Forum Settings
Forums

What is your opinion of the various new changes made to the upcoming Star Wars blu ray?

New
Do you like the new changes to the Star Wars movies?
Yes, the changes only made the movie better
10.8%
No, I prefer the unaltered original versions of the film
59.5%
no opinion
29.7%
37 votes
Sep 8, 2011 3:20 PM

May 2010
If you guys are fans of Star Wars like me, you'll notice that the vast majority of Star Wars fans are incredibly upset at George Lucas altering the movies even more in the upcoming Blu-ray release such as making Obi-Wan sound like a screaming pervert in a New Hope and the infamous "NOOO!!" added into Return of the Jedi. I have no problems with the special editions except some minor nit-picks, but I really feel that these additional "improvements" added to the Blu-Ray release has made the movies into somewhat of a joke. I haven't seen original, unaltered versions of the film since I was a kid and I find it really disappointing that Lucas had completely omitted from re-releasing the original versions alongside the special editions. So what do you guys think of the changes made in the upcoming blu-ray release? Do you guys like the changes or are you upset about them?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2011 3:26 PM

Feb 2009
If you get Spike on TV you don't need to buy anything as they show Lucas's bloody movies all day every friggin day it seems.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Sep 8, 2011 4:18 PM

Jun 2010
I'm irritated that NOW they release the scenes from the cutting room floor.

I'm irritated that GL continues to nit-pick his movies. Can't he just leave them alone?

I'm especially irritated that he added the whole "NO!" thing. Vader's silence says plenty already, its not needed.

Most of the other changes aren't bad, but still. He needs to get a hobby that doesn't involve messing up his movies continuity.
Sep 8, 2011 4:22 PM

Dec 2010
I thought there were only 3 Star Wars movies. Never heard of any new releases recently.

Nope.
Sep 8, 2011 4:26 PM

Apr 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Sep 8, 2011 4:27 PM

Aug 2011
What changes?
Sep 8, 2011 4:39 PM
Mar 2008
Im torn with this new changes. I like them, and at the same time, I don't.

I've heard the "no" scream in youtube. Considering Anakin's character, it feels it fits better with it in. But I fear the movie will be worse because of it. What part about internal struggle did Lucas forgot?

Obi-Wans jedi scream sounds awful. I never liked the original one, but this is worse.

I'm curious about the promise of new deleted scenes. My guess is, they will make the movie better, but who knows.

Some of the minor improvements are nice. Like Wickets eyes, corrected lightsaber's effects and Yoda's CGI in The Phantom Menace. But others, like the weird R2D2 hiding spot, added TIE fighters and the new Jabba's door I found in this page, makes my stomach turn. Lets just hope they are not in the final release.
Sep 8, 2011 4:42 PM

Jun 2011
Idc, as long as it has this scene

Sep 8, 2011 4:51 PM

May 2010
Pero said:

Some of the minor improvements are nice. Like Wickets eyes, corrected lightsaber's effects and Yoda's CGI in The Phantom Menace. But others, like the weird R2D2 hiding spot, added TIE fighters and the new Jabba's door I found in this page, makes my stomach turn. Lets just hope they are not in the final release.

I don't think the added tie fighters are all that bad. One thing that bugged me about the space battle in ROTJ was that you knew both sides were going all out, but I always found it somewhat disappointing as to how both sides didn't have all that many space ships and fighters shown, so that's a decent improvement I guess. But I hate the blinking Ewoks though, their presence slightly ruined Jedi for me and now they're even more life-like? eww
Sep 8, 2011 5:18 PM
Mar 2008
I found this youtube clip with more changes along the lines of the "No" scream.

Enjoy =)

Sep 11, 2011 11:14 AM

Oct 2007
notsureifsrs said:
I thought there were only 3 Star Wars movies. Never heard of any new releases recently.

Nope.

wasn't there a holiday special
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2011 11:19 AM

Jul 2011
Cheap changes. Not earthshattering changes but stupid ones though
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.

Aug 2010
Sukunai said:
If you get Spike on TV you don't need to buy anything as they show Lucas's bloody movies all day every friggin day it seems.

Still, they started doing that about four years ago...

Jun 2011
Metty said:
notsureifsrs said:

Nope.

wasn't there a holiday special

We don't speak of that......
EVER

Apr 2011
Tiago97 said:
What changes?

I watched the original and the BR rip and I saw no changes O_o
Sep 11, 2011 11:30 AM

Aug 2007
I saw this advertised at Wal-Mart. "Come for our minight release dressed up as your favorite character" I didn't even know he was shitting on the franchise again with this release. I'm not going to buy it even if I get a Blu-Ray player.
Sep 11, 2011 12:00 PM
Dec 2009
noire18 said:

What parallel universe do you live in?
Sep 11, 2011 1:14 PM

Jan 2008
Making Vader scream "no!" in Jedi is either Lucas trolling his long-suffering followers, or just being senile. It's indefensible. I don't own any of the films, but there's no way I'll ever buy a version that has that stupid inclusion.

He may as well have added a monologue.

"No, I have changed my mind about being evil and will now let you know by screaming and picking you up and throwing you away! I have redeemed myself!!!"
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 11, 2011 2:19 PM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:
Making Vader scream "no!" in Jedi is either Lucas trolling his long-suffering followers, or just being senile. "

is it real? i thought it was an internet joke.
Sep 11, 2011 5:44 PM

Apr 2011
Alpha-kudasu said:
Beatnik said:
Making Vader scream "no!" in Jedi is either Lucas trolling his long-suffering followers, or just being senile. "

is it real? i thought it was an internet joke.

I'm pretty sure it's real. It can be found on youtube if you want to hear it (I'm not sure if direct links are allowed). The "no" is not as bad as the one in episode 3, being slightly lower and less cheesy sounding, but I still like the scene without it.

Sep 11, 2011 6:07 PM

Feb 2005
Shit. If they wanted to fix something, they could have made everyone seem to actually shoot properly (Are the scopes and iron sights just for decoration or what), and changed the entire last movie, switching Endor with Kashyyk.
I don't know why they felt like throwing in those retarded little teddybears when they already had a similarly fluffy, but huge and violent breed to pick instead, but it's got to be one of the worst decisions in movie history.
Sep 11, 2011 7:09 PM

Sep 2008
people are still fans of that heaping mass of shit that is referred to Star Wars now a days?

One of the changes I heard where the Ewoks blink now? I'm just waiting for the change where they replace puppet yoda with uncanny valley yoda

Heck by the time I have kids they will probably just replace everything with CG and there will be none of the original movie left.
JigeroSep 11, 2011 7:14 PM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 11, 2011 7:13 PM

Jun 2008
I loved star wars as a kid but it became a joke a long time ago. This thousandth re-release is just another nail in the coffin.

Stop milking the movies already lucas.
Sep 11, 2011 7:35 PM

Apr 2011
Jigero said:

One of the changes I heard where the Ewoks blink now? I'm just waiting for the change where they replace puppet yoda with uncanny valley yoda

The Ewok blinking is true. Also, for the Phantom Menace, they do replace puppet Yoda with CGI, although he actually looks pretty good.

Sep 11, 2011 10:10 PM

Mar 2010
I don't mind Vader saying "NOOO!", but Obi-wan scream is, frankly, horrible, lol.

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

Sep 11, 2011 10:27 PM

Jun 2008
Sekai-Verse said:
I don't mind Vader saying "NOOO!", but Obi-wan scream is, frankly, horrible, lol.

TROLOLOLO...WTF was that!

ALSO....This is full of WIN:

--ALEX--Sep 11, 2011 10:36 PM
Sep 11, 2011 10:47 PM

Jan 2009
The only change that I think wasn't a terrible idea was taking out the puppet Yodi in Episode 1. It looked worst then in the original movies. Other than that it's a shame to see Lucas continue to ruin these movies.
Sep 12, 2011 2:27 AM

Jan 2011
Star Wars still matters? People still buy movies in a physical format?
Sep 12, 2011 11:16 AM
Dec 2009
JonyJC said:

Nah, I'm just going to download them and put them on my external.
Sep 12, 2011 2:29 PM

Sep 2008
AnimeSucks said:
JonyJC said:

Nah, I'm just going to download them and put them on my external.

I wouldn't even bother wasting the hard-drive space or the bandwith used to download them.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 12, 2011 2:36 PM
Feb 2010
Well it's in high-def so that's a plus and on blue-ray. But don't really matter to me honestly they are just making it look a little better made then in the past, though original is sometimes best.

Sep 13, 2011 11:05 AM

Aug 2007
SassyLady said:
Well it's in high-def so that's a plus and on blue-ray. But don't really matter to me honestly they are just making it look a little better made then in the past, though original is sometimes best.

In this case original is always best. Pointless changes just fuck with the fans.
Sep 13, 2011 2:20 PM

Jun 2009
JonyJC said:

People like you are annoying.

Anyways, I don't see why they didn't just put both versions in the set. Oh, wait, I predict Star Wars Bluray ULTIMATE edition coming out next year.
Sep 13, 2011 3:42 PM

Jan 2008
In contrast, Spielberg has recently confirmed that the upcoming bluray of E.T will be the original version and not the 'shotguns replace by walkie-talkies' special edition of 2002, thanks to fan demand. He admitted that he caved into demands by parents groups before, and now regrets tinkering with his films and has promised he wont do it again.

Thank fuck, because I'm still waiting for Raiders on blu...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 13, 2011 4:42 PM

Jun 2009
Beatnik said:
In contrast, Spielberg has recently confirmed that the upcoming bluray of E.T will be the original version and not the 'shotguns replace by walkie-talkies' special edition of 2002, thanks to fan demand. He admitted that he caved into demands by parents groups before, and now regrets tinkering with his films and has promised he wont do it again.

Thank fuck, because I'm still waiting for Raiders on blu...

Yeah, Lucas won't admit his mistakes I don't think. And, yeah, I'm with Jrittmayer just have both options on the disks that way every one can be happy. Unless, of course, he wants to pull a Blade Runner or something.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 14, 2011 2:50 AM
May 2007
I can't wait to see South Park make fun of this
Sep 16, 2011 9:29 AM

May 2010
I don't like it, Lucas should have just left it alone as they were, those scenes he altered for the BluRay version just ruins them.
Sep 16, 2011 10:36 AM

Aug 2007
I am one of the few who likes these changes, I guess. And yes, I'm Star Wars fan, have been over 10 years now. It's the story which makes me a fan, not some tiny details in the movies.
Sep 16, 2011 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
This is the reason I still own the OT on VHS...

I don't mind him adding CG to space battles and to make places like Tatooine feel more like the "hive of scum and villainy" but adding Nooooooo's and changing voice actors like he did with Fett is just taking the piss :/ Ah well, was never intending to buy these anyway.

Next he'll redo all the music too...
Sep 16, 2011 10:53 AM

Sep 2009
I'm boycotting this release because it doesn't have the originals and because I hear it's only HD DVD quality video. I love Star Wars, I don't particularly mind the editing (except for the "NO!", that was retarded), but it's a BluRay FFS, you can put both versions on AND upgrade to BluRay resolution.
Sep 16, 2011 11:40 AM

Jan 2008
mellors said:

Next he'll redo all the music too...

Well he already did that, once in Jabba's palace with the original Lapti Nek song, to that god damn rubbish CGI dance melody, where the guy basically breaks the forth wall and screams right into the audience. Then again with the beloved ewok yub nub drum music to the other long crappy pan pipe rubbish

visually though it's got better, no denying that.

sixyearsSep 16, 2011 11:52 AM
Sep 16, 2011 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
Haha I forgot about those changes actually (selective memory...)

Even content to bring John Williams down to his level sadly :(
Sep 16, 2011 12:22 PM

Jan 2008
Neiru2012 said:
I'm boycotting this release because it doesn't have the originals and because I hear it's only HD DVD quality video. I love Star Wars, I don't particularly mind the editing (except for the "NO!", that was retarded), but it's a BluRay FFS, you can put both versions on AND upgrade to BluRay resolution.

Even better would be the Orginal 1977, 1997, 2004 and blur ray updated. Plus all bonus features.

I mean it's not like Blu ray is lacking for space to be able to do all of that.

Wait three years until the re-re-release of the blue ray with all those features.

He is an awful man.
Sep 16, 2011 8:07 PM

Aug 2007
Improving something by remastering it or adding CGI doesn't really matter that much. Changing shit is the biggest kind of bullshit anybody can do though.
Sep 16, 2011 10:50 PM

Sep 2008
Heavenfang said:
I am one of the few who likes these changes, I guess. And yes, I'm Star Wars fan, have been over 10 years now. It's the story which makes me a fan, not some tiny details in the movies.

But the changes mess and interrupt with the story telling, and actually change the tone of some scenes, fuck the cinematography and even change characterization. So your probably not a fan of story, if you where you would detest the the changes. You probably think the the prequel had better light saber fights too right?

and Oh boy 10 years? so you been a fan for as long as it's been shit.... Why?
Sep 17, 2011 12:22 AM

Jun 2011
I really couldn't care less. All I've been hearing is Starwars fanboys bitching about it.

Sep 18, 2011 11:37 AM

Aug 2011
Changing music is really annoying ?! Like I said I haven't watched the blu ray , but If they've changed the music and the NOOO part , I won't watch it !
Sep 19, 2011 9:45 AM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
JonyJC said:

People like you are annoying.

Racist.
Sep 19, 2011 9:49 AM
Mar 2011
and people say Nit over small things
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 19, 2011 9:58 AM

Jun 2011
The only change I like is the emperor's hologram in part 5 matching his actual appearance in part 6. That's not specific to the blu-rays though.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.