Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 9, 2023 1:22 AM

Sep 2016
most of the time, weebs/otakus/anime fans are portrayed in anime and online as shy, introverted and a little geeky. tbh i am exactly like that haha ... but is this true? how do you feel about being represented in your favourite media as such? are you a loser irl, or are you cool?
(hope i did not offend anyone by posting this)
Feb 9, 2023 1:26 AM

Oct 2010
I'm your usual guy, I wouldn't say I'm shy but not that energetic around people either
in the end watching anime is just a cool past time, it shouldn't define one's personality
Feb 9, 2023 1:29 AM

Sep 2020
Depends, if I'm with people I'm unfamiliar with, then I will be shy and introvert, but if I'm with people I'm familiar with, then I will be energetic and talkative.
Feb 9, 2023 1:31 AM

Aug 2022
Umm idk, I'm kind of introverted. I don't have a problem interacting with anyone, and I do go out with friends a lot, but I still prefer being alone most of the time. I'm reserved when meeting new people, wouldn't say I'm shy I just hate small talk.
Feb 9, 2023 1:39 AM

Aug 2014
From my observation, we anime fans (male anime fans I mean), are tall, with great hair, muscular, and smooth-talkers
Feb 9, 2023 1:51 AM

Dec 2020
anime fans are usually normal people who watch it as a fun past time with the fat guy shy introverted otaku with anime girl figures being a rare percentage

have you ever seen a group of background characters in an anime? that's them. that's what anime fans actually look like
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Feb 9, 2023 1:52 AM

Jul 2019
hmmm, I'm introverted but not shy. I'm not afraid of talking with other people, but I prefer not to meet new people.
Feb 9, 2023 1:54 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah, i sort of fit the otaku stereotype. I generally like seeing characters who remind me of me, gives me someone to root for.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Feb 9, 2023 1:59 AM

Jun 2016
From my experiences with anime fans I'd say the stereotype is true to some extent. Around half of the fans I've met.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 9, 2023 2:26 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
As an introvert, I can assure you not every introvert is shy and reclusive like Bocchi
Feb 9, 2023 2:39 AM

Jan 2023
I'm an average dude, I'm not a loser and I'm not a cool famous guy. Basically I'm funny & chatty w/my friends or people I like and shy and smiley w/the ones I don't, I don't try to look cool because it isn't something I like ngl(I hate being under pressure

Profile   ●   Website

Feb 9, 2023 2:44 AM

Dec 2021
Yeah, I'd say I'm shy, introverted, and a bit geeky haha. Maybe not as extreme and loser-ish as in anime though. I'm a bit more outward-going than I was, let's say, two years ago. But I've always been kinda geeky ^_^

Feb 9, 2023 2:46 AM

Feb 2020
It depends. I can be both introvert and outrovert.
Feb 9, 2023 2:47 AM

Dec 2015
I don't know if I am that much of a weeb as I only watch anime and ocasionally play Nier [I don't like Visual Novels btw.] and I don't own any weird merch such as body pillows, figurines etc.
I'd agree with some degree of being shy but well I am also Polish, so I love to party, I love to drink, I love to dance while being drunk, I love to sing while being drunk, I like to interact and meet new people especially when I am drunk + there is one huge convent related lil bit with Anime where I've been twice and this year I'll go there again.
Guess what I haven't seen that much of nerdy looking people, majority of people I've seen there IRL where just good looking x) [I ain't having that much of buddies IRL who watch anime so I have to calibrate my view based on conventions and activities related only to anime as that convention is not only about anime]

So outside a weeb portrayal I'll also comment how Polish people are portrayed, dw I have a notebook file on pc with all Polish characters I've found so far [Yes I am archivising them]:
Emilia Edelman, Natalia Kamińska, Rico Brzeńska, Monika Kruszewska, Gabrelia Lotaryńska, Nearl Round Knight of Kazimierz, Lucyna Kushinada and there is more but just stated few names, well as Polish people have a Slavic [Dark Hairs] ethnicity and also a little bit Scandinavian [Blonde Hairs].
Before telling my own experience tried to make some research as all of the characters are Blonde or White haired which is weird, but it turns out that Poland has 86% of predispositions to be Blonde [ Predispositions not the population in fact]. Nonetheless I don't see that much od blonde people, especially male, cause female are quite often/usual when it comes to male it isn't that often to being seen, but there is a major damn mistake in all thos portrayals, They don't slur by saying Kurwa or anything in any situations aswell as they don't drink alcohol, as I don't recall seeing them doing that x(. + They Don't do stupid things.

In nutshell - Anime Weeb are normal people like others but instead of watching Tv Shows they just watch Anime. As simple as it is.

ZettaikenFeb 9, 2023 2:53 AM
Feb 9, 2023 2:50 AM

May 2019
i'm not shy at all since i have no shame in what i am or what i do, but i am very very reclusive and wrathful.
Feb 9, 2023 2:50 AM

Nov 2022
Depends really. I am introverted. Not too shy but not very keen to meet and befriend new people either.

I have flexibility in dealing with people.

May be I resemble Hei from Darker then Black.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Feb 9, 2023 3:01 AM

Dec 2013
One of the biggest issues an anime fan has, is conversing with people.
Reason why is, because he wants to talk about what he does most of the time, which is WATCHING ANIME.

Any other topics of conversation, are ones he finds boring, or lacks the confidence to form an opinion on.
At least that's my situation. Apart from that I'm a functional member of society, both at home and in the work place.
Feb 9, 2023 4:11 AM
Jul 2018
I don't identify with whatever stereotypes people portray of anime fans. Nor do I really care about how people I don't know present themselves. I'm living my own life. I personally think the real losers of the community are the ones who try to present themselves as not one. Because the ones they criticize don't care about what other people think.
Feb 9, 2023 4:32 AM

May 2018
Anime fans are of many sorts and like many others mentioned before most of them are casual watchers. When it comes to casuals it's the whole spectrum of all kinds of people so the shy, introverted geek is a little too specific of a archetype for that broad group. HOWEVER most of the more weeb/big time fans that I personally have been in contact with (and classify myself as one) tend to be more of the shy geek types. Also most or almost all of them would say the archetype doesn't bother them or funny/relatable even. But the characters in anime are usually caricatures so they ain't really in tune with reality as almost everyone who replied ahead of me have said.

Personally being the ambivert and fruity outspoken socialite the caricature of a super introvert isn't that relatable but small aspects are since like I basically never leave home except for work. kjeh
Feb 9, 2023 12:26 PM

Jul 2017
Most anime fans that I know of in real life are indeed on the geeky and introverted side, but that's just anecdotal evidence on my part. Not sure if that stereotype is universally true though, but I have a feeling that it might be.

Personally, I consider myself to be an ambivert in real life. I'm able to talk to a majority of strangers, and I love traveling, but I'm also not a fan of small talk in general. Talking about the weather and baby showers for example, always somehow induces me to change the topic lol.
Feb 9, 2023 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
I'm rather ambiverted, but I need a lot of time for myself too, so I keep the amount of people I'd count to my circle of people, who are close to me, quite low and I'm just on an irregular talking basis with some others.

Ronichko said:
One of the biggest issues an anime fan has, is conversing with people.
Reason why is, because he wants to talk about what he does most of the time, which is WATCHING ANIME.

Any other topics of conversation, are ones he finds boring, or lacks the confidence to form an opinion on.
At least that's my situation. Apart from that I'm a functional member of society, both at home and in the work place.

That's true for me especially when it comes to media.
I read less published books and watch less western TV than I watch anime and read manga and fanfiction.
It's not like I don't consume any western media or read published books, but people always expect you to know about this and that and if I don't care about it, I won't consume it for someone else either. If it sounds interesting, I will someday, but I don't force myself to consume it asap.
Feb 9, 2023 3:07 PM

Oct 2021
I'm kinda of an ambivert(meaning I'm standing in the middle of being an intorvert and extroverted) I don't have a problem interacting with people as much and I'm not that fixated or that committed to anime and I like getting lose and I'm not obese or thrilling to get murdered by bloody truck to be isikie. And have a pretty balanced lifestyle of course that depends on your perspective.
Feb 9, 2023 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
I'm shy, reclusive and introverted, yes. A loser? I suppose some might think that - it's not like I'm an ultra-obese neckbeard otaku but it's not like I'm a chad thundercock with everything going right in life. All in all i'm fairly inoffensive and not like the stereotypical neckbeard but some people might call me a bit of a hikkikomori which I agree with.
Compared to a lot of people my age I tend to just 'get on with things' and I have no doubt people think I'm weird because I'm extremely quiet.
Feb 9, 2023 3:28 PM

Mar 2018
Definitely a major introvert, not a big gamer, not a NEET, fairly nerdy. Not sure if I’m a loser or not, I have my life together and a decent salary but I think I’d still call myself a loser
Feb 9, 2023 4:43 PM

Feb 2021
Anime has all type of characters on them. 

The shy ones are just a few.
Feb 9, 2023 10:02 PM

Dec 2019
☑ Shy
☑ Introverted
☑ Geeky

Pretty much what describes me even before I got into anime although I used to be very energetic but that dwindled over time. Most of my friends at school are nerds like me lol.
Feb 10, 2023 3:59 AM

Oct 2022
i'm none of what was listed, but i don't know if i'm certified to call myself 'cool'

Feb 10, 2023 5:44 AM

Apr 2021
I'm shy and reserved around new people, but the moment I find common ground with someone, I'm getting talkative and very open. 
Super geeky when I'm around the right people, but mostly holding it back when it doesn't fit. 
And on a spectrum I would consider my appereance to be more on the attractive side, but I'm not acting much on it. It's not that I don't care cause I care very much, but insecurities are there nontheless. 

SakuraCheri said:
i'm none of what was listed, but i don't know if i'm certified to call myself 'cool'
u sure? Don't be too modest about this. Treat yourself to a self compliment. 
Feb 10, 2023 7:05 AM

Oct 2022
utopica said:
I'm shy and reserved around new people, but the moment I find common ground with someone, I'm getting talkative and very open. 
Super geeky when I'm around the right people, but mostly holding it back when it doesn't fit. 
And on a spectrum I would consider my appereance to be more on the attractive side, but I'm not acting much on it. It's not that I don't care cause I care very much, but insecurities are there nontheless. 

SakuraCheri said:
u sure? Don't be too modest about this. Treat yourself to a self compliment. 
i mean.. i'm just me. if that doesn't fall under the 'cool' category, then i'm fine with that. i'm just glad i can be my amazing self.

More topics from this board

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

81 by MakimaEnjoyer »»
4 minutes ago

» does anime makes you perfectionist?

deg - 40 minutes ago

6 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

25 by traed »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » suspension of disbelief and difference between reality and fiction, or too much fiction can make you delusional

deg - 2 hours ago

15 by kusairo »»
21 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Apr 29

27 by LoveYourEyes »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.