Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 4, 2012 4:47 PM

Feb 2012
I like it when its used in a humorous manner. I never find it cute though :
Jul 4, 2012 4:55 PM

Mar 2012
Usually it's annoying or a sad attempt at being cute. Very occasionally though, it works.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 4, 2012 4:59 PM

Aug 2009
egoplant said:
I think it's cute when a main character says a phrase in English, or at least attempts to.

Don't really care. There could be some weird fad or maybe some Japanese people think its cool to speak engrish words or phrases.Maybe its similar to how in the US we adopt certain foreign words into our language. Not really a big deal.
Jul 4, 2012 5:02 PM

Aug 2008
In anime, I think it can either be quite funny or rather annoying depending on how it is used.

In real life, I find some of the Engrish my Japanese friends use hilarious. They say some amazing things lol
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Jul 4, 2012 5:29 PM

Jul 2011
Not cute but sometimes it's funny. Usually annoying though.
"People fall in love with a person, not a gender."
Jul 4, 2012 6:09 PM

Apr 2012
noyoureinsane said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:
Can't understand some of the words in this op. Engrish can be funny

If you have the lyrics to read along with it, you can "hear" what they're saying better. (which is usually the case with a lot of songs) But I hardly doubt that's "engrish."
Umm that is engrish actually, you should know english enough to know if its japanese or english...
Jul 4, 2012 6:09 PM

Nov 2009
Just you wait until Kud from Little Busters starts blasting you with Engrish...one of the cutest things ever!
Jul 4, 2012 6:21 PM

Apr 2012
Riptos said:
Just you wait until Kud from Little Busters starts blasting you with Engrish...one of the cutest things ever!
Is the VN worth playing?
Jul 4, 2012 7:44 PM
Jun 2012
If its a cute girl with a cute voice, YES! FREAKING ADORABLE!!! if its a main male character, I find it pretty cool. and if its just some random background character, FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!! THEY SUCK!!!! so i dont know what answer to give, depends on the character
Jul 4, 2012 7:48 PM

Apr 2011
The Berserk op had some nice engrish in it xD
Jul 4, 2012 9:54 PM

Sep 2011
Uberchu said:
It's painful to watch my native language get mangled. It's only cute sometimes, although sometimes I can tolerate it if it's done somewhat well.

In my opinion, that's an extremely lame reason. Using that logic, you shouldn't be speaking or using any words from other languages. It's obvious that almost everyone sounds somewhat awkward speaking a language that is completely different from theirs. I don't see what's wrong with it. At least they're attempting to speak it. A language is meant to be spoken.

Oh well. Here's a funny video.

"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Jul 4, 2012 10:37 PM

Mar 2009
Depends. It can either be very funny or very stupid. I like the former.
Jul 4, 2012 11:13 PM
Nov 2011
It's not cute, it's annoying. Just shows how bad Japanese are at pronouncing.
Jul 4, 2012 11:18 PM

Apr 2012
ActualGLoRY said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:
Riptos said:
Is the VN worth playing?

It is definitely worth it. Assuming they don't fail horribly (I think they would have to try to ruin it), it will be my favorite anime.
Aha I hate that, when like your favorite VN/manga gets an anime adaption you get all hyped, then it just turns out to be shit
Jul 4, 2012 11:20 PM

Dec 2011
It's not annoying, but I do dislike it.
Jul 4, 2012 11:29 PM

Mar 2012
noyoureinsane said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:

If you have the lyrics to read along with it, you can "hear" what they're saying better. (which is usually the case with a lot of songs) But I hardly doubt that's "engrish."

That's my interpretation of it. ef's OPs are some of my favorite and I think it isn't really so much "Engrish" and more so that the singer didn't put enough emphasis on some parts of the song. If I read the lyrics and listen along, I can hear the semblance but if I just listen to it straight with no lyrics in front of me, it's much harder to make out. The reason why I say that is it's very clear that the singer can pronounce "L" sounds in the English language, but it becomes apparent that there are some words in the English language that she doesn't feel the most comfortable singing and it doesn't become evident enough in the song.

Honestly speaking though, BEAUTIFUL song. I have the entire mp3 on my computer and mp3 player and I'd call it one of my favorite J-pop songs of all-time.
Jul 4, 2012 11:37 PM

Apr 2012
Toucanbird said:
noyoureinsane said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:

That's my interpretation of it. ef's OPs are some of my favorite and I think it isn't really so much "Engrish" and more so that the singer didn't put enough emphasis on some parts of the song. If I read the lyrics and listen along, I can hear the semblance but if I just listen to it straight with no lyrics in front of me, it's much harder to make out. The reason why I say that is it's very clear that the singer can pronounce "L" sounds in the English language, but it becomes apparent that there are some words in the English language that she doesn't feel the most comfortable singing and it doesn't become evident enough in the song.

Honestly speaking though, BEAUTIFUL song. I have the entire mp3 on my computer and mp3 player and I'd call it one of my favorite J-pop songs of all-time.
I agree with you, the op to this and melodies are easily in my top 10 favorite ops, also memories is easily my favorite romance, but yeh some words it seems she just rushes through and doesn't pronounce right, you can see this better if you have lyrics to look at, nonetheless still beautiful
Jul 6, 2012 3:43 AM

Jul 2011
Well, compared to how people of my country speak English, it's great. xP

Anyway, I like it. Sometimes, when I don't understand a thing they try to say, I rofl. x'D
Jul 6, 2012 5:01 AM

Jun 2007
No.
Jul 6, 2012 5:28 AM

Jun 2010
I think it's funny how there's at least one "sankyu" said in every anime.
Jul 6, 2012 5:52 AM
Sep 2011
TK in angel beats anyone? (Okarin in steins gate is another exception)

That said...90% of the time unless used in very sparing amounts at appropriate situations, then nope.
Jul 6, 2012 7:39 AM

Jun 2012
ballisticktw said:
TK in angel beats anyone?

As soon as I read this TK came to mind, but it seems you beat me to it xD

To be honest, most of the time I dont think they knew what TK was saying, it was almost like they were getting random english words at some points. That dosnt mean hes not awesome though xD
Jul 6, 2012 7:54 AM

Apr 2012
i think it's funny and cute, but sometimes annoying
Jul 6, 2012 9:16 AM

Feb 2010
I find it to be cute depending on who is trying to speak English.

egoplant said:
Another related question is, do you like English songs in anime? For me they usually feel out of place and awkward. The song at the end of the Fuko arc in Clannad was an embarrassment.

The opening for black lagoon is 100% Engrish. I love it though!

EDIT:
YES This is my all time favorite Engrish song

noyoureinsane said:
Monkey__D__Luffy said:

I listened to it with every opening so I pretty much know the song word for word. ;)
UnrealPieJul 6, 2012 9:20 AM
Jul 6, 2012 9:47 AM

Feb 2012
I find it really annoying, when the particular character overuses Engrish. But when it's not too common, I get over it. And (stupid fact) I personally like when someone says 'thank you' in English instead of Japanese. I find it cute, don't know why. Just this one and only phrase :D.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jul 6, 2012 10:25 AM

Dec 2010
Nobody posted OH MA GAW yet? :)

It's annoying when they try to be serious and cute when not.
Jul 6, 2012 10:53 AM
Dec 2007
Jenii said:
It made a certain scene in Episode 25 of Fate/Zero pretty hilarious despite the atmosphere
I have no idea why they went with that. If they wanted to be really accurate they'd show him giving him the funeral rites in Italian or Latn since he's from the main Church (meaning he spent a large part of his life in Italy). Although I believe they wanted the English there only to emphasize something Fate viewers tend to forget: that the Tohsaka family actually originally hails from England (Tokiomi lived and studied in England too).

Jul 6, 2012 10:57 AM

Jun 2012
It's not cute, but it is hilarious.

Jul 6, 2012 11:54 AM
Sep 2009
Unless it's in a comical context, it should be avoided at all costs. It sounds dumb as hell.
Jul 6, 2012 10:34 PM

Apr 2010
Most of the time I dpn't really mind, but sometimes I can't understand why the hell they need to do it.

Dantalian no Shoka: The main female main character say "yes... (something in Japanese). I found it annoying.

Sengoku Basara: Masamune Date (a daimyou), in a period of the 2nd part of the 16th centurey English non stop. I suspect how many Japanese knew English than. So it was stupid.

Jul 6, 2012 10:41 PM

Sep 2009
Prolonged conversations in engrish can be annoying.
Otherwise, it's usually fine by me. Pretty funny.
Jul 6, 2012 10:44 PM

Mar 2012
What I don't understand is the occasional "sank yuu!". I can't say I ever said thank you in english when I was speaking to someone in french.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jul 6, 2012 10:55 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It's cute and awesome lol Here is the best example of engrish:
Jul 7, 2012 12:04 AM

May 2012
I think it depends on where/how it is used. In previous examples like the Gintama and Fate videos it is great

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai OPs were also pretty good

Detective Conan OPs that used engrish were not so great, but then again I don't like many DC OPs as of late =[
Jul 7, 2012 12:38 AM

Jan 2010
I've found Engrish to be awesome, hilarious, cool, cute, weird, awkward, stupid, rage-inducing, or some strange combination of some of the above. So...Sure, why not.
Jul 7, 2012 1:03 AM

Jan 2012
Persona 3 & 4 openings FOR THE FUCKING GAME - was pretty engrish and pretty funny yet awesome.

HOWEVER, when little girls saying english lines, no just shut up.
If they say one word, alright.

More than one word.
Just.
No.
Jul 7, 2012 7:23 AM

Dec 2010
Most of the time I don't mind it at all. Even excessive cases like Revy in Black Lagoon I don't mind. Although her accent when talking is English is hilarious.
Jul 7, 2012 8:40 AM

Feb 2012
Depends what anime pretty much. In fact everything that is said in gintama English sounds awesome
Jul 7, 2012 10:04 AM
Dec 2007
LittleChocoWolf said:
Persona 3 & 4 openings FOR THE FUCKING GAME - was pretty engrish and pretty funny yet awesome.

HOWEVER, when little girls saying english lines, no just shut up.
If they say one word, alright.

More than one word.
Just.
No.
Persona songs as a whole are Engrish. They only use Japanese in the Credits song at the end pf the game.

Jul 7, 2012 12:26 PM

Sep 2011
I loved it in Code Geass when they would say "Yes yo highness!" or "Yes my Lord!". It just sounded so epic for some reason. I thought it was pretty cringe-worthy in Black Butler when Sebastian would say it; especially after watching in the dub where it just sounded so much smoother.
Jul 7, 2012 12:58 PM

Oct 2010
Pretty much what has already been said. When said in a comedic context, even if it's not intentional, it sounds much better. But when the characters are actually deadly serious the scene becomes quite anticlimactic. Of course some minor pronounciation issues will always appear (after all, the voice actors are Japanese, they are not meant to speak English as fluently and correctly as the native speakers), but in cases like Neon Genesis Evangelion, which seems to take pleasure at introducing Engrish explanations everywhere, and its various versions of Fly me to the moon... it ended up looking a little cringe-worthy at times.
Jul 7, 2012 2:23 PM

Oct 2010
Makes me laugh, so yes. But cute? Serioulsy?
Jul 9, 2012 1:08 PM

Sep 2010
Engrish is just a racist way to refer to the general some accents. I'm no more bothered by Japanese accents then I am by French, Russian, or Arabic. It's entirely too egocentric to ridicule any non-native English speaker for not speaking perfectly enunciated English, it's particularly dull to do so in regards to shows that weren't made with English speakers in mind.

Jul 9, 2012 3:10 PM

Jul 2011
BatoKusanagi said:

It's funny because the reason I discovered F/SN was because of the UBW chant that people were making fun of at the time. It was practically the whole reason I watched it. Impressively, I came to love the series in the process, go figure. The chant still makes me chuckle though.
Jul 9, 2012 3:19 PM

May 2011
egoplant said:

Kawaii~!!
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Jul 9, 2012 3:27 PM

Nov 2011
I love it. It's both funny and amazingly cute like the K-On Engrish just TO CUTE.
Steins;Gate Engrish TO FUNNY
Spice and Wolf Ending Engrish TO GOOD

It's just really amusing to me hearing someone who can hardly speak English speak it, especially with thick accents.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 9, 2012 3:47 PM
Dec 2007
Verdale said:
BatoKusanagi said:

It's funny because the reason I discovered F/SN was because of the UBW chant that people were making fun of at the time. It was practically the whole reason I watched it. Impressively, I came to love the series in the process, go figure. The chant still makes me chuckle though.
The fact Archer's chant is decent compared to SHirou's is even more chuckle worth it. Check out Shirou's chant in the handheld game (forgot the name now). "Steel is my body and fire is my [butt]". I just couldn't stop laughing after that.

Jul 9, 2012 4:19 PM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
Engrish is just a racist way to refer to the general some accents. I'm no more bothered by Japanese accents then I am by French, Russian, or Arabic. It's entirely too egocentric to ridicule any non-native English speaker for not speaking perfectly enunciated English, it's particularly dull to do so in regards to shows that weren't made with English speakers in mind.

Except when this is shown in characters who are supposed to either be native or have a strong knowledge of oral English. If the pronounciation is highly deficient in these cases it can -and has to- be judged as a flaw (unless it's intentional).
Jul 9, 2012 5:42 PM

Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:
Just because the nickname comes from bad pronounciation, doesn't mean it's limited to that.
But really, it's not their lack of skill, it's the attitude that cracks me up. They just do not give a fuck.
Jul 9, 2012 5:53 PM

Jun 2010

O, Mai Gah~ O.o

doesn't bother me that much.

Revy Engrish is the beeeeest! BadAss ;]
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 4 hours ago

26 by Strahan »»
20 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

73 by Piromysl »»
42 seconds ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 8 hours ago

10 by zckfox »»
3 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

87 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

19 by luckyrune »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.