Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2008 8:15 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A lot of people saod that this was the worst episode of the series, I though it was really good. To me it was a lot better than episode 2.
Jun 19, 2008 1:22 AM

May 2008
I also thought it was better than episode 2. This anime seems to be on another level than 99% of the stuff I've seen.
Jul 16, 2008 8:58 PM

Jun 2008
This is my favorite episode in the first OVA. It really takes its time to develop the characters and builds tension between the two very well. It's very honest and sincere.

And Bunji, I agree, this anime is on an entirely different level than most animes out there. It comes close to some cinematic classics like Seven Samurai and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
Oct 4, 2008 7:59 AM
Apr 2008
This episode was beautiful. I loved the detail of the drawing and animation, and the plot was amazing. quality anime.

Mar 26, 2009 6:03 PM

Sep 2008
I am blown away!
Sep 6, 2009 7:41 PM

Sep 2007
I've read posts before calling this part of the OVA too slow. People say stuff like, "All they do is walk around, plant stuff and sit around in the hut. Nothing fun happens!"

If that's the person's opinion, they shouldn't even be watching an OVA like this. This is the part of the OVA that really explores the depths of Kenshin and Tomoe's relationship because they're all alone in Otsu and the tension between them is palpable, not to mention the beautiful nature backgrounds.

This part of the OVA is totally my favorite and I wish it could go on forever!
Sep 6, 2009 7:45 PM

Apr 2008
This is the best episode of the 4 as far as I'm concerned. It is very subtle in parts, which is something sorely lacking in film making these days. Plus, it features one of the best fadeout endings I've ever seen with that low cello playing while you hear the pitter patter of blood dripping from Kenshin's scar.
Sep 6, 2009 7:48 PM

Sep 2007
Not to mention the look of heartbreak and betrayal on his face as he drops the journal. Great stuff!
Jan 3, 2010 12:24 PM
May 2008
This is probably my favorite part of the OVA so far, because like someone else said the OVA isn't supposed to be humorous like the series. It has more depth than that, which is why episodes like these always become my favorites.
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 29, 2010 9:19 AM
Jul 14, 2010 8:47 AM

Jun 2009
Why people dislike this episode anyway? It's actually very good. Character were explored greatly, like the part that Tomoe no longer bring her dagger, and how Kenshin mention she didn't. The planting, harvest, and dialogs, this episode is filled with deep meanings.

It was a great episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2010 4:41 AM

Jan 2010
i don't care anymore...this is a boring ova -_-
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Aug 2010
By far the best episode so far. I was enchanted by the animation which felt more like a carefully constructed work of art, the outstanding, timely music and the simple yet at the same time very honest storyline.
Oct 31, 2010 9:19 AM

May 2010
This part of the OVA just drips subtlety, I've never seen such composition in anime (not even miyazaki, though he makes up for it in other regards). That's actually why the few things that would normally seem completely excusable feel out of place here. The brother's stereotypical shonen rage, the guy muttering under his breath "good luck boy" as he walks away with an evil look on his face, they're like smudge marks on a Da Vinci painting.

That said, this OVA is like therapy for all the sub par anime I've watched recently :)
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 9, 2010 1:57 AM

Mar 2009
So what did Tomoe do to herself that night that made blood pour over the floor? I was confused at that part.
Dec 9, 2010 1:57 AM

Mar 2009
So what did Tomoe do to herself that night that made blood pour over the floor? I was confused at that part.
Feb 11, 2011 12:44 PM

Sep 2008
CityLights said:
This is the best episode of the 4 as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't watched the fourth episode yet, but out of the three I've seen this is the one I liked the most... That said, however, I'm still not particularly enjoying this series. Maybe I just can't appreciate a great anime anymore, I don't know! The animation and music were both very lovely, though.
Mar 17, 2011 10:46 AM

Sep 2007
Hung said:

Tomoe was either on her period or had a miscarriage. The little stone figure with the red cloak that Iizuka runs past is Jizo, the Bhodhisatva that looks after the souls of dead babies and young children.
Jan 13, 2012 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
RedSwordHeart said:
Hung said:

Tomoe was either on her period or had a miscarriage. The little stone figure with the red cloak that Iizuka runs past is Jizo, the Bhodhisatva that looks after the souls of dead babies and young children.

The OVA didn't make me think that they had "been together" before that scene in any way, so in that way it made me clueless as well.
Regarding babies, haven't they been "alone" up there for quite some time? Why would they make a scene of her going outside into the night, just to show that, yes, girls bleed..
if someone has read the manga,maybe it explains more there. sure got me wondering anyway. As far as I can recall, I don't think she brought any dagger or alike with her either to do anything.
Jan 13, 2012 6:32 PM

Sep 2007

I really can't guess the significance of that scene.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ArdanazSep 29, 2018 6:40 AM
May 18, 2012 2:31 PM

Apr 2012
I just don't get what's so great about this series. It's pretty boring, and so far I don't like a single character.
Jul 31, 2012 11:17 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode, these OVAs have been brilliant so far. Looking forward to the finale.
Jan 2, 2014 7:35 AM

Mar 2013
RedSwordHeart said:
Hung said:

if she was a miscarriage, then who is the baby's father?
VadNAPJan 2, 2014 7:39 AM
Mar 30, 2014 6:01 AM

Jan 2014
Damn that was pretty good, I need to rewatch it, and episode 1 too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2014 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
Hung said:

Maybe I don't remember what scene you're talking about, but if it's the one I'm thinking of I just assumed at the time she was dreaming of blood as symbolism of her conflict being with Kenshin.

Anyway, agreed, better than episode 2 - it is not, however, better than episode 1. Episode 1 made me think this was a 10/10 series already; the last two make me think more along the lines of 8/10, 9/10 at best. Up to the last episode to see how it goes!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 13, 2014 11:41 PM

Jan 2014
Didn't really care much for Tomoe at the start, but her plight pulled me in.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 11, 2014 11:21 AM

Jan 2014
This was really a beautiful episode. And the part where Tomoe was bleeding made me think about it. Still can't figure what it was, it just might have been that her body reacted that way when in too much pain.

However, to Kenshin again -> now, I think he's too much of a complex character, so my thoughts about him before might have been too.. simplified. I guess I can understand him, he seems to have a conflicted personality. I don't think anymore that he did all of this out of revenge, but it is probably part of the reason why he started doing that. That's at least what I want to believe, because the other option I can think of is that he had nothing else to do at that time. No other aspirations, which would make him a less interesting character, in my opinion. And, revenge as a passionate emotion, so it is to me, at least, is noble, and respectable. Some would probably disagree, and I guess my understanding of that word differs from the general accepted definition. Revenge, as a way to react to any of the unrighteous, unforgiving events that can happen to a person is manifested in different ways. In Kenshin's case it is probably a strong emotion, I don't want to use the word hatred, but an emotion that made him want to make the world a better place by taking revenge on the bad world, the world that made him that way, that did all of the things he couldn't grasp and couldn't handle. And to me, he definitely seems like a passionate person, an incredibly passionate one. I think that sort of facial expressions and that way of talking can only be created under strong emotions.

Surely, this might all be wrong, and I might be a bit biased because some of his opinions remind me too much of my own; but one thing I know for sure is that he intrigued me so much I can't even suppress all of these things that go through my mind. And I don't want to. I just want to know everything there is about him. I wasn't sure up till now whether or not to watch the TV show, but now I know I will.
Dec 11, 2014 12:02 PM

Oct 2013
FestinaLente said:
However, to Kenshin again -> now, I think he's too much of a complex character, so my thoughts about him before might have been too.. simplified. I guess I can understand him, he seems to have a conflicted personality. I don't think anymore that he did all of this out of revenge, but it is probably part of the reason why he started doing that. That's at least what I want to believe, because the other option I can think of is that he had nothing else to do at that time. No other aspirations, which would make him a less interesting character, in my opinion. And, revenge as a passionate emotion, so it is to me, at least, is noble, and respectable. Some would probably disagree, and I guess my understanding of that word differs from the general accepted definition. Revenge, as a way to react to any of the unrighteous, unforgiving events that can happen to a person is manifested in different ways. In Kenshin's case it is probably a strong emotion, I don't want to use the word hatred, but an emotion that made him want to make the world a better place by taking revenge on the bad world, the world that made him that way, that did all of the things he couldn't grasp and couldn't handle. And to me, he definitely seems like a passionate person, an incredibly passionate one. I think that sort of facial expressions and that way of talking can only be created under strong emotions.

You're looking at it from a narrow perspective, in my opinion. Kenshin does not need revenge as an excuse to do what he did. Revenge is, by definition, harming others because of the harm those others did to oneself. The Tokagawa Shogunate did not harm Kenshin. Kenshin's actions were not a desire for revenge for himself; they were a desire to save others by correcting what he perceived at the time to be a flawed government.

Pidgeonholing Kenshin into the narrow concept of him doing everything for revenge does not give him due credit; it makes him more cliche, less interesting, and less complex. Even if you do have a different understanding of the definition of "revenge," you admit in your own post that it would still be a reaction to the things Kenshin himself went through, and that understanding is what takes away from Kenshin's character. One needs to acknowledge that Kenshin's actions stem from his desire to protect others, and they were completely disengaged from his own suffering. There is no room for the concept of "revenge" in Kenshin's character.

There's so much more depth to a character who becomes an assassin due to an honest, pure desire to save society than there is to a character who becomes an assassin to extract revenge on the society that harmed him. Implying the latter does not give him nearly enough credit, and it makes his latter character development and the character he becomes in the main series less impacting.

Kenshin honestly, truly believed in the "kill ten to save a thousand" concept, and that is as far disengaged from oneself as possible.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 11, 2014 12:21 PM

Jan 2014
Zadion said:

What you said is just an opinion, what I said is just an opinion.
My philosophy is selfishness. Therefore, I think he did everything for himself, for his own ideals.
The rest is in my previous post, and I hope you can understand better now.
Dec 11, 2014 12:25 PM

May 2011
Good to clarify Zadion, I was thinking about speaking up again, but I let it be. Since they were going into the 4th episode... I didn't have the heart to interrupt, and it seems like it was the ultimate experience. Kenshin is a character that you think, and think, and think about. There is only more to him each time you look at him (even Festina had a different interpretation from episodes 1/2, vs 3). You can have perspectives (though I'm with yours), either way, at the end of the day he is just a very special character. This flashback is only half his development; the Manga is another journey entirely. Though I think it's more meaningful watching this after knowing the adult Kenshin (like how it's presented in the full story), but this can be one of the strongest stand-alone experiences ever for sure. As a prequel, its flaw is that it's just too good lol, but watching him grown up has its own merits. I've re-watched/re-read so much it doesn't apply to me anymore.
Kayaba-Dec 11, 2014 1:03 PM
Dec 11, 2014 4:00 PM

Oct 2013
-Shuda- said:
Good to clarify Zadion, I was thinking about speaking up again, but I let it be. Since they were going into the 4th episode... I didn't have the heart to interrupt, and it seems like it was the ultimate experience. Kenshin is a character that you think, and think, and think about. There is only more to him each time you look at him (even Festina had a different interpretation from episodes 1/2, vs 3). You can have perspectives (though I'm with yours), either way, at the end of the day he is just a very special character. This flashback is only half his development; the Manga is another journey entirely.

Yes and no. If you include the main series as well, then yeah, even if Kenshin was just another anti-hero trying to strike out and take revenge, he would still be a truly unique and special character. But I think that even the Kenshin of Tsuiokuhen, isolated from the main series - the Kenshin of old - is a special character, and there's already so many characters that operate under revenge that taking this stance on him just kind of turns him into a generic cliche.

But I will confess it is both interesting and refreshing to see other opinions and perspectives on Kenshin's character.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 15, 2015 3:03 PM

Aug 2009
Ruddy brilliant.
One of the finest displays of drama I've seen in my anime history.
Apr 23, 2015 8:13 PM

Feb 2015
This episode was so good. The relationship between Tomoe and Kenshin makes for a great tragic romance.
devinderMay 24, 2015 8:24 PM
Jun 30, 2015 9:10 AM

Aug 2014
The character development in this episode was absolutely amazing.
The way the two characters bonded and got over their pasts together was great.
You don't get this level of character development in most anime, this is quite a highlight of this show
Jul 9, 2015 1:22 PM

Aug 2013
So she really was that guy fiancee... :(
Well, to this point, it was obvious. But it still hurt. Add to the fact that she pass for the traitor while it's mustache dude. Fuck that two face fucker.

This cannot end in a good way. Embush is coming for Kenshin, and he won't die, because it's a prequel :P
But man, I have the feeling it won't end well. On the other hand, what he experienced with Tomoe made him mature. He have changed a lot since the emotionless assassin-to-hire.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Sep 4, 2015 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
Kinda slow this time (no action). Just setup for the next episode.
Sep 9, 2015 12:13 PM
Oct 2012
This one was full packed with gorgeous shots. Mushishi ain't got nothing on this. Better than the previous episode 'cause it stood on its own as an impossible love story.
Nov 1, 2015 4:17 AM

Jan 2013
I'm honestly impressed, for the first time ina very very long time with anime in general. The character development is one of the best, it just feels natural and right. The ending scene hit me hard shit
Apr 5, 2016 1:35 AM
Apr 2016
Why do they include that scene of Tomoe sneaking out at night with the blood? I've watched this OVA at least 7 times and still can't quite get the significance of that particular scene.

I love how they build the relationship between Tomoe and Kenshin, how Kenshin "put his guard down" eventually around Tomoe or anyone else since he left his master (the subtle scene when he no longer sleep sitting at the corner holding a sword). Kenshin's decision of growing crops is a subconscious way to show his desire for a simple life without killing (because when you plant, you are nurturing life instead. Even when you kill the plants to harvest, you're eating that to nurture the body). Great episode!
Sep 18, 2016 2:24 PM

Jun 2016
This was so beauitufl! Definitely my favorite episode!
Oct 15, 2016 6:52 AM

Feb 2014
Oh, so this is the "betray" part.
Oct 29, 2016 9:22 AM

May 2012
Oh boy this episode was another very good one, fits perfectly in between the other episodes with the more gentle atmosphere! Looking forward to the last part!
Feb 11, 2017 4:09 PM

Dec 2016
This episode.. Holy ****. Story, music and animation: 10/10.
Jan 11, 2018 10:04 PM

May 2016
Another great episode, I never trusted that guy.
Oct 16, 2018 9:31 PM

Jul 2017
The animation was really good, but I don't understand Tomo's thought process. I can see how Kenshin could think of that as love, being alone forever, but Tomo seems like she was a fairly normal person until her lover was killed by Kenshin. Also, I mean he was KILLED by Kenshin. I understand forgiving him, and I think that would be a stronger story. It just seems kind of... I don't know.
Jan 1, 2019 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
Tomoe is such a whore. Going in bed with the murderer of her fiance-to-be. Yuck. Disgusting woman.
Nov 26, 2019 4:33 PM
Apr 2016
What a sad and beautiful episode, it was hard to watch. She was supposed to kill him, but instead she fell in love with him. On the otherhand, Kenshin learned how to love.
Aug 26, 2020 5:37 AM

May 2016
Without any action scenes aside from a few seconds of that guy who pursued the mole getting killed, an episode like this would've made me feel sleepy but that wasn't the case here at all. As serene as Kenshin and Tomoe's short yet simple life together was, this was a very emotionally heavy episode for me.

Her conflicting emotions towards Kenshin and his appreciation for her letting him experience happiness he thought that he'd never feel made for a heart-rending tragedy. Fate truly is cruel...

Dec 6, 2020 4:00 AM

May 2015
And then they bang

See you next year at episode 4!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 28, 2021 2:08 AM

Nov 2018
This is how you use symbolism in anime.
Of course local action-obsessed morons didn't get any of it.No empathy spotted either.
I hate everyone equally
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hznu - Sep 16, 2008

190 by Jirokissaw »»
Apr 11, 9:47 PM

» Can I finally watch this after seeing the 2023 remake or I have to still see the Kyoto arc?

Cestlavie_ - Dec 16, 2023

13 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 17, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 2, 2008

75 by RFXs »»
Feb 9, 7:57 AM

» Similar tragic romance

yoru987 - Aug 13, 2023

5 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:20 AM

» The new pic sucks, please change it back

KingRequiem - Aug 4, 2019

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.