Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 »
Mar 2, 2016 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
The looking up part of Homura kinda reminded me of a scene from Bakemonogatari :D
Damn that clown face was pretty cool, did it just ... seriously eat Mami's head?

Wait ... Mami's seriously dead?

I expected something to happen to her, but death?
Apr 2, 2016 12:52 PM

Aug 2015
Damn, Mami was the only character I was liking so far and then her death happens 3 episodes in. I've got mixed feelings about this.
Apr 5, 2016 11:40 AM
Feb 2016
I think I'll drop it. Everybody was like: oh, ep. 3 is awesome! It changes everything! blahblahblçah omg blabla

But I didn't thought it was cool. It still looks like a psycadelic version of Jewel Pets or Cardcaptor Sakura...
Apr 27, 2016 7:03 AM

Apr 2015
The death was pretty predictable. It was a little sad, yeah. But still, meh...

Can't they just use one of the wishes to bring her back?

I don't get why everyone was saying that episode 3 was when it gets good. It still feels just "meh" to me...Does this anime get any better? I'm not a big fan of it.
Apr 27, 2016 7:18 AM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:
It will only become non-sensely torturing.

Is it worth continuing or no?
Apr 27, 2016 7:51 AM

Jun 2014
kamisama751 said:
It will only become non-sensely torturing.

No, it really doesn't,
Apr 27, 2016 8:07 AM
Feb 2016
Some people like it, some people dislike it.

Me, I was pretty shaken by Mami's death. Even though I could see it coming, if you actually like the characters at all, you suffer with them. And for its genre, the scene was pretty disturbing.

It is interesting to me to consider why some people don't like it. I think partially it's the hype (people are primed against shows that have achieved that much popularity), and partly it's lack of investment in the characters, which can happen for a number of reasons (one commenter in another thread said he didn't like the character designs; another one said he didn't like stories about magical wishes; and so on).

So be it. Not everything is for everyone.
Apr 27, 2016 2:01 PM

Aug 2015
cytoscourge said:
The death was pretty predictable. It was a little sad, yeah. But still, meh...

Can't they just use one of the wishes to bring her back?

I don't get why everyone was saying that episode 3 was when it gets good. It still feels just "meh" to me...Does this anime get any better? I'm not a big fan of it.

If the death was predictable or not IDK, but during is airing ,in 2011, was rare to see people not getting suprised by that because they were expecting a happy MG storie, but now even if u didn´t see the anime u will know that is different than ur typical MG show.

For me the show get´s better every episode, the writting on this anime is excellent but some people dislike it, so YOU could try to continue, but if u don´t like it u should stop now and see other thing,
May 1, 2016 3:17 PM

Feb 2014
Wow, this episode was so intense and sad. Why, Mami, why you didn't listen to Homura about the outcome?! RIP, ol' fair one.
Cartoons and anime is my reality.
May 8, 2016 12:01 PM

Nov 2013
Probably would have been a good moment if people didn't hype it up so much. Only thing I really enjoyed about the show was the art.
May 30, 2016 5:55 AM

May 2016
I was really looking forward to the 'Infamous 3rd episode' (or so I've read in many comments, still I didn't know what was going to happen tho), BUT it was really disappointing to see a clown behead her tbh. The graphics and the art while showing a supposedly tragic scene was so childish and stupid that I didn't even feel sorry for the girls nvm getting the tragic FEELS. Only the background music was cool and exciting, besides that this anime didn't YET leave a good impression on me.

Or it must that I got too over-hyped for this anime after seeing many top comments and ratings for this in MAL. Hope it won't turn out to be a disappointment for me in the end........

May 31, 2016 2:08 AM

Aug 2015
AngelofFrost said:
Or it must that I got too over-hyped for this anime after seeing many top comments and ratings for this in MAL. Hope it won't turn out to be a disappointment for me in the end........

U shouldn´t go into a series thinking will be the best because some (or alot) people say so. If you go with hype to a show u will always get dissapointed or atleast most of the time. The scene in ep 3 doesn´t show nothing gory or something like that because doesn´t need to, only by watching the moment u can understand what happen, but people talk alot of that episode because is when the show reveals is true intentions and tell you that this will not be a "normal" MG show. This show is not dark for being dark and isn´t that dark if we compare with another MG shows but IMO is tells a really good story and everything ties together in the end (evey scene or almost every scene is important).

U can try to watch until ep6 or something if u don´t like it just drop or put on hold
Jun 8, 2016 8:49 AM

Nov 2015
Boring ~
I can't belive if Mami is really dead.

Why the ending theme have to change so quickly :(
Jun 24, 2016 4:09 PM

Jan 2016
I knew somewhere down the road something like this was going to happen because there's good foreshadowing but dang, it's much sooner than I expected...
Jul 12, 2016 5:12 AM

Jun 2014
(Rewatch)
Even knowing what's going to happen, this is still one of my favorite episodes of the first half.
I really love the design of the maze and the Witch.
Jul 24, 2016 6:01 PM

Jun 2016
why couldn't they think of a wish, Mami may still be here then... T_T
Sep 23, 2016 3:00 PM
Sep 2016
Does anyone know why Mami didn't just

WvethSep 23, 2016 3:22 PM
Sep 26, 2016 5:44 AM

Oct 2013
Wveth said:
Does anyone know why Mami didn't just

Sep 26, 2016 6:14 AM

Apr 2014
I think the idea was to get towards a kind of slo-mo shot - something that's hard to convey in cartoon form, perhaps.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
Sep 28, 2016 5:26 PM
Sep 2016
Thanks guys. It bugs me less now that I think of it that way. The movie portrayed it as happening much faster too, which makes the idea of quasi-slow-motion easier to swallow (LIKE MAMI, hahaha). And it's a minor blip on an otherwise fantastic series, especially if you watch Rebellion (in my opinion :P).
Dec 18, 2016 5:37 PM

Aug 2016
Mmmh that "surgery' sign got me thinking that perhaps those witches realms are perhaps based on deep rooted fears from the girls.
Jan 12, 2017 10:17 PM

Jan 2015
Oh damn...

That was something...
Jan 18, 2017 3:00 AM

Mar 2016
Damn, mami's death flag was raised as soon as she seemed cheerful in battle . You could sense something was gonna happen to hit her with the harsh truth . Also Homura's warning kinda made for a foreshadowing .
Jan 20, 2017 11:05 AM
Jul 2016
Well, I can't say I wasn't expecting an end like this one.
But the part "let's talk about our lives and feelings in the most dangerous place possible" seriously drove me crazy.
Yeah girls, let's do that, it's not like something here was particullary URGENT !
Feb 21, 2017 1:38 PM

Apr 2014
Oh my, shit got real. And Kalafina at it's finest, perfect ED!
Feb 23, 2017 11:26 PM

Dec 2016
Wow what a shock that was.

I was happy for Mami because she was smiling due to her having friends and then BAM! She gets killed off.

I guess her death is the catalyst for helping Madoka reach her full potential as a magical girl.
Apr 9, 2017 8:25 PM

Dec 2016
Damn Mami got fucked up! But I guess the death flags were pretty obviously waving as soon as she was crying over getting a new friend.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 10, 2017 2:11 AM

Aug 2015
TheFreycook said:
Damn Mami got fucked up! But I guess the death flags were pretty obviously waving as soon as she was crying over getting a new friend.

Yeah the death flags were there and can be consider obvious but if this was a "normal" MG show she wouldn´t die there, get hurt yes but die probably not.
Jun 2, 2017 10:25 AM

Jan 2017
fuck the best girl died in the third ep what a shame she was the most beautiful ,cool one
if she doesn't come back to life somehow this anime won't get a 10 from me even if it is a master peace
Jun 15, 2017 6:52 PM

Nov 2011
And with that, the extent of explicit spoilers I have about Madoka is past. Thankfully it happened early.

That death was a lot more curt than I expected though.

Since Kyuubei's wish can grant "anything, no matter how miraculous", it really wouldn't surprise me if her resurrection becomes Madoka's wish. I don't think that would take away from the series either, since we've been informed about the miraculous nature of the wish from the get-go and it's not something that can be repeated.

Homura isn't the bad guy here, in any case. Madoka and Miki need to understand the seriousness of what they're considering.

Good episode. If people didn't nonchalantly spoil this series so much I'm sure it may well have been even more impactful.
Jul 5, 2017 8:58 PM
Jul 2016
*My reaction about this episode
THE HELL WHAT JUST HAPENNED o_O!!
Aug 9, 2017 4:40 PM

Jun 2013
That Kyube guy. I don't trust him. How can anyone trust him. Dear lord he's a shady character. Didn't feel bad about Mami's death, either BUT I'm glad not just everyone is going to be walking out of this alive.
"Masturbation."

---The End.
Sep 19, 2017 12:25 PM

Jun 2016
WHAT THE FUCK!?!? MAMI-SAN JUST FUCKING DIED JUST WHEN SHE'S NO LONGER ALONE AND SHE ALREADY HAS FRIENDS TO TALK TO WHEN SHE'S FEELING DOWN. WHAT THE FUCK. THIS IS BRUTAL. I'M NOT OKAY. NO. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT SHE'S DEAD. NOPE NOPE NOPE!

I wonder if Madoka's wish will be to revive Mami. OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!

Anyhoo, Sayaka is now thinking of using her wish to someone who I think is her love. Hihi.

We knew more about Mami about how she became a magical girl and what's her wish.

I STILL REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT MAMI-SAN'S GONE, MAAAN.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 19, 2017 4:40 AM

Jul 2016
Welp.

She ded.

This is starting to look like Evangelion but with Magical Girls instead of Mechas. Which is not a bad thing *wink* *wink*.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Nov 29, 2017 5:34 PM
Apr 2017
M-Mami....? No...... Not you.....

Overall, cool episode, it scared and broke me though...
Dec 12, 2017 11:02 PM

May 2013
I Googled Madoka's mom earlier because I wanted to see if anybody screenshotted a quote from her that I really liked-- the one about boys who can't confess in person are worthless lolol. And it suggested "Mami's death" to me so I already got a spoiler that I didn't want /cries. It didn't catch me off guard, although I really wish it did since it would have more of that wow factor for me. I feel like even if I weren't spoiled though, it was predictable since Homura said that witch is different and Mami made defeating it look way too easy, soooooo... :3 pretty obvious if you've seen enough animes to know what might happen.

Keep it coming.

Least now we know Sayaka ain't ghey lmao. She's either bi or straight hahhahh ;P
Dunno why she was so angry with Homura. I think both Homura and Mami are good girls. They just have differing opinions on how to go about new Magical girls. Mami is all for it, and Homura thinks they'll regret it and it's too much danger so she's trying to keep them away from her experienced fate as a Magical girl. Neither are wrong... and probably the stronger you are, the more danger and challenges you will face, so that's most likely why she's so against Madoka being a Magical girl :X
Dec 28, 2017 3:36 AM
Apr 2017
Reaction: Why was Homura warning them? Oh Mami doesn't feel lonely anymore and feels a sense of joy.That is reassuring. Wait the witch doesn't seem to be doing anything.___________ ._. Oh, okay then...Oh coincidentally the tea stayed intact until it crashed the ground. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

You would think that Mami a veteran magical girl will notice that the doll was a decoy. It did seem obvious. I am guessing it is Mami's first time facing a witch this clever.

Well one of the reasons why I did watch this anime was because that scene was featured in an anime crack video on youtube. If it were not for that I wouldn't have even touched this anime.

Although the death was surprising even if it was spoiled for me.

Kyuubey seems to be desensitized from death or is it something more sinister?
AmberScytheDec 28, 2017 3:47 AM
Jan 21, 2018 11:46 AM
Nov 2017
Damn, didn't see this coming or perhaps I was ignoring it, but damn.

There is more to Kyuubei, I am sure of it. Cute blinders off, nothing with that much power is what they seem, but still this show is crazy good.
Feb 9, 2018 8:44 AM

Jan 2018
Still remembering the first time I've watched this anime, this episode fucked me up really bad. Got so depressed cause the moment I'm starting to like Mami, suddenly, poof!

SHE LOST HER HEAD.
Mar 13, 2018 3:23 PM

Sep 2015
Wow this was that defining episode when shit hits the fan. First time watching and didn't she that coming. Figured it was going to do a trick since it wasn't moving but damn. Great episode and nice ed theme and music.

It sucks really liked Mami her style with her guns was fun to watch.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Mar 15, 2018 11:43 PM

Aug 2017
Poor MAMI! Just like the first two episodes, the mystery is very good and the characters likeable. We know more about the Madoka's family, Sayaka relations and Mami's past. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 24, 2018 7:02 PM
Dec 2017
Okay, so far I like the art and designs. The futuristic setting has a sci-fi feel that I also like.
What I don't like is the plot so far. it's a little weak so far. I think it will get better going forward.

Akemi just saved Madoka and Sayaka lives and Sayaka worried about who gets the witches gem. Like mami "dead" (I don't think she's gone for good) and you're not magical girls yet so of course Akemi takes the gem.

Also, it looks like Sayaka going to sign the magical contract over a boy. Like you could wish for anything in the world and it looks like she's going to sign to save some boy. But I guess that would be kinda typical of a 14 year old.
Aug 9, 2018 8:42 AM
Aug 2018
I feel like this episode was really over-hyped as being the turning point in the show, which had me expecting something really big. and yea with the death of Mami that was pretty big, but the shows didn't make me care enough, I didn't feel any connection to her so her death just felt whatever to me. People definitely over hyped it. Other than that is was a good episode.
Aug 19, 2018 11:20 PM
Aug 2018
it's so sad but i think mami will return
Nov 6, 2018 7:55 AM
Aug 2018
Madoka Kaname and her dad Tomohisa Kaname help her mother Junko Kaname (who is drunk). And they both take Junko to her bed. Madoka is not a useless character.
Feb 14, 2019 7:42 PM
Apr 2016
Holy fuck I was signing up for some PG-13 shit BUT SHE GOT EATEN STRAIGHT UP--EATEN HECKING E.A.T.E.N...... wtf did she really... I wasn't expecting that one bit....
Feb 28, 2019 12:33 PM

Sep 2014
seeing the comments of first watchers here is like honey for my soul. I really appreciate that its still so relevant.

They did nail the plottwist. Other shows are overly dramatic with such stuff.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 21, 2019 1:58 AM

Mar 2017
This is my fifth viewing of Madoka Magica. And this episode still blows me away! I really appreciate how showing less of the brutality is actually much more effective in portraying the horror of this scenario. This episode had lots of talking. Since I am watching it raw (without subs) for the first time, it was a bit tiring. My Japanese is not good enough to understand full sentences yet, but I picked up on some keywords and was able to follow along just fine, since I almost memorized all the dialogues anyway from prior viewings. It really lets me concentrate on the visuals, which are amazing! Of course the same goes for the dubs... but I still like the original Japanese most.
May 4, 2019 9:41 AM

Dec 2014
Mami died already what the fuck?

Whether or not she is gone for good I am completely invested in this show
Aug 10, 2019 4:46 AM
May 2019
The episode that kickstarts the descent into darkness. And that ending from Kalafina! Perfect timing to showcase it.
Pages (15) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.