Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 16, 6:11 AM

May 2018
So, you want to watch it voiced by unprofessional, expressionless or overly goofy English "actors" only because the setting of an anime is not Japanese?
GENIUS.

Apr 16, 8:01 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to KittenCuddler
The beard on their necks have grown too strong for their puny brains to contain.

KittenCuddler said:
They have an unhealthy fetishization of Japan, likely because they think Japan is exactly how it is presented in anime. This results in them viewing Japanese people as superior to others in every way imaginable. When this is combo'd with uber far-right grifters spreading (obvious) lies about """The West""" falling apart because of """woke""" it becomes easy for them to brush off dubs as trash even though the Japanese producers frequently state that they really enjoy the dub, and in some cases call the dub the superior version themselves.

They say, that the more thorough the insult, the greater the butthurt and insecurity.

Apr 16, 8:28 AM
Oct 2014
You talk about sub watchers or weebs ?

Because we - sub watchers - watch stuff only in original language. Tv show "Dark" ? In german only, english is a nope. Anything from USA ? In english. Anime ? In japanese. Donghua ? In mandarin. Aeni ? In korean. And so on.

Weebs on the other hand are illogical and sick people who will claim stuff like "japanese language is superior" and other weird things. And im 90% sure the people you are looking for are WEEBS, not "sub only users". Because yes, weebs has tendency to become angry over nothing important. And someone mentioned "woke" stuff - being anti-woke has nothing to do with that (it only shows that even despite they are weebs they still have very small % of brain - unlike people who are woke).
Apr 16, 8:39 AM

Mar 2021
Yorda_trico said:
What is with these users who go around dub posts and get angry at people for talking about dubs?

It's an internet forum and people generally like to bitch and whine about stuff no matter how petty it might be.

Ironically most of these same Users who bitch and whine about dubs mostly rely on subs to consume Anime not even realizing they are in inherently relying on Anime that is literally being altered just so they can freaken understand what the hell the characters are even saying to begin with.

Dub vs Subs is a fallacy where most Users wouldn't even know any better if some Fansubber change the dialog of an Anime completely just to troll unless someone who understands Japanese actually points it out to them.

It's even more ironic knowing a vast Majority of these Users, specifically on a platform like MAL, with such petty grievances are most likely consuming Anime they have illegally pirated anyways. Bitching and whining about stuff they are literally not even paying for in the 1st place. It's like someone getting a delicious gourmet meal without paying for it then bitching and whining about not only the service but feeling also they are entitled to get a free desert and a free blowjob after their meal too.

ColourWheelApr 16, 8:51 AM
Apr 16, 9:12 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to ColourWheel
Yorda_trico said:
What is with these users who go around dub posts and get angry at people for talking about dubs?

It's an internet forum and people generally like to bitch and whine about stuff no matter how petty it might be.

Ironically most of these same Users who bitch and whine about dubs mostly rely on subs to consume Anime not even realizing they are in inherently relying on Anime that is literally being altered just so they can freaken understand what the hell the characters are even saying to begin with.

Dub vs Subs is a fallacy where most Users wouldn't even know any better if some Fansubber change the dialog of an Anime completely just to troll unless someone who understands Japanese actually points it out to them.

It's even more ironic knowing a vast Majority of these Users, specifically on a platform like MAL, with such petty grievances are most likely consuming Anime they have illegally pirated anyways. Bitching and whining about stuff they are literally not even paying for in the 1st place. It's like someone getting a delicious gourmet meal without paying for it then bitching and whining about not only the service but feeling also they are entitled to get a free desert and a free blowjob after their meal too.

ColourWheel said:
It's like someone getting a delicious gourmet meal without paying for it then bitching and whining about not only the service but feeling also they are entitled to get a free desert and a free blowjob after their meal too.

As someone who feels slightly addressed, this made me laugh too damn hard.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 16, 9:51 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
ColourWheel said:
It's like someone getting a delicious gourmet meal without paying for it then bitching and whining about not only the service but feeling also they are entitled to get a free desert and a free blowjob after their meal too.

Zarutaku said:

I am glad I was able to make someone laugh today. :)
Apr 16, 10:13 AM

Aug 2017
You provoked him when you said the English VA are the """original""" voice, I'll react the same if u say that to me. This is incorrect. The original voice are the Japanese ones. Every dubbed version give you a wrong vision of the show but please don't try to say "English is my native language so we must watch it dubbed", many people don't have English as native language and we're forced to learn your language to understand the sub since most of them are in English and even so a lot of people with English as their native language watch subbed. Also, it doesn't matter if the show "isn't extremely Eastern", "it's western-inspired", some cringe western cartoons are obviously Eastern-inspired and no Japanese people are demanding it to be dubbed into their language, only a few vocal English-speaking users are demanding foreign shows to be dubbed, the rest of the world watch Anime as it must be.....subbed. Dub is obviously not a proper way to watch any Anime series besides the reasons Piromysl said in his comment (which its currently the MAIN reason I despise dub, English dub actors don't take their jobs seriously). One user of your examples makes valid points too, if you want to hear English, you should watch Western cartoons which they are plently made by and for Americans instead of trying to force Anime to your needs. Japanese people made Anime for themselves, not for foreigns. If foreigns want to understand Anime, they have two options: learn Japanese or watching it subbed. You also learn Japanese being subbed which its objectively positive and educational. It's called being respectful to them. Dub has no advantages, only disadvantages, it's disrespectful and greatly damages the Anime industry as always.
NurguburuApr 16, 10:20 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 16, 10:16 AM

Oct 2018
Yorda_trico said:

It's because they've based their entire personality around watching anime and this is the only way that they can feel good about themselves.
Apr 16, 11:18 AM

Oct 2017
Even if a dub is less "authentic" per se, I have seen instances where dubs have much better localizations than the subtitle tracks. A great example would be how Dr. Stone's dub more accurately recreates each character's unique speech patterns and catchphrases while the official subtitles don't translate these things consistently or more "normalize" their speech patterns. I feel like people focus too much on the audio being authentic vs the actual spirit of the work being authentically captured as there are plenty of other instances of subtitle tracks miss out on some things that the dub translates over better. Sometimes a more literal translation of just what is being said doesn't convey the same meaning or loses out on minor nuances like that. No matter what even if you are watching with subtitles, there will inevitably be some level of inauthenticity if you are completely unable to understand Japanese since you will be either hearing spoken English or reading English words in time with the Japanese audio, and it's physically impossible to translate every minor little thing from one language to another, something inevitably will get lost in translation especially when the cultural context is so vastly different.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 16, 11:20 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Dracowyn
I never watch dubs cause I prefer the original audio. Heck, I even put English subs on stuff that's already in English cause half of the actors can't articulate.

But those that go out of their way to go to the dub section to go troll have too much free time. If people wanna watch dubs, let them.
Dracowyn said:
I never watch dubs cause I prefer the original audio. Heck, I even put English subs on stuff that's already in English cause half of the actors can't articulate.

Most of the time that's a result of the audio mix as a lot of Western films are mixed for the cinema rather than the TV screen, and modern Televisions don't really have very high-quality speakers since they have to accommodate for the thin body of modern flatscreen displays.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 16, 11:25 AM

Mar 2021
The main reason is that Japanese voice acting is typically recorded at a higher production value than English voice acting. Still, I agree that if the anime makes better sense in English, it should be watched that way.

Apr 16, 11:25 AM

Nov 2011
on another note, i t would be interesting to see an arabic dub of yugioh, especially season 0 (the badass season) and the Battle City arc.
Arabic would sound better than English, especially when Marik summoned his Egyptian god card.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 16, 12:15 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to Leer
Yorda_trico said:

It's because they've based their entire personality around watching anime and this is the only way that they can feel good about themselves.
@Leer Nothing wrong with that. Subs watchers don't have reading skills issues and can enjoy foreign contents without altering them. How not to feel good about that?
Apr 16, 4:47 PM

Feb 2023
@Yorda_trico Just ignore those chumps like I do. They are not going to change their tune anytime soon.
Apr 16, 4:55 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Nurguburu
You provoked him when you said the English VA are the """original""" voice, I'll react the same if u say that to me. This is incorrect. The original voice are the Japanese ones. Every dubbed version give you a wrong vision of the show but please don't try to say "English is my native language so we must watch it dubbed", many people don't have English as native language and we're forced to learn your language to understand the sub since most of them are in English and even so a lot of people with English as their native language watch subbed. Also, it doesn't matter if the show "isn't extremely Eastern", "it's western-inspired", some cringe western cartoons are obviously Eastern-inspired and no Japanese people are demanding it to be dubbed into their language, only a few vocal English-speaking users are demanding foreign shows to be dubbed, the rest of the world watch Anime as it must be.....subbed. Dub is obviously not a proper way to watch any Anime series besides the reasons Piromysl said in his comment (which its currently the MAIN reason I despise dub, English dub actors don't take their jobs seriously). One user of your examples makes valid points too, if you want to hear English, you should watch Western cartoons which they are plently made by and for Americans instead of trying to force Anime to your needs. Japanese people made Anime for themselves, not for foreigns. If foreigns want to understand Anime, they have two options: learn Japanese or watching it subbed. You also learn Japanese being subbed which its objectively positive and educational. It's called being respectful to them. Dub has no advantages, only disadvantages, it's disrespectful and greatly damages the Anime industry as always.
@Nurguburu I'm not reading that garbage past the first fucking sentence, but the "original" in quotes is pointing out that it is not literally the original, and can therefore easily be deduced to means it's the original voice of the character for the person who watched it. Learn what fucking context is if you're going to sit here and write a giant, ill formatted paragraph.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 16, 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
@Leer Nothing wrong with that. Subs watchers don't have reading skills issues and can enjoy foreign contents without altering them. How not to feel good about that?
@KryzakamiHrybami Maybe you're right, I took a shit today and didn't miss the bowl, felt pretty good.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 16, 5:01 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Elitar
You talk about sub watchers or weebs ?

Because we - sub watchers - watch stuff only in original language. Tv show "Dark" ? In german only, english is a nope. Anything from USA ? In english. Anime ? In japanese. Donghua ? In mandarin. Aeni ? In korean. And so on.

Weebs on the other hand are illogical and sick people who will claim stuff like "japanese language is superior" and other weird things. And im 90% sure the people you are looking for are WEEBS, not "sub only users". Because yes, weebs has tendency to become angry over nothing important. And someone mentioned "woke" stuff - being anti-woke has nothing to do with that (it only shows that even despite they are weebs they still have very small % of brain - unlike people who are woke).
@Elitar I would always pick a JP dub for donghua if it's available, because it feels much more natural, but it's not a "superiority" thing.
Apr 16, 5:15 PM

Mar 2016
I'm not sure why this happens with anime because other peoples experiences doesn't really affect me in any way and there is no reason to complain about how they watch. I only watch in Japanese and never mind to the dub, but if people enjoy it good for them.

The only real exception I have is with games because if an English dub exists in a game instead of just Japanese, then the dub subtitles are used in place of original subtitles for the Japanese which is annoying so I would prefer there not be a dub at all. This issue doesn't really exist in anime at the moment (unless some service uses dubtitles that I don't know about) so for now it is a non issue.
Apr 16, 5:44 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to LostSpectre
@KryzakamiHrybami Maybe you're right, I took a shit today and didn't miss the bowl, felt pretty good.
@LostSpectre ... as opposed to people who shit directly on the floor?
Apr 16, 6:22 PM

Oct 2013
I've gone on record saying while I exclusively watch subs, I'm not against dubs and will in fact choose English the majority of the time with Japanese games. My problem lies with casting choices, not the act of dubbing itself. Fullmetal Alchemist, great casting (imo). Dragon Ball, great casting (imo). Persona series, mostly great casting (imo). But then I'll see something like the dubbed version of Spy x Family, aaaand...Theoretically a dub should work fine with these non Japanese characters, but they missed the mark (imo). I almost want to apologize for thinking Anya's original voice was too annoying, because at least it fits better. But again, that doesn't mean dubs are all bad.

And on the topic of casting, hate on dubs all you want, it's your energy to waste, but can we not act like the Japanese VAs are always amazing. I know it's personal preference or whatever, but everyone has to have at least one Japanese voice that didn't work for you. One character where you thought another actor could have done better. Don't lie.
Apr 16, 7:21 PM

Mar 2022
Weird people exist everywhere man, just ignore them.
Dub can be questionable, like evangelion's changing "i love you" to "i like you"
Jjk's "blessing (megumi) being changed to "curse" in toji vs geto
Which just changes the entire context, but again, dub can be amazing as well, like FMAB's dub, in fact, feels better than the sub to me.

Ig it's more "safe" to watch thr sub but it doesnt make every dub trash lol.
Apr 16, 9:12 PM

Nov 2013
Its just baiting dude. The actual mature anime audience outgrew this and dont give a fuck.
Apr 16, 9:27 PM

Aug 2018
None of those examples you sited seemed especially angry to me. try not to take what I am about to say as a personal insult but...

dub sucks. It ruins characters. English voice actors don't give a damn about anime and it shows in their lifeless performances.
Apr 16, 10:23 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to LostSpectre
Making an argument over authenticity is absolutely pointless. Anime is more authentic in Japanese, because it's a Japanese cultural product, regardless of the setting the series takes place in. None of this should have anything to do with dubs, because it doesn't matter at all that a dub is less authentically Japanese, and it's absolutely psychotic to care about whether someone prefers to hear a show in their native language or not. Plus, anime is practically the only medium you can get away with, because it's unrealistic, it's obviously really fake when it comes to live action.

HARD disagreement on that Aria dub being remotely in the same ballpark as the others, but that's neither here not there.
@LostSpectre Yeah, subs v dubs should really be as simple as watch it whichever way you'd prefer. It's beyond ludicrous to me how some people just have to make sure everyone "knows" subs are the only "real" way to watch anime.

KittenCuddler said:
KittenCuddler said:
They have an unhealthy fetishization of Japan, likely because they think Japan is exactly how it is presented in anime. This results in them viewing Japanese people as superior to others in every way imaginable. When this is combo'd with uber far-right grifters spreading (obvious) lies about """The West""" falling apart because of """woke""" it becomes easy for them to brush off dubs as trash even though the Japanese producers frequently state that they really enjoy the dub, and in some cases call the dub the superior version themselves.

@Piromysl Where is the insult in any of that which you quoted?^ Looks like I just listed out a few facts to explain why people dismiss dubs. If you're struggling to tell the difference between a fact and an insult, then maybe you need to perform a real self-assessment to figure out why.
Apr 16, 10:37 PM

Jul 2015
KittenCuddler said:
@LostSpectre Yeah, subs v dubs should really be as simple as watch it whichever way you'd prefer. It's beyond ludicrous to me how some people just have to make sure everyone "knows" subs are the only "real" way to watch anime.

KittenCuddler said:
KittenCuddler said:

@Piromysl Where is the insult in any of that which you quoted?^ Looks like I just listed out a few facts to explain why people dismiss dubs. If you're struggling to tell the difference between a fact and an insult, then maybe you need to perform a real self-assessment to figure out why.

First of all, you should learn the difference between objective and subjective.
Second, your blatant strawman of why people dislike dubs and imagined "far right" boogeyman is nothing more than a product of your projection, (because it is so damn obvious that you are so far on the left, that absolutely everything they makes you upset is "far right") and shoehorning politics in everything you say and do.

Apr 16, 10:48 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to epidemia78
None of those examples you sited seemed especially angry to me. try not to take what I am about to say as a personal insult but...

dub sucks. It ruins characters. English voice actors don't give a damn about anime and it shows in their lifeless performances.
@epidemia78 I'm pretty sure most of them aren't paid enough to care in the first place. Not exactly enough pull in the voice acting industry to hold out for more money, like Bender from Futurama did. That's just my guess though. I just can't imagine there's that much cash in the anime dubbing scene.
Apr 16, 11:32 PM

Aug 2020
Iirc this is my first time ever joining the sub vs dub discussion. Anyway, it's all up to preferences. Dub/sub, you like what you like and as long as you don't force people to prefer one and discard the other, everything's fine.

However the "Western setting = Western languages" argument is very weak bcoz what's more important than the locations is the authenticity of the intended characterization. Not only do the japanese perform better voiceacting in the vast majority of cases but they're also more legit considering they're tackling works that are made by one of their own plus having direct contact with them creators compared to the english dubbers. Also, i'm not sure if someone's brought this up before, but dubs tend to change the bgm as well especially if the original ones sounded better. It downgrades the watching experience.
Apr 16, 11:42 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to FanofAction
@epidemia78 I'm pretty sure most of them aren't paid enough to care in the first place. Not exactly enough pull in the voice acting industry to hold out for more money, like Bender from Futurama did. That's just my guess though. I just can't imagine there's that much cash in the anime dubbing scene.
@FanofAction

I'm sure you're right. It might be uncharitable of me, but I think most dub actors are just wannabe hollywood actors who would throw all of us weebs under the bus at the drop of a hat.
Apr 16, 11:58 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to epidemia78
@FanofAction

I'm sure you're right. It might be uncharitable of me, but I think most dub actors are just wannabe hollywood actors who would throw all of us weebs under the bus at the drop of a hat.
@epidemia78 "wannabe hollywood actors" is probably accurate for a good chunk of them. Good luck trying to break into any movie voice acting roles though, since all of those are going to bigger celebrities instead of actual voice actors.
Apr 17, 12:16 AM

Nov 2019
Some dub and sub watchers care way too much about other peoples' interests or preferences that have no impact on them. Just watch your cartoonimeeshons however you want.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Apr 17, 4:19 AM

Jan 2017
Implying sub is that much better. If you want to be elitist just go all the way and learn Japanese.

Otherwise, if you want to listen to low-effort work of subpar VAs instead of the original, then so be it, do whatever you enjoy. Personally, I get distracted when an anime girl sounds like a middle-aged, chain-smoker, obese woman because the VA isn't even trying. But the fact that I'd rather rupture my own eardrum with a nail shouldn't discourage you.
KenrinApr 17, 4:25 AM
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 17, 4:27 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I don't care if you watch anime in sub or dub but I've always been on the mind that if you watch anime in dub, you might as well watch cartoon. What are you even doing here?
For me, English dub turns anime into cartoon like series which I don't care for. But hey, that's just me. Watch however you like, I'm not getting angry over it.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Apr 17, 4:44 AM

Aug 2012
Reply to LostSpectre
@duchessliz87 I've literally never seen an unprovoked dub user trash someone for watching subs, since you know, that's the default.
@LostSpectre I've seen it happen plenty of times. There was this one dub watcher a couple months back who even posted a thread of 'Why dub is better than sub' or something along those lines and then repeatedly trashed sub watchers. So yes, I've seen it happen and that wasn't the only time. Still don't get why other people care about how someone watches anime. It doesn't affect them so why make such a big deal about it? Just watch how you want to be it sub or dub. I don't get why people make a big stink over it.
duchessliz87Apr 17, 4:49 AM
Apr 17, 7:37 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to duchessliz87
@LostSpectre I've seen it happen plenty of times. There was this one dub watcher a couple months back who even posted a thread of 'Why dub is better than sub' or something along those lines and then repeatedly trashed sub watchers. So yes, I've seen it happen and that wasn't the only time. Still don't get why other people care about how someone watches anime. It doesn't affect them so why make such a big deal about it? Just watch how you want to be it sub or dub. I don't get why people make a big stink over it.
@duchessliz87 Dub's existence affects sub watchers.
- When there's a dub, script is often overlocalized.
- Official subtitles are made to suit the dub.
- As a result, subtitles don't align with the original audio.
Apr 17, 7:58 AM

May 2015
Reply to Shizuna
@Shizuna 100% This is unfortunately a huge issue with a lot of shows that HiDive holds the rights to. Was rewatching the K-On movie the other day and the entire Azunyan running joke was omitted, because they took the subs from the dub. Just one more in a long list of why I hate dubs. Thankfully my Japanese is getting close to the point where I hardly rely on subs as well
Apr 17, 8:04 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to KittenCuddler
The beard on their necks have grown too strong for their puny brains to contain.

@KittenCuddler borderline insane levels of strawmanning, the sub vs dub debate predates the political discourse you cited by decades and not only exists in the USA but all over the world. I read similar discussions in small Eastern European anime forums 15 years ago. Get out of your bubble, this is unhealthy.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 17, 8:21 AM
May 2018
Why do you care? just ignore them and move on.
Apr 17, 9:41 AM

Jul 2015
Shizuna said:

That overlocalisation thing is exactly what happened with Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu, when Seven Seas as they usually do had to shoehorn their unfiltered political propaganda and somehow made teenage edgelord going through a phase, who is more similar to 4chan dweller have use a misandrist term literally only western feminists are using unironcally, effectively trying to rewrite a character. HiDive copypasted this mistranslation into the anime sub not knowing it's inaccurate, but after the backlash they actually retracted that. This stuff does indeed happen.
PiromyslApr 17, 12:01 PM

Apr 17, 10:09 AM

Aug 2013
People just need to to stop lying to themselves and act like original Japanese voiceover in video games and anime is the same as English dub in terms of quality. English dub in 99% of cases sounds awful like it's not even professionals but some amateurs from a street which try hard to mimic a child manner of speech or in opposite just speak as always with zero acting. I am not native English speaker (obviously) and watched some anime with amateur dub of my own language and even these amateurs were better than English 'professionals' which sound like Nickelodeon characters at best no matter who do they voice over. So it's not just about Japanese voice acting which is professional by a default due some obvious reasons, it's more about how awful others in doing their voice acting job.
Apr 17, 11:46 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to Piromysl
Shizuna said:

That overlocalisation thing is exactly what happened with Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu, when Seven Seas as they usually do had to shoehorn their unfiltered political propaganda and somehow made teenage edgelord going through a phase, who is more similar to 4chan dweller have use a misandrist term literally only western feminists are using unironcally, effectively trying to rewrite a character. HiDive copypasted this mistranslation into the anime sub not knowing it's inaccurate, but after the backlash they actually retracted that. This stuff does indeed happen.
@Piromysl I'm familiar with that one. The worst part of it is that it only came to light because it was so obvious and in such a popular anime, there are countless other cases of bastardization which is left unchecked.
Apr 17, 12:10 PM
Dec 2023
this thread really got away from me, and overall I was delighted to see that so many people are not toxic like the ones the post was triggered by, and I apologise to any of the reasonable people who replied on this post and ended up getting dragged into a negative discussion, in hindsight I probably shouldn't have made it, but at least it was so nice to see that these angry dub haters are absolutely the minority and so many people on this thread completely nullified any argument they had. At this point I hope this post can just get buried so none of us have to read any more negativity, so I won't comment on it again, but my takeaways from this post are:

• MAL is mostly full of really nice people who either watch both dub and sub, or they watch sub only but have no problem with anyone watching dub

• MAL has a very small minority of toxic sub only elitists who get angry at people talking about dub because they don't understand that quality is a subjective thing and their opinions are not fact, hopefully one day they can look "opinion" and "subjective" up in the dictionary

• as some users said the all dubs are crap argument becomes unbelievably weak when we consider how bad quality some sub translations can be

I am sure the toxic people will continue to rage on in this post but I encourage anyone else to not make the mistake I did and don't engage with them anymore. I will just be ignoring them from now on as I continue to discuss dubbed anime on this platform :)

I am off to rewatch the new Spice and Wolf dub for the 5th time since it aired 2 days ago, Brina and J.Michael are so amazing <3

Thanks all!
Yorda_tricoApr 17, 12:18 PM
Apr 17, 6:21 PM

Oct 2022
Subs tend to have better voice acting then dubs but yeah people who obsessively hate on dubs or harass people for watching dubs is sad to see. I get there are a lot of anime with purposefully inaccurate lines and that can be annoying especially when done for political purposes but saying that all dubs are bad or that it's not an authentic way to watch an anime is dumb, especially since subs can and do get changed too. Besides although it's few in number there are some anime that have very good dubs, sometimes even rivaling or surpassing the original subs like Kaguya-sama: Love is War. That anime is also a good example of an anime that does add/change dialog but does it in a way that not only makes sense in the context of the story (for the most part) but it actually adds to the comedy and enjoyment of the series. Insert Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid example for how to not do it here.

Piromysl said:
Second, your blatant strawman of why people dislike dubs and imagined "far right" boogeyman is nothing more than a product of your projection, (because it is so damn obvious that you are so far on the left, that absolutely everything they makes you upset is "far right") and shoehorning politics in everything you say and do.
@Piromysl It's so weird seeing people act and say the same exact things I would say only a few years ago.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Apr 17, 6:54 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Lawgun
People just need to to stop lying to themselves and act like original Japanese voiceover in video games and anime is the same as English dub in terms of quality. English dub in 99% of cases sounds awful like it's not even professionals but some amateurs from a street which try hard to mimic a child manner of speech or in opposite just speak as always with zero acting. I am not native English speaker (obviously) and watched some anime with amateur dub of my own language and even these amateurs were better than English 'professionals' which sound like Nickelodeon characters at best no matter who do they voice over. So it's not just about Japanese voice acting which is professional by a default due some obvious reasons, it's more about how awful others in doing their voice acting job.
@Lawgun Kinda what I've been saying. They need better actors, plain and simple. It's doable, I know it is. I've heard it. I'm not saying get Phil LaMarr
level people, but try to find people who can fit the roles. Look at Dante from Devil May Cry. Dude fits the role like a glove. Couldn't even imagine hearing the character in Japanese. He apparently didn't do the first 2 games, but still. Point is, get people who can fit the vibe of the character.
Apr 17, 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to billybub
@Shizuna 100% This is unfortunately a huge issue with a lot of shows that HiDive holds the rights to. Was rewatching the K-On movie the other day and the entire Azunyan running joke was omitted, because they took the subs from the dub. Just one more in a long list of why I hate dubs. Thankfully my Japanese is getting close to the point where I hardly rely on subs as well
@billybub Sounds like an issue with garbage streaming services, not dubs.
Apr 18, 2:15 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to FanofAction
@Lawgun Kinda what I've been saying. They need better actors, plain and simple. It's doable, I know it is. I've heard it. I'm not saying get Phil LaMarr
level people, but try to find people who can fit the roles. Look at Dante from Devil May Cry. Dude fits the role like a glove. Couldn't even imagine hearing the character in Japanese. He apparently didn't do the first 2 games, but still. Point is, get people who can fit the vibe of the character.
@FanofAction
Look at Dante from Devil May Cry. Dude fits the role like a glove. Couldn't even imagine hearing the character in Japanese.

Well, true. I wanted to mention it too. It's like the only exceptions in terms of video games dubbing quality are Japanese games by default oriented on English voice over, like it was with Silent Hill series, Metal Gear Series, Resident Evil series for example. I don't know for sure how they achieved it, did these companies controlled English voice actors heavily for a better result, was it Japanese professional sound director? I have a feeling that all these example of nice English voice over were possible due full control from original sound director.
Apr 18, 3:36 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to FanofAction
@FanofAction and you're generally only proving the point that original language is always better. DMC games were originally voiced in English. Same as Bayonetta, Resident Evil and few others.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 18, 5:20 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to rsc-pl
@FanofAction and you're generally only proving the point that original language is always better. DMC games were originally voiced in English. Same as Bayonetta, Resident Evil and few others.
@rsc-pl Ok....My point was It's a game made by a Japanese company that had a solid English cast. Therefore it is possible for a Japanese product to end up with good English acting.

My argument was never about which is better. My argument was that if the people who are responsible for the English casting chose people who fit the roles, maybe less people would have issues with the English voices. My two main prior examples were FMA and the Persona series. One I thought did a really good job with the English cast, and one I thought mostly did a good job. But people don't like to focus on the things that actually might have tried, they'd rather focus on all the stuff that didn't and lampshade it all as being shit.

Also...anyone playing the original is always better card when Goku exists...
Apr 18, 5:25 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to DGemu
Its just baiting dude. The actual mature anime audience outgrew this and dont give a fuck.
@DGemu Weebs are gonna weeb, no matter how many years have passed and how mature in theory they should have become. Most of people seething about sub vs. dub stuff I've noticed over the years were either anime newcomers trying to act cool and edgy, or oldtimer fans who see themselves as a some kind of champions for being gatekeeping weebs in the past, as if it was a badge of honor.
Apr 18, 5:33 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to FanofAction
@rsc-pl Ok....My point was It's a game made by a Japanese company that had a solid English cast. Therefore it is possible for a Japanese product to end up with good English acting.

My argument was never about which is better. My argument was that if the people who are responsible for the English casting chose people who fit the roles, maybe less people would have issues with the English voices. My two main prior examples were FMA and the Persona series. One I thought did a really good job with the English cast, and one I thought mostly did a good job. But people don't like to focus on the things that actually might have tried, they'd rather focus on all the stuff that didn't and lampshade it all as being shit.

FanofAction said:

I stated before Dubs vs subs is nothing more than a fallacy.

Generally I tend to watch Japanese dub versions of Anime because I am a rare few in the west who can actually understand the language spoken, but the 1st time I had ever watched Anime on Netflix, I had no clue that there was ever an option to switch between English dub and Japanese dub. So for a few years every Anime I watched on Netflix I saw the English dub version 1st. Then later going back and re-watching some titles with it dubbed in Japanese just didn't sit right with me. It didn't matter which dub came 1st, it's really what one 1st gets use to.

If All Anime suddenly 1st got dubbed in English before any Japanese voice actors got to touch anything released, I doubt many people would be playing the "original language" card very long. lol
ColourWheelApr 18, 5:37 AM
Apr 18, 5:54 AM

Sep 2016
ColourWheel said:
If All Anime suddenly 1st got dubbed in English before any Japanese voice actors got to touch anything released, I doubt many people would be playing the "original language" card very long. lol

I'm afraid that doesn't make sense, if 1st audio produced was English then English would be the original because the 1st is always the original.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite anime vs best anime

Kenzolo-folk - 3 hours ago

19 by Ratris_Decision »»
42 seconds ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

27 by TRC_Randy »»
7 minutes ago

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

26 by SafeEntity »»
8 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

81 by SafeEntity »»
12 minutes ago

» There is nothing wrong with liking loli characters in Anime and Manga

Shamikont - 1 hour ago

12 by Fluffygreygrass »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.