Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2008 11:00 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Discuss your thoughts on the episode of Emma!

I loved it when Emma had her hair down, she was so pretty!

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Apr 18, 2009 10:42 PM
Jan 2008
I absolutely love it. The way the characters are drawn is different, but it grew on me and I think it fits the story somehow.
Dec 1, 2009 5:47 AM
Aug 2009
bluegummiworms said:
I absolutely love it. The way the characters are drawn is different, but it grew on me and I think it fits the story somehow.

Surely have a different art, but very simple and nice to see, usually they try complicate simple things and make it worse

Anyway, i just finish see the first episode and I'm very interested in the history, is looks very well done, lets see if this keep like this till the end ;)
Nov 22, 2010 5:44 PM

Sep 2008
I tried to watch this when it first came out over two years ago and it bored me to tears... but maybe my taste in anime has matured and I can now appreciate why this is scored so highly now? We'll see. The beginning was slower than I'm used to, but it was "nice". I liked it. The simple art and soft colours are very aesthetically pleasing, at least in this anime.

I cannot imagine not being able to see clearly. I have 20/15 vision (above average; i.e. I can see in 20 ft what an average person would have to move closer to to see clearly) so I being presented with what the world looks like to someone with not-so-perfect vision... is kind of sad. A blurry world? I wish Emma would ask the "Madam" to get her new ones, but she seems such a modest and timid character so she definitely won't...
Dec 6, 2010 7:39 AM

Sep 2009
Slow paced but interesting :)
Love that it is character driven
Think I'm a sucker for England based animes :p
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 23, 2012 8:19 PM

Jan 2012
holy fuck I'm in love... dat voice, dat face, dat personality, dat everything

I thought this was gonna be a boring story about middle-aged looking lad going through tough times in England based on the cover art..

can't wait for next ep
May 16, 2013 12:34 PM

May 2012
I really like the setting with this one, while the pace is rather slow I still like the atmosphere that's been build here! This anime has potential!
May 31, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2011
Loved the mood and music of this series so far. It gave me an old English atmosphere.

It's an airplane~
First episode is okay. I understand why the title is called 'Gift' or rather 'Present' now. Oh and nice ED song.
Feb 21, 2014 4:26 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm a big fan of the mangaka who did A Bride's Story and it turns out she's the one who did the Emma manga so I'm checking this out first. I'm glad to see them keeping the character designs.

A bit slow paced, but this is definitely a slow burn kind of story. I like the music and the voices.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 5, 2014 7:40 PM

Sep 2013
I like the slice-of-life aspect of this show.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 12, 2014 6:15 AM

Jul 2012
Cookie-chan said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Discuss your thoughts on the episode of Emma!

I loved it when Emma had her hair down, she was so pretty!

I agree she looked cute as a young lady but she's very pretty as a woman

And it's in good old England............glorious
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Sep 12, 2014 3:30 AM

Aug 2013
Wow. First episode and I'm already in love. That was unbelievably sweet! And Emma...ah Emma. She looks plain like if she stands in a crowd, you'd mistake her as one of the mob characters. But when she's in focus, she's so attractive I don't know why :o
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 7, 2015 1:34 PM

Jul 2012
CGI is a bit unfitting, honestly. I didn't expect this series to have it.

But I do like this so far. I ship them already. Male MC is really handsome and cute. The music is A+ so far!
Apr 9, 2015 10:28 AM
Aug 2012
So calm and not speedy series about love...so I could feel old england atmospher
Dec 1, 2015 8:39 AM

Sep 2014
This Anime looks interesting. It was a nice slow paced episode with a calm atmosphere.
May 3, 2016 12:15 PM

Jul 2009
Emma seems to be really popular with guys, seems that she always get letter and turn the guys down, also, she is really pretty with the hair down.
May 29, 2017 6:02 PM

May 2015
This anime seems nice and peaceful, I am enjoying it so far.
Feb 15, 2019 6:18 PM

Nov 2016
One episode in and I'm already in love. The Victorian setting is something I dig(well I like pretty much everything around that timeline, also in other European countries), add the calming yet slightly melancholic tone and you got me hooked.

Emma has me interested as well, as she has shown some unusual traits for a girl in her position, not to mention that she's a real looker. Pleasantly surprised so far, and I hope this series can keep with the great first impressions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2019 3:03 AM
Aug 2018
I just noticed that they changed a few things compared to the manga.

In the manga, it looks like William left his gloves on purpose and is delaying his departure by carriage to see if Emma would come out and follow him.

She also got at least 6-7 letters from the postman. One was actually for the household, 5 were loveletters addressed to her plus the one loveletter from the postman himself.

This makes quiet a difference. In the anime, it seems that a man of similar status courts her. In the manga it appears that she must be the most beautiful woman in London since she gets many loveletters, even from people that are considered way above her social status. People similar to William.

Nov 17, 2019 11:56 PM

Nov 2018
Oh, the male character looks more handsome than I thought. And Emma is pretty. Nice pairing.
I liked the atmosphere a lot.
Edit: Okay, I read a couple chapters of the manga based on the above person's comment and I found another difference. In the anime version, Emma says she has heard about William about him through her Madam (Kelly) and realized its him quickly while in the manga, she was like I have no idea about you. The eyeglasses conversation is somewhat different too, but closer. Not sure what to make of it, wonder if it's a change the author wanted.
OrangeCloudsNov 18, 2019 12:50 AM
Aug 16, 2021 12:35 AM

Jan 2021
Emma is so beautiful and I love the way she talks.

Aug 31, 2021 10:45 PM

Jan 2021
I can’t believe I didn’t watch this sooner.
The way the characters were drawn is also unique.
Nov 14, 2021 7:22 PM
Jan 2021
Perfectly encapsulates turn of the century Britain. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. Most historical anime’s do the backgrounds and settings horribly but this portrays it so well. Absolutely in love with Emma’s character design too and her hair style.
Jun 23, 2022 6:22 PM
Mar 2019
They wasted no time setting the Romance up.
I do like Anime set in Victorian time though, Sherlock Holmes etc....
Jul 16, 2022 4:05 AM

Jun 2020
The seting is excellent, the characters are fantabulous. The story digs into their feelings in a great way to pull us into the world. Great opening of an anime. The comedic moments are rightly organic in nature, which is again a plus point. I am happy to invest my time in this anime. I am confident that Emma and Jones takes us to a great journey ahead.

PS: I don't dig into romance so regularly, but after violet evergarden..... Emma and Jones have succeeded in changing my perspective! Bravo!
RKASHYAP621Jul 16, 2022 4:09 AM
Jul 8, 2023 10:06 AM

Apr 2020
I really like the vibe and the sets and the overall mood this one has, I'm excited!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Victorian Romance Emma Episode 12 Discussion

OnyxEyes3 - Jan 12, 2010

32 by bushman66 »»
Dec 31, 2023 3:33 PM

Poll: » Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma Episode 2 Discussion

Mirorin - Feb 16, 2013

20 by P_J_S_1 »»
Oct 27, 2023 11:14 AM

» Nozomi Entertainment has launched a Kickstarter campaign to produce an English dub for Emma season one

Clareita - Sep 24, 2018

7 by IridescentJaune »»
Mar 21, 2023 10:50 AM

» No Blu Ray release?

ChristmasCookies - May 7, 2017

2 by IridescentJaune »»
Mar 21, 2023 10:32 AM

Poll: » Victorian Romance Emma Episode 3 Discussion

OnyxEyes3 - Jan 11, 2010

24 by Homeless_Swallow »»
Dec 20, 2022 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.