Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 15, 7:25 AM

Mar 2016
The 2nd stage of the examination is over and now the participants are back living their lives whilst the 3rd stage is being prepared. Laufen is yet again hanging around with Denken a basket full of sweet snacks by her hand. My man really love to spoil his 'granddaughter figure' lol.

That staff that Heiter gave to Fern meant a lot to Frieren. I wished that Frieren herself would replace Fern's broken staff to something better, maybe an upgrade. Though I don't know whether the there is even any change in magical casting if Fern were to get a 'better' staff. Welp in the end, she got her good ol' staff back from Frieren.

And the 3rd stage is upon us! Seems like this will be a short one. Serie herself is taking over as the proctor of this final stage.(All thanks to Frieren) Her with her intuition will be the deciding factor. Alas Frieren herself didn't get to pass, evens she knew that. However Fern did get to pass, so much so that Serie even offered to take Fern as her disciple, she's the only one to see instability within Serie's magical suppresion. The Era of Humans is upon us. The next GREAT MAGE is here!
Mar 15, 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Great to see Frieren and others pass the second exam. Looks like this episode is building more into the next exam, which is the final.

It's also nice to see Frieren going out her way to help Fern repair her staff. Fern and Stark had some cute moments together imo as usual. I like Frieren's resolve this episode though and the buildup was an interesting one coming from the recent battles.

May 2020
Always like that brief period of breather between the exams. I mean we see Stark then, that in one thing, and these people who don’t quite see eye to eye usually, do seem very close in this period. Usual banters aside, good to see mama Frieren doing what she does. I mean that staff was indeed very close to Fern after all.

Though like the last time, we not getting one full episode of these people just going around and doing what they wanted. I mean the third stage was there, but Serie being the invigilator herself raised the stakes too high. Goes without saying, few results were already set in stone then…

… like Serie rejecting Frieren just because… she could, lol. Though hey, her methods of rejection aren’t always one sided, I mean she had a reason… for passing people as well. Though good to see Frieren still standing firm with her values, I mean it was obvious she would but still.

At least someone passed, and I mean why not, Fern impressed Serie of all people. Though I was thinking, we'd see that thing with the glasses dude this episode itself, but I guess that is for next time.

By the way, this is ending next week and that is one sad thing in itself:(

Dec 2021
It's time for the final part of the First-Class Mage Exam—the toughest yet: gaining acceptance as to be a First-Class Mage.

The candidates take a break in a distant corner. Fern shares her frustration with Stark, expressing disappointment over Frieren's insensitive reaction to her damaged staff, a gift from Heiter. Those who didn't succeed in the second stage of the examination console each other over their setback. In another part, Serie and a group of elite mages deliberate on the structure of the upcoming third exam. Ultimately, Serie takes on the responsibility of overseeing the third exam.

I really like how the anime deals with sadness, acceptance, and moving on. In this arc all these new people are introduced, and I empathize with a bunch of them—they feel like real people, not just stereotypes. Anyways, it's funny how scared Stark is of Fern's pout. The way they handle the final part of the exam, especially since we're eight episodes in, is smart. It makes sure Frieren fails like people expected. And it shows how important visualization is, especially with Fern's bold move. She's fed up with the Elven stuff, and Frieren's too much already. As if that's a surprise to anyone though lol. Really though, the era of humans is here, starting with Fern.

Next week is the end of the journey, and I'm kind of sad about it.

Mar 15, 7:53 AM

Oct 2017
The era of pouting ahem I mean humans have arrived. Fern truly incredible and cute. Serie might have had a deja vu of when Flamme brought Frieren to her when she saw Fern and she declined just like her master once did. Loved the Himmel x Frieren backstory, I just love em so much.

Man cant believe its ending with next episode. This has been a great journey with them the past six mnths.
MegamiRemMar 19, 3:20 AM
Mar 15, 8:22 AM

Jul 2012
I'll miss this show, only one ep left.

I love that Frieren do try and care so much to understand things, despite her lack of human tact. I also like that Richter is the one that repairs her staff and give credit where its due for how well taken-care of it has been up to that point.

Mar 15, 8:30 AM

Feb 2023
THE OST MAKES ME CRY EVERY TIME

"Bocchi the Rock!" - Ijichi Nijika

Mar 15, 8:30 AM
Sep 2015
This anime is very effective at telling the biggest story by using the least amount of energy. It's almost as if the team behind this creation lives as long as Frieren herself.
Mar 15, 8:33 AM
Dec 2023
This episode is very emotional, oh next week the last episode too, every meeting there must be a farewell, and every farewell doesn't need to involve death.
Mar 15, 8:38 AM
Jul 2023
Serie is cold as ever.

Another masterful episode of character interactions, even the the smallest of banter convey so much.
Mar 15, 8:44 AM

Feb 2021
0:13 He actually said "every day", not "every time"

Lawine is sad, even though she's the one that passed the exam. I SHIP IT. EDIT: No, it was Kanne who passed, sorry for a brain fart. I still ship it tho.
Maybe she should take a bit of her old staff, and make it a part of a new one somehow.
When you look at them, you can see that Stark and Fern got much closer, I love it.
Ah, the wholesomeness... The flashback with Heiter... My heart >_<
12:50 Falsch is incorrect, wrong, false (wow, poor guy)

Poor Lernen, why did Serie have to say it like that T_T
Ohhhh damn, so her suppressed mana is equal to Frieren's full mana! Crazy.
Ah, so it's just an interview. No wonder we got only 1 episode left then lol
15:52 Frieren: "From a long time ago" Fern: "Just how long ago is that?"

FERN LET'S GOOOOO

The next episode preview was menacing this time, with no text and only voices of a crowd. I guess the gang will continue their journey next episode. And a season 2 announcement right after that pls 🙏
EmbientMar 15, 10:27 AM
Mar 15, 8:45 AM

Apr 2010
Well this was a harsh exam Serie isn't easy to please.
At least she wasn't as harsh on Frieren and still decided to speak with her.
She was also pretty ok towards Fern even tho Fern declined her offer.
It was also a good thing to see something came out of this ordeal i feel sorry for the rest of the participants tho.
Dec 2022
good anime very peaceful :)
Oct 2019
Oh this magician, I would really hate that, Frieren, absolute goddess
Mar 15, 8:49 AM

Jul 2012
Reply to Mainnus
Serie is cold as ever.

Another masterful episode of character interactions, even the the smallest of banter convey so much.
@Mainnus She does look like some sort of lil miss badass haha
Mar 15, 8:49 AM
Oct 2019
God damm she was so harsh, feels bad for the other candidates but perhaps this is what they really needed to become the first class Mage.

I see now, Serie is just a Tsundere. lol

Next week is the Season Finale.
It feels like just yesterday we starting this journey 🥲
Mar 15, 8:59 AM

Jul 2012
We're near the end and this was still such an amazing episode.

Even though Richter is a minor character, he's so well developed. In small moments like this, we learn so much about him. He has such a cool skill too.

Lernen is another interesting character that's appeared. What a great name. And to be a student of Serie? I hope we'll see more of him. I'm in awe by how many great characters this story has.

The dialogue Frieren had with Serie, wow. It shows the contrast between the two mages. It's as if Frieren's become more humane because of her interactions with humans. I think my favorite moment is that flashback with how Himmel met Frieren, and when Himmel revealed why he chose Frieren. It was beautiful.
Mar 15, 9:00 AM

Nov 2018
Man even with little effort (no battle scene) they keep making each episode like this feel a complete 12 ep in one punch. Truly mad respect for author and Madhouse.

Also the Himmel kid scene with Frieren is so brilliantly romantic. I cannot express how much i loved that scene!
Mar 15, 9:01 AM

Oct 2007
congrats. Fern is now a first class mage.

sad for the others though.. they survived hell in the second exam only to be failed here.

and Richter is really skilled for fixing Fern's staff that got trashed.

just one more episode. Gonna miss this anime.
Liddo-kunMar 15, 9:04 AM
Mar 15, 9:03 AM

Jan 2009
fern is now a first class mage

cool that the staff of fern is fix too

also himmel knows frieren ever since he was a kid then

Jun 2021
Man the episode ended way too fast.

I like how Serie eliminated all the weak and undeserving mages (except Frieren ofcourse) so we already know that even if Lawine had pass the 2nd test, she would have fail anyway lol.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Jul 2016
The old guy nobody knows that routinely comes up to Stark just to go "There is nothing left for me to teach you" is an absolute gigachad. I'm calling it now - he's some OP mage that even Serie has some respect for or the equavalent for warriors, or something.

You can practically feel the smugness dripping from the line "If you can't fix it, then nevermind".

Wonder how Fern feels about officially being a higher class mage than her master, and whether Ubel and Wirbel will pass too.

Mar 2021
Congrats Fern on passing the exam she will be an amazing first class mage.
Mar 15, 9:06 AM

Jul 2011
Just need to explain to Frieren why something matters.

People realizing very, but very late in the game, that Frieren is too strong.

Frieren is just against the system. Fight the system! Even if you need it, to continue the journey.

Of those who still need to be tested, I just care about Denken.
Mar 15, 9:09 AM
Apr 2016
Huh? No way. only one episode left
Mar 15, 9:11 AM
Sep 2023
ITS SO FCKING PEAK.

I almost hate it because i gonna be so sad after this all end. We never gonna get anywhere near Frieren level of quality in storytelling. I hope i was wrong
Mar 15, 9:12 AM

Feb 2019
Only one more episode left of peak.. will Frieren keep the top spot all time!? Words can’t describe the sadness I’ll have when it’s gone next week. 😢

After the conclusion of the 2nd part of the exam, everyone’s got a little downtime. Sweet seeing Denken trying to give Richter a pep talk. I don’t think you can go through an exam with so many challenges like this and not become attached to people. Denken sees a lot of his younger self in Richter and I like that he encouraged him to try again in 3 years. Failing isn’t the end all be all, just an opportunity for growth!

Fern’s broken staff may seem like “trash” to richter, but it’s the most important thing Fern owns, a precious gift from her master and I’m really happy Frieren was able to get it fixed. “Frieren doesn’t understand me” “I don’t understand you either” 😭 this mf Stark got a death wish. One day he’ll learn how to talk to her lmao.

Well with only one episode to go I guess we’d have to start the third phase of the exam now. Who would’ve thought it would be an interview essentially. After all the perilous shit everyone’s been through this had to seem like a walk in the park, for those who don’t know Serie at least. Too bad she’s upset with the amount of people who got thru to this phase and wants to cull the numbers.

Poor Kanne might as well have just failed the second phase if she was gonna get instantly rejected like that lmaoo. Didn’t even get to open her mouth.

“Why’d you choose me?” “It had to be you” 😭 might be my new fave Himmel and Frieren interaction. It’s so beautiful that her favourite spell is that flower field just because Himmel liked it and it ultimately brought her together with her friends. It’s not just about the power of a spell, but the effect it has on people! Just like how Flamme loved the flower field as well even into her adult years.

Fern noticed the fluctuation in serie’s mana 😳 she truly is a prodigy. Can’t even imagine the heights she’ll reach one day.

Awesome episode, can’t wait for the finale
Marinate1016Mar 15, 9:50 AM
Mar 15, 9:19 AM

Mar 2023
The OST during the part where Fern gets back to the room to find th staff might be favorite from the series.
That was a neat way to tie in the flower spell and their different (conflicting) visions on magic. Teamwork vs Individuality.

Next: Time for Denken to pass as well. I'm guessing most that we didn't see fail this episode will have longer scenes than a simple you fail, next.
Mar 15, 9:19 AM

Apr 2020
Frieren is too cold. Whatever she thinks will happen, happens. Except when it comes to mimics maybe...
Mar 15, 9:26 AM
Dec 2023
Only one more episode left. This anime is of the best anime of all time for me.
Mar 15, 9:32 AM
Feb 2018
That's a sh*ttу assosiation if such a sh*ttу person leads it.
Oct 2019
Honestly, it's master piece, you really need to watch this show.
Jan 2024
good episode but missing something from the 3rd test
Mar 15, 9:37 AM

Mar 2013
I can't help but dislike that character, she simply failed them nonstop... 🥲
Fern has the right to reject her invitation... 😏
CrazyButNot4UMar 15, 9:40 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 15, 9:37 AM
Mar 2020
Very interisting awda;dasl;dlas
Mar 15, 9:40 AM
Jul 2021
very moving moments!
Mar 15, 9:41 AM

May 2010
I don't like how the exam is just random whim/mood/bias bs. Not just this 3rd part but the 2nd was as well.
Mar 15, 9:43 AM

May 2015
So if Serie's mana is fluctuating but this fluctuation is even less perceptible than that of Frieren's that means she has an even greater mastery over supressing her mana than Frieren does (even though she called it a useless skill to have). This way it is implied that she has even greater strength than that she is keeping up an appearence of (in this case she is almost like a goddess when it comes to mana pool) or she has actually less power and she is just god at inflating her apparent mana and that is why it seems fluctuating (though I think it is the less likely explanation).
IshitatesoMar 15, 9:59 AM
Mar 15, 9:47 AM
Dec 2023
It's just so good....
Mar 15, 9:53 AM
May 2021
Frieren is beyond peakkkkk
Mar 15, 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
More pouting Fern is always joy to watch.

Author knows what they are doing.

PiromyslMar 15, 10:05 AM

Mar 15, 9:58 AM

Oct 2018
Bro if Serie is suppressing her mana and it's that big, I don't want to see it at full strenght 😭😭😭😭
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 15, 10:05 AM
Jan 2022
I guess we finally found out that Okeanix is cosplaying Serie.
Mar 15, 10:07 AM

Feb 2008
You know after this episode, I really dislike Serie. She fails Frieren just out of absolute pettiness. Basically her excuse amounts to "I fail you because you think I would fail you no matter what." The overall result for the exam was fairly unsatisfying, thanks to Serie.

I don't even feel I can be happy about Fern passing cause Frieren not passing is so frustrating.
I am become bunny, fluffing of worlds.
Mar 15, 10:08 AM

Jun 2017
I don't want this masterpiece to end 😭😭😭
Mar 15, 10:10 AM

Jan 2018
Frieren can be a bit insensitive sometimes. Maybe she told Fern to buy another staff because for her it's not that old. Or she forgot how much it means to Fern. Either way, Heiter was right. She actually changed her mind and got the staff repaired for Fern. That was sweet.

Wow. Himmel actually met Frieren long before their adventure as a little boy. My only question is, how did he realize that the elf he met was Frieren and not someone else when he got older and wanted to recruit her? It's not as if she told him her name. Genuinely curious. The only possible explanation I can think of now is that there really aren't many white-haired elves in that world and Himmel found out about her after asking around for some time. I don't remember if that was the explanation given when Himmel recruited Frieren.

Most of the examinees failed including Frieren. But Fern actually passed. I think I was right about Fern surpassing Frieren.

Man, this episode was so peak. Genuinely almost shed tears. The music, the animation, the story, pretty much everything was perfect. I can't believe there's not one episode left. T_T I'm gonna miss this show so much. Never expected to love it this much.
Mar 15, 10:13 AM

Oct 2018
The structure of the ep is so godly done, everything pieces together so seamlessly.
And it seems like Denken was preparing books for Frieren knowing she will be here soon, hella of details.

Mar 15, 10:13 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to MarchinBunny
You know after this episode, I really dislike Serie. She fails Frieren just out of absolute pettiness. Basically her excuse amounts to "I fail you because you think I would fail you no matter what." The overall result for the exam was fairly unsatisfying, thanks to Serie.

I don't even feel I can be happy about Fern passing cause Frieren not passing is so frustrating.
@MarchinBunny If it makes you feel better, Frieren didn't care about passing either way and only entered to support Fern.

Also, Fern refusing Serie's offer specifically to stay with Frieren undoubtedly pissed Serie off, even if she doesn't show it.
Mar 15, 10:15 AM
Dec 2023
it was perfecto
it used every aspect of each character
Mar 15, 10:18 AM
Jul 2016
Least biased exam supervisor be like:
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

527 by nanajp »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

573 by SkullBug »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you consider frieren the best anime of all time? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AunixHOT - Apr 23

200 by Isaac_Randon »»
2 hours ago

» Land: Anime’s Greatest Glasses-Kun

Bolbysaur - 8 hours ago

7 by Bolona07 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

789 by Playcool »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.