Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sunshine Sketch
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2007 3:34 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haha, guest starring: Kugimiya, Rie! That was awesome.

Nice final episode, wish there were more though. Chika is a cute character, just like the others. Yunocchi for instance was so cute when she fell asleep. And Miya-chan owned again, "The word 'plan' does not exist in my dictionary." xD

I enjoyed this show a lot so it gets a 9 from me.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 8, 2007 9:42 AM

Jun 2007
It was really a nice ending. I liked the last scene showing Yuno's dreams about the new year. I give this series a 8.
Nov 26, 2007 6:13 AM

Nov 2007
This series was great. Wish it could have gone on longer. Lol @ the principle santa. Overall I believe this was a good ending though. =)
Nov 26, 2007 6:21 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
nOObman said:
This series was great. Wish it could have gone on longer.

Look forward to the second season. (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 26, 2007 7:56 AM

Nov 2007
cyruz said:
nOObman said:
This series was great. Wish it could have gone on longer.

Look forward to the second season. (:

=O I had no clue they were making a second season. You just made my day great! Thanks!
Dec 9, 2007 10:01 PM

Nov 2007
I hope we get more Kugimiya Rie in the 2nd season.
Aug 4, 2008 8:55 PM

Jan 2008
Great series and great ending. Off to watch the OVA then the 2nd series :D
9/10
Sep 12, 2008 5:55 PM

Dec 2007
Was a pretty good series, was worth watching in my mind. I'll be watching the second one, probably starting on it tomorrow.

#NBHNC
Oct 19, 2008 12:03 AM

Jul 2008
Ah, much fun! Very happy I watched this series.

The entire bath scene before was quite embarrassing to watch with other people in the room, though. XDD
Dec 20, 2008 4:02 PM

Jul 2008
Wow, Kugimiya Rie. When I heard her voice, it just made my day.

Decent ending, 9/10 from me. ^^
Jan 3, 2009 11:17 AM

Jun 2008
solid 7. was very good watch, very peaceful and all that...
Apr 6, 2009 12:20 PM
Dec 2008
great series, but unfortunately the quality of the first episode remains unmatched. i wonder why they didn't stick that kind of 'information overload' pacing.
May 24, 2009 2:15 AM
Oct 2007
Yeah! Great series 9/10 :D

Kieru... kieru
Sep 21, 2009 10:15 PM
Oct 2007
I like how each episode is dated and they're not exactly in chronological order either. That was fun catching those dates.

So that is Kugimiya Rie! No wonder I thought Chika sounded so familiar right of the bat.

So Sae is a tsundere, lol.

8/10. It was too subtle and boring at times. Overall, very enjoyable slice of life still.

Off to watch special and x365 now. XD
Sep 30, 2009 12:52 AM

May 2008
Haha loved the principle and yoshinoba in santa outfit
anyway chika was cute ^^

as i rewatched this series, it does deserve a 9/10 ^^
Oct 3, 2009 3:10 AM

Jan 2009
Thought it was a cute series. Very laid back with some good LOL moments. I give it a 8/10.
Oct 11, 2010 7:40 PM
Aug 2008
Yeah, Chika's so adorable!

Um... since she's at the glass door already...

Whoa. aiming for a kabuki actor.

"I had to everything myself..."

Chika looks slightly taller than Hiro.

Yes, that would be the ideal, Yoshinoya-sensei, but the reality is often different, in my observation.

I wonder if they're playing Fruits Basket rules...

..bored? Was that supposed to be "bored"?

"You can' wait, can you?"

Oh that was so CUTE!

Floorplan mode!

CAR

Bent Yoshinoya!

Penny-farthing!

Yeah, Miyako's a survivor...

That's some kind of camera, to take pictures of things like: li'l Yuno holding Nyanta as a mouse firework goes off; Yoshinoya's disembodied head in the corner as Yuno wears that thing with the kanji on it, and sporting Blank White Eyes...

Awwww, stroking Chika's hair...

And it seems Sae bought the snow globe. :)
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Oct 11, 2010 7:44 PM
Aug 2008
post removed; looks like it took after all?
NyperoldApr 14, 2011 10:09 AM
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Apr 1, 2011 4:53 AM

Feb 2010
Show didn't impress me at first, and Shaft's animation style bugged me for a while. The characters and art style grew on me pretty quick though and I ended up really liking it. Gonna take the other seasons and OVAs a bit more slowly since I busted through this in just a couple days.

Stuff is really relaxing, good to watch an episode right before bed.
PaiguyApr 1, 2011 9:37 AM
May 12, 2011 10:52 AM

Apr 2010
Loved this series, So I'm giving it a 10. It's really been helping me to calm down and realax after doing a lot of work recently :'3

If you don't remember something, it never happened. If you aren't remembered, you never existed. <3
Jun 27, 2011 10:28 PM

May 2010
This is the perfect show for relaxing a little bit but not too much. Like, Aria is the most relaxing show ever, but sometimes it's just too much for me if I'm already kind of relaxed. A hot bath feels best after a day of hard work, but if you've been taking it easy, sometimes a cool shower feels better. Aria is like the hot bath and this is like the cool shower. Anyways, since I've stopped making sense, I'll shut up now...
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 23, 2012 8:39 AM

Apr 2009
A nice and heartwarming anime original last episode. This way pretty enjoyable although I prefer the manga by far.

I deliberated giving this a 7 or maybe even a 8 but I don't think I can give more than 6 for a couple of reasons.

I don't think the nonlinear way of telling the story suits this. Maybe it has some kind of message that the days remain the same and carefree but I think it's just unnecessarily complicated and doesn't really make up for the benefit of consistency. The characters have some development, like when they face their small uncertainities about their future plans and such. I don't like it if the next episode I have to see the said character in square one once again, although it can be seen as a flashback or something. Also, the time they have spent together makes their interactions more enjoyable. I don't think some vague message makes up for what shortcomings this choice has.

Deduction also comes from fanservice shots of Yuno, I can't approve of this D: It's not like it went overboard or anything and it's possible such thoughts were all in my head but it still was not fitting. And I'm not a fan of all weird zoom-ins, references to other Shaft works and 3D art inserts..
Oct 23, 2012 1:21 AM

Sep 2012
That was a good series. It's a pity that I had no clue of its existence until the beginning of the fourth season... I'll continue it to catch up with the actual episodes.
Oct 25, 2012 6:16 PM

Mar 2012
This series is adorable.
May 14, 2013 1:28 AM

Nov 2010
Had so much fun watching it. one of the good slice of life anime.
Jan 12, 2014 4:24 PM

Aug 2012
I think my life span was extended after finishing this series. I love Mebae Drive!!
Feb 18, 2014 5:40 PM

May 2012
Not bad,but you really see that this anime is made to have a sequel as the ending is rather too open! Either way this anime was pretty decent in general with some lovely and cute characters and with some great expressions :D

Let's see what the specials and second season has to offer!
Apr 25, 2014 7:35 PM

Sep 2011
Yuno and Miyako :33
8/10
Aug 1, 2014 12:10 AM

Aug 2013
Ahhh I wish we get more Chika for S2!

I love it but I still don't get why the episodes aren't in chronological order. Is there some reason why they had to do that?

8/10.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 6, 2014 1:38 AM

Jul 2012
Well, it had it's moments and a nice OST to aid the calming and relaxing feels. However, it didn't strike me as anything special and there really wasn't anything memorable. The direction style wasn't my cup of tea either. It's funny but I couldn't figure out if I was bored or just relaxed half the time.

In the end, I would still say it's a good watch but I don't feel any desire to continue with the sequels. At least, not yet. I'll probably appreciate it more with time.
Oct 12, 2014 4:17 PM

Oct 2012
An ok ep to end this yet the previous ones were bit better.

In the end, I liked this show, even though I still think Shaft animation isn't the best thing that would suit this show. The characters are cute though. Sometime it was a bit random to my taste but other times it was funny or heartwarming. This show has lot to be deserved but I still enjoyed it and I am looking forward to another season.

6/10
Apr 23, 2015 7:52 AM

Oct 2009
It was alright.
May 18, 2015 11:03 AM

May 2010
Great slice of life. Improved my mood by a good deal whenever I needed something comforting to watch. Also, love tidbits of odd scenes here and there.

9 or 9.5/10. It was beautiful. On to next season.
Feb 8, 2016 6:16 PM

Dec 2013
Nice ending. Chika and Sae's interactions are cute tho, although they seem to argue a lot XD

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Dec 13, 2016 2:34 PM

Jun 2016
8/10 overall, which is a high rating for me.
Miya will forever be best girl from this series.
Thank you Shaft + Akiyuki Shinbou.
Jul 26, 2019 12:52 AM

Jul 2011
I thought the review by WeeaboColin really nailed how I felt about Hidamari Sketch. Enjoyed how down-to-earth and "real" the show felt. Curious if the show will continue as it has so far or if they decide to change it up a bit. Either way, looking forward to it.
Sep 13, 2019 7:40 PM

Oct 2015
I'm glad Sae finally gave Chika that autograph, after treating her a bit coldly in the entire episode. But that was cute nonetheless, I just love it when siblings make up without words, but gestures instead! That Christmas cake looked real and delicious, nice Christmas episode.

Overall this was a laid back series, too bad it was complicated for me to figure out! Like how did Yuno ended up there and became friends with those three? I hated the fact we had to arrange those dates in a chronology, in order to figure out the start. Too much hustle, that I didn't have time for. But nevertheless I will watch season 2 or was it the specials?

For now its a 6/10 from me.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 1, 2021 8:52 AM

Nov 2018
So Chika was introduced this episode who is Sae Little Sister, HMM.. at first their relationship was kinda have problem, but actually is just how their interact with each other like family. Oh I really love that kind of relationship to be, for me it tend to be more various moments that can be remembered beautifully.

Chika really have a fun time with Sae and everyone else she meet, Hope in the future Hidamari Sketch we will see more of her.

And in the last few minutes we get to see Miyako, Hiro, Sae, and Yuno Character was night activity after that. with Sae have Snow globe as represent other as Chika Characteristic in the nutshell.

Don't Forget to about Aoki Ume say goobye for this Hidamari this Sketch Season.

And last but not least Yuno say Good Night as represent us to this story will be Continue. That was a great closing for how anime end that got sequel for Slice Of Life.

Hidamari Sketch was a blast to watch from start to finish. With Main 4 Character that involve in natural and fun way that make this show enjoyable to wacth And Shaft unique animation that divided into Usual Cute Art Style And Simple yet Satisfying To Watch Art Style plus with episode using Real Object that blend great with animation (Plus Episode 5 was a really Best Episode from the series with unique phase and story to deliver). Shaft was great with this anime that they make.

But Unfortunately, Sometimes Transition one joke to another kinda off that make it Sometimes have weird to watch, Introduction Episode that have no proper introduction, And Side Character Nozomi that have short air scene that nothing really make her standing as for School Friends/Good Foe.

Still I really Enjoyed watch Hidamari Sketch but can be better experience if the problem fix for later Season of Hidamari Sketch. I really Looking forward to this series and enjoy it again.

9/10 Great CGDCT Anime with Unique Drawing Animation and Great Character Interaction That Will Make Unique Experience
Yunohi-kunJan 15, 2021 6:01 AM
Feb 4, 2021 5:23 AM

Feb 2020
What a heartwarming episode.

It was a good first season.

SerafosJan 8, 1:50 AM
May 4, 2021 7:17 AM

Apr 2019
decent slice of life, shaft's touch was what kept me watching. honestly the only interesting character was miyako

Nov 28, 2021 6:19 PM

Aug 2017
I get it what they were tying to do but this anime is very extremely boring. The only episode i was interesed was the fever dream, the rest? Kinda dull. It doesn't help this anime lacks a proper introduction of characters. Watch Yuru Camp, not this. 3/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 1, 2023 4:53 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
End of the year for the end of the 1st season, that was cute, like the whole anime, and I love Shaft's direction of course
Dec 20, 2023 8:15 AM

Feb 2010
Never a dull episode. Enjoyed rewatching it after 13 years, timeless piece.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 8 Discussion

Faust721 - Jun 11, 2007

26 by Losthevy »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:15 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 3 Discussion

Faust721 - Mar 1, 2007

28 by NakaiHisao »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:51 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 1 Discussion

kei-clone - Feb 9, 2007

42 by Netbug »»
Mar 7, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

19 by Ashhk »»
Feb 1, 2023 4:22 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 10 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

18 by Ashhk »»
Feb 1, 2023 5:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.