Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
It's been awhile but I think Nier Auomata's setting still looks goregous with its background and world fiction. OP song is solid too.

Looks like this episode immediately jumped into a mission to find a robot (kinda similar to a mission from the acutal game). 2B and 9S are still the stars of this show. It also looks like this season will mostly retain a similar tone of storytelling compared to the first one, at least for now. Good to see Nier Automata back. Music is beautiful and I really do hope this season won't have inconsistent airing (like delays) again.
Jul 5, 8:00 AM

Dec 2021
Almost a year after the chaotic production that was the first season of the Nier anime, we're finally back for the second cour.

LiSA's OP is decent, but it's not up there with her best songs though. While GEMS COMPANY is also decent.

The year is 5012 AD. Aliens from outer space have suddenly arrived and begun their invasion of Earth. Humanity has fled to the Moon, leaving behind a prolonged battle on Earth between Machine Lifeforms and Androids. In the year 11945 AD, the 243rd Descent Mission was initiated. Since then, members of the YoRHa unit, 2B and 9S, have been engaged in missions to reclaim the planet. During a mission near the ruins of a city, a request from the Resistance comes in to search for a missing android. Considering the potential connection to their investigation from HQ, 2B and 9S begin their search for the missing unit.

Although I barely remember the details from the last batch of episodes released almost a year ago, I do recall at the very least that we finished Route A. Route A was always one of the weaker routes imo, so when the anime was announced, I was excited to see my favorite route, Route C, adapted. It looks like we're finally getting to it. And we jump right back into it, with all of 2B and 9S's antics and such.
is also finally here, though he only has a small cameo... which leads to the saddest part.. 2B vs. 9S. Then they try and cheer us up with some Commander fanservice lmao. Then the main girl of the Route makes her cameo as well, A2 my beloved.

Route A was just the start, we're now going into the best Route.. get the tissues ready.

Hoping we can at least make it to the fourth episode without delays this time lol.

Jul 5, 7:59 AM

May 2020
Largely lost interest in this adaptation after it getting riddled with delays last year. At the end of the day, this adaptation is just not the most ideal way to go through this game lol, despite the last part doing decently enough by combining routes A and B. Though yeah, we’d see the changes in this part as well, as I mean right from the get-go we did get that E model side quest.

Man was it not painful knowing and seeing whatever the fuck these androids are ordered to go through, but yeah on the other side, these things are what which would lead 9S’ realization about everything, and you know, 2B turning on against 9B was exactly what we needed after that and for this first episode as well. Now, I’m looking forward to how they’re planning to handle the parts with A2 this time. By the way, would still prefer cour one OP and ED.
Jul 5, 8:00 AM

Feb 2020
The long wait is finally over. It's good to have this show back.
Jul 5, 9:40 AM

Jan 2009
its back and damn looks like there is time loop going on 2b aka executioner keeps killing 9s eh im only an anime fan did not play the game
Jul 5, 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
Nice to have this series back after a year. Although it was the only anime I liked that came out of the Winter 2023 season, it was an anime full of delays and production issues, which was frustrating to watch for something actually worth seeing. Not a perfect adaptation of the game but it was a solid watch with some anime-only elements being a little confusing compared to the game's execution but some being great too.

As far as this return goes though, got to say that this was an episode with highs and lows for me. Liked how the type E YoRHas were introduced and connected that with 2E, and there were elements that were not introduced in the first part that were brought back to this one to not lose them permanently, as well as some additional stuff too. But the pacing did feel like a lot was happening with 9S and 2B just scouting with many different situations happening all in one episode. It has been a while since seeing the anime and a year and a half since playing the game so hearing the music once again after a while is always a great feeling, especially with how it compliments the world so well. And the action briefly was fun too while it lasted, looks solid again.

Opening was decent. LiSA's been very popular but haven't really loved her anime songs in a little while. This was decent though, and the visuals were far more cohesive I think than the original season's opening. Ending is decent too.

Overall, a fine return but a lot did happen so hopefully with the return having happened, things can settle down just a little more with the upcoming weeks. Hope for no delays this time around.
Jul 5, 9:57 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Stunning OP from Lisa as per usual. Marvelous display of swordmanship via 2B and Nines fight. Nines rapid search for a way to appease 2B was pretty hillarious. So the E model are the internal affairs units huh. Truly the hidden blade. 2B's true identity though was quite the shock. That scene where the assault units were unveiled really had the best matching song to it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 10:00 AM
Apr 2016
That cameo area from Nier though~
Jul 5, 10:10 AM

Jul 2011
I hope for glory to mankind, this one wont have some long and abrupt pause.

Impressing that the OP is great like the first, but as things many times goes, the ED is lackluster.

I like tsundere 2B.

"It looks suspicious! Let's destroy it, 2B." -9S
Jul 5, 10:11 AM

Jun 2021
The commander's fanservice was the best scene of the episode.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Jul 5, 10:26 AM
Feb 2022
The first opening was better. The episode was really good, and one of our protagonist is already dead?

Spanish translation:
El primer opening era mejor. El episodio fue muy bueno, y ¿uno de nuestros protagonistas ya esta muerto?
Jul 5, 10:32 AM

Jan 2021
The puppet segments are back and that makes me happy.
Jul 5, 10:38 AM

Feb 2019
2Bs ass is back my life is saved. Great first episode back and I know it’s probably confusing for people who haven’t played the games, don’t worry, it’s confusing for those who have too 💀 remember Automata is a sequel to the original Nier, which itself is a spinoff of one of the Drakengard games’ endings. So it’s ok to be lost, I trust A-1’s staff to guide everyone thru. The multiple endings bit will be tricky to bring to anime format, but if anyone can do it it’s this team.

Speaking of Nier, wasn’t that the sand village from replicant?!! Emil too!! They been throwing so many references to the first game and I really hope we get an adaptation of that one day. I need to see my baby Kaine animated.

As for this first ep back for Automata, production values have definitely got better so the staff used the time off well, hopefully we won’t have any delays with this one. LiSA new OP slaps and the visuals are beautiful. It’s not as good as Aimer’s, but it’s really good still.

They did a great job setting up 9s and 2Bs final moments of this route. Starting with the resistance member’s quest,and then the slice of life moments. Almost nulling you to sleep before the wtf moment of 2B cutting off 9s arm. Very well done, can’t wait to see these endings and A2!!

Commander is STRAPPED
Marinate1016Jul 5, 12:29 PM
Jul 5, 10:42 AM

Jan 2009
commander glory to mankind

Jul 5, 10:53 AM
May 2021
Gyat 2Ns ass is back!! Great ep cant liee
Jul 5, 10:55 AM
May 2021
Start of 2nd cour with a huge twist 💀. This summer season gonna be lit
Jul 5, 10:57 AM

Oct 2017
That commander fanservice caught me offguard but peak, defo needed that. Poor 9S and 2B though. A2's here, her route begins now. Simply best girl. Animation/visuals were beautiful again. The final battle begins.
Jul 5, 11:25 AM

Jul 2023
it's good thing it back with its shit visual and prod. lol 😂
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 5, 11:30 AM
Mar 2019
Enjoyed the episode as a game fan. OP and ED are amazing. Wonder where it’ll go from here though having already spoiled the major twist of the game???
Very weird structure. It sets the Amnesia side quest and a part of Emil’s memories in the past and combined it with several novellas of 9S and 2B’s past (which spoil everything), before ending with present time (start of Route C).
This is not an anime for anime onlies.
Jul 5, 11:40 AM

Apr 2012
We need more commander fanservice. A shower scene, perhaps or just sleeping with her hair, all messed up.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jul 5, 12:16 PM
Apr 2023
I like this new season
Jul 5, 12:47 PM

Jun 2017
Let's hope Part 2 won't end up in production hell. lol

Can't wait to see how 9S unfucks all this.
Jul 5, 1:11 PM

Dec 2019
So good to have this back!! Already off to a great start.
Jul 5, 1:28 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
The way they revealed 2E was really well done.
Jul 5, 2:03 PM

Nov 2021
Good start to cour 2, hope they don't run into any production issues like last time. I like the ED, very eerie
Jul 5, 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
I don't understand anything at all as an anime-only viewer, but I hope everything is ok with 9S. Ok, right?
Jul 5, 2:41 PM
Dec 2020
Muy bueno, merece más nota
Jul 5, 2:47 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to deg
its back and damn looks like there is time loop going on 2b aka executioner keeps killing 9s eh im only an anime fan did not play the game
@deg Not a time loop - Yorha units have stock of backup body's they could change if die during the battle...or wiping memory like in this case
Jul 5, 2:53 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
I don't understand anything at all as an anime-only viewer, but I hope everything is ok with 9S. Ok, right?
RobertBobert said:
YORHA units have spare bodies for replacement, but 9S would not remember his execution
Jul 5, 3:03 PM

Aug 2022
Masterpiece!
Telling story is a lot better in part 2!
+ I didn't know I needed fan service for commander white! 🥰
OP & ED were great!
I loved it, Thanks A-1 Pictures and legendary Yoko Taro!
Jul 5, 3:09 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to LG545
@deg Not a time loop - Yorha units have stock of backup body's they could change if die during the battle...or wiping memory like in this case
@LG545 welp you spoiled it for me but i guess its implied enough too

i guess killing 9s just means resetting his memories
Jul 5, 3:12 PM
Jun 2023
They covered the 2E so early on conpared to the game oml- other then that super good. I havent watched this anime sinse the first part stopped airing and long before that I had beaten both Automata and Replicant and like- I was so wrong by trusting Nier- I thought it would be cute because of 9S like wanting to get her a present. Thats what I get for trusting Nier.
Jul 5, 3:13 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to deg
@LG545 welp you spoiled it for me but i guess its implied enough too

@deg 1 ep in first cour we saw how 9S and 2B destroy their bodies
deg said:
Yep, with one tiny detail - 2B remember everything and force to act like they first time meet each other
Jul 5, 3:26 PM

Dec 2018
Kind of a departure from the game, It felt like it gave up 2B/2E too fast, and I bet anime only people will feel rushed, honestly not a good start. Fine on its own I guess but a little disappointing. The use of original music is great but the way it was placed was awkward.
Jul 5, 3:40 PM

Dec 2018
Reply to Shingster
Stunning OP from Lisa as per usual. Marvelous display of swordmanship via 2B and Nines fight. Nines rapid search for a way to appease 2B was pretty hillarious. So the E model are the internal affairs units huh. Truly the hidden blade. 2B's true identity though was quite the shock. That scene where the assault units were unveiled really had the best matching song to it.
@Shingster
. She loves him deeply but can't show it.
Jul 5, 4:19 PM
Nov 2023
very excited they're covering novella content
Jul 5, 6:10 PM

Oct 2014
Still pleasantly surprised by this adaptation
Jul 5, 6:44 PM

Apr 2022
2Booty is back, can't say i'm still as interested as i used to be pre-delays for cour 1 though.
Jul 5, 7:05 PM
Jan 2018
Reply to deg
commander glory to mankind

@deg Glory to Mankind Indeed
Jul 5, 8:32 PM

Aug 2011
2B IS A Singularities LIKE ZERO FROM DRAKENGARD ALSO I NEED MORE DANCING 2B

Persons, places, or things that can trigger a divergence, or branch, across multiple worlds. Branch phenomena occur when enough magic particles are in an area, and all relevant conditions are met. However, a singularity is not recorded as such until after a branch occurs.

Jul 5, 8:51 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to LG545
RobertBobert said:
YORHA units have spare bodies for replacement, but 9S would not remember his execution
@LG545 the first season already revealed that they are effectively immortal, but require information to be downloaded.
Jul 5, 9:45 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to LG545
RobertBobert said:
@LG545 Then what's the point? I assume he was killed because he'd accessed prohibited data. If that data was part of his last backup and all that wasn't in his save point was his actual execution, what did the execution solve?
Jul 5, 9:48 PM
Oct 2020
As an anime-only, that was unexpected.
Jul 5, 10:18 PM

Mar 2020
NieR is back for more, and all I hope for is that the production is stable enough so that we won't have the delays we had in Part 1, which really killed some of my interest, even if the latter portions of Part 1 were genuinely quite solid, and headed in the right direction. There was a lot going on, and frankly, it got a little confusing for me with all that happened, especially the Execution YoRHa models that ended up leading to the 2E reveal. A fine return, and the music was splendid as usual.
Jul 6, 2:44 AM
Dec 2021
The show remains interesting and mysterious.
The work done by the studio is very positive, being competent in both action and comedy scenes.
It’s impossible not to sympathize with 2B and 9S =)
Jul 6, 3:53 AM
Jun 2024
spoilers but like it's peak
Jul 6, 3:58 AM

Apr 2022
Love the OST. Unfortunately I knew that 2B was actually 2E but that didn't make this episode any less exciting, just how many times she killed 9S?

I can't see what second part is gonna offer, just hoping for no delays.

Jul 6, 4:09 AM
Apr 2018
Reply to wallsg
@LG545 Then what's the point? I assume he was killed because he'd accessed prohibited data. If that data was part of his last backup and all that wasn't in his save point was his actual execution, what did the execution solve?
@wallsg Would he have given the same data though? If you noticed this 9S said to 2B about how the 9S models usually work alone and it is nice to be with someone, which to me gives the impression that this 9S does not remember anything that happened previously.
Jul 6, 4:40 AM
Jan 2020
Few minutes in, 2b's ass is on our face lmao
Jul 6, 6:35 AM

May 2015
Eyyy shrine from replicant was nice touch!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Canon

Rayane-47 - 2 hours ago

5 by LuizMakarov »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Yesterday

54 by Playcool »»
1 hour ago

» Anime-only fans, my condolences!

SteelLad - Jul 20

22 by Rayane-47 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19

64 by ReganDesu »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 12

55 by ReganDesu »»
Jul 22, 7:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.