Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 30, 2008 7:24 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
No action this episode but still a decent one. Shikamaru's on the move with his new plan, I cant wait to see it next episode. Go Kakashi!!
Oct 30, 2008 7:47 PM

Oct 2008
I have to say that is one of the best Naruto (minus Naruto) episodes I have seen in a very very long time. I was thoroughly impressed with the direction and feel. I don't think there was even a single flashback! I'm happy they didn't drag out any crying scene. Seeing Kurenai fall down like that was so hard hitting, I don't think they could've done it better.

5/5

PS - What happened to Kakashi's arm!?! :D
Oct 30, 2008 7:58 PM

Nov 2007
Overall, good episode. I really enjoyed the visuals on this weeks ep, and I actually like how they extended chapter 330. The only problem I have is how Shikamaru wasn't shown smoking.

5/5
Oct 30, 2008 8:00 PM

Jun 2008
I agree this one of the best Naruto episodes too, the emotion was captured well.

I just hope the last half of the Hidan & Kakuzu arc isn't dragged out.
Oct 30, 2008 8:06 PM

Apr 2008
Eh it was alright... I really wish that was a bit more to the episode. Nothing special happened. Towards the end it started getting good but now I have to wait another week to find out the good stuff and nothing good will probably happen next week either :'(... lame.

Archon231 said:

I think Naruto happened to his arm. BAMF.

P.S. Naruto plays less and less of an important role in Shippuden as it progresses so far... hopefully that'll change. Personally I love Naruto despite him being annoying.
Oct 30, 2008 8:21 PM

Oct 2008
xdzzz said:
I think Naruto happened to his arm. BAMF.

P.S. Naruto plays less and less of an important role in Shippuden as it progresses so far... hopefully that'll change. Personally I love Naruto despite him being annoying.

No kidding, but I wanna see! This is where flashbacks are USEFUL! Seriously, they should learn that, haha.

Yeah it is strange that he is sidelined.. but I guess there is a reason for that and it is working so far. But I agree, I love him too (hence the best ep withOUT Naruto thing) so I hope he finishes his training real soon..
Oct 30, 2008 8:27 PM

Sep 2008
boring episode but im excited for the next eps
and xdzzz you're right shippuden is mostly focus on characters around naruto not like the first naruto series
but still he will be the center of progress
Oct 30, 2008 8:29 PM

Sep 2008
I actually liked the animation in this episode, usually I think it looks cheap and ugly. I hope they keep it up. I just really wish it didn't take 3 episodes after somebody dies to get back to the story. This is were the story gets badass in the manga, I hope the anime doesn't let me down.
Oct 30, 2008 8:51 PM

Jan 2008
This episode was one of the better ones so far and the plot has taken a turn for the better IMO. I just hope Naruto gets his move done soon, as it's been taking forever and it seems like it's never going to stop. And, does anyone here feel like the story is going faster than the first series, with a better plot?
Oct 30, 2008 9:08 PM

Aug 2008
Outstanding! The scene w/ Shikamaru & his dad was one of the best in the series. I'm a manga reader so there isn't much else I can say w/o spoiler tags. :-s Its almost time for a HUGE battle!
Oct 30, 2008 9:21 PM
Mar 2008
I'd dare to say that it has been the most serious, deep, emotive and, overall, best episode of Naruto Shippuuden up to now. Shikamaru is a great character, and the way they develop him is superb.

Drawing and animation is above Naruto's average quality; it's great, indeed.

I wish they kept on developing the story seriously, like this episode, and adding less "supposed-to-be-funny" scenes.

I support brief, condensed anime reviews!
Oct 30, 2008 10:21 PM
Oct 2007
Archon231 said:

well, i don't want to ruin anything for you but.. if you read the manga it goes along the same story line.. and you don't quite find out till later~

pretty good episode.. decent pace and stuff..
i really liked the beginning of the anime.. with that semi black and white~ i thought the animation was really well done there.
Oct 30, 2008 10:23 PM
Oct 2008
which episode in the manga?
sayonara
Oct 30, 2008 10:44 PM

Jun 2007
xdzzz said:

Just to tell you....
Oct 30, 2008 11:01 PM
Oct 2007
well, where episode 82 ends roughly corresponds with chapter 330.
the one where you find out what happened to kakashi's arm is 339
Oct 30, 2008 11:28 PM

Nov 2007
i really liked this episode alot. i havnt liked many shippuden episodes but this one was fantastic. the art and the coloring set a great tone. shika's face with just the light from the lighter was a bit scary lol.
Oct 30, 2008 11:37 PM

Sep 2007
Looks like they brought in the special animation team for this one, and it paid off. Sure, Chouji looked a little odd, but the settings were fantastic. I don't think I've seen any of those before, except for the gate and maybe the cemetery. It just looked fantastic.

The scene with Shikimaru and his father was especially incredible. I'm impressed with the way they were able to keep it interesting despite using the same camera angle.

By far, one of the best episodes of the series. Not ridiculously over-the-top, not face-paced; just an incredible combination of art and storytelling.
Oct 31, 2008 12:45 AM

Feb 2008
couple more episodes we get to see naruto's new move. haha

the added a few fills but you know how they get with the death of a major character.
Oct 31, 2008 1:36 AM

Jun 2008
super slow....
Oct 31, 2008 1:48 AM

Jul 2008
kisami said:
couple more episodes we get to see naruto's new move. haha

the added a few fills but you know how they get with the death of a major character.

If only all fillers were of this quality though. Yes it made for a slow episode overall, but episodes like this when a main character dies are supposed to be slow and tug at the emotions a bit. This was an excellent episode with excellent animation.
Oct 31, 2008 1:54 AM

Dec 2007
watched episode 82 and it was awesome, it was the best Naruto episode so far that i have seen!!!.
i just loved the hole feeling of the episode and it made me get a tear or two in my eye in a couple of the scenes from the episode.
in the beginning of the episode when i saw how Kurenai fell to the floor after Shikamaru told here about Asumas death, i even got a tear from that. also i teared up at the part when Shikamaru and his dad were playing that board game and Shikamaru threw it against the wall, man that was deep and when is dad told him to let everything out and left him in the room... wow that was just really deep and i even teared up from that.

i rate this episode a 5 out of 5 being a perfect score because this was just the best episode so far from the first Naruto series and Naruto Shippuuden.
some people are probably gonna be saying that this episode sucked because it didnt have any action or fighting scenes well screw them then, animes is not all about fighting even if it is Naruto!!!

hope that Naruto will stay this good for the continence of the series.

Oct 31, 2008 2:34 AM
Mar 2008
well, I'm glad that my opinion is the same as most people here. shippuuden used to be so lame ... but this episode is epic and beat everything ...

I would agree for Shikamaru Shippuuden .. LOL ...

I expect the greatest battle upcoming of the whole shippuden series so far..
Oct 31, 2008 5:12 AM

Oct 2007
Slow - but a good episode and looking forward to the next episode XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2008 6:37 AM

Sep 2007
Yokurama said:
watched episode 82 and it was awesome, it was the best Naruto episode so far that i have seen!!!.
i just loved the hole feeling of the episode and it made me get a tear or two in my eye in a couple of the scenes from the episode.
in the beginning of the episode when i saw how Kurenai fell to the floor after Shikamaru told here about Asumas death, i even got a tear from that. also i teared up at the part when Shikamaru and his dad were playing that board game and Shikamaru threw it against the wall, man that was deep and when is dad told him to let everything out and left him in the room... wow that was just really deep and i even teared up from that.

i rate this episode a 5 out of 5 being a perfect score because this was just the best episode so far from the first Naruto series and Naruto Shippuuden.
some people are probably gonna be saying that this episode sucked because it didnt have any action or fighting scenes well screw them then, animes is not all about fighting even if it is Naruto!!!

Totally agree. This was the best damn episode I've ever seen, especially the beginning. I loved how the whole episode was so colourless and at the very end, the sun rises and everything looks normal again. Very stylish, didn't know the people behind Naruto were capable of something like this. The Higurashi in the background of Shikamaru's house gave it such a gloomy feeling... but that's probably because they reminded me of, well, "something else". XD
Oct 31, 2008 9:07 AM

Jan 2008
I like how at the beginning DB says how it's amazing that the death of one person drains the color out of an entire village. It's true. And what's more, fewer people cared when the Third died. That seems really wrong to me somehow.

It was boring, but not in a filler way. It was cool to see Shikamaru come up with a plan the way he did. Next week looks interesting.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Oct 31, 2008 9:45 AM

Jan 2008
Joshy85 said:
well, where episode 82 ends roughly corresponds with chapter 330.
the one where you find out what happened to kakashi's arm is 339

So basically we've got nine more weeks before we see Naruto again, and find out what happens to Kakashi's arm. That's always nice.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Oct 31, 2008 11:11 AM
May 2008
they havent shown him smoking because it is a family program and he is about fifteen years old, and if he would smoke, maybe younger audiences like 12-15 year olds start smoking because it looks cool.

That is what i think :S
Oct 31, 2008 12:02 PM
May 2008
I'm really starting to like the whole Naruto scene again. They lost it for some time, but I'm glad it's starting to come back. Hope it stays that way.
Spirits are always with you! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Oct 31, 2008 3:15 PM

Nov 2007
Excellent episode!
Oct 31, 2008 4:41 PM

Jan 2008
This episode was worked out so good, that I think, NO wait, I know that this is the best episode so far. Not by action, but to visualize the emotion. It was done so incredibly well.
6/5 ;p
~de Arimasu
Oct 31, 2008 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
good to see the animation wasnt as bad -.-
i like this ep, though i gotta admit it was quite boring...
Oct 31, 2008 7:34 PM

Apr 2007
Gainax did a pretty good job this episode, although it looks like they did a little more than just the inbetween work they're normally hired for. Watching Chouji scarf down his food TTGL-style was pretty entertaining, however.
Oct 31, 2008 9:32 PM

Sep 2008
Yokurama said:

Amen. I hope to see episodes like these more often... not just pointless fighting and fillers all the time.

*^*Random Rant*^*
Oct 31, 2008 10:04 PM

Aug 2008
Beautiful episode. Still well that Naruto did not appear!
Go Kakashi sensei! Go!
Oct 31, 2008 11:22 PM

Sep 2008
kie_ said:
super slow....

its going slow bec they dont want it to catch up with the manga like what happening to bleach, reborn and d gray man.
Nov 1, 2008 12:33 AM

May 2008
Good episode.
Nov 1, 2008 12:21 PM

Jul 2008
The best animation to date (Tsunade's flashback is a good reference point). Now if only that were the case with every episode... Still they captured Asuma's death well and I found it more emotional than the Third's funeral. It's nice to stray away from Naruto's stuff for things like this.
Nov 1, 2008 7:03 PM

Feb 2008
The color is pale due to the effect of sadness. I wonder this has a connection with the NOV. 1 holiday. October 30, all souls day ahaha! XD
Nov 1, 2008 9:18 PM

Jul 2007
I didn't even feel like I was watching Shippuuden anymore. A very well done episode. I think it's the best shippuuden episode so far. Hopefully the studio can continue to produce awesome episodes like this.
Nov 1, 2008 11:07 PM

Jan 2008
This was an awesome episode!~
The beginning was wonderfully sad when Shikamaru broke the news to Kurenai. My first reaction after seeing those 10 seconds was - 'this is so unNaruto-like'! I mean, the animation in this episode was beautiful~ The best from all of Naruto and Naruto Shippuden episodes to date in my opinion.

Not to mention there was nothing insanely useless thrown in. Shikamaru's talk with his father was portrayed perfectly through the game of shouji. And I was very pleased with the outcome of their conversation. Moreover, Shikamaru's speech with Tsunade was well~

This episode was so simple; but it held many raw emotions.
I can't wait for the next episode :)

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Nov 2, 2008 12:06 AM

Feb 2008
Honestly, I can't wait for this arc to start progressing a little more. This episode was fantastic, however from what I know of the manga the way this arc ends is pretty epic, then we get a little bit of saucegay, but at the end of that arc some of the info that they finally drop on us is going to blow a lot of peoples minds. I honestly had to stop reading that manga and go outside and walk around the bloack a couple of times to cool down so that I didn't freak out to bad.

tl;dr stuff is going to get epic really freakin' quickly
Nov 2, 2008 1:20 AM

Jul 2008
i admit this episode was good i felt the emotion in it i cant wait cause narutos new move is about to be shown but next week fighting again.yay!!!!
Nov 2, 2008 4:05 AM

May 2007
Good episode, but wow the animation was great. I hope they keep it up.
Nov 2, 2008 12:27 PM

Apr 2008
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the animation. I loved the episode though. I needed that episode to help me deal with Asuma's death and to see the human side of Naruto's characters. I have a new found appreciation for Shikamaru and his parents too. Excellent episode! ^.^
Nov 2, 2008 7:24 PM

Oct 2007
Overall good episode, loved the whole scene of Shikamaru's dad and Shikamaru talk. What happened to Kakashi's arm? From what I remember in the manga...

Nov 3, 2008 3:37 AM

Mar 2007
Boring episode. It's just all about Shikamaru been sad over Asuma
Instagram: Luzifurr
Nov 4, 2008 6:54 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
holy shit the beginning was so intense and well done. like seriously.
look look! you can see the bug dude without his 100's of layers of clothes during the funeral!

9:13 -OMGOMGOMG THIS EP IS SOOO GOOD. IT'S SOOOO WELL DONE. HOLY SHIT. WHY CAN'T ALL THE EPISODES BE LIKE THIS ONE?!?!?!

4:38 -Chogi looks super different in this kinda of animation style..

wow. that was really good. i agree with other ppl in that i think this is one of the best done episodes in Shuppuuden so far.
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 4, 2008 10:13 AM

Jun 2007
Even more Shikamaru. I'm not complaining! The direction in these last few episodes has been pretty good. I hope it continues like this when the action kicks in as well.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Nov 4, 2008 11:20 AM

Aug 2008
If it weren't for the visual quality of this episode, I probably would have disliked it a bit. But this is easily the best looking episode of the series yet. The use of cgi for pans and zooms, some of the camera placement, use of light and shadow, and overall production quality was turned up to 12 on this one. Gorgeous. It's a shame it looks like they're going back to their standard quality for the next episode.
Nov 6, 2008 12:01 PM

Apr 2008
Wauw..... really, first impression of me watching this episode = Huh? Am I really watching Naruto ?
The art , drawing , feeling, ambiance , such great animation !! So much more better than the normal naruto style, looks of this episode are AWESOME. the whole quiet gray-ish emo tone troughout the episode , really wasn't feeling like Naruto at all, really different from last episodes in my opinion, didn't get the idea at all that I was watching Naruto other than that Shikamaru was in screen most of the time :p But still awesome ep :D What should I say, felt more... serious ? than lots of episodes. Really good though, as I'm still a voter for Shikamaru, the shadow chronicles :p
Straw-Hat-MattNov 7, 2008 2:42 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 133 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ssjbryando - Oct 29, 2009

191 by shoelaze »»
Yesterday, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 346 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2014

58 by Lukas_AAW »»
Apr 23, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 343 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Griffith - Dec 19, 2013

152 by Lukas_AAW »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 500 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2017

435 by Mabexix »»
Apr 22, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 339 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

loveyuri - Nov 21, 2013

162 by Lukas_AAW »»
Apr 21, 11:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.