Forum Settings
Forums

which individual has the greatest character development in anime

New
Jan 14, 2023 6:44 PM

Aug 2021
In anime , i would say that Sasuke Uchiha has the greatest character development . He goes from being a criminal wanted by the 5 nations to Konoha's shadow hokage .
Jan 14, 2023 6:54 PM
Dec 2021
Mato Kuroi (Black Rock Shooter) went through the craziest psychological adventure just to save her friends.  
Jan 14, 2023 6:54 PM

May 2019
Leina Vance went from an introverted closed-off spoiled rich girl to an absolute self-made heroine queen that everyone around her loves and respects and this to me is the greatest character development in all of anime.

Jan 14, 2023 7:00 PM

May 2020
For me,

That would undoubtedly be Homura!!!

From a weakling to become the devil herself!!!

Such a great rise to darkness!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jan 14, 2023 7:25 PM

Aug 2018
My queen, Youko Nakajima.

Her character growth is amazing and so inspirational.
Jan 14, 2023 7:33 PM

Jul 2021
i'm gonna say rudeus from MT. there might be others but i can't remember at the moment.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 14, 2023 7:51 PM

Jan 2017
Hyakkimaru from Dororo, for reasons I can't really go into without a lot of spoilers.

Also Yuri Katsuki from Yuri on Ice, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Appare Sorano from Appare-Ranman!
オタク? 私はそのことが私がかわいいと思う!
Jan 14, 2023 8:09 PM

Aug 2019
Definitely Subaru and EMT from rezero. If you've seen/read arc4 then you know why.

Jan 14, 2023 8:34 PM

Oct 2017
I would say Johnny Joestar once Steel Ball Run gets an anime adaptation. To directly quote him, the whole story of Steel Ball Run is "The tale of me starting to walk. Not in the physical sense, but in an adolescence to adulthood sort of way."  Johnny was left in a wheelchair due to karma hitting him for his ego getting too big when he was a famous jockey, when he is shot while on a date with a girl after cutting someone in line. He pretty much lost everything until he met Gyro and joined the race, in where he made a connection with someone that changed his life for the better teaching him not only the tools he needed to survive the craziness happening in the race but giving him someone who truly cared about him for who he was and not for his status. I think by the end of the story his physical and personal growth is very evident, and it really made me happy to see him brought up in Jojolion where we see a little bit of what happened to him after his adventure ended. I can't wait to see his story animated in a few years' time. 
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 14, 2023 8:34 PM

Oct 2013
Probably thorfinn, but i need to watch/read vinland saga to be sure.
Jan 14, 2023 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, the 'real' answer probably belongs to a character from a Shonen anime/manga series, just because of how they usually have characters that are given a lot of issues/episodes to work with. Someone mentioned Sasuke as a good example, and I'd agree. 

Jan 14, 2023 10:58 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Bakugou Katsuki. If you've read the manga you get it.
Jan 14, 2023 11:12 PM

Sep 2010
Realistically I'd say it's Taiga Aisaka, she goes from hopeless violent coomer to being the perfect wife material.
Jan 14, 2023 11:20 PM

Dec 2019
I think thorfinn from vinland saga personally 
Jan 14, 2023 11:22 PM

Aug 2018
Suryaaps said:
Definitely Subaru and EMT from rezero. If you've seen/read arc4 then you know why.
sorry but season 2/arc4 set subaru's development back to zero. He went right back to being the obnoxious jerk who constantly talks out his ass.
Jan 14, 2023 11:24 PM

Aug 2020
Here to say Kageyama "Mobu" Shigeo first. Oh, Inspector Lunge and Eva Heinemann as well.
TRC_RandyJan 14, 2023 11:28 PM
Jan 15, 2023 2:41 AM

Dec 2021
Objectively, it's Ken Kaneki
He has split personality and each of those personalities develop in it's own unique way
Anteiku Kaneki accepts his Monster side to protect his loved ones, Post-Anteiku Kaneki realizes the problem with getting stronger, Haise overcomes his weakness to confront his past, Black Reaper learns that it's useless to die a heroic death and One Eyed King realizes the True Duty and Responsibility of a Ruler. His main development was when he initially believed that the WORLD IS WRONG and the end of the series he says, "THE WORLD IS JUST"
His entire Journey is so complex he is by far the only FIVE DIMENSIONAL CHARACTER in all of fiction
Even the secondary Characters such as Touka, Tsukiyama, Hinami, Urie, Saiko, Suzuya and probably 80 percent of Tokyo Ghoul's Secondary cast has more development than every single Shounen Character you can ever think of

However, it's difficult to choose any Anime Character from any of my favorites
We have Shinichi from Parasyte, Homura from Madoka Magica, Phos from Houseki no Kuni, Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell, every character in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Thorfinn from Vinland Saga, the two brothers from Space Brothers etc

I SIMPLY CAN'T CHOOSE because all my favorites are Objective Masterpieces
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Jan 15, 2023 2:51 AM

Nov 2017
I'd say Gon Freecss from HxH and Yabuki Joe from Ashita no Joe. Especially the latter one, which I came to really like when watching the anime (after having read the manga once). His evolution and how he becomes mature is really impressive and seems pretty natural to see.
Jan 15, 2023 3:04 AM

Oct 2018
Kiriyama Rei from Sangatsu no Lion and Ikari Shinji
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jan 15, 2023 3:06 AM
Jun 2022
tchitchouan said:
Leina Vance went from an introverted closed-off spoiled rich girl to an absolute self-made heroine queen that everyone around her loves and respects and this to me is the greatest character development in all of anime.

Who is Leina Vance and what kind of face mask is that?
Jan 15, 2023 3:08 AM

Nov 2022
Lelouch CC and Suzaku in Code Geass.

Beato in Umineko

They really grow with the show and become much more experienced people by the end.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 15, 2023 3:10 AM

May 2019
NoblesseEssentia said:
Who is Leina Vance and what kind of face mask is that?

Leina Vance is the main character and leading protagonist of the Queen's Blade Franchise and she wears a mask in Rebellion to hide her identity as she wishes to be known as Maria after her late mother.

Jan 15, 2023 3:10 AM

Aug 2018
Phosphophyllita said:
Kiriyama Rei from Sangatsu no Lion
when rei opened the curtains at the first episode of season 2 apparently with a new outlook on life I remember thinking to myself: "wait, when did this happen? Did I miss something?". To me it seemed too sudden, as if someone had flipped a switch rather than gradual character growth.
Jan 15, 2023 3:34 AM

Apr 2019
Now that Vinland Saga season 2 has started airing, I can confidently say that by the end of the season Thorfinn would be one of the most well developed character in all of anime.
Jan 15, 2023 3:34 AM

Aug 2012
Personally, I really like the character development of Yona from Akatsuki no Yona. She goes from a sheltered and spoiled know-nothing princess to a young woman having to face the reality of what kind of a failure of a ruler her father was in how he let their kingdom down as whole all the while missing him while on the run and trying to survive. She becomes a stronger person and one who wouldn't fail her kingdom in the same way in which her father did were she to sit on the throne. However, Yona becomes more focused on helping the kingdom that is suffering from her fathers neglect rather than attempting to take back her rightful place on the throne from her cousin who assassinated her father because he was trying to save the kingdom (even throwing away the relationships he had with his childhood friends Hak and Yona to do what he saw as his duty and save the people. There is really fabulous character growth in so many characters in this series though the manga goes more in depth and expands upon that growth so I highly recommend it).
Jan 15, 2023 3:44 AM

Feb 2014
^ Yona I agree too

Angelise Ikaruga Misurugi from Cross Ange is my answer
“When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good, other things become bad.”
Jan 15, 2023 5:04 AM

Oct 2018
epidemia78 said:
Phosphophyllita said:
when rei opened the curtains at the first episode of season 2 apparently with a new outlook on life I remember thinking to myself: "wait, when did this happen? Did I miss something?". To me it seemed too sudden, as if someone had flipped a switch rather than gradual character growth.
Then I recommend you to watch it again because Rei's development happens step by step, each episode he changes a little bit until he's finally a new character.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jan 15, 2023 5:19 AM

Aug 2018
thorfin for me any day of the week. the author got a guts for giving him such a huge development that cause a big change on the story itself. 

still having great time with my stuff
Jan 15, 2023 5:23 AM

Aug 2021
In my mere opinion, Jolyne from Jojo has great character development.

Jan 15, 2023 5:33 AM

Oct 2021
I would say Rudeus Greyrat and Katsuki Bakugou.
Jan 15, 2023 5:48 AM

Oct 2022
Umm... It's really hard to say.
But I would say it's Johnny. He is ego centric piece of crap and got into wheelchair because of it. After he met Gyro, he slowly mature as story go by and he's pretty much my fav protagonist soo far.
Jan 15, 2023 6:14 AM

Mar 2021
I would say its Sakata gintoki
His character progression is remarkable

LSSJ_Gaming said:
I would say Johnny Joestar once Steel Ball Run gets an anime adaptation. To directly quote him, the whole story of Steel Ball Run is "The tale of me starting to walk. Not in the physical sense, but in an adolescence to adulthood sort of way."  Johnny was left in a wheelchair due to karma hitting him for his ego getting too big when he was a famous jockey, when he is shot while on a date with a girl after cutting someone in line. He pretty much lost everything until he met Gyro and joined the race, in where he made a connection with someone that changed his life for the better teaching him not only the tools he needed to survive the craziness happening in the race but giving him someone who truly cared about him for who he was and not for his status. I think by the end of the story his physical and personal growth is very evident, and it really made me happy to see him brought up in Jojolion where we see a little bit of what happened to him after his adventure ended. I can't wait to see his story animated in a few years' time. 

Rare to see johnny appreciation as majority of sbr fans are either gyro or valentine followers
Jan 15, 2023 6:35 AM

Dec 2019
Phosphophyllite from Houseki no Kuni 
Jan 15, 2023 7:15 AM
Aug 2021
Depends how you define "great", you could mean either which one changes the most or whose development was the best written, or the most resonant, or a lotta other things. I'm just gonna assume you mean my favorite ones tbh. 

Also I'm gonna assume you mean in all of anime-related media for this one because I can't meatride hakomari otherwise. So yeah, all three mcs in hakomari have great development and character arcs, but my favourite one has to be, without a doubt, Kazuki Hoshino. The way he starts out, and the way it's laid out WHY he starts out that way, and the absolutely insane way he changes, and how it's presented to the reader, and how much relevance it holds to the overall narrative- simply unparalleled, greatest of all time. Maria is really good too, and she develops in a much more down-to-earth, easy to connect with manner, and it holds so much significance to the average human, another Mikage masterclass.

I'd like to add Kurosawa from Onani Master Kurosawa too, because while in concept it isn't really anything innovative, the execution of his development had me crying the whole last 12 or so chapters. Maybe I shouldn't be relating so much to a guy who ejaculates on his classmates belongings, but it's not my fault he's the goat
Jan 15, 2023 7:45 AM

Aug 2018
For real! Homura's simply awesome.
Jan 15, 2023 9:44 AM

Apr 2018
I really liked the Phos character development in season 1 kinda like Kaneki but mature like a real person.

Jan 15, 2023 9:58 AM

Apr 2018
epidemia78 said:
Phosphophyllita said:
That girl I think  Hina had more development than the main character.

Jan 15, 2023 10:42 AM

Apr 2020
Popp from Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jan 15, 2023 11:06 AM
作画

Nov 2019
Houseki no Kuni's Phosphophyllite

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1135 by Mr_Duke_ »»
3 seconds ago

» Is anime too mainstream? ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Sep 18

75 by TheeAnimeGod »»
1 minute ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - 4 hours ago

33 by Lincompoop »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Yesterday

52 by Raajdeep »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

13 by SoldierDream »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.