Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 23, 2008 2:01 PM
Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What can we say after watching a movie such as this one? Everything is perfect for an introduction to a legendary series, perhaps the best ever created in Japan. Brilliant, movie, brilliant series, brilliant novels, well, GinEiDen is just incredible...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 23, 2008 5:55 PM

May 2008
Great movie. The characters and politics were intriguing and the soundtrack was amazing. I can't wait to watch the OVA series now!
Nov 12, 2008 1:47 PM

Mar 2008
I'm not sure what to think after watching this, and I'm not sure what to rate it either. First impression: nice soundtrack + ancient animation. I'll rate it after I've seen more of the franchise, starting with the 110-episode OVA.

I'm happy I got to see it though, the torrent took me 3 weeks. :P
Dec 5, 2008 5:12 PM

Feb 2008
PBz0r said:
I'm not sure what to think after watching this, and I'm not sure what to rate it either. First impression: nice soundtrack + ancient animation. I'll rate it after I've seen more of the franchise, starting with the 110-episode OVA.

The animation is barely considered ancient, I was pleasantly surprised by the animation quality actually.
Dec 5, 2008 5:22 PM

Apr 2008
Orange-kun said:
PBz0r said:

The animation is barely considered ancient, I was pleasantly surprised by the animation quality actually.

Looks a whole lot better than most stuff its age and quite a few younger than it.
Feb 17, 2009 1:28 PM

Nov 2007
Oh how I've missed you LOGH. Amazing movie, it is indeed the perfect introduction to the brilliant series. I think it's time for me to watch the rest of the prequel stuff then rewatch the series.
Mar 8, 2009 8:31 PM

Feb 2008
Ahem...so where were we again?
Mar 8, 2009 8:42 PM

Jan 2008
Job Truniht lost your phone number in the MAL crash of Spring 2009.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 8, 2009 8:43 PM

Feb 2009
Damn! I was hoping for Job to seriously fuck some shit up.
Mar 8, 2009 8:48 PM

Feb 2008
I should like sign up for the role of 'Magician' now. Where do i sign up?

Nayah, the Magician....has a nice ring to it....
kinda.....
maybe not.
Mar 11, 2009 11:16 PM

Sep 2007
heh, I definitely should have watched this before seeing the series. Oh well.

Great stuff - as great as the series. Yang Wenli is a badass. The only badass I know who prefers tea.
Apr 2, 2009 6:25 PM

Dec 2007
I don't know what it was about this but i couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I see it as almost a 100% guarantee that the series will become a favorite of mine if the series is as good as people say. Every single thing was brilliant, i don't have a single complaint or anything close to one.

9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2009 5:43 AM

Jan 2008
Epic is the word for it indeed. The soundtrack was outstanding and the animation was quite decent for that time too. However, the quality of the sound with all those background noises and the video, being poorly deinterlaced bugged me a little.

The story was impressive, and looks very promising for a beginning of an epic and the characters were likable.

Edit: oh! and Bolero FTW!
HaiAlwaysHungryMay 3, 2009 6:18 AM
May 5, 2009 8:06 AM

Nov 2007
My first foray in to LoGH. Rather enjoyed it (it didn't blow me away, but it was good) so I'll be chasing up the rest.
May 29, 2009 1:48 PM

Mar 2008
This was spectacular!
And hearing Bolero was a pleasant surprise! ^_^
Jun 14, 2009 5:00 PM

Jul 2008
I really liked the use of classical music in this movie (like Ravel's Bolero during one of the battles, and the 2nd movement of Pathétique during the random bar fight).

Though I'll admit I was getting bored after a while but as soon as the hostage situation happened I was all O___O instead of :|

I've got to say, if I ever saw a live-action version of this I would die from spazzing.

I'm definitely interested in where the rest of the series goes from here.

BEGINNER
Jul 27, 2009 4:28 AM

Jun 2009
Impressive.. I gave it a nine. Because i'm sure it'll just get better from here.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2009 7:49 PM

Feb 2009
Nice movie. Great sound track and amazing characters and story. Although the imperialists look like real imperialists the democratic forces resemble a sickly communism or even dictatorship under the cover of democracy. Something more like half a**ed republics in middle east, Asia and some African countries. It might be too soon to decide about that and I'm sure I need to watch more of this franchise before passing a judgment. For now I'll proceed to watching the main series and I'm sure if it's anything like this movie, I'll be really enjoying it.

Aug 16, 2009 9:38 PM
Jun 2009
If it gets better from here... I'm game.
Nov 17, 2009 2:25 PM

May 2009
Well that was fucking awesome. If the OVA is 110 episodes of this, I'm going to love it.
Nov 27, 2009 2:08 PM

Jun 2009
LotGH has brought new feelings to me. As I'm into sci-fi literature, it reminded me reading a classical space opera book a bit, 'cause the pace is similar and revealing of characters is being made the same way. So, of course, they are attractive. For 88 animation is great, soundtrack is also good. In general, quality is an excellence of this anime.
Enjoyed it pretty much, but though can't call it a masterpiece. 8/10 is my choice, consider it to be rated from 7.5 to 9 depending on one's taste.
Will watch OVA as soon as it's downloaded... 110 eps, OMG :) . But I worry about other movies, 'cause, as I understand, its' director differs from that in the movie and OVAs. We'll see...
Dec 11, 2009 2:22 PM

Apr 2009
man this was quite an awesome movie damn..
its officially. i'm in love with the anime )
i'll watch the ova's next days...
man those 2 characters are awesome)
Dec 24, 2009 9:13 AM

May 2008
Well using Ravel's Bolero for the whole battle was certainly special.
Dec 29, 2009 3:00 AM
Oct 2009
oh so thats how they met....
May 16, 2010 10:34 PM

Aug 2008
I almost cracked up at Yang's stunt in taking Reinhard's ship 'hostage.' A total Yang Wenli moment/maneuver.
May 26, 2010 10:45 AM

Feb 2010
Just watched the movie as my entry to LOGH and I really enjoyed it. Surprisingly I wasn't overwhelmed by the number of characters (I suppose there are more in the series) and I also quickly adjusted to the animation style. The only annoying thing was the (non-)timing and structure of the subtitles, but well, thats not the fault of the anime ^^.
I also enjoyed the german text during the intro *gg*
Definitely looking forward to Overture to a New War and the series.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 19, 2010 10:24 AM
Jan 2009
I saw the first 2 eps of the main series.
Found them unbearably boring.
Then a friend advised me to watch this first.
I'm glad I did. It was entertaining.
Now I'll watch the rest of the movies and then I'll start the main series again.
Feb 20, 2011 3:35 AM
Nov 2009
This was better than I thought. Good intro for the 110 ep ova. Gonna start watching that soon.
May 1, 2011 8:04 PM

Apr 2011
Good animation, probably the best from the 80s.

gave me Death Note vibes much more than the actual series.
Jun 27, 2011 5:35 PM

Aug 2009
Great introduction!

One to episode 1 of the ova.
Jul 8, 2011 7:26 AM

Aug 2010
Reinhard is just badass
Jul 9, 2011 4:41 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty good intro.
Jul 16, 2011 11:26 AM

Jan 2011
Love this movie a lot, cleared up a lot about the beginning of the ova series
Oct 10, 2011 1:23 PM

Jun 2009
After 3 long years I re-watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and....it was glorious. I think I appreciated it even more this time because I know what is to come. Yang Wenli and Reinhard Von Lohengramm are spectacular characters and the battle sequence at the end of the movie was amazing. Going to be re-watching the main series.

Edit; Hopefully this doesn't roll back..
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 30, 2011 12:00 PM

Apr 2009
Love this hair. LOL
Nov 24, 2011 6:24 PM
Feb 2011
Well that was fucking awesome.

Napoleon Bonaparte vs The Duke of Wellington in space for 110 episodes? I'm going to love this.. and the SCALE! Holy shit!

9/10
Dec 3, 2011 8:53 AM

Aug 2010
Wow this movie is an epic introduction to the main series as it sets the stage for the two main characters! ! And now i can't wait to watch the main series!
Jan 27, 2012 1:50 AM

May 2009
That was a wonderful intro to the series, it made me want to see more.
And like others have noted, the fluid animation was such a pleasant surprise! It was gorgeous.

Oh, Ravel's bolero playing throughout the battle sequence was hilarious, but oddly so perfect! It's like Reinhard's just sitting back and all relaxed as he watches the battles unfold. It's ingenious.

And is it wrong to love the characters already? My reasons are petty - Reinhard has gorgeous hair and
naikou said:
Yang Wenli is a badass. The only badass I know who prefers tea.
Feb 21, 2012 5:04 AM
Nov 2010
I should have watched this before the 110 episodes OVA. Oh well, I enjoyed it a lot, one of my favorite battles without a doubt.
Ravel's Bolero stole the show for me. I have seen other animes using this masterpiece as their soundtrack, but this time was very fitting.
Mar 7, 2012 2:24 AM

Feb 2012
I hadn't even heard of this series before I joined this site so I have no idea what's ahead. This was an enjoyable movie. It's hard to give this a score though because it's so obvious this is not meant to stand alone, the ending has that "to be continued" feeling. I appreciated the fact that the OVA managed to be exciting without resorting to cheap manipulation or obviously evil characters. Maybe some of the macho stuff was a bit ridiculous but I'll just go with the flow and see what happens.

The space battles were unpredictable and the music was great. Animation quality was also good. Sometimes I wonder whether older anime should be evaluated regarding animation, but the things that are important will remain the same and in the end the amount of glossiness or realism that newer techniques offer aren't the main thing. There were a lot of details and interesting angles which contribute to the series being visually interesting.
Mar 21, 2012 10:03 PM

Feb 2012
Well, here we are. The beginning. 59 minutes into this thing and I'm already captivated. Almost everything about this was perfect, and that includes the animation -- I'm amazed that anyone can count the animation against Legend of the Galactic Heroes, when it seems to be one of its strongest aspects. There's a level of expressiveness in each character's face -- even those of the one-time, one-line bit characters -- that some anime with sleeker, more polished animation can't match. And the soundtrack! -- Bolero is an overused song, but its inclusion here was well thought out.

All Reinhard needed was one enemy commander to call his bluff on the battlefield-crossing gambit, but in hindsight, that was brilliant: he knew from the battle at Legnica -- where the enemy remained below cloud level to avoid his fleet -- that the enemy commanders were overly cautious, and that none of them would open fire even if he waltzed in front of them. Immediately, Reinhard strikes me as a make-lemonade-when-life-throws-you-lemons kind of man. He was able to reconcile the order to advance from his Imperial superior, Muckenberger, and his compulsion not to make unnecessary sacrifices of his personnel -- two of the "problems" he mentioned at the end of the film -- through clever tactics.

Right now, I'm more interested in Reinhard as a character, but that's probably because of the insight into his family (having just finished Code Geass, I can already see Lelouch having drawn some of his character from Reinhard, and I haven't even started the actual OVA). But Yang's indifference intrigues me: he puts a good deal of weight onto the question "which side should I choose?" -- even staking 500 units of currency on it -- but is able to walk away without caring about the answer. He's a historian first and foremost. But then why did he volunteer to head the decoy fleet?
May 14, 2012 8:45 PM

Jun 2009
3rd time watching this movie. I just cannot say enough how the battle scene with Bolero playing the entire time is probably one of my all time favorite scenes in pretty much anything. It gives me goosebumps how well orchestrated that scene is, culminating in Yang pulling a Yang.

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 28, 2012 3:26 AM

Nov 2010
This was the best of the sub-shows of LoGH so far, I wonder how Overture will fare compared to this
About that strategy that Reinhard made on the 4th Battle, If I were the commander of the Alliance fleet, I wouldn't have hesitated giving the waltzing fleet a blow, from what I was seeing it doesn't matter if Reinhard had a plan or not, if they did attack Reinhard, his fleet would have undoubtedly been annihilated even faster than the main fleet of the Empire would reach the firing distance. If it were me, I wouldn't have conjured a plan that would result in either all or nothing, but who knows, maybe it was the only way out, after all, Muckenberger was practically selling him.

And the Bolero soundtrack was a perfect match for the battle, it's one of the few pieces they actually played in full length, and it did a marvelous job at that, perfectly done!
Apr 20, 2013 4:12 AM

Sep 2008
A very solid start. I'll have to find the time to watch the entire 110 ep series sometime.
Dec 14, 2013 6:40 AM
Feb 2011
"...we'll be known as the 'staff of the Admiral in the skirt.'"
"Maybe the 'staff caught in the stockings?'"
Mittermeyer, please.

I definitely should've watched this before the series. This cleared a bit of my confusion with that huge cast of characters. The battle scene with Bolero playing in the background was genius.
Feb 2, 2014 4:04 PM

Sep 2008
That was epic. Reinhard and Yang are two lovable enemies. I wonder what kind of acts we will see from them in 110 episode OVA... I also really liked soundtrack. It helps to keep that early 1900 atmosphere.
Feb 14, 2014 11:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Watching this film again. The scene featuring Bolero might be one of the most finely directed scenes in the history of anime.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 20, 2014 9:21 AM

Jan 2014
The war as seen from few different minds, each of them is actually right, yet wrong. Because war itself is neither.
An awesome movie, indeed. Realy interesting introduction to the main OVA. Can't wait to start watching that one!
May 22, 2014 7:54 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, that music. loved it.

now i have to watch the OVA's ... looking forward to it.
Jul 12, 2014 7:05 PM

Jul 2012
The music was fantastic. Good selection of classical. Loved the clarinet pieces.

Unfortunately, it didn't really peak my interest at all. But I will continue on with the next movie (Overture) as well as the OVA.

edit - rewatched it again because I was half asleep last time. Good, very solid intro movie. Still a bit lengthy and too much dialogue but I like where it's going.
MayukaJul 20, 2014 2:30 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Before or after

Oznerol7 - Dec 18, 2021

7 by Adatius »»
Dec 16, 2023 12:39 PM

» What does the German intro say?

HagePotPotato - Nov 9, 2023

0 by HagePotPotato »»
Nov 9, 2023 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.