Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2010 6:45 PM

Apr 2010
Inspired in part by the recent thread where some kid got made fun of while working in a group, and that other thread about Jungian typology that labels most people on this site as INTP, I was wondering how you guys work/worked in school/work when you are/were in school/work. (That was a bit much, eh?)

What kind of role do you play in group work? Are you that stupid leecher he does nothing while everyone else is working their off asses to make up for you? Are you the one who complains to that stupid leecher? Or are you, like me, the guy who has trouble communicating properly with everyone else and takes most of the work load to avoid social problems? Whoever you are, just post how you work in groups. If you're especially confident, you can even post tips for all those other socially awkward fellows like myself!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2010 6:46 PM

Sep 2010
I work well by myself. Plus I hate people.
Now, count up your sins!
Sep 15, 2010 6:49 PM

Jul 2010
the social bug leader - we goof off while doing it all and then somehow miraculously to the genius group we get a better grade than them because we were creative lol

lol i miss highschool i dont get group work anymore lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2010 6:54 PM

Oct 2009
Depends on which class. Some of my classes are more advanced, and thus the person I'm working with is generally more motivated, while the classes that aren't so advanced, well, if the teacher is pairing, I typically find that my partner isn't very motivated, and so when I go into my project trying, and they aren't, I'm usually either having to settle with their work, or having to do it all myself. So, overall, I prefer to work by myself since I'm in control of how much work goes into the project. I work fine with people, just as long as they're working.

Sep 15, 2010 6:55 PM

Dec 2008
For me, nursing school was all about group work.

It really depended on the group. If there are what I call "natural leaders" and really outspoken people in the group, I let them take the reins and give my input as required. If there are quieter people in the group, I will tend to step up and get things rolling (because I hate when things feel stagnated). And then there are groups where I wanted to bash people's heads in, but surprisingly, it doesn't happen too often (or maybe I'm just an optimist).
Sep 15, 2010 6:57 PM

May 2010
It depends on how well they will work of course =)
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 15, 2010 7:23 PM
Jul 2018
well, it depends...

when being grouped with friends - now on this it also depends... most of my friends are hardworkers, so we do very well together in groups and do about the same amount of work. but when i get stuck with one of my friends who doesn't really care too much about the work, i do end up doing all of it without really complaining. and honestly, i don't really mind. i remember back in the 8th grade... my friends in my English class were the really lazy types. so when we got grouped together we'd all just fool around (yes i ended up being rather influenced by them. xD it was middle school, what do you expect?) and then near the deadline they'd say "April!! it's due soon! can you pleeeease finish it for us?". and then i worked really quickly on all of it while they kept talking to each other. ;;>> yeah, i know, not exactly good friends. xD;

when being grouped with people i don't know that well but they're pretty decent workers - i'm very shy, so i will try to settle on what i'll work on right away and do it alone and quietly. if it looks like someone is a little behind, i may bring it up to the group and hope that someone who's more of leader than myself will handle it.

when being grouped with people who are apathetic about the project - i will just quitely do most or even all of the work, while not really bothering them. in a rather non-assertive manner i will tell them what to work on if they want to work on something and if i see they're not doing it i will do it instead for them. i'm pretty much the one who pieces everything together in groups like these.

as you can tell, i mostly like working alone, unless i'm working with some friends that i can have fun with but still can get the work done.
Sep 15, 2010 7:24 PM

Dec 2009
depends on the people but i usually like being the bossy person of the group:P
Sep 15, 2010 7:24 PM

Jul 2010
Back in Highschool I was the leecher. I slept all class, and for group projects I usually didn't bother participating and just let everyone else do all the work.

This changed when I started going to college though. I went to college for Computer Programming and the majority of the students in my class were the same. So when I got my first group, I realized none of us were doing work, we were all just slacking and waiting for someone else to do it all. So I said **** it, and nominated myself as the leader and forced the other people in my group to work (While doing my fair share of course).

For every group for the rest of the year I was the Group Leader, I told people what they were doing and when it had to be done. I managed to turn the biggest slacker in the class to a normal slacker by the end of the year. Now I am a person who likes to be in charge. :)
Sep 15, 2010 7:33 PM

Jun 2010
It was always just easier for me to do the work. I never liked having other people do things because if someone messed up, then I'd be annoyed that I wasn't the one who was responsible for the points lost. Every group I worked with didn't seem to have a problem with me doing all of it, since we usually got an A.

If i absolutely just couldn't do it all myself, I always triple checked everything people did to be sure it was well done.

Trust issues, I guess.
Sep 15, 2010 7:33 PM

Mar 2009
I can work on my own and in groups as well. However when it concerns groups, it also depends on the group itself. If the group members aren't cooperative or don't even attempt to do anything, then it's gonna give me quite a hard time.
Sep 15, 2010 7:41 PM
Dec 2009
I do well by myself but it all depends on other people when in a group. you may end up; stuck with three slackers in a group of four.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Sep 15, 2010 7:45 PM

Feb 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:
I can work on my own and in groups as well. However when it concerns groups, it also depends on the group itself. If the group members aren't cooperative or don't even attempt to do anything, then it's gonna give me quite a hard time.

Pretty much this.
Also if the group is full of people who complain about every little thing. No.
Sep 15, 2010 7:45 PM

Jul 2010
Groups are alright, when everyone does their share. It's a pain trying to get lazy people to cooperate.
Sep 15, 2010 7:48 PM

Sep 2008
Ohoho, topic reminds me of something I read in 4chan

* Teacher tells class to partner up
* Waits for everyone and is odd person left
* Works alone
* Finishes faster and gets an A on it

I honestly don't mind working, but I take the core of the work because I know the grade I want to get.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2010 7:51 PM

Apr 2010
I work alone.

Sep 15, 2010 7:56 PM

Jan 2010
It depends on the people and the size of the group. In large groups (more than 10 persons), I tend to be a leecher. In small groups, If I'm with an active "class leader" type, I'd be glad to just follow instructions from him/her. If everyone in the group are slackers, I'll suggest a thing or two then I'll ask them to choose from those options and maybe if they want to add anything. Then I'll assign tasks to them. I'm pretty flexible and I don't have problems working in groups. But I prefer if my groupmates are friends of mine.
Sep 15, 2010 8:14 PM

Apr 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
* Works alone
That used to be my strategy. Then teachers wised up started putting me in groups of three.
Sep 15, 2010 8:16 PM

Feb 2010
zharnotczar said:
Or are you, like me, the guy who has trouble communicating properly with everyone else and takes most of the work load to avoid social problems?

This :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2010 8:32 PM

Jun 2009
Well, it's like this, I work quite well in good groups, but if the group isn't a good group, I can't bring it together and save it. I'm not that kind of person. I tend to just abandon the group altogether in that case, which certainly does not help the situation. >.<

But if the group is good, then I can easily fill any role that needs filling, and will generally pick up any slack left by the rest of the group. I can lead the group, or I can do the grunt work, whatever most needs doing. It makes no difference to me.

What it all comes down to is whether or not the group I'm in has direction. That's the one thing I can't do is give direction to a group.
Sep 15, 2010 8:49 PM

Feb 2010
If it's a pick your own group then expect a lot of slacking off till last minutes where you start working your ass off or do nothing.

If it's an assigned group with people you're not familiar with then it's the other way around?
Sep 15, 2010 8:56 PM
Jan 2010
Well in group works/projects,i'm always the one presenting the final thing since its the easiest for me at least :D
Sep 15, 2010 8:57 PM

Sep 2010
im the type who takes in charge if no one is going to. if no one DOES take charge, i will devide the work evenly and assign them to each member of the group. i finish my work whether theyre done or not. and i wont help unless if you are a good/close friend.

if someone does takes charge, then so be it.
世界中から我々のメンバーの雹。ない階層があります。みんな、国籍は、民族、経済的地位、年齢、能力に関係なく同じです。私たちの旗は、任意の色を持っていません。我々は、無色である。我々は、 ドルですです。
イシシシシ~
Sep 16, 2010 3:06 AM
Dec 2009
Depends who I'm working with, though I usually prefer to work on my own so I don't have to limit myself or make others limit themselves on our different wants.
Sep 16, 2010 5:17 AM

Dec 2007
I usually prefer to work alone, because I do it must faster. In a group I usually take the overly passive or the overly active roles. In a group that was just formed I usually organize a to-do list, divide it by the group and stalk them till they start doing things. Then I just wait for things to happen, gather everything and based on the rest of the group's research I make a finished work. If I suddenly join a group, I just wait till something is attributed to me, do it as fast as I can and deliver.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 16, 2010 5:37 AM

Aug 2010
This is something I'd rather not remind myself of. My social life had its ups and downs, but generally situations where even the people who I thought were my friends had dumped me when it was required to group as well as those where I did surprisingly well and was in pretty much the center of attention have both happened. With me I think the most important are those first few moments of conversation, where it's decided what attitude people take towards myself and vice versa plus some random luck - otherwise, chances are my SAD might surface up when I just become completely introvert and start avoiding any way of social interaction. What's different about me is that I seldom give up and stop trying, I won't have myself classified as a weirdo without putting up a good fight and seeing where I stand.
Sep 16, 2010 5:51 AM
Feb 2010
I work best by myself to be honest.
With others I feel like I'm either talking to less or too much.

I don't mind working in groups though, I have to do it a lot at College. However I don't like depending on others, and I don't like others depending on me either.
Sep 16, 2010 6:34 AM

Dec 2007
jiyuudansei said:
This is something I'd rather not remind myself of. My social life had its ups and downs, but generally situations where even the people who I thought were my friends had dumped me when it was required to group as well as those where I did surprisingly well and was in pretty much the center of attention have both happened. With me I think the most important are those first few moments of conversation, where it's decided what attitude people take towards myself and vice versa plus some random luck - otherwise, chances are my SAD might surface up when I just become completely introvert and start avoiding any way of social interaction. What's different about me is that I seldom give up and stop trying, I won't have myself classified as a weirdo without putting up a good fight and seeing where I stand.

Something people should distinguish is that group work =/= friends.

I hate to make works with my friends, and we stopped doing that completely, because we don't work well together and if e call each other on it things get awkward. One thing is professional and academic work, and that is completely independent from friends.

I guess you have to be out of school and get to superior education to realize that. It was hard on me on my first years because I didn't draw the line, and I felt betrayed when people would not talk to me outside of the group.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 16, 2010 6:35 AM

Dec 2009
I'm usually the guy that rides on everyone else's successes, but if I'm in a group of people that are lower than me, then I usually take the leader role.

So yeah, I love being in a group because I'm either not doing anything or I'm the one with complete power.
Sep 16, 2010 2:09 PM

Jun 2008
In high school and below, group works for me often involves hours of doing nothing. We mostly just talk about random stuff instead of actually doing anything.

In university, if we're all complete strangers, chances are nobody will talk and somehow I'm always the dude who talks first or relaxes first. And I'm considered an introvert, too. In presentations, I almost always seem like a complete idiot. Both intentional and unintentional.

Don't even get me started on study groups. It's like we all know we're doing nothing productive, yet still we continue to do nothing. Which is probably why I kind of panicked and got a 80 on the math exam. FUUUUU.
Sep 16, 2010 8:36 PM

Aug 2010
I do most of the work, I guess I'm kind of a push over. That's why I prefer individual projects/reports to group ones.
Sep 17, 2010 12:47 AM

Mar 2010
I'm usually the bossy and creative one -- giving orders and ideas is my specialty lol :D In most cases I also present things since I don't mind talking in front of people ^^
... and yeah, I do most of the stuff when working in a group .__. that's why I prefer working alone - either way I do everything on my own so let's just finish the job without other people pretending to be doing smth around me XD
Sep 17, 2010 12:49 AM

Oct 2008
I always found out that I work better alone - I can do things faster and yet better when I'm alone.
With people I can never work well. Everything ends up worse and most of the groups I worked in had people that never took work/homework seriously.
Sep 17, 2010 7:08 AM

Mar 2009
Luckily I no longer have to work in groups. They made me nervous as hell in school. Now I get to work alone~

I like being able to set my own lazy pace.
Sep 17, 2010 8:36 AM

Mar 2009
I work well in groups. The only time i don't work well is when i end up doing all the work...
Sep 17, 2010 9:51 AM

Jun 2010
in groups, I usually talk to the leader and help him/her in decision making. (I hate assuming the role of leader though.)
If I don't like the leader, I always have a back-up plan for the group (just in case).
In pairs, I go with a person who I can depend on and trust. (usually a close friend)
If assigned to pair up with someone I don't like or can't depend on, usually do the work alone (I don't mind sharing the credit.)
Sep 17, 2010 10:02 AM

Jun 2009
It depends on the friends i'm working with, and of course small groups. But I prefer to work alone because it's easier.

Sep 17, 2010 2:30 PM

Aug 2009
I prefer group work. It's almost always fun. Well for me at least. As for my input, I sometimes need to be calmed down and am told that there are other people working with me as well. I don't try to be a 'leader'. I don't enforce my ideas but I have MANY of them and I get pretty excited trying to decide on one. And in the end, they all end up using it.

So, I guess I like working in groups because of my imagination. It floods.

It's understandable that some people can be socially uncomfortable in such events and don't know what to do or how to approach something. In that case, I'd say go the loudest and friendliest person in the group and ask them what to do. Or just go ahead and contribute! Who cares what others think? It's a group work and you're a part of it.

What I DON'T like though is the one who's always bitching around at others for making a mistake or two or doing some they don't approve of while not contributing anything them self. Yeah I'm thinking of someone right now..
k0k0Sep 17, 2010 2:35 PM
Sep 17, 2010 2:36 PM

Feb 2010
Small groups I can handle. Big ones make me rage when we all HAVE to share opinions.

Gonna Catch 'Em All
Sep 17, 2010 2:47 PM

Mar 2010
When I'm with people i feel comfortable with, it's okay. But when I'm people I don't like, it just doesn't work at all. I work better by myself since I'm such a perfectionist
Sep 17, 2010 3:57 PM

Dec 2008
I'd rather work by myself, that way I have way more creative freedom and don't have to depend on others or get mad at them for not doing s***.
Sep 17, 2010 4:01 PM

Jul 2010
Cowabunga said:
I'd rather work by myself, that way I have way more creative freedom and don't have to depend on others or get mad at them for not doing s***.
It's been a while...
Sep 19, 2010 12:05 AM

Jan 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
* Works alone

This is pretty much me.

Unless I'm lucky and I'm in the same class as my group of friends, then I usually partner up with them.
Sep 19, 2010 2:35 AM

Nov 2008
If the professor's the one deciding the grouping, well it's a bit uncomfortable working with people who I'm not close with. And I always end up being:

"the guy who has trouble communicating properly with everyone else and takes most of the work load to avoid social problems"

If by pair, I work well with my close friend. We're mutual in terms of working. :3
Sep 19, 2010 5:19 AM

Nov 2009
jd2456 said:

dis
Sep 19, 2010 8:36 AM

Aug 2010
Misoneism said:
jd2456 said:

dis

yep, sth like this. i hate conforming. But If I have to... well, it depends on situation. But I prefer working by myself
Sep 21, 2010 3:14 PM

Sep 2010
rather work by myself or a friend that im comfortable with.
strangers are ... grr.
right now im on here because one didnt show to finsih a poster.
ugh *facepalm*

Sep 21, 2010 3:29 PM

Jun 2008
zharnotczar said:
Inspired in part by the recent thread where some kid got made fun of while working in a group, and that other thread about Jungian typology that labels most people on this site as INTP, I was wondering how you guys work/worked in school/work when you are/were in school/work. (That was a bit much, eh?)

What kind of role do you play in group work? Are you that stupid leecher he does nothing while everyone else is working their off asses to make up for you? Are you the one who complains to that stupid leecher? Or are you, like me, the guy who has trouble communicating properly with everyone else and takes most of the work load to avoid social problems? Whoever you are, just post how you work in groups. If you're especially confident, you can even post tips for all those other socially awkward fellows like myself!

Dude you make no sense. If your work has groups or not is not exactly a choice. If your boss wants you to work with certain people that's what you are gonna do because you want your paycheck at the end of the month.
You probably only talk about study groups.
MonadSep 21, 2010 3:39 PM
Sep 21, 2010 4:05 PM

Apr 2010
Monad said:

Dude you make no sense. If your work has groups or not is not exactly a choice. If your boss wants you to work with certain people that's what you are gonna do because you want your paycheck at the end of the month.
You probably only talk about study groups.
It wasn't a question of whether or not you work in groups... I was asking how you work in groups...
Sep 21, 2010 4:06 PM

Jun 2008
I tend to enjoy working by myself, because many times the people I do end up working with, take advantage and have me do most, if not all the work. Plus it's hard when you all have different ideas. I am not totally against it, but it is hard.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.