Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 20, 7:25 AM

Jan 2009
kikoru is finally here

and op and ed are nice

Dec 2021
At least Kafka has Leno on his side, a good friend at least.

Having YUNGBLUD do the OP was already an... well, interesting choice, but making the opening fully CG? Yikes. Though the CG is kinda trippy in a way... hate to say it, but... I kinda like it.

Kafka successfully persuades Leno of his identity and attempts to offer a reassuring smile to the elderly man. However, his visage proves too unsettling, causing Leno to lose consciousness. Placing his hand on the wall for support, Kafka inadvertently unleashes tremendous force, shocking both himself and Leno with his overwhelming strength. In the midst of the chaos caused by the damage, they opt for an escape through the window, which Kafka unintentionally tears apart along with the wall in his attempt to open it.

It seems Kafka has shapeshifting abilities. Hopefully, this means we'll see him fight in more interesting ways besides relying solely on brute strength. It seems he's also learned how to transform back into a human, but I still doubt the Defense Corps will trust him that easily. Then there's Kikoru... I hate female characters like her, so arrogant and selfish. She just threw his car because of a number, and I already know they'll still end up being friends. But seriously, no anime is complete without a blonde, rich, arrogant kid who can't do things normally, huh? Just ask nicely, and if not, just move it aside. Why'd you have to throw it like that, lol? ED is very creative and unique, btw, I love it.

On to the second-stage examination, we go.

Aug 2022
"Please do not kill the good Kaiju." Little girl said , she understood his good intentions 😭.
Yo He passed the 1st round now onto the 2nd round of examination.
Did she just threw the car like nothing!!!😲
"Do you know you smell like kaiju" that rich girl said🤣
Lol this line had me rolling 😂.
I'm really excited for the next Episode 🔥
Ricky16Apr 20, 7:41 AM
Apr 20, 7:26 AM

May 2020
For a kaiju, that’s a really cool look. I mean if we see the examples we went through in the last episode, Kafka’s transformation doesn’t even look like their average Godzilla lookalikes. By the way, peeing through your nipples(sort of) is one really weird thing to say the least xD

Anyways, a convenient Kaiju attack happened, once again, because of course they wanted to show the power scales Kafka’s operating on. And that’s kind of… out of this world, at least from however much we saw yet, and will see this season, I guess. Though hey, title drop happened, and now we know why he’s named as Kaiju #8.

Test and all is fine, but I’d really prefer less screen time for someone like Kikoru. She’s barely sufferable the way she had been in the manga for all this time, but in adaptation… with voice, this is going to be really tough going forward.

Opening visuals absolutely slap. Can’t say the same about their preference for english songs though. I mean going by their obsession, for now it’s just One Republic, won’t be surprised if they pull someone like Imagine dragons for next season lol.
Apr 20, 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, the OP song is wild, kinda caught me off guard tbh. Got more flashbacks between Kafka and Mina so I have a feeling this might be a recurring trend in these first episodes.

Kafka's reactions as a kaiju were comedy gold imo. They played his scenes with comedic moments even though his life just changed. Kikoru also made an appearance this episode and her voice is exactly how I'd imagined to be, even down to the personality. Pretty entertaining episode.

Apr 20, 7:28 AM

Mar 2020
The live on twitter just ended.

Another great episode!!!! HAHAHA i really jaw dropped wHen Kafka-kun peed with his nipples! hahahah

We got to see Kikoru-chan anime. That parking car scene was as funny in the manga too. 😂

It's nice that I'm watching the live & managing to read the subs simultaneously. My eyes are in sharingan mode. 🤣

The ED visuals is nice, fun and creative too.
Also this song is on repeat already for a week on my Spotify. ❤️

The OP visuals. (I'm not fan of 3DCGI) but yeah it's still nice. (Yeah the start was nice but the 3D monsters on the chorus was yeah it's okay 😅)
The song was already released weeks ago on Spotify and it's cool.

Next week again!
Zorosuke_Apr 20, 9:54 AM
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Apr 20, 7:31 AM

Mar 2023
Finished watching it live. Interesting format with live streamed anime. Jokes weren't really my taste, but the rest of pretty good. Production I.G. is animating this well.
Apr 20, 7:32 AM
Jul 2023
That OP and the amount of CGI that went into it was baffling, but holy shit it's amazing. It's like one of those scenes in movies where it looks more real than real life itself. Absolutely well done. Another thing I enjoyed was Kafka just trying to be like "hey I'm not evil!" *insert evil face* lol

can't wait for ep 3, especially with kikoru now
Apr 20, 7:35 AM

Jul 2017
Watched it on X for the first time and it felt weird seeing an anime live from there but it kind of worked. Some ads are there but I can live with those when it is livestreamed earlier with subtitles featured, not too bad of an experience as a whole. I expected a lot worse.

Regarding the opening, the song is very mediocre for me but I do dig the visuals. I know they are fully in CG but there are openings that have done full CG visuals like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex's first one and I absolutely loved that one. Kaiju No. 8's opening looks good for its approach with a lot of detail there without just being lazy. Just wish the song wasn't as boring, mediocre and generic as it was. I had the same issue with OneRepublic's song that I heard last week. I like them using English songs from artists abroad for openings/endings for a more unique, cool factor to the series but better songs can be used for sure there.

Episode itself was really generic and nothing home to write about. It had a nice moment with Kaiju Kafka saving the little girl, but the humor sucked and was there too much and don't really care much for Kikoru's introduction here. Still not a huge fan of the actual character designs here either, just doesn't look that good.
Apr 20, 7:35 AM

Jun 2014
Checked out the Twitter livestream and was pleasantly surprised that it had subtitles lol.

We got a glimpse of how strong Kafka is in his Kaiju form and damn he took out that fodder Kaiju without any issues. I imagine this will change in the future when stronger Kaiju show up but for now he's crazy OP.

Exam time, this is where, according to Kafka himself, he always fucks up but it's probably safe to assume things will be different this time. New character appearance at the end and she's got quite the attitude.

OP song was ok, I definitely like it more than the ED as I've never really cared for OneRepublic like that. A metal or hard rock song for the OP would have absolutely slapped though, this series just has that vibe to it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 20, 7:42 AM

Nov 2010
  • Why is the OP live-action movie style?
  • The spider-like monster also appeared in the OP.
  • Anyway, the OP song is catchy and I like it.
Apr 20, 7:49 AM

Feb 2021
Btw I've seen Japanese viewers say stuff like "If they make a season 2, it should be anime-original" "The one time where going anime-original would be welcome". Does it get bad or smth?

Wow, the broadcast on Twitter even has English subs, nice.
This OP is frickin beautiful wtf
Oh damn, it's been three months already?
Amazing episode. I'm much more excited about this now. Didn't expect so much comedy, but I don't mind lol.
EmbientApr 20, 7:56 AM
Apr 20, 8:04 AM
Oct 2022
couldnt make it through the episode
this shit was so annoying
Apr 20, 8:13 AM
Sep 2015
Disappointed that Kafka in Kaiju form doesn't have a penis, it'd be much more fun if you know what I mean.... at least the best thing he can do is transforming every part except that part.

Brightness limitation again, but it's Japanese law to protect children's eyes so there's nothing can be done about this.

But in every other aspects, I consider this episode perfect, and yeah, the new blockbuster anime franchise is born.
Apr 20, 8:13 AM

Jan 2008
OP was pretty good. Visuals were a bit weird but not in a bad way. The new visuals to the ED was also nice.

Very exciting show so far. Curious to see how his kaiju ability translates into his human form. Would have been cool if he stopped the girl before she threw his van or something.
Apr 20, 8:14 AM
Aug 2020
The comedy is off to me, but I found the episode interesting at least.
Apr 20, 8:15 AM

Nov 2016
Visually the opening reminds me so much of Inuyashiki.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 20, 8:15 AM
Sep 2021
Two episodes are out and I still can't get into this anime, it sure looks good, but I'm not a fan of the OP/ED, the story don't interest me much and I'm kinda disappointed as the "hype" surrounding this show seems kinda exaggerated. I'll leave it one more episode to convince me, else I'll probably drop it.
Apr 20, 8:36 AM

Jun 2021
Ok episode but not a fan of the comedy here. I'm not against the comedy but with some less comedy scenes I think the series would be much more enjoyable.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Apr 20, 8:37 AM
Nov 2016
Too much comedy, "waifu" character with douchebag personality, no stakes, no characterization. So this is just a lame 2000s shounen in a new shiny paint.
Apr 20, 8:38 AM

Sep 2023
I liked this episode, but I think I've aged out of the humor that most anime employs. It was a little easier to deal with when reading the manga, but here in the anime it's definitely more annoying. I still really enjoy the story and my favorite character, Kikoru, has finally made her appearance. Excited for the next episode!
Apr 20, 8:42 AM

Oct 2017
Kaguya's relative from abroad is here, Kikoru Shinomiya. Btw I so love the Kaiju 8 animations, looks so freaking cool.
MegamiRemMay 1, 12:56 PM
Apr 20, 8:45 AM
Oct 2016
Being able to turn into a Kaiju would be pretty awesome. Having those beyond human abilities when there's literal giant monsters to fight definitely helps. The defense force was decently slow to get there when that second bug eyed Kaiju appeared. If not for Kafka then the destruction would've been beyond intense. His new strength in being a Kaiju is immense, those jokes were about the only ones I found good in this episode. Most of the comedy fell flat or was just lame. Lots of it just didn't land for me. I'm glad that Kafka has someone like Reno with him for support. Reno has given Kafka a new lease on life, along with Kafka gaining these newly acquired Kaiju powers. Now to see if he will ace the second portion of this exam.
Apr 20, 8:47 AM
Oct 2020
Who is the girl/professor(?) at the ED credit?
Apr 20, 8:49 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Finally we get some Kaiju on Kaiju action as Kafka saved a little girl and her mother from being eaten by a Kaiju in his transformed state after escaping the hospital. The Defense Force labeled Kafka as Kaiju #8 after failing to capture him fro three months. Meanwhile Kafka and Reno have passed the written portion of the Defense Force examination, but the second portion is were Kafka always flunk out. Before entering the base for the second round of testing, they run into a blonde rich girl named Kikoru Shinomiya who just pushed Kafka's vehicle with her power suit like it was trash because she wanted a particular spot. What a brat.

I like the visuals for the OP and ED. I'm pretty sure we are going to find out the scientist who is researching the Kaiju in the ED.
Apr 20, 8:59 AM

Aug 2013
Is the transforming thing natural to him? Kinda missing some info and/or set-up regarding his powers.

Hope this Shinomiya gets deaded or some shit; intolerable.

Watch my flaunt my ego with the wallets of my parents that got me this suit.
Apr 20, 9:01 AM

Dec 2023
This show has definitely piqued my interest.

We have a rich tsundere girl whose last name is Shinomiya? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Apr 20, 9:01 AM

Feb 2012
Opening animation to accompany Yungblud revealed. The use of 3DCG reminds me of I.G.'s earlier work Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. So we'll be seeing that shot of Kafka standing beside Mina for the rest of the series.
Yes, they didn't chicken out of adapting the nipple-pissing panel! kek. Kafka's special mode tongue being darker in the anime makes it more xenomorphic.
I wish the first punch Kafka threw at the other kaiju was zoomed in more like in the spread but overall top-tier fight animation. Love seeing that kaiju blood and gut splatter and rain.
We got the early cameos of some of the other cadets.
It's Kikoru's debut. Don't let appearances deceive you.
The ED animation is from Konomi's Mac lol cool how the colour pages are being referenced in it.
Fortress_MaximusApr 20, 2:18 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 20, 9:03 AM
Feb 2021
It is filled with action and comedy.
Apr 20, 9:08 AM
Sep 2021
Seeing Kaiju No 8 animated was awesome, kafka will now take his last shot in taking up the defense force exam. Excited for all the battles coming up next.
Apr 20, 9:08 AM

Nov 2020
Well, I wrecked your car for no reason but we'll be best friends in a few episodes anyway xD The animation, soundtrack and direction save this anime from being mediocre, although apart from the action the animation isn't that good. It's a pity that the op is CGI shit xD
4/5
Apr 20, 9:16 AM
Dec 2021
I ended up really liking this series <3 it would be great to have 2 episodes per day
Apr 20, 9:18 AM

Jan 2024
Okay, that typical douchebag girl with super strong powers was absolutely unnecessary lol. Still a fine episode.
Apr 20, 9:20 AM
Jul 2023
Ah, loving the comedic energy so far

For some reason It hit me hard when the little girl said “dont kill the good kaiju”.
Apr 20, 9:20 AM
Jan 2009
This isn't great as a serious/military anime, but I'm enjoying the comedy. Really needs comedy added as a tag. Ignoring the military/logical details and taken in the context of being a goofball anime, it's pretty good.
Apr 20, 9:22 AM
May 2021
Opening visuals r nice still wasn’t expecting it!! Kikoru has arrived!!
Apr 20, 9:23 AM
May 2022
Wow, unusual visual opening for me, the song is also good, also performed by a western singer.
Then a pretty solid episode, although not satisfied. Well naturally it's still episode 2. (when watching it feels like it only runs 5 minutes, hahaha......) oh, the joke for me feels in.
In the future, I can't wait to see what kind of situation they will face, especially the mc.
for the closing song performed by one republic, it's also good to be the closing song of this anime.

Apr 20, 9:37 AM
Oct 2023
opening sick, i was hyped, gg
Apr 20, 9:55 AM
Apr 2021
I liked the fact that the anime adopted every single panel of the manga. They stayed true to the original word and i loved it. Even the comedy was accurate.
Finally receiving something good fantasy other than isekai.
Apr 20, 10:00 AM
Oct 2019
I don't want to offend anyone, but for the love of God, director, go take a course on how to direct, you don't have any sensation in the episode, the scene that brought the most people to the manga you didn't take advantage of properly, you don't know how to make a climax, you didn't want to let it go. the two episodes together, oh my god, see
Apr 20, 10:06 AM
Oct 2022
what a great episode, like 8 to 10 in 1 episode
Apr 20, 10:08 AM

Jun 2019
I've been enjoying the heck out of this. I love all the comedy bits and all the characters are nice and sweet. Kafka is such a nice guy and Ichikawa is a great partner as well. The Kaiju powers are awesome. The OST in the show is amazing. The OP and ED are amazing.
Apr 20, 10:14 AM
Oct 2021
i love the opening song omg
Apr 20, 10:27 AM
Apr 2024
The story progression is good. Had many similarities with Attack on Titan. Like mc anguishes for not being strong and ultimately getting the power of the one that he wishes to annihilate. Had a scene with a child whining beside her trapped mother and trying to rescue her, luckily the mc was there to save the day. Still the story is unique in its own ways as well.
I liked the intro song more than the outro.
Carmaker8820Apr 20, 10:32 AM
Apr 20, 10:41 AM
Jan 2022
well hope we're not supposed to like that girl at the end cause that was just rude. that's a company vehicle, you know how much paperwork that's gonna be?!
Apr 20, 10:47 AM

Jan 2023
It was epic, every bit of it was fire. They freaking nailed the intro and outro with Youngblud and One Republic. I was worried about that they will mess the groin and legs of Kafka's kaiju form but they did it. And the part at 13:50 which isn't in manga is sure was good thing to add in anime. Shinomiya and te gang is also here I'm going crazy gorvtge next episode to release.
Apr 20, 10:51 AM
Nov 2023
Hmm...
Apr 20, 10:54 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well definitely an interesting opening visual, like a b-movie, song doing alright tho, while ed for sure the better one. Its One Republic after all...

In the mean time, Kafka manage to escape the scene while trying to maintain his new kaijuu form. Peeing like that seems weird but since its kaijuu i can take that. Really not expecting this heavily comedy-packed episode, and idk why i really like this Kafka bro funny personality xd.

Bro one punch that spider kaijuu, need an extra effort but yeah he's strong. Now tryna figure out how bro infiltrate the anti-kaijuu army with those hidden identity. But still interested to know more about how he's being chosen. Perhaps its related to the person on the ending?

Either way this is getting interesting with all those new characters appearance. Yeah little girl, learn some respect, Kafka isn't old man. He's a bro. Looking forward to see more....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 20, 10:58 AM

May 2015
Lol power suit! Crysis is real!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 20, 10:58 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Got the OP in this one, it’s interesting they went with western artists for both although I don’t know Yungblud like I do OneRepublic, I liked the song tho along with those visuals, they’re definitely unique for an anime OP and the use of CGI did not bother me one bit as it looked really cool. And we got the visuals to go with OneRepublic’s ED, they’re very nice and match the vibe of the song, I can’t believe I’m saying this but it might be one of my favorite EDs of the season lol. And this was quite the eventful episode, we got to see Kafka in his kaiju form doing some crazy shit, and they went for a more of a comedy direction there for the most part which I thought was pretty funny even if it clashed a bit with the little girl and her mom scene, nipple pissing is new one for sure lol.

And thankfully Kafka managed to leave a good impression on someone, being that little girl he saved after he failed to come off friendly initially, I guess the skeleton face will do that lol, and with Kafka being able to revert back to his human form he was able to escape being killed by the defense force, although I can’t tell to what extent he can control going back and forth as we saw later when he passed the first test, I’m sure there will be more comedy to be had with the random transformations lol. And this was where we got introduced to Kikoru who appeared to be nothing more than a spoiled rich girl at first, but it was revealed she’s actually a spoiled rich girl with a super suit lol, not sure if that’s cheating or not but guess we’ll find out.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ricky16 - May 4

195 by tinykoo7 »»
59 minutes ago

Poll: » Lowkey who else thinks this anime is hilarious as F?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 14

42 by 245678 »»
1 hour ago

» So we agree that Kafka's "8" form is sexy, right?

VanVeleca - Yesterday

46 by ravingLimey »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

otakuweek - May 11

137 by Yukthaajois »»
7 hours ago

» I don't think some understand Kafka as a character.

MasterHavik - May 12

38 by Icceman »»
Yesterday, 12:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.