Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 6, 2008 2:12 PM

May 2008
This episode was totally different... but still, I enjoyed it.
Nov 6, 2008 2:14 PM

Mar 2008
this episode follows the manga really good...
Nov 11, 2008 9:44 AM

Oct 2008
That was really a fantastic quality episode. It didn't even feel like an episode of Naruto, which was refreshing.

The somber mood, story, artwork and progression keep me so invested.

Nov 16, 2008 1:15 AM

Jan 2008
This is like watching a Naruto movie in an episode... The whole animation is fantastic. It like the animation back in the regular Naruto episode of Sasuke vs Naruto at The Valley of the End and The beginning part of Shippuden when Naruto reuniting with Sasuke at Orochimaru's hideout.
Nov 26, 2008 8:30 AM

May 2007
Really good episode, even with almost no Naruto(I actually like the fact he was the one with Konohamaru at the funeral, confronting him), but I am a Shikamaru fan so I don't count.

Also, Shikamaru spent 10 minutes being sad, wouldn't it be nice if other characters in the series could do that.

Finally, the next episode is going to drag.
My anime list
Nov 29, 2008 2:53 PM

May 2008
Boring episode nothing happend, just Shikamaru being sad for like 15 min and then the team and Kakashi leaving. Did any one els think that Choji looked wierd in ths episode, Shikamaru looked like a girl when he held the lighter up to his face.
Jan 13, 2009 6:54 AM

Jan 2008
One of the best episode of Naruto Shippuden (even if I don't like Shikamaru and Asuma). The beginning with Kurenai was absolutely perfect.
MashimaApr 28, 2015 9:00 AM
Jun 14, 2009 7:48 AM

Feb 2009
start: wow Creepy so not naruto style art
Middle: -_- zzZ 2 whole minutes hitting those things i cant stand it >.< it hurts my ears --- OMG shikamarus crying O.O --- hes picking those things up (tell us about the king PLEASE!!!!) --- ok shikamaru + rock = scary --- TELL US ABOUT THE KING!!!!!!!! --- lol 11:09 elf shikamaru --- WTH???? shikamaru got air element???? --- SHIKAMARU fat lady coming RUUUUUUUN ^^ --- oops i take that back shikamaru choujis beautiful mom is coming ^^'' --- lol somebody feed this kid ^^'' --- OH MY HOLY FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOD SHIKAMARU IS SMOOOKING OoO (even for a moment ^^)
End: anoo they keep talking about doing something what is that??? --- oh god pls let not be what i think ά-ά --- nooooo dont let them go i dont want more ppl to die >.< --- Tsunade do something --- KAKASHI YOU ASSHOLE --- u stupid elf come BAAAAAAACK

so ummmm

begining gets +2
middle +2
end -1

and the extras:

+1
we got new stuff here (like new style, reactions and characters that we didint see for a while)
its quite slow
there are some questions that have still not been answered
+2
for funny momentes (faty lady, hungry kid XD AND i got shikamarus a new name --shikaelf -- XP)
+2
unexpected moments
for Stupidness

that makes 4 right? ok then 4 it is ^^
serenal9Jun 14, 2009 8:08 AM
Jun 20, 2009 11:08 PM

May 2008
lesser Naruto? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 25, 2009 8:12 AM

Oct 2008
I just loved the scene with Shikamaru and his dad playing shouji, that was beautiful.

The art somehow seemed..different.
Sep 12, 2009 12:44 PM

Apr 2009
so to make the series better one character has to die ? lol)

anyway awesome episode.
felt the drama.
Sep 23, 2009 1:26 AM

Mar 2009
This was a great episode. The stuff between Shikamaru and his father was powerful. The colours in this episode were perfect reflected the emotions well.

Apr 20, 2010 10:36 PM

Dec 2009
This epi was fantastic in essentially every way.

The emotion, thea animation, the feelings that it was inspired to elict were very pure and raw and real. It's nice seeing Naruto (the anime) thoroughly wet it's feet with something so genuine as the trial of dealing with the emotional baggage of an unexpected death of someone close to you.

Jun 6, 2010 3:43 AM

Oct 2008
Superb episode. The way they captured Kurenai and Shikamaru's breakdown. So sad. D:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Aug 21, 2010 3:30 PM

Mar 2010
awesome, maybe im getting a little to emotional,

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 13, 2011 1:19 AM

Aug 2010
Haven't felt this sad in naruto since gaara's almost death, and both of them were directed so beautifully. I'm glad that they at least make the important episodes really daze.
Jul 16, 2011 11:53 AM
May 2011
The episode's colors were so dark, how fitting. And geez Kakashi is so goddamn cool.

Ready for the next episode of Shikamaru Shippuden!
Jan 30, 2012 10:00 PM

Jun 2009
Can't believe I'm saying this in an adaptation that can be hit and miss at times, but god damn this was a brilliant episode. Just incredibly well done, man Shikamaru is just a hell of a character.

And, fuck yeah, Kakashi. My two favorite characters teaming up? Oh fuck yes....
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 30, 2012 11:12 PM

Jul 2007
insan3soldiern said:
Can't believe I'm saying this in an adaptation that can be hit and miss at times, but god damn this was a brilliant episode. Just incredibly well done, man Shikamaru is just a hell of a character.

And, fuck yeah, Kakashi. My two favorite characters teaming up? Oh fuck yes....

Yeah this is one episode where the production quality was truly at its best. The direction this episode took was great to. Its a shame though that their are so many inconsistencies with the animation unlike the original series.
ArtimesGamerJan 30, 2012 11:23 PM

Sep 19, 2012 11:59 AM

Jul 2011
Gin-iro said:
The best animation to date (Tsunade's flashback is a good reference point). Now if only that were the case with every episode... Still they captured Asuma's death well and I found it more emotional than the Third's funeral. It's nice to stray away from Naruto's stuff for things like this.

Totally Agree. Can't say more.

Although there was also no sakura or lee or hinata or tenten, it was good enough with just the team 10. I see that they are planning their revenge. And well who wouldn't? for a great person and sensei that Asuma was. I prefer this type of episode 10 times more than annoying filler filled with action. honestly.
Nov 12, 2013 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
It’s beautifully animated ep.From kurenai's breakdown to shikamaru collapsing in tears everything was well done.There isn't much crying but it’s real impact is emotional.

I have to mention the chess scene in particular: seeing his son sitting alone, Shikamaru’s father challenges him to a game of shogi. For around five minutes, they just sit and play in a room surrounded by beautiful paintings, for a while barely even uttering a word to each other. The camera angle never changes, the room is lit only by moon light, but their body language, every subtle movement, portrays so much.
5/5 ep and I don't give full rating easily.
May 11, 2014 9:50 AM
Dec 2012
100% agree, the moment i started the episode i noticed something was different... even the draw its kinda different, for me the best moment it was when shikamaru was in the dark looking at the shogi keys.... this episode was awesome emotionally and visually.... it was like watching an anime movie. I was thinking 'Did they hire Hayao Miyazaki for this episode or what??' jajaj
Jul 15, 2014 10:03 PM

Jun 2012
wooh yeah things finally figured out.

Aug 26, 2014 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
Epic episode. This is awesome, it seems that it got much mroe serious now.
It's so thrilling! Next one already
Sep 24, 2014 8:35 AM
May 2012
Wow, this episode was really well done!!
Kurenai's scene was really good. Poor her, though :/
Shikamaru and his dad's scene was........Damn, I love it. His dad is awesome, and I am really liking Shikamaru now. He reminds me of myself, really.
With this episode's atmosphere, it's like, Christopher Nolan directed it ahahaha.
You go, Team Asuma :D Thanks, Kakashi!!
Jul 5, 2015 8:59 AM

Oct 2013
This episode was yet another incredible one. The scene with Shikamaru and his father was extremely powerful. I'm really glad the quality of the show is boosting a bit. Good thing it happened around the time the manga did as well.
"The world cannot be changed with pretty words alone." ~Lelouch Lamperouge
Jul 18, 2015 1:20 PM

Nov 2014
Rewatching!

Really emotional, great art style and just a great episode.
Aug 9, 2015 10:46 AM

Jun 2015
This was a very intense episode Shikamaru made me wanna cry
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 22, 2016 11:38 PM
Jul 2016
This was the saddest episode ever. I feel so sad and nostalgic after watching it. 5/5
Nov 29, 2016 4:49 AM

Dec 2012
This episode remains one of the heaviest, most atmospheric in the series to date. It's like a mini movie and does far more showing than telling, particularly through the shogi match between Shikamaru and his father as well as Shikamaru working out a strategy by playing himself. It felt like every little detail mattered, whether it was the children playing or the way the facial expressions changed. Definitely respect for the decision to change the style to match the weight of losing Asuma.
Feb 9, 2017 8:01 AM
Feb 2017
Great layouts and animation, love the different artstyle. Most atmospheric episode.
Jul 20, 2017 10:37 PM

Dec 2016
Crazy to see Shikamaru that emotional, but it's pretty understandable. Also did anyone notice the animation boost for this episode, or am I just crazy?
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 16, 2019 7:34 AM
Apr 2016
The visuals were so amazing honestly, absolutely made me delighted! Honestly, this episode kept me really emotionally unstable, I don't know why, just made me tear up randomly... Even though this is a rewatch, like 10th
Jul 3, 2019 9:00 PM

Jun 2017
I loved the visuals and feel of this episode! I didn't expect to cry during it. I hope we get more episodes that look like this.
Aug 19, 2019 6:59 AM

Mar 2015
A sad episode for mourning, but newfound resolve at the end!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 28, 2019 8:47 PM
Jul 2008
A literal masterpiece from start to finish; there wasn't a single wasted second.
Hands down best directed and animated Naruto episode yet.
Jan 21, 2020 10:30 AM

Mar 2019
So this is the aftermath I guess.Poor shikamaru :(.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Feb 27, 2020 8:10 AM
Dec 2019
Ep was good though
May 11, 2020 10:47 PM
Apr 2014
Not sure why people still complain about slow pacing and lack of action when by this episode we can clearly see this anime has turned into so much more. The emotional depth of the show is astounding when you consider how young half the cast is in the middle of wartime.

~*You get PTSD! And you get PTSD! You all get PTSD! *~

May 24, 2020 1:06 AM

Jun 2017
Glad to know I'm not the only one loving the animation style in this episode. Maybe because of the fact that this is an episode where Shikamaru grieves; so it's sort of dark. But man! What a commendable episode. Even though there was no action in this episode, I wasn't even bored at all!

Yes! This would be a good team! Looks like Kakashi wants to avenge Asuma as much as the team 10 does.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Sep 19, 2020 12:00 AM
Nov 2017
This episode was incredible. The atmosphere, the talk between shikamaru and his dad, the reactions of the characters... I 'm also starting to like Kakashi's attitude. He seems to be bored all the time, as nothing matters. But he really cares about the others. Thanks, Kakashi!!
Dec 11, 2020 9:20 AM
Jun 2013
2 great episodes back to back. The story begins to shine when it's not all about the Naruto and Sasuke relationship. Shikimaru is a standout character; I wish he could get the kind of power up some of the other characters get. Would have been nice to see Tamari conveniently there to comfort him.

Naruto can stay out of the story for 100 episodes and I wouldn't complain. This entire arc has been better than most of Shippuden to me.
Feb 22, 2021 7:20 AM
Feb 2021
team 10 is definitely gonna kick Hidans ass for killing Asuma
Mar 4, 2021 10:45 AM

Dec 2007
gotta say that the animation and the story in this episode felt really different from every shounen anime, when the ED was showing i was just like "huh?", really great episode.

shikamaru is easily one of naruto's best characters.
Mar 16, 2021 4:51 PM

Apr 2018
Binging this anime for the first time and I have to say this is the best episode out of the 300 I've watched so far.

The feel and direction was so much different than the normal. It fit the stuff that happened well in this episode.

I hope to see more episodes like this.
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Aug 10, 2021 8:39 AM

Feb 2021
Not gonna lie. it was a simple yet powerful episode. Shikamaru's dad is a real one.

Team 10 and Kakashi are out to slay Hidan and Kakuzu!

Also am I tripping or did the animation and artstyle get an upgrade?

Aug 4, 2022 6:25 AM

Jul 2022
Is it just me or the animation style changed? I love it so much

I actually don't mind the plot revolving not around the main character for some time, it's refreshing to see what other characters are doing or going through, especially if it's Shikamaru :)
Aug 28, 2022 8:27 AM
May 2021
Every episode of Naruto should have this superb level of artwork, animation, and direction. Near-perfect pacing, subtle yet emotive visuals, and the depth of character found in Shikamaru... the single best episode of Naruto ever.
Jan 23, 2023 3:20 PM

Sep 2019
Beautiful.
I couldn't hold back my tears...

dakuchonekobingJan 23, 2023 3:24 PM
Apr 13, 2023 12:37 AM
Nov 2022
top episodes in all of naruto, the animation and just character driven narrative this episode tells are unmatched.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is Itachi in your top 10 favorite Naruto characters or no?

SupremeGod - May 12

38 by BotGang »»
Yesterday, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 387 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2014

71 by Lukas_AAW »»
May 17, 12:57 PM

» Who are your top 20 favorite Naruto characters?

SupremeGod - May 13

31 by TheGamer4222 »»
May 16, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 381 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2014

81 by Lukas_AAW »»
May 14, 12:56 PM

» who's the best waifu? (ending the debate once and for all)

FruitPunchBaka - May 6

45 by DollarstoreYuji »»
May 13, 8:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.