Forum Settings
Forums

Overall, do you rate anime generously or harshly? Why?

New
Apr 8, 4:58 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014

Hello everyone~

Could you please tell which one are you, the one who rate anime generously? or the one who rate anime harshly? and why do you rate either generously or harshly? :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 8, 4:59 AM

Feb 2020
I guess both. It depends on the anime and how much it entertains or annoys me.
Apr 8, 5:04 AM

Dec 2021
I try to be generous, which is why my mean score leans a bit high. But when I find a stinker...

...I'm not nice. This anime is literally a "drink every time there's an animation error" with a non-zero chance of hospitalization type of anime, btw.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 8, 5:17 AM

Apr 2010
I'd like to believe I rate most anime fairly, except for a bunch of shows which I loathe on the basis of their underlying ideology.

From the point of view of an average person though, my ratings are on the harsh side, because I'm mainly concerned with the show's quality of writing and fundamental worth as a work of fiction rather than its ability to pander to its target demographic and viability as a commercial product.
Apr 8, 5:20 AM

Jan 2021
I think I am way too generous. My mean score is proof of that.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 8, 5:24 AM
Mar 2024
I only just started watching anime and I've liked every one of watched even if parts of it were bad. I tend to rate anime really generously because I think of the amount of work that goes into any anime. From the animation to the music, and everything in between, many talented people have worked really hard on it so even if it sucks I can't bring myself to rate it lower than a 6. Besides, it's not like I can even draw a single frame out of a show since it's so damn good so I have immense respect for the animators.
Apr 8, 5:31 AM

Sep 2016
If the Anime is prude then I rate it harshly, if it's lewd then generously.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 8, 5:34 AM

Jan 2023
I rate on a more critical and analytical (i know this sounds useless) perspective so I tend to be more harsh, though sometimes I’m generous because of the benefit of the doubt.

@Daviljoe193 I don’t know why but every time I see you dunking on Ojou to Banken-kun is hilarious to me lol

"You win this round. You doggies."
Apr 8, 5:35 AM

Dec 2017
If I start rating anime harshly there would barely be any anime crossing 5.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 8, 5:37 AM

Sep 2018
Generous with the anime I enjoy, harsh with the ones I don't. It basically means having a very high standard deviation, using the 1-10 rating scale as much as possible.
Apr 8, 5:39 AM

Nov 2023
Middle, I don't spam low scores but I try not to give too high, I try to form a visible opinion so I knew which one I actually liked.
Apr 8, 5:40 AM

May 2019
I'm a man of absolute for me anime is either peak fiction or the worst thing ever, but seriously i'm fairly generous in my ratings. I don't give low scores unless an anime is terrible on all aspects.
Apr 8, 5:41 AM

Jan 2009
i try to be realistic like following the labels of mal scores now
Apr 8, 6:05 AM

Apr 2013
Generously, because I simply don't watch shows that I don't enjoy at all. On the other hand, I haven't given out anything higher than an 8 in a long time. Truly groundbreaking and innovative stuff is hard to come by. Mos anime, even if enjoyable, is quite cliche.
Apr 8, 6:13 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to BitChilly
I rate on a more critical and analytical (i know this sounds useless) perspective so I tend to be more harsh, though sometimes I’m generous because of the benefit of the doubt.

@Daviljoe193 I don’t know why but every time I see you dunking on Ojou to Banken-kun is hilarious to me lol
@BitChilly That anime, man. It took up so much room rent-free in my head that I made a fucking bingo chart in preparation for the last episode. I don't think I'll ever find another anime that I can justify doing that for.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 8, 6:17 AM

Mar 2008
Both really. Generous when i want to remember it. Harshly when it is overrated but usually this is only one or two points from MAL average at most.
Apr 8, 6:18 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Daviljoe193
@BitChilly That anime, man. It took up so much room rent-free in my head that I made a fucking bingo chart in preparation for the last episode. I don't think I'll ever find another anime that I can justify doing that for.

@Daviljoe193 I remember that bingo chart in the episode discussion and laughing audibly in my class, I knew it wasn’t good but preparing a bingo in advance is so funny to me. Which ones were filled out for the last episode?

Apr 8, 6:20 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to BitChilly
@Daviljoe193 I remember that bingo chart in the episode discussion and laughing audibly in my class, I knew it wasn’t good but preparing a bingo in advance is so funny to me. Which ones were filled out for the last episode?
@BitChilly A lot of them, but nothing to make a line sadly.

It was a bad anime, and offended me in so many ways, but at least it wasn't boring. :)
Apr 8, 6:21 AM
Oct 2019
Both because I go from 1 to 10 so I say it's as generous as harsh so I am like Santa.
Apr 8, 6:25 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Daviljoe193
@BitChilly A lot of them, but nothing to make a line sadly.

It was a bad anime, and offended me in so many ways, but at least it wasn't boring. :)
@Daviljoe193 Waaah, no bingo! It was entertaining but I kept questioning myself while watching it like “Why did I begin this again? Was it for the memes?”

Apr 8, 6:26 AM

May 2015
Generously if I like it, harshly if I don't like it.
Apr 8, 6:26 AM

Jan 2019
I guess I'm slightly more generous but I'll try to utilise the whole 1~10 rating scale, it's just that I rarely watch bad anime so I can't rate anything pretty harshly
Apr 8, 6:30 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to BitChilly
@Daviljoe193 Waaah, no bingo! It was entertaining but I kept questioning myself while watching it like “Why did I begin this again? Was it for the memes?”
@BitChilly For me, it was "Oh, a straight-up normal romance anime without a bunch of other genres tacked-on, seems nice.", I PTWed it without looking into it, then I found out it was groomer bait just a day or two later and was like "My no-removal policy! WHYYYYY?!?!?! 😭"
Apr 8, 6:38 AM

Oct 2016
In my eyes, fairly, on most others', harshly. In short, because I believe in using the full scale and some stories having more merit and deserving a higher score than others, which, at the end of the day, shows my bias to which I'll stick to unless I change my mind in the future (very unlikely).
Apr 8, 6:58 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Daviljoe193
@BitChilly For me, it was "Oh, a straight-up normal romance anime without a bunch of other genres tacked-on, seems nice.", I PTWed it without looking into it, then I found out it was groomer bait just a day or two later and was like "My no-removal policy! WHYYYYY?!?!?! 😭"
@Daviljoe193 By the end of the series, I ended up just using it as background noise to listen to while in my art class lol. The no-drop/no-removal policy strikes again.

Apr 8, 7:38 AM
Jun 2019
I would like to think i rate anime fairly and try to use all scores from 1-10.
I have been told i'm both though. I have no idea what that means.
Apr 8, 7:53 AM

Nov 2019
One of the most harshest raters on Mal is me. I can guarantee if I have seen similar anime to some of the top watched anime people all 1's. NO lies
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 8, 7:59 AM

Nov 2019
Unimaginative anime are genarally worse than emotionally damaging ones, because they offer nothing.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 8, 8:01 AM

Apr 2024
I used to be more generous but nowadays I tend to be harsher. I even went through my list and changed a lot of the scores I had originally given some anime.
Apr 8, 8:39 AM
Feb 2014
I personally think i'm pretty generous with my scores, unless the anime really pissed me off, i tend to rate most anime in the 7-9 range.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 8, 9:05 AM

Apr 2022
I feel like I’m very generous. An anime has to really offend me personally for me to give it a REAL low score. Otherwise you’re going to at least get average scores from me lol.
Apr 8, 9:13 AM
May 2021
My process of rating heavily depends on how much I enjoyed the show. If I enjoyed it wholeheartedly, it would receive a good score from me, no matter how it is viewed in the community.
Apr 8, 9:14 AM

Feb 2022
Harshly, because it contrasts better pero~ else chatgpt shows like frieren would end up rated the same human made shows or smthn.
Apr 8, 9:23 AM

Feb 2018
I guess when looking at other scorings I'm a bit harshly. I just wanna use all 1-10 and it wouldn't be fair to give an "ok" anime more than, idk 6. A lot of people think 6 is like bad, but for me it's better than the average. (Average is 5)
So of course a lot of my shows are in the area 5-7 because I watch stuff that looks interesting to me, so slightly better than average.
Also I wanna give high scores only to shows I absolutely liked/loved. It wouldn't feel right to give the same score to a "ok show" and a "great show"
Apr 8, 9:27 AM

Sep 2021
I rate anime according to the descriptions (so 7 = good, 4= bad, 2 = horrible, ect.), which is apperantly quite harsh compared to the Avg. Scores.

Sometimes it's sad to contribute to a score I find too low but I need at least 10 diffrent categories to rate anime appropriately.

For example: Prima Doll and it's 7.13 score. It was a lot better than many shows with higher scores in Summer '22! But it just isn't good enough to get the same ranking as my 8's, so I only gave it a 7 myself.
Apr 8, 9:41 AM

Oct 2019
I try to be as fair a possible and not be overly generous or harsh on anything. So, hopefully the answer is neither.

Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 8, 10:28 AM
Dec 2022
My rating is
10 If I like it very much pr it affects some part of my life
9 if it's good
8 if it's ok

I DON'T RATE WHAT I DON'T LIKE
Apr 8, 10:37 AM

Aug 2021
most of the time I rate very generously. but sometime i go very harsh on anime specially if the anime following a similar pattern or following a boring action like mostly shounens.
Apr 8, 10:40 AM

Aug 2016
I think I rate anime just right, it's kinda rare for me to love an anime enough to rate it above a 7, but it's equally rare for me to hate one enough to rate it below 4
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 8, 10:41 AM

Dec 2020
I give anything that is watchable more than 5. I give relatively high scores to most anime.
Never understood the whole 'utilise all of the rating scale' point that a lot of people make. I believe that most anime out there is good and that's why my ratings are centered around 7.
Thanatos1Apr 8, 10:44 AM

Apr 8, 12:14 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to kodeb8
I used to be more generous but nowadays I tend to be harsher. I even went through my list and changed a lot of the scores I had originally given some anime.
kodeb8 said:

Pretty much the same here except I kept past anime I rated generously back then that way it is as a reminder or so of how I was back then. Think of it as part of character development. Now I try to be fair and reasonable when I rate kind/somewhat critically or harsh.
DarkShame2Apr 9, 12:13 PM
Apr 8, 1:03 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I'm more generous at rating Anime... reasoning is simple. Anime is 1 thing I can tell for sure I've enjoyed/loved since childhood and has kept me going.... and im more of "personal feelings" >> "objective/critical" value scorer. Thus only thing I'm somewhat more "positive" about and that's how I tend to feel when watching Anime I guess? Thus I tend to rate Anime higher than a lot of people I guess?

Copy paste my answer from similar thread.

5 = average, where for most part I feel bored. These I'm likely to drop. 5 and lower I'm dropping quite likely... (since I've stopped my no drop policy loooooooooong time ago)
6 = it's "okay/fine", where for most part I did enjoy it, thus "positive" score... do drop them occasionally.

6 and higher are good scores = I enjoy them = I don't drop them = thus making them good/fun/enjoyable .

Kinda been my go to scoring logic since I've started watching anime back in 2008 , and I've seen fair share.

Haven't updated for ages, but in a nutshell my scoring logic ..... for the most part still applies. But yeah, personal enjoyment plays always much higher role when it comes to any of my free time hobbies by how I score anime/games/movies/series/music

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=2154643&id=70844057
Apr 8, 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
I rate anime based on what it is, if you're watching trashy power fantasy and critiquing it like it's Citizen Kane, that's on you.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 8, 1:49 PM
Dec 2022
Overall generously. Most anime that I do dislike I try my best to be constructive about it, even if it doesn't go that way every single time.
Apr 8, 2:19 PM

May 2023
Very very generously.. As I don't experiment beyond by watch preferences.. and even the generous scores are enough for classification on a personal level.
Apr 8, 2:22 PM
Jul 2020
I think I rated anime pretty generous compared my friend list did even to anime that I don't like that much
Apr 8, 2:39 PM

Mar 2024
I don't know. I think my scores are more sincere than anything else, at least in terms of how I really think and feel about the anime I've watched. Whether my rating is generous or not is relative and largely dependent on who you ask.
Apr 8, 4:25 PM
Feb 2024
I rate generously i think because i just want to enjoy anime
Apr 8, 4:39 PM

Sep 2018
I'm fairly critical in general, but I always loosen up when it comes to shows I really enjoyed watching even if there are a lot of visible flaws. In the end, enjoyment is the most important after all!
Apr 8, 4:44 PM

Sep 2022
I'm usually very generous when rating anime because I enjoy most anime that I watch.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6?

Akuya - 1 hour ago

24 by ScarRufus »»
36 seconds ago

» Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

27 by Dachitosoru »»
10 minutes ago

» Does femdom ruin romance anime for you?

Sanjay63773 - 7 hours ago

30 by Lhundrup »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

86 by Gear707 »»
14 minutes ago

» 3x3/Grid thread

Johan420 - Apr 28

8 by joseifan »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.