Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2012 9:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Yup, Oreki messed up so now it's time to fix the mistake.

It also seems that there's some suspense around Hongou-san. A setting, characters, a murder. Oh the drama. There's also some info on Tarot cards and their origins as well as their representations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot_cards

Perspective huh? Oh the drama :)
Stark700Jul 1, 2012 5:51 PM
Jul 1, 2012 10:11 AM

Nov 2007
He rethinks about the trick, plus other two also thinks it's wrong. Chitanda is thinking about how the person who write the script thinks, and the friend thinks as a Holmes fan.

Tarot card book? To think differently. Then, survey, and not intending to have someone to kill.

So it was the girl's trick to make the rest of the movie to save the person who wrote the script and felt guilty about having someone killed. All she said was to persuade him to complete the story with interesting things (she thinks that it's boring without killing anyone), and wasn't intended with all her heart.

The real one is... if that guy didn't win, the window is the key. Locking the door by the victim himself to protect the one who hurt him.

The reason Chitanda didn't agree because, like that scripter, she doesn't like deads.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 1, 2012 1:50 PM

Jul 2010
Houtarou really beat himself up this episode.
Jul 1, 2012 4:25 PM

Jun 2010
That was just.... shocking. Irisu what have you done?! Im really disappointed at Ibara, Satoshi and Eru at the first half. They just blamed Oreki because they overestimated him. It's not like they can come up with a better idea :/

Nothing really much to say. That drama is too much drama. Didn't expect Hyouka to do this. I mean... Bah.

Anyways, can somebody translate that whole chat with Irisu and whoever that is? Any idea who that is? She called him/her "senpai" so I guess it's Houtaro's sister? Or no.
-MgZ_Jul 1, 2012 5:46 PM
Jul 1, 2012 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Meh no one's perfect. Flattery from a pretty chick voiced by CC would def throw off my rhythm too. Oreki still made a great comeback towards the end.

EDIT:
So really, Oreki's main problem was the question he asked. He simply focused on "How should this movie end logically?" rather than "How did Hongou envision the movie?"

He was used, but it's not like Irisu used him in a bad way. In fact it was mutually beneficial to answer the "How should this movie end logically?" question first then answer the "How did Hongou envision the movie?" since Hongou's script simply could not work with the death scene.

Is it just me, or is Satoshi awfully jealous of Oreki? He just seemed a little too passionate in his rebuttal. Also it looks like Chitanda is at least conscious of Oreki. Romance might sprout up?

And haha Oreki's sister is sharp too.
removed-userJul 1, 2012 5:46 PM
Jul 1, 2012 5:41 PM

May 2011
Well, glad Oreki managed to get his problem done.

So it's festival next week.
Jul 1, 2012 5:44 PM

Aug 2008
I feel bad for Oreki, he tried hard enough to figure out the mystery, and yet, everyone treated him coldly after the screening. :S
Good thing that Chitanda was there, Oreki is acting like Oreki again. :)
And I wonder who Irisu will call "senpai".... ? Did I miss something at the beginning of the arc?

oh, and new OP/ED next week? :D
KuriniJul 1, 2012 5:55 PM
Jul 1, 2012 5:48 PM

Jul 2010
Huuuh, not bad not bad.I definitely didn't expect original movie plot (at least idea) to have happy, colorful ending without any death.
Its kinda Irisu fault more than Oreki...he didnt know >_>
incompleteAEGISJul 1, 2012 5:54 PM
Jul 1, 2012 5:48 PM

Jul 2007
I'm going with the "senpai" being Oreki's sister. It seems like it works with the "half-way around the world" idea and who else would have recommended Oreki to her.
Jul 1, 2012 5:52 PM

Feb 2012
It's hard to say that Oreki was wrong because there was no real ending to speak of. This episode made me hate Irisu though and I know she shows up later in the show too. I was very confused during the conversation on the net because I can't read Kanji but I have no idea who the "Senpai" was.

Side note: I really do think that Strength fits Oreki perfectly because of the note at the end. Chitanda has him whipped already
Jul 1, 2012 5:54 PM

Nov 2011
I so want to know who is other person; the one who types with orange in the chat, he/she seems to be the clever person, he/she claims to be like houtarou someone from the other side of the world ! wow the story will get more interesting !
ps: the person who types whith pink in episode 8 seems to be chitanda, and the one who types with green in this episode is hongou :)
Jul 1, 2012 5:55 PM

Dec 2011
Oreki's in a slump... though they finally finished this arc.
Cannot wait for the Kanya festival!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2012 5:57 PM

May 2008
Something about this anime just doesn't feel right...I never read the original novels but from what I can tell the characters don't seem to be displaying the right emotions. For one Chitanda is coming out as very annoying to me but it doesn't seem like it's intended to be like that. It's more apparent with the rest of the main cast in this episode. The emotions they're displaying when Oreki messes up seem too out of place. For example with Satoshi it should've been more like:

"Yo buddy. Yeah about that scipt..." while smiling sheepishly.

Instead however we get:

"Hey dude. We need to talk." with a look so serious you'd think Oreki offended his family or something.

I mean seriously it just looks like they're angry at Oreki for something they couldn't do themselves in the first place... Who would react like that? >.>
Jul 1, 2012 6:01 PM

Sep 2011
I have to be honest, I felt something squeeze my heart a bit*in a bad way* when I found out how Irisu was using Hotaru and then to find out in turn how much of a jerk she was indirectly being. and I usually don't like drama.

This was a pretty bitter sweet episode. in the end what the person wanted is only left up in the air as speculations and they'll never really know. yet, all's said and done and its time to move on.

Life. huh.

shadowken9 said:
Something about this anime just doesn't feel right...I never read the original novels but from what I can tell the characters don't seem to be displaying the right emotions. For one Chitanda is coming out as very annoying to me but it doesn't seem like it's intended to be like that. It's more apparent with the rest of the main cast in this episode. The emotions they're displaying when Oreki messes up seem too out of place. For example with Satoshi it should've been more like:

Instead however we get:

"Hey dude. We need to talk." with a look so serious you'd think Oreki offended his family or something.

I mean seriously it just looks like they're angry at Oreki for something they couldn't do themselves in the first place... Who would react like that? >.>

Yeah, I felt that too watching the episode, which is why I wasn't exactly psyched about the first half. reading the novels may help a bit in understanding some things buuut.... I don't know where to find em.
Thatguy31Jul 1, 2012 6:05 PM
Jul 1, 2012 6:05 PM

Oct 2011
Oreki seemed so depressive this episode.
It's not as if the world's over right? He just messed up a bit.

Just a guess
Jul 1, 2012 6:12 PM

Jul 2009
shadowken9 said:

Instead however we get:

Literally all it is, is amplified drama.

Think about it, if they acted more "Realistic" then the anime would really lose that serious tone it has going for it. The fact that they all seem so into it makes it far more intense. It does feel unnatural, but it is fiction so it is allowed, and the setting is... you know, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (Oreki and Satoshi) in the modern day as anime characters, even though I made that connection before Holmes became a common theme in the anime. I dunno, it kind of fits together in the end.
Jul 1, 2012 6:13 PM

May 2008
About the orange text, this is also just a guess but

Psychodrake said:
Literally all it is, is amplified drama.

Think about it, if they acted more "Realistic" then the anime would really lose that serious tone it has going for it. The fact that they all seem so into it makes it far more intense. It does feel unnatural, but it is fiction so it is allowed, and the setting is... you know, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (Oreki and Satoshi) in the modern day as anime characters, even though I made that connection before Holmes became a common theme in the anime. I dunno, it kind of fits together in the end.

The point of amplifying drama would be to keep the audience interested. The unnatural feel of this all is more repelling than interesting. My theory on this is that they were more realistic in the novel however the director is misinterpreting the emotions. Well that's just a theory though.
shadowken9Jul 1, 2012 6:18 PM
Jul 1, 2012 6:17 PM

Oct 2011
Good episode once again, though I feel bad for Oreki :(

Jul 1, 2012 6:19 PM

Jul 2011
shadowken9 said:
About the orange text, this is also just a guess but

I thought it was the scriptwriter's friend... but Oreki's sister makes sense too.

I thought this episode was very dramatic... even Oreki look really pissed off. And the characters felt OOC... but oh well.

I laughed when Oreki rolled around on the bed then fell off. Gotta love him.
Jul 1, 2012 6:25 PM

Nov 2008
One of the best episodes so far!

I hope that this will not be the last we see of Fuyumi. I was curious as to whom she had asked about Houtarou's abilities and his sister came to mind and it seems like I was correct, that leaves one more person?
Jul 1, 2012 6:52 PM

Apr 2012
It's just insanely incredible how much drama was put into such a pointless school movie..
Including that aforementioned "wrong" emotions the character had this time. Annoyed the hell out of me.
Also Ibara was surprisingly nice to Oreki when she realizes how he reacted to her opinion about the end of the movie..
After all one of the worst episodes in my opinion but still better than that 20-min-just-sitting-around-and-talk episode 9.

Ah well, at least it's over now with that stupid movie (for the most part).. besides..that thing with the rope.. the rope wasn't acutally needed, I mean it's a movie, why should someone risk himself on climbing from level to level of a building just to "play" an assault that was never real or filmed in the first place? Seems like a major fault in this whole arc for me.
Just weird how focused people are on the rope - within the anime and in front of it without thinking about that.
However I am no fan of Sherlock Holmes or any combinatorics so..moving right along~
Jul 1, 2012 7:07 PM

Dec 2011
So now the pressure's on for Oreki. Seems like a great way to develop his character.

I'm also curious on who was Irisu chatting with online.
Jul 1, 2012 7:07 PM

Jun 2010
I get the whole thing, but I'm just confused about that whole chat thing Irisu had.

Jul 1, 2012 7:09 PM

Oct 2011
Holy crap...... So much drama over a single little movie.
But I guess I know where it comes from, as I've filmed an amateur movie under similar circumstances as well. Not fun, TBH.

Anyways, I can't believe it was that simple of a mystery. It wasn't really a "mystery" that Hongou was filming, though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2012 7:11 PM

Dec 2011
13man18 said:
I get the whole thing, but I'm just confused about that whole chat thing Irisu had.
A possible conspiracy going on?
Jul 1, 2012 7:11 PM

Jul 2010
-MgZ_ said:
Anyways, can somebody translate that whole chat with Irisu and whoever that is? Any idea who that is? She called him/her "senpai" so I guess it's Houtaro's sister? Or no.

It is Hotarou's sister.
Tomoe-neesan basically said that Irisu didn't actually want to help anyone but herself. Irisu thinks that Hongou's script was trash (Remember Hotarou also said that Irisu does not care for those who doesn't have talents) and she wants to have somebody else to finish it, thus trying to lie to everyone and the Oreki siblings.

That hit Irisu pretty hard and tries to defend herself, but Tomoe-neesan already logged out.
Jul 1, 2012 7:17 PM

Dec 2011
redd530 said:
-MgZ_ said:

It is Hotarou's sister.
Tomoe-neesan basically said that Irisu didn't actually want to help anyone but herself. Irisu thinks that Hongou's script was trash (Remember Hotarou also said that Irisu does not care for those who doesn't have talents) and she wants to have somebody else to finish it, thus trying to lie to everyone and the Oreki siblings.

That hit Irisu pretty hard and tries to defend herself, but Tomoe-neesan already logged out.
I bloody knew it. Well, at least, a few minutes ago but I thought it sounded stupid. :/
Jul 1, 2012 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
Wow. That was great. I felt bad for Oreki. But then again, he was starting to think highly of himself, but that was because how everyone around treated him. Irisu must be a Kohai of Oreki's sister who is abroad right now. But Japan is 4 hours from India, that's one third of the half of the globe, if you take it literally, just over thinking I guess.

I liked both the way the mystery was solved and the way Oreki found out that Irisu was behind it. And he had the clue from Satoshi referring him as "The Strength" in the team. If anything, I find Satoshi more mysterious.

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 1, 2012 7:22 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Drama the Animated Series.

I turned out without drama this series is too boring. Drama is good people! Unless it's the facepalming kind...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 1, 2012 7:25 PM

Feb 2012
Oh shit, Irisu was the "culprit" but I still want her to be part of the main cast.

I didn't like how serious Satoshi and Inaba were when they told Oreki he was wrong, it's not like the world was going to end, so out of place.

Loved it when Oreki admitted he is being controlled by the girls.

As for the other person in the chat, would his sister call him an idiot?
ZhouJul 1, 2012 7:30 PM
Jul 1, 2012 7:26 PM

Jan 2011
really liked this episode though Houtarou wasn't acting like his normal self but i understand why he got angry,cant wait for next week~.
Jul 1, 2012 7:43 PM

Feb 2012
Arc is finally over.

Oreki was used :(. I feel bad for him but atleast it's over.

Next ep looks fun. Eru jumping = win :D

spartan112g said:
I'm going with the "senpai" being Oreki's sister. It seems like it works with the "half-way around the world" idea and who else would have recommended Oreki to her.
That sounds likely. I'm sure his sister wants to make sure her brother's not bored while in the club lol.

razor39999 said:
So much pointless drama around a school movie.
It wasn't pointless if it turned out Oreki was used just to finish the movie. I'd be pissed too if I was lied to just to produce results.
YveseJul 1, 2012 7:48 PM
Jul 1, 2012 7:47 PM

Dec 2007
Now all those people that asked why they didn't ask the script writer can shut up. lol

nantuko said:
Ah well, at least it's over now with that stupid movie (for the most part).. besides..that thing with the rope.. the rope wasn't acutally needed, I mean it's a movie, why should someone risk himself on climbing from level to level of a building just to "play" an assault that was never real or filmed in the first place? Seems like a major fault in this whole arc for me.
Just weird how focused people are on the rope - within the anime and in front of it without thinking about that.
However I am no fan of Sherlock Holmes or any combinatorics so..moving right along~

They were probably going to film the climbing too. If they didn't it wouldn't explain how she got over to the other side to assault the guy. Did you even watch this episode? The film was changed to what the script writer had planned.
WhaleCostumeJul 1, 2012 7:52 PM
Jul 1, 2012 7:57 PM

Dec 2011
PikachuXD said:
Meh no one's perfect. Flattery from a pretty chick voiced by CC would def throw off my rhythm too.

This, and I hope Irisu will still be in the upcoming episode since she's an interesting character(and hot too). But I really hate it how Satoshi and Ibara act towards Oreki, it's not like they are helping him soliving the case since they have their own "problems" and left Oreki all alone to solve it. I'm glad that Chitanda didn't being an as like both of them, and things are looking good between oreki and Chitanda, I hope there will be romance between them eventually.

I wonder who is the person that Irisu called Senpai? That senpai seem to know Oreki very well so It might be Oreki's sister? I think it's possible since Oreki's sister is an alumni in that school.

Overall nice episode, love to see so much emotion coming from Oreki.
Jul 1, 2012 7:58 PM

Apr 2012
Hey I was right about it involving the other windows which were open..
Jul 1, 2012 8:11 PM

Jul 2009
Bleh... lol
It was good but I feel cheated for some reason.
Jul 1, 2012 8:13 PM

Sep 2007
I was highly amused at how srs biz this episode was. Mystery orange person is clearly Houtarou's older sister.
Jul 1, 2012 8:29 PM

Jul 2010
I like the episode but I have to agree that it was way too dramatic. It was just an amateur movie, I was really bothered by how the other characters reacted when they realized Houtarou was wrong. Especially Satoshi, his outburst seemed completely out of character for something that really wasn't that important.

But I can't blame Houtarou for getting so mad. If I were a person who avoided doing things and never really thought of himself as anything truly special, and someone hyped up my abilities and got me to go out of my way to do something, only to find out that not only was I used but I completely failed in the task I set out to accomplish I'd be pretty pissed too.

Anyway, despite the extreme drama I enjoyed this episode a lot, though I hope in the future the show can avoid pointless drama.

4/5
Jul 1, 2012 8:36 PM

Aug 2010
I don't get why everyone was acting like a bunch of assholes towards Oreki...it's true that he screwed up in finding what Hongou wanted, but he did what he was misled to do (writing an awesome plot) so he did...and nobody helped him, nobody actually deciphered what happen...so they don't really have a say in it.
Jul 1, 2012 8:39 PM

Jan 2009
Yup way too much drama over a high school movie. Was interesting to see the angry side of Houtarou. He does his job in trying to determine the "right ending" for the movie, then gets bombarded by his friends for the missing information. Then he learns that he was only being used to make a "unexpected ending." Too much for one brain to handle i guess.

So both Houtarou and Irisu are the fools. Houtarou by being used and Irisu by getting called out on her deception.
Jul 1, 2012 8:52 PM

Feb 2012
It was odd how overly emotional everyone was lololol
Jul 1, 2012 9:06 PM

Aug 2010
Yeah, Irisu might have been doing Hougou a service by having the script changed because the rest of the class would not have liked it.
Jul 1, 2012 9:26 PM

Nov 2008
xMusicMohawk said:
I don't get why everyone was acting like a bunch of assholes towards Oreki...it's true that he screwed up in finding what Hongou wanted, but he did what he was misled to do (writing an awesome plot) so he did...and nobody helped him, nobody actually deciphered what happen...so they don't really have a say in it.

I so agree!! I was getting mad at everyone for making him feel that way : (
It may be because I like Oreki a lot, but seriously, they weren't coming up with anything better.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jul 1, 2012 9:31 PM

Jun 2012
I think Oreki's ending prior to the rope was better than the one he specified at the end of this episode, it seemed a lot more "thrilling" and "interesting." But since the rope had to play an intricate part in the story, his new-ending makes a lot more sense.

His club-mates seemed to really beat him up about failing to solve it the first time around, that was just unnecessary.

Can't wait for the next episode! With all of the development, I'm really anticipating the next mystery.
Jul 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Jul 2009
Great ep!
Oreki was kinda tough on himself though D:
I'm starting to enjoy this show more and more... :3
Jul 1, 2012 9:48 PM

Feb 2012
Feeling bad for Oreki after that. I mean, Irisu just comes off as cold and emotionless. I hate her. Everyone ganged up on Oreki, and honestly, I hope he acts a bit vengeful towards the other three. They couldn't have told him all this shit before? And honestly, everyone loved it, and Hongou's "no-dying" story would have sucked hard. If I was Oreki, I'd go back to my low-energy lifestyle. Oreki literally got nothing out of that but anger and depression. He made a perfect movie, and even though everyone loved it, he's made out to be a failure. Fuck that, next time, tell 'em to make the damn movie without you. Then see what happens.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jul 1, 2012 10:26 PM

Feb 2012
razor39999 said:
Yvese said:
It wasn't pointless if it turned out Oreki was used just to finish the movie. I'd be pissed too if I was lied to just to produce results.

The fact that it didn't cross their minds to just ask Hongou how she wanted to end it, the silly raging Satoshi (and to a lesser degree Ibara), the fact that at the end of the day it's just a freaking school movie that won't be seen by more than a few hundred people, oh yeah, so completely pointless. Just like every other "mystery" in this show. And even the whole thought process behind Irisu wanting to go such a roundabout way instead of asking Hongou to just modify the script slightly. I mean seriously this whole thing could've been avoided if she just asked nicely. Stupid drama ftw.
Did you even 'watch' the ep? It sounds like you ignored most of it due to you being annoyed. It was made pretty clear why they didn't ask Hongou. Like half the ep talked about it. How could you miss that?
Jul 1, 2012 10:30 PM

Feb 2012
The drama between Oreki and Satoshi and Irisu felt way too dramatic... didnt fit with the overall feel of the series. Senpai in the conversation is obviously Oreki's sis. And everyone is still too harsh on Oreki. Great episode despite the drama did bring down the episode a bit imo.
Jul 1, 2012 10:47 PM

May 2011
xMusicMohawk said:
This. Wtf at the way Satoshi and Ibara were talking to him afterwards it was as if they were looking down on him and blaming him or something.

So Irisu was the whole mastermind behind everything and she used whatever means possible to get what she wanted. She makes me feel bad for Hongou. That senpai that she was talking to at the end was ftw, love the way she just signed off like that. I agree with the people who say that's Houtarou's sister. And damnn I never thought I'd see Houtarou get mad like that.
Jul 1, 2012 11:02 PM
Oct 2010
-MgZ_ said:
Nothing really much to say. That drama is too much drama. Didn't expect Hyouka to do this. I mean... Bah.
Too much indeed... Overdone I'd even say. The open disappointment from their hero being imperfect and Oreki's anger toward Irisu (he looked ready to punch her at any moment). It gave me an icky teen angst vibe.

Anyway, since the film had already gone against the script, Oreki's answer might have been the only choice fitting the clues, was there really a need to be so hard on him? ... Maybe that's why he got so mad at Irisu playing him, displaced frustration...
AjunkyJul 1, 2012 11:07 PM
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.