Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
It's a cute start. Doga Kobo clearly is involved in this with their style of animating this. There were some fan service but nothing really too distracting.

Also, it's very lighthearted and social media seems to have a presence. It also has a school setting so these characters are mostly teens and growing up. I believe this show will explore growth for the cast. Definitely a lot of potential character bonding through interests.
Apr 6, 9:30 AM

Jul 2017
Doga Kobo's 50th Anniversary show, composed by Tomozaki-kun novelist Yuki Yaku and directed by Eromanga Sensei director Ryohei Takeshita, it's looking good.

The story about wandering jellyfish, as such with one Mahiru Kouzuki, where social media has power, she's just a girl who has aspirations for drawing (but gave up thereafter) with her jellyfish graffiti mural, she only has Kiui Watase a.k.a Nox Ryugasaki as her confidante, and somebody who also has that aspiration: a blonde-haired girl, whom Mahiru tries to stalk her.

As it turns out, one such girl is a huge fan of her jellyfish mural: Kano Yamanouchi, who came to Shibuya as a former idol herself as her alias of Nonoka Tachibana. It's the same with Mahiru going by her alias of Yoru Kurage when she was designing the rural, and now Kano going by her new anonymous name of JELEE, it has become part of her identity to get back into the idol business. Even with her recommendation for Mahiru to get back into drawing, it's not as simple for her to just decide what she wants to do. It's all about the push, and as much as Kano is being influenced by Mahiru, she only knows how to run away. And that's pretty much the same for Kano whom she resorted to violence and quit the idol business altogether.

With Halloween around, Mahiru got to see Kano again. Though this time, they rescinded, and Kano breaking out into song in front of her jellyfish mural, it sparks renewed interest for the former to want to shine.

Intriguing premiere episode, though there's a lot of factors where this can make or break the show.
KANLen09Apr 7, 4:05 AM
Apr 6, 9:30 AM

Feb 2020
I wasn't sure what to expect, but this was a good first episode. Doga Kobo rarely disappoints me.

The animation looks great.

Interesting to see how the story will develop from here.

SerafosApr 6, 10:48 AM
Apr 6, 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
Ehh ... they somehow forgot to mention that at the end of that little story about the jellyfish ... the jellyfish gets eaten ... Hope that fate does not awaits our cast :)

At first seem like a very aware show, very aware of modern japanese culture and how it affect those growing up in it, quite liked that part to be honest, seems like an actual directional vision for a change.

First episode was nice, and while this is Doga Kobo, i'm expecting some deep social themes from this.
Apr 6, 10:08 AM

Feb 2021
Watching this because Doga Kobo. They really became one of my favorite studios.
Also this was announced a whole year ago, damn. Feels like it was last month or something.

Google says that jellyfish can swim, but really slowly. And idk if this will be relevant, but in Japanese, Jellyfish (クラゲ, kurage) can be written as 海月 (sea moon), or 水母 (water mother).
Shibuya and halloween... HmMmMmMm
I wish Hidive subbed the songs too, the lyrics relate to the characters.

Really nice first episode. The characters are quite interesting and the animation and art were really good.
EmbientApr 6, 10:12 AM
Apr 6, 10:11 AM

Apr 2014
Sasuga Doga Kobo, the first episode was very good.

Speaking of the locations, it was centered around Miyashita Park in Shibuya.
the jellyfish painting should be around here - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q4Y18sDCuF1NMKZc7
and the footbridge - https://maps.app.goo.gl/5BdPAWZX9rEk6B2S6
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 6, 10:12 AM
Aug 2022
1st episode is so good, this studio of Oshi No Ko surely is great at animation.
Apr 6, 10:17 AM
Jul 2023
A strong start. characters introduction, personality, backstories, and dynamics done really well. the great animation really helps the characters pop off more. Can’t wait to see where this go.
Apr 6, 10:20 AM
Sep 2020
Love hidives dogshit app where you can’t read the last 30 seconds because of the “next episode” thats not even out
Apr 6, 10:23 AM

Mar 2021
Really enjoyable first episode really looking forward to seeing how this story develops.
Apr 6, 10:25 AM

Nov 2016
Doga Kobo + orginal has me highliy intrigued and the first episode didn't disappoint. Some anime have that magical first episode which gets you hooked and this is one of them. I find it funny how some characters here resemble the K-On! cast a bit.
FMmatronApr 6, 12:15 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 6, 10:33 AM

Jan 2016
I was going to watch this just because of the studio and the VAs lineup even if the story was pretty bad but wow, 1 episode is all it took to fully develop a character and get me emotionaly invested in her... They did an amazing job!

The visuals and animation in this what in the world... it's so stunning and beatiful, not to talk about the camera work

Also is this a collab with Doga Kobo, ufotable, Clover Works and SHAFT?? I saw the names in the credits in the 仕上げ (finishing) part. If so that's an insane lineup holy shoot
Apr 6, 10:42 AM

Oct 2017
I've been looking forward to this so much and this was a cool and interesting premiere. The animation, visuals and character designs are all really good. That jellyfish mural looked really neat, be more proud Yoru. The song was really neat too, Rieri's voice is great. Love the character dynamics between the two. Jelee's journey begins from here. Good luck both of you.
Apr 6, 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
Doga Kobo continues to visually be a consistent little force as another show of theirs seems to look very solid, colorful and vibrant. I might not be a fan of much of their actual shows but that is more to do with the content they're adapting than their animation quality. Episode started a bit boring for me but definitely picked up towards the end there, even if the ending portion was a bit corny for me. Kano and Mahiru seemed to develop good chemistry as friends after their coincidental meeting, helps that Kano was already a big fan of Mahiru's art previously, both even getting to share their more vulnerable sides a bit already too to understand each other better. I'm still not sure if I'll be a fan of the series since shows like these generally seem to go very well or disappointingly by the end, but there is potential to work with here so I'll wait and see how this goes.
Apr 6, 10:52 AM

Mar 2020
Doga Kobo is really making a name for themselves recently with the success that was Oshi no Ko, and this looks just as vibrant and colourful as that, at least, with solid animation and details throughout. There is a strong vision here of modern culture in Japan and the societal pressures that the youth go through, especially when they're not knowing their place in the world, and how to stand out. The art of expressing oneself and putting oneself out there is certainly a leap, and in Mahiru's case, getting shot down really shot down her confidence as well, but meeting Kano might have really helped her out. The music at the end was great, and this show is certainly one to look out for this season. Looking forward to how this goes!
Apr 6, 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
Thank god for Kano (Rie Takahashi) because the episode was honestly not interesting until the performance. That kinda of put everything into perspective and steered the show of the direction of "Hey this is what this anime is about" and now I am intrigued by it.

Looking forward to more.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 6, 10:58 AM
Jan 2024
Seriously The Concept Seemed so Unique. I really love original anime and this one is seriously amazing. The starting didn't seemed so interesting but after watchng full episode my thoughts are completely different. huge Gambare to this anime for Spring 2024
Apr 6, 11:02 AM

Aug 2022
Seeing something filled with colors like this, is very suitable to be used as the end of the day or the start of a new day.

So, another original anime this season, it's great. Seeing girls in the city doing what they do, with drama will also make this even more exciting to follow. I want more.

Apr 6, 11:06 AM

Oct 2020
This was my most anticipated anime of the season and gotta say my expectations were met. I loved this first episode, it was an incredible start for me. Visually too was beautiful, like the overall directing is also just really top tier. And obviously the VAs absolutely killed it. And the soundtrack was incredible as well. Honestly is my favorite first episode of the season.
Apr 6, 11:11 AM

May 2020
I hope this doesn’t drop the ball midway or more like in just couple more episodes, because for however and whatever it was, that felt somewhat decent enough.

Props to the character designs tho.
Apr 6, 11:26 AM
May 2012
Solid start. Seems like a nice coming of age show with cute girls, can't wait for more !
Apr 6, 11:27 AM
May 2023
I watched this because I saw Miyu Tomita as Kiwi and kept watching because of the animation and coloring of this anime.

Also this is a collaboration between Doga Kobo, ufotable, SHAFT, cloverworks, even TRIGGER? I saw this in the credits scene if it's true then that's awesome.

Really looking forward to the next episode!

Apr 6, 11:37 AM
May 2017
Excellent beginning episode (claps hands)! It is fucking Doga Kobo all the way! Mahiru, Kaho and Kano are fluffiness incarnated. Lovely chemistry between Mahiru the angel and Kano the devil.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 6, 11:54 AM

May 2013
Loved the first episode. Production went crazy. Feels like they really put a ton into the show. Every scene has interesting camera angles an cinematography. At times it was definitely a bit too much on that front, but overall love it. It feels like they put as much passion into the show as the characters put into their art (hazukashi).
Apr 6, 11:58 AM
Dec 2020
Reminds me a bit of Beat & Motion. Can’t wait for more.
Apr 6, 11:59 AM
Jul 2023
Cute and wears it's heart on it's sleeve. Love it
Apr 6, 12:01 PM
Nov 2023
Doga Kobo did it again!
Almost a year after Oshi no Ko, they have provided another great Showbiz anime. And this time it's an original.
Loved the first episode and see a lot of potential for the future.
Apr 6, 12:10 PM

Oct 2016
LIDL yofukashi lmao

a bit too yuribait-ish for my preference
but ill keep watching, Doga Kobo just doesnt miss in the long run
Apr 6, 12:42 PM

Feb 2019
“Jellyfish can’t swim on their own”

A year on from the masterclass that was Oshi no Ko’s premiere, Doga Kobo are back with an ethereal and masterful premiere of their latest anime original. The best we’ve seen yet by far. Not only are the direction and production values the best of the season so far, but the character interactions, Yuri vibes and general message of pursuing your dreams and creative endeavours is so well done.

In just one episode, I feel like I’ve come to know Kano and Yoru so well, and you can feel that from the characters as well with how their relationship evolved over the course of the episode. This almost felt like one season worth of development in 25 minutes if that makes sense. Not in a bad sense, but the episode had a clear beginning middle and end and told a nice prologue esque story.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the similarities to this and Sorayori/ A place further than the universe. It’s clear the staff took some inspiration from that lovely series which I couldn’t be happier about since it’s amazing. The use of establishing shots, introspective monologue and clever use of motion just makes this show feel so lively.

It honestly feels like those anime music videos to songs like a “Colors” by Sawano or Shelter by Porter Robinson. I hope this isn’t just for the premiere and that the quality stays the same throughout. There’s people from SHAFT, Cloverworks and even trigger I saw listed in the credits so the talent is certainly there.

“If I’m around you, maybe I’ll be able to shine too” 😮‍💨 that last 4 minutes or so with Kano’s performance and the running scene was just special. If they keep this up, we got an all timer on our hands. Can’t wait to see where their relationship goes.
Marinate1016Apr 6, 2:13 PM
Apr 6, 1:13 PM
May 2016
Is this the new Bocchi the Rock? It was a good first ep.
Apr 6, 1:22 PM
Jun 2022
Gay like me, loved it.
Apr 6, 1:32 PM

Apr 2021
Excellent first episode, visually appealing too !
Apr 6, 1:36 PM
May 2016
Loved it, finally something new this season with substance.
Apr 6, 1:37 PM

Jan 2017
My personal AotS might have just dropped with this one, but they did that poor idol girl dirty. She was just trying to sing, man, she would've removed the poster later.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 6, 1:55 PM

Nov 2013
Wow, this was a very good first episode. Instantly hooked!
Apr 6, 1:58 PM
Jan 2023
Stellar premier. The visuals were awsome, as well as the ost and everything else, honestly.
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

May 2015
Anyone else not getting the subs on HiDive? So done with that company
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
Only two cases of shipping goggles in the comments? I hope that this will actually do without yet another pointless attempt to see yuri in any interaction of female characters on the screen.
Apr 6, 2:05 PM
Aug 2022
This show definitely blew me away, I mean i quite literally had no clue what this was I just thought the name of the show sounded cool. Characters are fun, Animation is great. This has a lot of potential to be a favourite of mine this season. (well one of them at least)

Lets just hope Yoru and Kano leave Shibuya before Sukuna blows it up with malevolent shrine
Apr 6, 2:08 PM

Sep 2022
billybub said:
Anyone else not getting the subs on HiDive? So done with that company

Yeah, also running into the same issue unfortunately :(
Apr 6, 2:16 PM

Jun 2023
I really liked this first ep. Doga Kobo is really stepping up their game lately.
Apr 6, 2:29 PM

Oct 2022
rie takahashi being in two different idol-themed doga kobo shows is a little unusual but i'll take it
fgsfds
Apr 6, 2:33 PM
Jan 2021
Took me a while to figure out what it is we're getting with this but I enjoyed it once I understood what we're to expect. Gotta say, I loved the visual art in this. Really just so damn comfy.
Apr 6, 2:35 PM

Jan 2016
Subtitles on HiDive aren't working for me, tried 2 different devices.
Apr 6, 2:36 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to garkon_icky
rie takahashi being in two different idol-themed doga kobo shows is a little unusual but i'll take it
@garkon_icky Idols? As far as I can see it's more like street music.
Apr 6, 2:40 PM

Jun 2017
Much better than I was expecting. I usually ignore idol dramas, but this caught my eye
rassilonApr 6, 6:44 PM
Apr 6, 2:41 PM
Sep 2021
If Runaway by Galantis was a anime

that's what I felt watching the episode
Apr 6, 2:41 PM
Jan 2019
i can feel it, another masterpiece by dogakobo
Apr 6, 2:45 PM

Jun 2016
So Kawaii! and very good animation.
Apr 6, 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
When this was announced last year, it was my early prediction for Anime of the Year (or a candidate at the very least). The last time I was as confident about a show was Bocchi the Rock. Really looking forward to more. Awesome start!!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

122 by winddevil1 »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 27

59 by Kikirkkr »»
Yesterday, 9:52 AM

» So that 'little' fan services on episode 1 are just my imagination?

mufarari - Apr 30

9 by THE_UNKILLED777 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 20

106 by MegamiRem »»
Yesterday, 6:55 AM

» This turned out to be a black horse

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 20

35 by TiagoCosta »»
Apr 30, 4:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.