Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 26, 11:16 AM

Apr 2012
Have you ever bought anime merchandise, especially toys, as a child? Do you buy branded toys right now if you are still a child now? The selection was pretty limited when I was a kid, but I still remember my collection of Dragon Ball Z keychains, a nerd guy Digimon figurine, and a mountain of assorted Pokemon and Transformers merch.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 26, 11:16 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I bought some Digimon plushies a long time ago.
Mar 26, 11:27 AM

Sep 2016
If it counts: Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 26, 11:28 AM

Mar 2023
I did buy a bunch of Beyblades as a kid.
SpunkertMar 26, 11:43 AM
Mar 26, 11:35 AM

Feb 2020
No don't think so?
My mother said I used to have an Ollie the Ox toy doll from Ox Tales/Gera Gera Boes Monogatari, but I do not remember it at all.
Mar 26, 11:39 AM

Feb 2021
Yes, from Pokemon, a horse Ponita with pink hair and a little one also.
Mar 26, 11:42 AM

Dec 2019
I was lucky to get any cheap plastic toy as a child lol, anything anime-related would have been too expensive to find and purchase.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Mar 26, 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
I had some Digimon and Pokemon figures and plushies, kinda regret not keeping those.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 26, 11:59 AM

Oct 2010
Bro, I lived in the 90s, I didn't have money to spend. The most anime-like things I got were a pikachuu plushie and tons of pokemon cards from croissants
Mar 26, 12:03 PM

Apr 2023
still i am i love beybladeeessssssssssssss
Mar 26, 12:12 PM

Aug 2021
not really but i grew up eating cheetos like every fkn day and theyd have yu gi oh and pokemon collectibles like those tiny metal discs and wed trade them at school (or sneak into class and steal some from opps backpack fkn lmao) they were called tazos or something
with toys id mainly collect hot wheels, bionicle, and power rangers cuz i didnt even know anime was a thing nor that yu gi oh and pokemon werent just a quirked up american cartoon
Mar 26, 1:18 PM

Nov 2019
Yeash, I used to buy like pokemon plushies, I had the whole beyblade battle arena and I got when I was around 13 and pokemon cards and yugioh cards.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 26, 1:19 PM

Dec 2015
Only couple beyblades and fake yugioh and duel masters cards as they had different images and writing typos which were the only available anime related merch in my home town, there were no figurines, no manga, no clothes, nothing else. Anime wasn't that popular back than, it still isn't that big of deal yet here.
Mar 26, 2:25 PM

Dec 2020
If you count things like pokemon cards and beyblaedes as anime merch then yeah.
Mar 26, 2:52 PM

Aug 2010
I had a Digimon bag. I don't remember getting anything else.
Mar 26, 2:53 PM
May 2018
I bought some Beyblades and Battle Spirits cards, I guess. Definitely had Doraemon themed items before, but I don't think those count
Mar 26, 3:12 PM

Oct 2022
Such toys didn't really exist like they do today. Toys were bought for us, when I was a kid. The only anime-related toy I had were these mechanical lions from the GoLion cartoon I liked the different color characters, but didn't even know it was an anime. I also had an X-wing fighter from Return of the Jedi, just to give you an idea what time period we're talking about here. It was a totally different world
Mar 26, 3:19 PM

Dec 2022
I used to have a collection of Yu-Gi-Oh cards, including a bunch of poorly translated counterfeit cards, but that's all I remember having pertaining to anime. Not particularly interested in merch nowadays.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 26, 3:31 PM

Apr 2021
i had a lot of pokemon toys i played with (both the pokeballs as well as tiny plastic figurines), some i think were happy meal toys, and i also had sailor mercury and sailor venus dolls that i played with alongside my barbies as a kid. i think i might've had a toy version of the digivice from digimon too, but i cant recall. i dont think i owned any cardcaptor sakura toys but i started collecting the manga when i was 10, if that counts. i also had some 'practical' pieces of pokemon merch as a kid that werent toys inherently, but definitely directed toward child - a pikachu camera and a bulbasaur pencil sharpener. also a couple beyblades.

ʕ˶• ᴥ •˶ʔ

Mar 26, 4:20 PM

Aug 2020
I grew up with a friend that talked about Naruto all day, and another one that talked about Dragon Ball 24/7. That's the closest

Mar 26, 4:32 PM

Jul 2017
I have this giant furry Pikachu backpack in my house that I still keep for sentimental reasons. I also had this green Lego Bionicle Rahkshi Lerahk at one point during my very early childhood, but that toy probably isn't anime lol.

Personally, I was always more of a Yu-Gi-Oh! card collector than a toy collector, and so I never really ended up getting that many toys. I do own quite a decent amount of Yu-Gi-Oh! items nowadays though, like holo cards, 1st edition sealed booster boxes, booster packs, Japanese structure decks, etc. I also remember receiving some movie promo Pokémon cards from watching the first three Pokémon movies in theaters, and those times were pretty great. I am thinking of getting an anime figurine collection sometime in the future too. 👌
Mar 26, 4:33 PM

Apr 2023
I was obsessed with Pokemon as a kid so yes. I had these mini Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise toys but I can't find them in my house. If Pokemon cards count, those too.
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Mar 26, 5:06 PM

Sep 2018
I have tons of pokemon merch and beyblades so yeah. Battle bdaman was awesome too.
Mar 26, 5:32 PM

Nov 2018
Pokemon cards and plushies, Beyblades, those Bakugan spheres, whatever Transformers we were given as kids, DVDs, games for the DS and Gameboy Advance. Most of these were given to me and my siblings as presents.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 26, 5:55 PM

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
Did you buy anime toys as a child?

Technically as a child, depending on how young someone was, I doubt anyone was actually buying anything because children don't normally produce steady income. During my childhood in Japan before primary school, I had lots of random toys my parents bought me which I had no clue if they were Anime related or not at the time. I think the closest thing I could think of were "Kinnikuman" erasers during my primary school years, which technically weren't even toys.

Even so as one grows older no one really truly gives up collecting toys, they just get bigger and more expensive. After primary school the toys I played with were simply just video games from an 8-bit Famicom system to an SG-1000. Fast forward today I simply just buy old broken Arcade Cabinets for thousands of dollars as a hobby and fix them up to work like new. I really don't even play modern video games anymore.
Mar 26, 6:57 PM

Feb 2021
No, but I did have an Optimus Prime figure from Transformers Energon series. That counts as an anime, right?
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 26, 7:03 PM

Oct 2021
The only ones I remember having are those awesome Saint Seiya toys from Bandai. They were the coolest stuff back in the 90s, and since SS was very popular here, every kid wanted one. But it was my parents who bought them for me.

Also bootleg DBZ toys, of course
Mar 26, 7:13 PM

May 2022
Yeah. I bought a lot of Pokemon related stuff a few years ago.
Mar 26, 7:14 PM

Mar 2019
I already had some Pokemon toys when I was a kid. :3
Mar 26, 7:21 PM
Oct 2019
Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh cards,got some dragon ball z toys for Christmas and pokemon figures.
Mar 26, 7:32 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah, I did. I especially getting or buying Dragon Ball, Pokemon, and Beyblade merchandise. Digimon stuff was rare to the place where I live, but I also happened to have some items coming from this franchise.
Mar 26, 8:05 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to GarouWolf
The only ones I remember having are those awesome Saint Seiya toys from Bandai. They were the coolest stuff back in the 90s, and since SS was very popular here, every kid wanted one. But it was my parents who bought them for me.

Also bootleg DBZ toys, of course
@GarouWolf Oh my, I wish that kind of figures were available in the stores in my country back in the day. I'd love to have at least one of them, haha.
Mar 26, 8:21 PM

Oct 2021
Reply to Adnash
@GarouWolf Oh my, I wish that kind of figures were available in the stores in my country back in the day. I'd love to have at least one of them, haha.
@Adnash

Dude they were all the rave back then.

I would probably collect if the figures were cheaper, but they go for like 100 dollars on ebay for one in good condition :O

Not really a toys for kids though, I remember losing almost all the armor pieces really fast, lol.
Mar 26, 8:53 PM

Feb 2018

The Model Kit my Nephew gave me, - around the time when when i was like all of seven/eight years old -
was the prime impetus that set me down the road towards OTAKUhood;

Large-Scaled DX Toy of the same Mecha... about Thirty-some years on;

MasterTasukeMar 26, 8:56 PM
Mar 26, 8:55 PM

Jan 2021
No, I don't think there even were any anime toys when I was a kid, at least in America. Some people mentioned Transformers, is that anime? I never considered it as. But I didn't have those anyway so doesn't matter. I played with Dino-Riders, Legos, and Matchbox cars.
Mar 26, 9:32 PM

Mar 2021
I didn't as far as I remember. I grew up with Monster High and Barbie dolls instead.
Mar 26, 9:36 PM

Feb 2017
yes, but mostly the one that can be played.
like beyblade, tamiya, yugi-oh, digimon tamers tamagochi (the one that had card slash), crush gear.
the only collection type that i bought is digimon cards because it's shining. 「if I'm a child now」i guess not except yugi-oh make augmented reality gameplay.
-
-
Mar 27, 2:31 AM

Apr 2021
I had 20+ bayblades. And does pokemon cards count? Had hundreds of them. I still have 5-6 bayblades. Forgot what happened to other ones. Gave all the pokemon cards to my cousin.
Mar 27, 2:45 AM

Oct 2018
I have Preyas bakugan when I was a kid.
AdityaRizkiSMar 27, 2:50 AM
Mar 27, 2:50 AM

May 2023
Several Mecha and Machines.. beyblades. If cards count then I got several sets of Pokémon and Digimon cards.. A few other titles too I dun remember about them. My first set of Poke cards however were not official ones. I dun exactly remember how I got them, but they were a gift with something else parents bought for me. Those cards had purple borders and a bit larger than usual ones. I likes them cuz they numbered around ~300. It was the cool kid brag right in school lol.

My most favorite one however, was a toy videocam thingy [also a gift]. It actually did not record anything, rather worked as a projector [but shaped like old school handheld videocam]. Circular disks had pokémon images. It felt soo awsm owning something like that lol.
Mar 27, 3:22 AM

Apr 2011
Yeah, growing up in France in the 80s we had a lot of toys from the popular anime and US cartoons. I went on to collect JoJo figures later.
Mar 27, 3:30 AM

Mar 2012
Yes, I used to have so many beyblades, loved playing with them and cards for Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Duel Masters, Beyblade, Digimon.
Mar 27, 6:28 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to Shrimp_Tail
No, I don't think there even were any anime toys when I was a kid, at least in America. Some people mentioned Transformers, is that anime? I never considered it as. But I didn't have those anyway so doesn't matter. I played with Dino-Riders, Legos, and Matchbox cars.

If you mean within the U.S. Market, back in the 1980's... then there were indeed a few of them out there... for all-too-brief a moment;

MasterTasukeMar 27, 6:52 AM
Mar 27, 7:03 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Shrimp_Tail
@Shrimp_Tail

Mattel imported many Japanese toys in North America, though, like the Shogun Warriors

Later, Matchbox also imported the "Voltron" robots.
Mar 27, 7:41 AM
Jun 2019
Oh no, back in my young years it was a dirty secret to watch anime. There was nothing much to buy but pokemon cards and some pikachu cap from the market if you were lucky. I had some cards but i did not have much money as a child nor would i have bought any for the fear of somebody somehow figuring out that i watched anime.
Mar 27, 8:43 AM

Feb 2024
If Transformers count, then yes. My purchase history goes all the way back to 1984 and the G1 models.
Mar 27, 9:39 AM

Jan 2021
I had a few anime toys

the coolest kid in kindergarten had yugioh gx dueldisk lmao
Mar 27, 2:01 PM

Nov 2017
I broked a lot of beyblades in the firs
t hour I played with them.
Mar 27, 2:34 PM

Mar 2008
I wanted to but I didnt get chance to ;_;
Mar 27, 2:38 PM

Jul 2014
I bought a bootleg Naruto figure before even watching a single episode of the show. My dog tore it to pieces though lmao.

Also collected Yu-Gi-Oh cards for a time.
Take care of yourself

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 2 hours ago

11 by Zimmu »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

103 by Animeistaken »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 8 hours ago

23 by Coaghim »»
24 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 7 hours ago

16 by KitsuFrost »»
27 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

23 by ColourWheel »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.