Forum Settings
Forums

Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

New
May 2, 8:29 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Hello~

Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular regardless you will like it or not? :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 2, 8:32 PM

May 2019
i'm very selective about the anime i to watch, so when i decide to pick up an anime i know i will like it because i had already done my due diligence and research about it.

I never watch anything randomly.
May 2, 8:56 PM

Jul 2023
For seasonals I'll usually just watch the one or two most hyped shows of the season, then pick some other shows to watch that personally look appealing to me.
May 2, 8:58 PM

Oct 2017
I basically just pick if I think I'll enjoy it. Popularity isn't usually a factor in my decision making process
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 2, 9:00 PM
Feb 2014
The first option, i usually pick a new anime to watch thinking i will like it regardless of popularity, sometimes it happens to be popular but i already had genuine interest in it.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 2, 9:01 PM

Aug 2018
A little bit of research goes a long way. I don't just watch any random show.
May 2, 9:13 PM

Jul 2023
If the synopsis appeals to me, or the art style, then I will usually give it a gander. However, I don't like looking around too much for new things beyond seasonals as I already have a backlog I've been sitting on for years now and I still have the audacity to add to it when seeing something that catches my eye for one reason or another.
May 2, 9:28 PM

Dec 2022
Before putting anime into my list, I check for whether it might appeal to me. Things like the synopsis, tags on the source material, or connections with other anime I enjoyed. If I do end up picking up something popular, it's because I thought I would enjoy it.
MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
May 2, 9:48 PM

Sep 2022
I do a mix of both. I like to try to understand the hype behind popular anime (usually seasonals), but more often watch anime that I think I will enjoy.
May 2, 9:51 PM
Dec 2021
Usually I check out everything that airs in a new season. Other than that I tend to watch the things my friends on MAL gave a high score.

May 2, 9:53 PM

Nov 2019
I usually do background checks these days because I'd hate to waste my time watching something I don't enjoy watching.
However, in my beginner days anything without ecchi was fair game
May 2, 9:59 PM
Oct 2019
Just watch thing randomly as long the poster attract my attention. In the past I watched some stuff because it was popular and with the results I got I rather go at random as long I am interested in watching it.
May 2, 10:01 PM
Apr 2022
I see the cover, read the genre is my fave genre, read description and I will try watch the first episode. If I like it. I will continue. If not, I drop it.

Not really picking if it popular or not.
May 2, 10:03 PM

Dec 2021
I'm an impulsive brat, so I'm susceptible to letting random people tell me "Hey, watch this", and me just add it to my queue if it looks right for me. After that, it's just me picking what I want from my PtW at the moment, and watching it. New stuff though... eh. I'll stick with stuff that's old, without the popularity or relevancy being a factor for me.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 2, 10:09 PM

Feb 2018
Well the former, why would I intentionally pick something I think I won't like? Even if something is popular, I'm only going to start it if it's a genre I know I'm interested in.
May 2, 10:15 PM

Oct 2013
Per my agreement with satan, I have to watch whatever he chooses for me, or spend all of eternity watching every shitty movie remake and sequel that has ever come out.
May 2, 10:22 PM

Feb 2020
I always check the synopsis and genre/theme tags. I don't care a crap about its popularity.
May 3, 6:21 AM

Sep 2016
Both, if an Anime is popular, then there must be a reason, that makes me think there is a good chance I will like it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 3, 6:26 AM

Mar 2023
I will watch anime that looks like something i would enjoy.
May 3, 6:28 AM

Apr 2013
I just pick anything I deem interesting from GIFs, synopsis or recommendations. Don't really care for popular anime, I still haven't watched Steins;Gate or Jujutsu Kaisen and I'm not planning to.
May 3, 6:36 AM

May 2015
Lot of us don't have the luxury of time to watch random shits, the same reason that I try to choose only shows that I think I will enjoy. Popularity hardly makes better any genre that I dislike or don't care about to begin with.
May 3, 6:39 AM

Jun 2019
I mostly watch ones that seem like I'd enjoy them. Every now and then I give some popular ones a try even if they don't seem that interesting to me. Stuff tends to be popular because people like it, so why not give it a try.
May 3, 6:39 AM

Oct 2021
Imagine picking up series, just because they're popular.
May 3, 6:46 AM

May 2021
I think I only watch things that I know I will find interesting, however those tend to be popular series anyway
May 3, 6:47 AM

Jan 2023
I pick based on if it interests me from first appearance, not if I may like it or if it’s popular at the moment. Yeah it’s nice to watch something that I’m most likely to enjoy and something being popular I may be inclined to watch it to see what the talk is about, but if something catches my eye or piques my interest, I’m most likely going to watch it regardless if I’ll like it or not.
May 3, 7:10 AM

Feb 2024
I pick anime from random people lists and suggestions.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 3, 7:28 AM

Aug 2013
I check under seasonal anime and read the synopsis and check the tag. If it is approved, I check it out.

Unfortunately some synopsis and tags don't convince me & I do miss out on some good stuff. Luckily that is where AD comes in, sometimes somebody says X and I'm like 'Really?! Ok I'll check it out.' Latest example is Aho Girl. I like it, while I actively ignored it back when it was a seasonal anime.

Also when I'm checking out non seasonal anime and the synopsis isn't very convincing, but the tags indicate I might like it... I take a quick look at the reviews, I pick a good one, a bad one and a mixed feeling one. Then I decide whether to check it out or keep on looking.

So in conclusion I mostly see what I think I will like. I might check out popular ones to see what the fuzz is all about, like Frieren, apothecary diaries & Oshi no Ko. Sometimes those are a hit, other times it's a miss & I just drop them.
CoaghimMay 3, 7:34 AM
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...

I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

THE HYPE IS REAL!! It's time!! 2 Become a legend, the Ghost of Tsushima
May 3, 7:42 AM
Mar 2017
It’s hard for me to answer this … I’ve liked almost every popular show I’ve seen , cause they’re my favorite genre mostly / so it’s both at the same time , I choose shows I know I’ll like , and 65% ( not sure just my assumption) of them tend to be popular
May 3, 7:59 AM

Jun 2023
Popularity isn't really a factor. I haven't really watched seasonals since the early '10s. Usually I'll go by a series synopsis, or people's recommendations. I'll also look at the list of works studios who have put out some of my fave series, and find ones that way. Tbh, there are some that I've been meaning to watch for years, because I remember it being really popular at the time, but haven't gotten around to it (looking at you, Shana).
May 3, 8:00 AM

Jan 2021
I only watch what I feel like watching

If anime is boring I won't force myself to watch it

I am more likely to try out a popular show though
May 3, 8:00 AM
May 2012
I definitely do some research in picking anime and I start something only if I might like it.
May 3, 8:20 AM

May 2023
I usually choose popular animes of the season and animes that I liked, but I also tend to watch older animes that I know I'll like.
May 3, 11:00 AM

Nov 2017
I am picking the series I though I will like from popular series.
May 3, 11:15 AM

Aug 2011
I only watch anime that I actually expect to enjoy to some extent (something that I would rate at least 6+ in the end). I'm not sure why anyone would watch something they didn't even think they would like.

I do check out a lot of anime just because they're popular, because I want to see what all the fuss is about, and I might find a good anime in the process, but I only continue to watch them if I actually enjoy them.
May 3, 11:16 AM

Jan 2009
i check the pv and synopsis first and most of the time i like it
May 3, 11:49 AM

Sep 2018
I prefer giving (almost) anything a try and eventually dropping after one episode over not trying at all. Something is popular? I'll try. Something has an interesting premise? I'll try. The things I usually avoid are generic fantasy (often isekai) #2435 or things that don't seem that interesting and also have terrible animation.
May 3, 12:13 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to ST63LTH
I usually do background checks these days because I'd hate to waste my time watching something I don't enjoy watching.
ST63LTH said:

Pretty much the same here minus the "anything without ecchi was fair game" part, but popularity/hype can be part of the factor as long it's something I'll like or enjoy.
May 3, 12:19 PM

Apr 2018
Most of the time I pick something I have a higher likelihood of enjoying, but sometimes I just want be surprised and will pick something outside my comfort zone, or something I'm not sure I would enjoy but am interested to find out. Popularity is rarely a factor in my decision making process.
May 3, 5:39 PM
Feb 2024
I usually pick whichever I think is interesting
May 3, 5:50 PM

Nov 2019
Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

No
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
May 3, 6:01 PM
Sep 2017
I pick hoping I will like it. sometimes I pick random. I do look at the genre, as it's easy to get burned out on some. If I'm not excited in EP 1 I drop it. I avoid popular series now. That is how series are getting overlooked.they are only popular because they are way too easy to access. One Piece is still at the top for some reason right?

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9111 by jorel262 »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI?

Akuya - Yesterday

41 by Akuya »»
2 minutes ago

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - 4 hours ago

10 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago

» Why is Shaft the best animation studio out there? ( 1 2 3 4 )

kokuborou - Sep 22, 2017

164 by DesuMaiden »»
16 minutes ago

» How do you react to getting spoiled? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 15

56 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.