trying to make an entertaining ANIME first and foremost. The Chimera Ant arc has always been an exploration of what it means to be human and the extra scenes really mesh well into that theme especially Colt. His character arc so far has been better structured and more defined than the manga. As a result his payoff later is going to be all the more satisfying because of it.

All of the things Madhouse has been fleshing out/laying extra groundwork of are going to enhance plot points down the line, near and distant. Without spoiling anime only viewers, I'll just say keep Gyro's guards at the beginning of the episode in the back of your mind as an example.

no... only 1 arc left and its over...?? you for real im sad now
May 22, 2013 3:33 AM

Aug 2009
at the beginning of the story points to the existential point of reference. In my opinion, creation of similarities and differences played probably his life

and by the way, that I dreamed about it today: (
May 22, 2013 5:29 AM

Jun 2008
tigerz said:
Hmm... can someone tell me what I'm missing in terms of censoring? Everyone is saying it is still brutal so how badly are they censoring this arc?

The anime adaptation is just less gore, and more about off screen violence.

To me, it doesn't make any difference, you can still feel it happening. Heck, I felt more pain when Ponzu died in the anime, in the manga it was just one "bang" and then "chomp-chomp". The anime did a better job making me cringe.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
May 22, 2013 7:24 AM

Apr 2009
So Sad now that
, since she was favorit
May 22, 2013 7:27 AM

Mar 2013
I bet people would be crying if they showed what they did in the mang..

http://www.citymanga.com/files/images/hunter_x_hunter/190/13.jpg
May 22, 2013 4:37 PM

Dec 2007
fishergirl16 said:
This episode was so depressing. ;_; It was just too sad.
Seeing Ponzu die... reminded me of Attack on Titan for a second. It's like, PEOPLE DON'T DIE IN HUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hunter is too happy for that :'( Gon and Killua are supposed to save everyone~~!

Also, the back story for that guy Gyro or whatever confused me. We know nothing about him, literally, and they give us this long (however, well-done) back story, and we find out he died immediately after. So it feels pointless to me right now. Hopefully they will tie it in somehow or Gyro will become important sometime later.

And I really really liked Ponzu. After the Hunter Exam, I was super excited to see her again. I thought her bees were really cool, and I wanted her to join Gon and Killua somehow again. But she had to die. :/ It made me really sad, especially because some stupid ant shot her to death. Waiting for Gon to wreak revenge on those stupid ants.

But lol, this episode was all right to me. I really didn't like it as much as some of the last few. I feel like they're dragging the set up for Gon and Killua too long. I'm hoping for some real action the next episode. Also, it's so dark and depressing! I just want Gon to save the day and smash that stupid chimera ant queen. :(

Surprisingly, for once I didn't thoroughly enjoy a Hunter episode. I hope next week will make up for it!!

3/5

Save who? The only time Gon's ever saved anyone was when he fought and beat Genthru, and THAT cost him an arm. Gon and Killua can barely save themselves from arc to arc, and this time they're up against some of the most vicious killers I've ever seen. It's not just a lack of respect for lives other than their own like the Phantom Troupe--they LITERALLY kill for fun and for food. That means that there's NEVER a save. There's no "let them go, they're not a threat" or "meh, they make me laugh I won't kill them" or even a "If I let them live, I can have a good fight later" or anything approaching that. They just want to murder and chow down.

Plus its not like either of them is especially strong. I'd be surprised if they could beat any of the Ants that can speak.

Lastly, I just want to point out that people who are shocked by the brutality of this series are weird. Anytime you think that, just remember Kastro. AAAAAANY time you think, "this series is a lot darker than it used to be" or something like that, think of Kastro. Because in ANY other shonen series, Kastro would've lived. He had a costume that stood out, he was a LOT better than the main characters, and he had his own special techniques--this was a guy who was supposed to be there after the main characters had left the Tower, waving at them and wishing them luck on their journey, maybe having taught them a neat new technique or something. Instead, where is he? In a grave somewhere. And the main characters didn't even think especially hard on this. THAT'S the kind of universe you're dealing with.

tl;dr: Enjoy the death scenes.

Edit: That having been said, while its not like this series has EVER been "light hearted", make no mistake: this was definitely a whole new level of brutality. The Yorknew arc had deaths by the dozens, but it was REALLY easy to blow those deaths off. Nearly all (if not all) of the people who died, were career killers. They were murderers, or ordered people to murder for them, or worked for people who did the ordering. I can't think of anyone who was killed in that arc (except for maybe like, one person) who didn't have their hands dirty.

But the only thing Pokkle and Ponzu were guilty of was being unprepared in terms of going on an adventure with zero information about the goings-on. You're supposed to feel bad for them, because they haven't done anything to deserve this. Plus, very few of the deaths in this series have been as brutally vicious and visceral as the ones for the Chimera Ant arc. Humans in general can cope with murder for the sake of murder, but death for sustenance is something...different. It's stirs up different emotions for us since we're used to being at the top of the food chain. So in a weird way, props to Togashi for actually managing to find new ways to disturb us while he tells this story lol.
SageShinigamiMay 22, 2013 4:51 PM
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
May 22, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2012
SageShinigami said:
fishergirl16 said:
Seeing Ponzu die... reminded me of Attack on Titan for a second. It's like, PEOPLE DON'T DIE IN HUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hunter is too happy for that :'( Gon and Killua are supposed to save everyone~~!

Lastly, I just want to point out that people who are shocked by the brutality of this series are weird.

Edit: That having been said, while its not like this series has EVER been "light hearted", make no mistake: this was definitely a whole new level of brutality. The Yorknew arc had deaths by the dozens, but it was REALLY easy to blow those deaths off. Nearly all (if not all) of the people who died, were career killers. They were murderers, or ordered people to murder for them, or worked for people who did the ordering. I can't think of anyone who was killed in that arc (except for maybe like, one person) who didn't have their hands dirty.

Ah come on... everyone has a different shock and tolerance level.

I was there when Chimera Ant arc first started in the manga, that was about 8, 9 years ago? I can still remember everyone was shocked by the brutality and the shift in tone. By 'everybody' I mean most of us Togashi fans (in Japan, in Asia, in Europe, in America...) who were familiar with YYH, Level-E...we knew Togashi is capable of dark and fuck up stuffs. Even so it still managed to shock us, we weren't prepared for it because HxH was pretty fantastical and had the younger appeal up to that point.

Stuff like Kastro, Yorknew can't compare to this. Kastro was your typical shounen tournament (controlled environement) battle death. Yorknew featured villains too cool and chic to really make you feel disgusted nor repulsed.I remember the horror of Ponzu's execution style death so well. And it was just a prelude to something worst.

So newbies to the series via the anime is just going through what most of us went through back then...these kind of reaction is totally expected. Repulsed, shocked...that means Madhouse's adaptation hit the right note so far.
kcacoMay 22, 2013 6:11 PM
May 22, 2013 8:15 PM

Dec 2007
kcaco said:
SageShinigami said:
fishergirl16 said:

Lastly, I just want to point out that people who are shocked by the brutality of this series are weird.

Ah come on... everyone has a different shock and tolerance level.

I was there when Chimera Ant arc first started in the manga, that was about 8, 9 years ago? I can still remember everyone was shocked by the brutality and the shift in tone. By 'everybody' I mean most of us Togashi fans (in Japan, in Asia, in Europe, in America...) who were familiar with YYH, Level-E...we knew Togashi is capable of dark and fuck up stuffs. Even so it still managed to shock us, we weren't prepared for it because HxH was pretty fantastical and had the younger appeal up to that point.

Stuff like Kastro, Yorknew can't compare to this. Kastro was your typical shounen tournament (controlled environement) battle death. Yorknew featured villains too cool and chic to really make you feel disgusted nor repulsed.I remember the horror of Ponzu's execution style death so well. And it was just a prelude to something worst.

So newbies to the series via the anime is just going through what most of us went through back then...these kind of reaction is totally expected. Repulsed, shocked...that means Madhouse's adaptation hit the right note so far.

Yeah...I said all that, lol.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
May 23, 2013 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
For me, the story of this anime is from a psychological point of view, extremely destructive spirit. This anime shows unethical behavior that gets created a stereotype for the laying of the main character, that our stereotypical good. In the anime, the main characters kill people without blinking. This anime is full of pathological behavior and sociopathic tendencies. For me, this anime should not be dropped, children. I am surprised that it was supposed to for children. Sick: D

P.S.

I've seen the anime worth the 440 days: D so your knees as you are reading this post
May 23, 2013 7:51 AM

Jul 2011
Half episode for a boring backstory but the rest was good. I can't wait to see Gon and Killua in action!

3/5
May 23, 2013 11:32 PM
May 2012
Brilliant move MH. You must really love the series to go out of your way in making the viewers connect the dots easily.

By moving the Gyro backstory here along with demonstrating the cruelty of the Ants today and in the last episode, it makes a nice contrast to how the Ants were surgical and business-like in their food gathering before they began exercising their "individuality".

Chimera Ants killing off humans for food, sport and just because is not that different from people in real life who also do this to other species for the same reasons. The cruelty of the Ants reflects how cruel people can be or really are and that's why for some, it's really uncomfortable to see.
May 24, 2013 2:24 PM

Nov 2012
Ah man Kurapika back to being the hottest chick in the show. :(

May 24, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2008
Ah, I forgot to ask, not sure if it was asked the previous 6 pages but I'm kinda not up to going through each page.

Was there any point to Gyro's backstory?
May 24, 2013 4:11 PM
May 2013
Paul said:

yes...very strange indeed to show the backstory of a supposed dead man. There are two things that can come up from this that I can think of:
1. he may not be "really" dead and may become important later
2. (this one is more likely) What is the main point of the Chimera ants especially the Queen so far? To give birth to a King. It's now confirmed that at least some of the ants like Colt retain fragments of memories or more importantly, the ideology of certain humans that the Queen ate and so this may set up the mindset of future generations or even the King himself to destroy all humans.

In short, my prediction is that Gyro = future King
May 24, 2013 4:25 PM

Feb 2012
Paul said:
Ah, I forgot to ask, not sure if it was asked the previous 6 pages but I'm kinda not up to going through each page.

1. Contribute to the theme of the Chimera Ant arc regarding humanity, identity...
2. For some, death is just the beginning
3. Setup for possible future scenario
but most of all (might have little spoiler)
4. Togashi being his troll-tastic self as usual. Because the Gyro story in the manga was 'concluded' with a very post modern ending that you either enjoy or not depending on your taste.
May 24, 2013 8:13 PM

May 2012
That Gyro guy had a really long flashback(pretty much the first half) just to end up dead so I'm guessing he'll be one of the ants?

As for Ponzu, holy shit I did not see that coming. I mean, usually when a supporting character dies they either have a speech as they're dying or at least they go out in battle. This was like something out of TWD.
May 25, 2013 11:11 AM

Nov 2012
gettogaara said:

As for Ponzu, holy shit I did not see that coming. I mean, usually when a supporting character dies they either have a speech as they're dying or at least they go out in battle. This was like something out of TWD.

Me neither, still having the bejeepers after watching that, such a violent quick ending. Makes me feel so uncomfortable. (Which is good but also bad)

May 26, 2013 12:09 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, I didn't expect those hunters to die just like that, thy will make for some dangerous chimera ants.

Haha, the expression on the horse's face.

May 26, 2013 2:49 PM

Jul 2010
Jun 6, 2013 8:03 AM

Apr 2012
PONZU ):
Jun 6, 2013 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
Wow! This show turning brutal.
Jun 6, 2013 10:32 PM

Aug 2009
Xvenger said:
Paul said:

yes...very strange indeed to show the backstory of a supposed dead man. There are two things that can come up from this that I can think of:
1. he may not be "really" dead and may become important later
2. (this one is more likely) What is the main point of the Chimera ants especially the Queen so far? To give birth to a King. It's now confirmed that at least some of the ants like Colt retain fragments of memories or more importantly, the ideology of certain humans that the Queen ate and so this may set up the mindset of future generations or even the King himself to destroy all humans.

In short, my prediction is that Gyro = future King

So I am not the only one that agrees with the fact that Gyro may become the Chimera Ant King! Sweet deal. is back story ending with him saying that he isn't human and the last Chimera Ant shown at the top of the cliff in opening resembles him vaguely. Granted, he hasn't really been shown but his shadow was shown to not have any hair. I am hoping this is true!
If your stomach feels weak then my work here is done.

Jun 7, 2013 11:01 PM

May 2012
Interesting turn of events... at first I thought this will be boring and I really do not like the idea of half-animals, half-humans. But suddenly it's getting dark! And can't believe that bee girl died..
Jun 11, 2013 2:53 PM

Nov 2011
RIP Ponzu :( I didn't expect that honestly..
Jun 18, 2013 10:12 PM

Oct 2012
Ponzu : (
Jun 22, 2013 7:59 AM

Jul 2009
The brutalness begins. That chimera ant Pike has such a scary looking face O_o
Jun 23, 2013 6:27 PM
Sep 2009
I didn't get the point of the flashback... the guy instantly died without even showing his face!

He wasn't even eaten so he won't transform.

It was well done but completely pointless.
Jun 23, 2013 8:13 PM

Feb 2012
kitten320 said:
I didn't get the point of the flashback... the guy instantly died without even showing his face!

He wasn't even eaten so he won't transform.

It was well done but completely pointless.

He was taken to the queen, according to Yunju.

So he will be eaten.
Jun 26, 2013 10:55 AM

Sep 2009
This show just doesn't make any sense to me no more.

Think if the ants plot was made in the 1999 version style?

it would definitely surpass this, but this is still good nevertheless.
Jul 14, 2013 6:24 AM

Jan 2012
THIS IS SO EPIC!!! >.<
Jul 16, 2013 4:57 AM
May 2009
Ponzu's death really hit me hard. Liked her as well. She would have made an interesting hunter.
Aug 5, 2013 3:17 PM

Dec 2012
Hmm, that ruler's back story was interesting, but seems kind of pointless since it seems like he's dead anyway. That moe-ant was creepy as hell. The group that was there didn't even stand a chance. And GOOD GOD PONZU NO! I had a bad feeling but I didn't think she'd die. It was mortifying to see her body just keep flinching bullet after bullet.
Aug 10, 2013 7:19 PM
Jul 2012
Decent episode
At the beginning, I don't know what this whole Gyro thing bring it up. Seems long don't really know if I should care about him.
Damn, panzu died. Crap, those ants are so cruel. Hope Gon and Killua beat their asses.
EDIT RIP Panzu you are my faves.
3.5/5
LegendGoldDarkAug 10, 2013 7:22 PM
Aug 12, 2013 2:47 PM
Jan 2012
nice episode but it seams like this arc will be a bit disappointing.. imo its stupid that the ants have memories from the humans.. but w/e its still enjoyable
Aug 26, 2013 5:29 AM

Jan 2012
gyro's flashback was so real,fuck the universe
and I feel bad for the beegirl and ponzu for dying
I was expecting Gon and Killua to recognise who died when they found the hat in that blood
Aug 26, 2013 5:50 AM
Jun 2012
MatijaxD said:
nice episode but it seams like this arc will be a bit disappointing.. imo its stupid that the ants have memories from the humans.. but w/e its still enjoyable

How is character devoplment stupid exactly, you'd prefer if they were mindless killing drones?
Aug 26, 2013 6:17 AM

May 2013
Nikoka said:
MatijaxD said:

How is character devoplment stupid exactly, you'd prefer if they were mindless killing drones?
People don't like character development and great plot....in fact the last year the most popular anime was SAO,while anyone didn't give a fuck about Shinsekai Yori and Psycho pass. The majority of people has shit tastes,it's a fact.
Aug 26, 2013 12:03 PM

Feb 2013
renders said:
I was expecting Gon and Killua to recognise who died when they found the hat in that blood

Did you see the look on Gon's face? He totally remembered.
Killua never properly met her
Sep 1, 2013 7:42 PM

Dec 2012
OMG this episode was awesome. The beginning with Gyro was intense, I felt sorry for him. Pokkle was defeated, and Ponzu is dead?! I never liked her but still :O
Sep 1, 2013 7:48 PM

Dec 2012
renders said:

the beegirl is Ponzu
Sep 16, 2013 8:57 AM

May 2013
This arc is amaizngly well done. I love it
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.