Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2010 1:53 AM

Dec 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I kinda loved the ending. It actually bumped my rating for the series up a point. It wasn't the standard 'wrap everything up with a big happy bow' ending, and yet I felt like it still left you with a feeling of hope for what may come next for William & Emma.
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

Apr 25, 2010 8:18 AM

Oct 2008
I thought it was unfair... *sighs* But I must admit, it was a refreshing tale..

Nov 29, 2010 5:07 AM

Sep 2008
... I'm glad that I know there's a second season, otherwise I somehow feel that I would have been very unsatisfied with that ending. Even though it wasn't a typical ending, and I was actually impressed that the directors/creators/whoever refrained from the cliché of two lovers watching each other as one leaves (Emma never looked back... Wow. She really intended to leave Will behind so that he could find his own happiness, which she believed she was getting in the way of)... still, I'm not sure I could have been satisfied since it was such an open ending, and because it leaves you with a feeling of hope. DX

Anyway... yeah. Great series. Onto season 2 for me.
Aug 17, 2011 11:50 PM

Jul 2008
Wow that was more depressing than I thought. I am so glad there is more of this.
Sep 15, 2011 8:51 PM

May 2008
Aside from the terrible title (I mean come on, is there a need to be so literal?), I liked it overall and I'm glad there's a second season, cause if this was the conclusion of this story I would have raged at that ending.
MagEarwhigSep 15, 2011 8:55 PM
Feb 12, 2012 4:09 AM

Jul 2009
It was quite the melancholic ending. However I do look forward to watching the second season, and what ever becomes the fate of William and Emma's relationship.
Jul 11, 2012 1:54 AM

Jul 2008
Nice story and yeah Emma suffered in her childhood. Still i find her to be a dull character and i prefer Elenor.
Oct 25, 2012 8:22 AM

Jan 2012
An an example of flawless-execution anime... the story and everything was so damn plain and simple, but the execution takes the whole thing to the next level.

good shit
May 16, 2013 5:12 PM

May 2012
The run for the train station perron as a final episode of this first season was brought perfect into picture! While the gloomy and still depressing atmosphere is around these last episodes it's still quite a lovely ending and I just loved the whole thing, it started rather weak but with a good buildup from both characters and story this first season of the anime sure was great! 8/10

Up to the next season to finish the story!
RafaelDeJonghMay 17, 2013 9:08 AM
Jun 1, 2013 8:39 PM

Nov 2011
Meh, overall okay series but not too much type of my thing. I like the elegance of the Victorian atmosphere and the settings but I'm not sure about the rest to be honest.

Music was nice though and so is the calm romance. Also, the series seems to be slow paced. 6/10.
Mar 6, 2014 3:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That ending was sad but actually very realistic considering their circumstances.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 7, 2014 8:30 AM

May 2013
Thank god it wasn't like every romance anime type ending . One of the better underrrated show . enjoyed it thoroughly .
Apr 21, 2014 2:50 PM
Aug 2012
:(
Jul 3, 2014 5:28 PM

Jun 2014
Good series, thank goodness I give it again a try.
Aug 6, 2014 11:28 PM

Sep 2013
Aww the classic train scene. I wish they get reunited in the sequel. 8/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 12, 2014 8:49 AM

Aug 2013
This made me mad. This reminded me of 5cm/sec. A line from In Pursuit of Happyness kept flashing in my mind: "If you want something, you go get it. Period." I want to start the second season right after this but it's late and I don't want to go sleep with this bad feeling. I'm gonna go watch an episode of a SoL anime to cleanse this. Ugh.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 3, 2015 2:46 PM

Jul 2012
I got this series as my MAL Secret Santa rec so that's why I watched it so soon.

Great series. It made me feel like I was trapped in the time period as well. Really classy. There's a few flaws here and there but it was pretty good overall. 7/10

The ending was well done and I'm off to watch the 2nd season!
May 5, 2015 6:20 PM

Jul 2013
Super late edit, but I just had to change somethings.

I liked the ending of this season. Maybe I'm looking to much into it but I liked the train ticket scene. She doesn't really fit into the working class, but she also isn't a part of the wealthy middle class and upper class. She is somewhere in between. It also made the distance between her and the wealthy families feel a bit smaller.

Its story might not have been something ground breaking but I wish more shows were as subtle as this one (or maybe I've just been watching the wrong shows). I really enjoyed the lack of over dramatic scenes, exaggerated stuff and hyper characters. Sad moments for example always work better for me when there aren't people shouting/talking non stop or when there isn't a loud song playing in the background telling me that I should cry or feel sad. Silence is the way to go. Also I'm sure that its setting isn't 100% accurate, but I love its little details everywhere. The one thing that's holding the show back for me though is that it really took me a few episode to care about the romance and the main characters. Emma is the type of person I would really like IRL, but as a main character her quiet, kind, rational personality can make watching her a bit dull at times. Still the show doesn't do anything really really wrong and its setting, subtlety and a few side characters make this a solid show for me that never felt too cliched (which was my main fear after seeing them fall in love so fast at the start).

DopuMay 14, 2015 6:26 AM
Jul 13, 2015 2:09 PM
Jul 2015
I haven't seen this anime since I was in high school. Which is about 8 years ago. I'm gonna watch it tomorrow ! I kind of forgot the story. I only remember Will and Emma! ❤️
Dec 1, 2015 11:56 PM

Sep 2014
It was a Beautiful Ending. To be honest I'm very impressed with this Anime, Victorian Era which is known for it's very high social and cultural norms, etiquettes and manners was very well depicted in this Anime. I'm really glad that i watched it.
Dec 26, 2015 11:14 AM

Dec 2014
ok the last episode really sadden me hope for the better in the next season
Feb 21, 2016 7:03 PM

Apr 2007
I honestly didn't expect such a quiet ending. The pacing was too slow, but overall this was a lovely series. After learning all of Emma's past I have even more respect for Kelly, taking in a poor girl and teaching her the necessities for life. In this series at least she seems like a rare kind. Emma is the real star of this of course. I loved watching her throughout the series, although the romance itself was a little dull .-.
May 5, 2016 3:04 PM

Jul 2009
So Emma really decided to left, it was kinda sad, but I guess it's for the best, for now... 8/10
May 30, 2017 12:14 AM

May 2015
Hakim channeled the viewers thoughts for a moment when he was telling MC how spineless he was…

William had so many opportunities to decide what he really want to do with his life... love or keep the norm/society ways... he only acted because he learned that she was leaving town (he was unworried thinking that he have all the time in the world, he was utterly mistaken and he paid the price) it was too little too late. Life teaches you that you need to make decisions in the right time, there is an immeasurable distance between acting on your emotions and not acting at all.

xchee said:
"If you want something, you go get it. Period."
This...
Jun 4, 2017 2:05 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Well...Hell.

On the other hand, what was her alternative? All he was prepared to do was ask her to stay, and what would she do if she did? What was he going to change? He wasn't prepared to offer her any solution to their problem. From her perspective, though I question the choice of her destination, I think she made the correct decision for herself.
Dec 5, 2017 2:59 PM

Oct 2015
I really do love Eleanor though I think she was good but I loved Emma too. Though this rom had a typical love between a noble and a peasant it was not bad, but for it was just that "not bad". The ending was a let down like other moments in the series most of them caused by the spineless nature of William.
I think he should have done more to stop Emma from leaving or hell leave with her like a man in love. He should have stood up to his father and said to hell with him and fought harder for her, I will say it again what a spineless son of a b##. I think he has turned me off of watching S2.

Any way 6/10 for being plain rom and no other thing to enjoy about it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 14, 2018 5:26 PM
Sep 2017
Wow this anime is truly a masterpiece.. It caught me off guard on how great and touching the story is. 10/10 👏

Hopefully the second season will be much better then the first one.

Feb 22, 2019 8:49 PM

Nov 2016
Quite fitting for this series that this season ended on a bleak note.

But it only makes sense for Emma to be pragmatic in such a situation. A relationship with William simply wouldn't work out at the moment. With that in mind it's truly for the better to turn the page and start a new chapter somewhere else.

The emotions in this episode were once again strong and the series as a whole was more than just a pleasant surprise.

The most impressing aspect is still how simple yet impactful the stoty turned out to be.

Can't wait to see what season 2 has in store for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 25, 2019 10:48 AM

Nov 2018
The scene with Emma's tears falling silently was powerful.
The subtlety of this show really adds to its charm.
Apr 14, 2020 3:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great finale! Bittersweet but fitting, to sum it up.

Continuation to Emma's backstory which was just as heartbreaking as that of the last episode honestly. She's been through so much and it's only natural that she'd lose her ground in this situation.

Gee, those tears in the end though... Just how cruel must fate be.

I'm counting on the Indian Prince to provide crucial backup when necessary during future developments, lol. William still seems a little unsure, after all. Condolences to Eleonor too but there sadly isn't a place for her in this matter, I'm afraid.

First few minutes of the final episode in comparison to the first reference was a nice little addition, in my opinion. Goes to show just how things have changed in such a short span of time.

Overall, this has been a fantastic watch! Less than 24 hours and I'm done with Season 1, I'm starting to hope that there should've been 3 seasons of this after all. Anyway, I was hooked from the start because of the setting with the two "countries" and complex relationship, and I got exactly that!

If there's anything to point out in the negative aspect, it'd probably just come down to the Animation Quality which was about average all the way through in all honesty. And maybe the ED theme too, which really wasn't the right fit for me. Op, however, and the much of the Soundtracks were a treat though.

Going to settle with a solid 8/10.
_MushiRock11_Apr 15, 2020 10:47 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 9, 2021 7:49 AM

Sep 2020
Bro , this series is a masterpiece for me 10/10 , so realistic and unique from all the anime which is coming now a days , The music and animation is very good ,

Emma is such a well written character , she is my new favourite character , other characters are also very memorable

And man I couldn't wait to jump into next season , Emma needs to be happy , I want a happy ending
Sep 1, 2021 8:16 AM

Jan 2021
I’m so glad that there’s a season two.
I wouldn’t know what to do if it ended like this.
Dec 31, 2023 3:33 PM
Mar 2019
Enjoyed it, not for the Romance, but the whole Victorian setting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma Episode 2 Discussion

Mirorin - Feb 16, 2013

20 by P_J_S_1 »»
Oct 27, 2023 11:14 AM

Poll: » Victorian Romance Emma Episode 1 Discussion

Cookie-chan- - Aug 10, 2008

25 by Min_Minaliski »»
Jul 8, 2023 10:06 AM

» Nozomi Entertainment has launched a Kickstarter campaign to produce an English dub for Emma season one

Clareita - Sep 24, 2018

7 by IridescentJaune »»
Mar 21, 2023 10:50 AM

» No Blu Ray release?

ChristmasCookies - May 7, 2017

2 by IridescentJaune »»
Mar 21, 2023 10:32 AM

Poll: » Victorian Romance Emma Episode 3 Discussion

OnyxEyes3 - Jan 11, 2010

24 by Homeless_Swallow »»
Dec 20, 2022 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.