Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 46 Discussion

May 30, 2008 3:08 PM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Reuental's ambitions look to be growing even more. He's looking more and more like he's planning for Reinhard's downfall.

Dusty's plan was crude but effective. It's funny how Yang got scolded for it instead. It's going to be even worse for Yang from here on out. He'll have to get the civilians to safety and then join up with the fleet by the capital. If he can somehow hold out it can become a standoff but I don't think even he can pull off a miracle win. The enemy has more than enough to survive a battle of attrition. If the politician's plans are realized they'd have to get a peace deal. I'm still looking forward to a hell of a battle though.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Oct 23, 2008 5:49 PM

Well Iserlohn fell, not much of a surprise. Reuental keeps on impressing me more and more as this series goes on. I do like his VA, Norio Wakamoto. Anyway I wonder how this news will affect everything. The FPA will probably have very low morale. Also even if Phezzan falls the Empire's army can fall back to Iserlohn. But at the end it wont matter because the FPA will be so weak from battle they would not last another invasion.

Feb 9, 2009 7:41 PM

Reuental's character has definitely been developed well. Other anime shows can only dream of this kind of characterisation. The benefits of adapatations over hack TV writers.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Sep 7, 2009 2:15 AM

I'm liking Reuental more each episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Sep 15, 2009 7:34 PM

I've got to wonder how Reinhard being single has any bearing on how Yang plans to overturn the Empire's advantage in this battle. XD

And I loved it when Yang and Schenkopp thought of leaving Iserlohn as the same as returning the ingredients for dinner that they were borrowing.

600 babies. One ship. Hell will be had.

Sep 16, 2009 10:25 AM

Eh, can't believe the Empire just took over Iserlonh quite easily without resistance, But then again, as Yang says, it doesn't have that much impact anyway since Reuental will just use Phezzan's corridor and the fortress will become useless.

Still wondering whats going to happen, Mittermeyer and Reuental against Yang leading the whole... Alliance fleet (?) I wish Yang's motivation would change.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.

Nov 15, 2009 3:28 PM

DeadBonesBrook said:
I've got to wonder how Reinhard being single has any bearing on how Yang plans to overturn the Empire's advantage in this battle. XD

Reinhard mentioned that Yang's only chance of strategic victory would be to kill him. Presumably, without any clear successor to the Lohengramm Dynasty, political chaos would ensue and the empire would be forced to retreat.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Dec 30, 2009 11:58 AM

I liked Wenli's strategy, it was like a Trojan Horse.
But hell, Reuenthal can't figure out all alone that there's a trap in the fortress? I mean he's supposed to be a great and genius tactician and yet he thinks that Wenli was going to kindly give him the fortress without setting a trap or anything? That's ridiculous.
Whatever, now that FPA has lost Iserlohn, I wonder what Wenli's planning to do. I'm quite surprised that he abandonned the fortress so easily, I hope there's a meaning behind it and that he was thinking of what he was doing.

Jan 8, 2010 2:49 PM

insan3soldiern said:

yeah, nice character development

Jan 10, 2010 11:29 AM

HooHiraiBunny said:
But hell, Reuenthal can't figure out all alone that there's a trap in the fortress? I mean he's supposed to be a great and genius tactician and yet he thinks that Wenli was going to kindly give him the fortress without setting a trap or anything? That's ridiculous.

he is not a God. Just a human being
HooHiraiBunny said:

HooHiraiBunny said:
Whatever, now that FPA has lost Iserlohn, I wonder what Wenli's planning to do. I'm quite surprised that he abandonned the fortress so easily, I hope there's a meaning behind it and that he was thinking of what he was doing.

lol he just gave a 2 page reasoning for abandoning iselhorn...you should pay more attention bunny :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Aug 10, 2010 7:08 PM
Yeah, it looks like Reuental will be a problem for Reinhard in the future.

Sep 27, 2010 10:57 AM

after the reuental-mittermeyer episode,i'd say this was the best of the 2nd season:)

it was just really good..from reuental's dream to yang sitting there drinking his tea while attenborough was stressing like hell xD

so the FPA left isserlhon...i admire yang and his plans :),he's getting closer and closer to my top 10 characters,and there are plenty of episodes left

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Nov 27, 2010 2:38 PM

What is exactly is Yang's real trap?

Anyone notice Reinhard might win this one?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Nov 28, 2010 8:47 AM

Confucius said:

NO koreye (formerly eyerok)...must...not...tell...spoilers ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Aug 9, 2011 9:49 AM

So, I didn't exactly understand what was Attenborrough's plan and how did Lennenkampt (sp?) fell for it...

He sacrificed a few transport ships to achieve what? Get them into Iserlohn's firing range...

Whatever it was, it's lost in translation... Can anyone explain?
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!

Aug 12, 2011 3:13 PM
smokes said:
insan3soldiern said:

yeah, nice character development

+1...this show has tons of great character development. They even got me to like Dusty a little more. I like his escape and Yang's face when he had to take the blame.

Nov 9, 2011 10:31 PM

Reuental is another badass character, and is boss as hell.

600 babies on one ship? That's just asinine.

Jan 12, 2012 10:56 PM

So the Ulysses is now the White Base.

...Awesome.
=3

Feb 8, 2012 1:02 PM

Reuental is pretty based, but I like Wolfgang a bit more.

Apr 29, 2012 9:14 PM

Mittermeyer and Reuenthal are similar on many levels, but over the course of 46 episodes, subtle differences have been drawn between them. Both of them court marshaled soldiers for war crimes after their respective conquests, but Mittermeyer assigned the execution to a firing squad while Reuenthal pulled the trigger himself.

He's developed into quite the character in the second season.

Confucius said:

He left Schenkopp behind, obviously. With the experience he gained from capturing Iserlohn the first time, he doesn't even need the rest of the Rosen Ritters to capture it a second time.

And while we're talking about him, let me point out that Schenkopp is clearly the only person who can hold a philosophical conversation with Yang at close to Yang's level. "If the majority of the citizens wish dictatorship instead of democracy...how do solve such a paradox?" -- that's something that could've come straight from Yang's mouth itself.

Jun 4, 2012 10:27 PM

Hakuromatsu said:
Mittermeyer and Reuenthal are similar on many levels, but over the course of 46 episodes, subtle differences have been drawn between them. Both of them court marshaled soldiers for war crimes after their respective conquests, but Mittermeyer assigned the execution to a firing squad while Reuenthal pulled the trigger himself.

Yeah, I was thinking about the execution an episode or ago with Mittermeyer as Reuental pulled the trigger myself. I'm assuming that it was the authors intention to show the subtle similarities and differences between the two, much like how they've done with Reinhard and Yang throughout the series. It's a real nice touch, I think.

Reuental is a great character, probably the only one I've seen that is worthy of Wakamoto's godly voice.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Aug 1, 2013 12:00 AM

Some nice foreshadowing, Reuenthal has his own ambitions.

Sep 17, 2013 2:49 PM

That was kind of anti-climactic. I thought there would be a fight as the Allied forces tried to escape from the fortress, but I guess not.

Feb 17, 2014 1:13 PM

Dude is wenli really telling this guys too abonden their defense lines , without even fighting because "it is useless for them anyways"? And the defense lines not only clearly gives him an advantage against his enemies, it also hold a freaking gun that can shoot a million ships with only one shot.

Hey idiot, how about you use your defense lines for.. i dont know.. defending your freaking territory?
Who put this clearly mentaly retarded in charge anyways. I mean when i got a job for a high military commander i dont hand it over to someone suffering on heavy braincancer, right?

Oh wait i see now, Wenli wants the imperials to win, so he is just trolling his allies.
Modified by Lockensocke, Mar 1, 2014 9:38 AM

Mar 1, 2014 9:32 AM

Oh no. 600 babies on one ship. :(

I love how everyone in series are amazed by Yang's reputation. I wouldn't say that he is superiously great tactican. He is just a man in the wrong place (el fasil). But a man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Sep 28, 2014 9:35 AM

That foreshadowing...Somethings definitely going to happen...It's good we got to see more of Reuental's character this episode. He is smart enough to realise that Yang might of left a bigger present, However he doesn't care as it probably won't be his responsibility. Although I like Reuental, to be honest I have to say that this is pretty selfish. This character development is amazing. Although I do want Reuental to stay loyal to Reinhard :((

Nov 9, 2014 7:33 AM

Seems like Reuental might attempt to challenge Reinhard sometime in the future which would probably result in him fighting a battle against Mittermeyer who is loyal to Reinhard.

Nov 26, 2014 7:25 PM

the parallels between Mittermeyer and Reuenthal's characterization have been build throughout the series but this episode seem to be the point where the two differ. Also like the use of the firing squad to show the subtle differences. Mittermeyer let the firing squad do the shooting while Reuenthal pulled the trigger himself. He isn't simply absorbed into Reinhard's ambition like everyone else but defies it to a certain degree. This is how you do character development. Also gives you foreshadowing of a possible confrontation between Reinhard and Reuenthal.

Mar 2, 2015 5:02 PM

Reuntal was giving me the impression that he's gonna try to take Reindhart's place sometime.

Apr 15, 2015 7:32 AM

It's been a while but damn this show is so damn great!

May 29, 2015 10:49 AM

One day, Reuntal is gonna start his own plan to take over Reinhard's forces maybe ? Interesting development on his character nonetheless, Yang is one sneaky mofo though xD.

Jun 30, 2015 3:02 AM

Seems Reuntal has some strong ambitions.

Sep 6, 2015 7:08 PM

^ Agree with most above.

You can see the fierce ambition in Reuenthal's face at the end of this episode. Great foreshadowing for the future.

Apr 7, 2016 11:02 PM

Reuenthal wants to be on the top! Go for it, boy!

May 8, 2016 6:23 AM

Does this mean a foreshadowing of Reuental betraying Reinhard? Interesting

Jun 13, 2016 5:54 PM

Schenkopp's still feening for that dictator Yang huh? lol

Oh boy, Reuenthal might be up to some shit...Can't wait!

Mar 31, 2017 8:08 AM

Yang abandones Inserlhon, with the hope to reconquest another!!! That i can watch this war will be large, and hard!!! :/

Hello, my litte boy!

Feb 3, 2018 1:14 PM

Reuenthal looked like he was possessed by the devil I will definitely miss him if something happens to him.

Sep 24, 2018 12:11 AM

Summary for the first half of this episode: any character that matters understands the necessity for Yang to leave Iserlohn, while everyone else goes "no way that's impossible."

Feb 6, 4:19 AM

The first scene was exceptional, Reuental charisma is flawless and the scenario is worthy, this episode will remain in my memory for longer time than usual.