Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 18, 5:35 AM

May 2024
Anime keeps becoming more and more popular worldwide. We're getting more shows than ever before and it seems the majority of them are targeted towards newer and more casual fans. Do you think that's had a positive or negative impact on the medium? And do you think its popularity will die out over time or will it keep getting increasingly more popular until it solidifies its position in mainstream media?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 5:37 AM

Feb 2020
Most people don't watch anime, so no.
Sep 18, 5:41 AM

May 2024
Reply to Serafos
@Serafos I mean, most people don't watch live-action tv shows either, most people don't read books, etc, that doesn't mean these media aren't mainstream. You can ask the average person if they know of anime or have come across anime shows or films before, and they'd probably say yes.
Sep 18, 5:42 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@Serafos I mean, most people don't watch live-action tv shows either, most people don't read books, etc, that doesn't mean these media aren't mainstream. You can ask the average person if they know of anime or have come across anime shows or films before, and they'd probably say yes.
@SimplyBrazen Live-action shows and books are definitely more popular.
Sep 18, 5:44 AM

Jun 2024
Yes, gatekeepers snoozed and now anime is ruined.
Sep 18, 5:47 AM

Jul 2015
Anime going fully mainstream is the worst thing that could ever happen to community and industry.

Sep 18, 5:48 AM

May 2024
Reply to Serafos
@SimplyBrazen Live-action shows and books are definitely more popular.
@Serafos Of course, I was just pointing out that you don't need literally everyone on Earth to watch anime in order for it to be considered too mainstream.
Sep 18, 5:52 AM

Sep 2016
Not necessarily, unless the content is considerably swayed by the prude moralists within the mainstream.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 18, 5:54 AM

Feb 2020
Mainstream or not, personally I don't stress too much about it. I still love watching anime, and that's the most important thing. :3
Sep 18, 5:55 AM

May 2024
Reply to Zarutaku
Not necessarily, unless the content is considerably swayed by the prude moralists within the mainstream.
@Zarutaku Don't you think that's slowly happening? With companies like Disney getting involved and whatnots.
Sep 18, 5:56 AM

Apr 2012
It can never be too mainstream. No person on this planet should be denied Princess Tutu.
Sep 18, 5:56 AM

Jan 2009
#AnimeGateKeepers hates that idea because of wokeism
degSep 18, 6:01 AM
Sep 18, 5:58 AM

Jun 2024
Well in France they already a mainstream way back the 80s that's most our cartoons are direct influence on anime, that's why we don't surprised that much.
Sep 18, 6:04 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@Zarutaku Don't you think that's slowly happening? With companies like Disney getting involved and whatnots.
@SimplyBrazen I guess partly and this trend should be countered. The content shouldn't adapt to the prude moralists, but they should adapt to content.
Sep 18, 6:13 AM
Oct 2023
While we are getting more shows than ever, I don't think the majority of them are targeted towards casual fans. I can always find CGDCT any season and usually it is with some sort of mundane sport or club that isn't mainstream at all. However popular shows are popular so that will cater towards the casual fans. I don't think it has had much of an impact on the overall medium, but if the genre are the same, you will get variants of the genre to explore or "milk" the interest. Bocchi the Rock and the Yoru Kara or Girls Band Cry come to mind for me as the most recent rise of a trending theme.

Anime will probably trend down in popularity over time as I don't think the young folk are watching as much, at least compared to me when I first saw Pokemon, Yugioh, Dragonball or even Naruto on television, but the medium will definitely leave an influence longer than the work. Examples are if Vtubers, Gacha games or light novels outlast or supersede the anime genre, you can definitely see anime's influence on the latest media trend for a decent while.
Sep 18, 6:14 AM

Sep 2020
It's not mainstream from our perspective as hardcore fans. But if you ask average joe who considers anime just another "cartoon" then yes, a lot of people know about Japanese "cartoons". I could approach any average Joe on the street and ask if he ever watched Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon and I'm sure the answer would be yes.

Is anime going mainstream good for industry overall? Absolutely. It means more money from investors which equals higher quality anime. Before video games went mainstream you had 20k budget games made in someone's basement. Soon, you will get GTA 6 that costs over $2 billion to make. Sure, just like in games, you will get plenty of dogshit anime in the future, but the ones that are good will surpass our expectations in terms of animation quality, sound design etc. Even watching the teasers for 2025 anime, I'm mindblown how good the animation quality is.
Sep 18, 6:31 AM

Apr 2011

@SimplyBrazen

"We're getting more shows than ever before"

Do you have some data to back up that claim?

Also, anime has been mainstream in the West since the 1980s and 1990s.
IKKIsamaSep 18, 6:38 AM
Sep 18, 6:36 AM

May 2024
Reply to IKKIsama

@SimplyBrazen

Do you have some data to back up that claim?

Also, anime has been mainstream in the West since the 1980s and 1990s.
@IKKIsama Mainstream is considered sth so popular that it becomes normal. Anime in the west was not considered remotely conventional until the late 2010's.

IKKIsama said:

Do you have any data to back up that claim?

MAL data is enough. Just search up the seasonal number of shows from the past and compare.
Sep 18, 6:45 AM

Apr 2011
In my country (France) anime is mainstream since the late 1970s when UFO Robot Grendizer became a huge hit. Every French person in their 30s or 40s watched anime when they were kids or teens.

From what I gather it's mainstream in the US since the 1990s when DBZ aired on TV there.

MAL recently started to include chinese anime so these new seasons can't be compared with past numbers.
IKKIsamaSep 18, 6:53 AM
Sep 18, 6:52 AM

May 2024
IKKIsama said:
MAL numbers include chinese anime now so they're hardly reliable.

Chinese anime are listed as ONA. So it's not like they get in the way of counting how many TV anime are released in each season.

IKKIsama said:
In my country (France) anime is mainstream since the late 1970s when UFO Robot Grendize became a hg hit. from what I gather it's mainstream in the US since the 1990s when DBZ aired on TV there.

Again, people knowing of sth does not constitute to it being mainstream. Anime shows were broadcasted all over Europe as early as the 70's due to how cheap their licenses were for western broadcasting channels, however they were always treated as bottom tier cartoons and people generally used to look down upon its hardcore fans. I know this as it was the case for my country Albania as well. We all grew up with anime, but no one was so involved with anime back then that it could smh be considered mainstream. Anime didn't become accepted until the 2010's. Prejudice does not allow for media to become mainstream.
Sep 18, 6:58 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Most people will not admit IRL to watching animoo. But anime is really popular worldwide. Almost as popular as video games. Visit any hentai website and each show will have millions of views.
Sep 18, 7:04 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to kutuya
Yes, gatekeepers snoozed and now anime is ruined.
@kutuya
True, the gate wasnt kept hard enough
Sep 18, 7:13 AM

Aug 2019
Yes. And modern anime lacks the creativity of anime from the mid 2010s and earlier, 99% of it is just the same stuff regurgitated to appeal to new mainstream fans.
beugmeisterSep 18, 7:17 AM

Sep 18, 7:16 AM

May 2018
1. No
2. Why do you care?
Does having random strangers across the world engage with you hobby really bother you that much? You don't own the medium.
Sep 18, 7:26 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to SimplyBrazen
IKKIsama said:
MAL numbers include chinese anime now so they're hardly reliable.

Chinese anime are listed as ONA. So it's not like they get in the way of counting how many TV anime are released in each season.

IKKIsama said:
In my country (France) anime is mainstream since the late 1970s when UFO Robot Grendize became a hg hit. from what I gather it's mainstream in the US since the 1990s when DBZ aired on TV there.

Again, people knowing of sth does not constitute to it being mainstream. Anime shows were broadcasted all over Europe as early as the 70's due to how cheap their licenses were for western broadcasting channels, however they were always treated as bottom tier cartoons and people generally used to look down upon its hardcore fans. I know this as it was the case for my country Albania as well. We all grew up with anime, but no one was so involved with anime back then that it could smh be considered mainstream. Anime didn't become accepted until the 2010's. Prejudice does not allow for media to become mainstream.
@SimplyBrazen There will always be some prejudice towards the most hardcore fans or some aspects of the medium (even in Japan, mind you), but the fact anime has been watched by most young people for decades means it was already mainstream.
Sep 18, 7:29 AM

Oct 2013
Maybe. I honestly don't care either way. I'm not someone who takes pride in liking these niche things that others don't. I'm smart enough to know it's impossible for me to control what is and isn't popular or "mainstream". And I understand more fans means more money for the industry. Which is ultimately a good thing if you want the thing you like to continue existing. I seriously question if people who would rather something die than become mainstream can even be considered fans. Things are going to change no matter what. "Gatekeeping" media is for delusional people who just want to feel special about the things they consume. And I don't care of me saying any of this pisses anyone off. Maybe don't base your entire personality around your hobbies.
Sep 18, 7:29 AM

May 2015
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@IKKIsama Mainstream is considered sth so popular that it becomes normal. Anime in the west was not considered remotely conventional until the late 2010's.

IKKIsama said:

Do you have any data to back up that claim?

MAL data is enough. Just search up the seasonal number of shows from the past and compare.
@SimplyBrazen yeah except the MAL data doesn't back up your claim. Just a small sample

Fall 2000 20 new shows
Fall 2005 34 new shows
Fall 2010 37 new shows
Fall 2015 70 new shows
Fall 2020 62 new shows
Fall 2024 70 new shows.

Aside from a massive jump in 2015 the amount of new shows has been consistent for the past 10 years
Sep 18, 7:32 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to billybub
@SimplyBrazen yeah except the MAL data doesn't back up your claim. Just a small sample

Fall 2000 20 new shows
Fall 2005 34 new shows
Fall 2010 37 new shows
Fall 2015 70 new shows
Fall 2020 62 new shows
Fall 2024 70 new shows.

Aside from a massive jump in 2015 the amount of new shows has been consistent for the past 10 years
@billybub Thanks, that's what I thought. There's only so much anime that can be made.
Sep 18, 7:49 AM

May 2024
Reply to animegamer245
1. No
2. Why do you care?
Does having random strangers across the world engage with you hobby really bother you that much? You don't own the medium.
@animegamer245 Perhaps learn to read before getting defensive, I was just asking some questions to get some opinions.
Sep 18, 7:52 AM

May 2024
Reply to billybub

Fall 2000 20 new shows
Fall 2005 34 new shows
Fall 2010 37 new shows
Fall 2015 70 new shows
Fall 2020 62 new shows
Fall 2024 70 new shows.

@billybub The number of new anime is consistently higher each decade. The anime hype didn't just start out of nowhere, it gradually increased over decades, and everything after the 2010's proves that. I'm just saying that number will continue to increase and is currently at its all-time height.
Sep 18, 7:52 AM

Nov 2020
I mean most new anime fans only watch the top 1% of the top 1%, the core anime community that existed 10 or even 20 years ago is still alive and well on sites just like this. A lot of people in this thread keep fearmongering for whatever reason that it growing in popularity will somehow change anime fundamentally, but when looking at the past 7-8 years that just hasn't happened. Japanese audiences are the core demographic and that is still and always will be true. New anime fans will just stick to their jujutsu kaisens, dragonballs and one pieces.

Even for the argument of "oh the quality dropped as it's gotten more popular" or "anime isn't as creative as it once was", it's disingenuous to blame those solely on anime getting more popular. Corporations want to cut costs anywhere they can so modern anime having bigger budgets than ever this is especially true, and more creative works works are very risky and given the current state of anime studios, they only want to make what they know will make them money.

All in all, who cares. You can like anime in the 2000s or 2020s, you're still the loser sitting in the corner alone.
ngl punpun was a bit of an asshole
right wing extremist (chud ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”)

Sep 18, 7:58 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Anime becoming mainstream is a good thing in my opinion, it means anime is more easily accessible than if it weren't popular at all :)

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Sep 18, 8:10 AM

Aug 2012
I do not feel it is too mainstream. I know anime isn't as considered to be nerdy or geeky since most people seem to embrace it more nowadays publicly.

Sep 18, 8:21 AM

Jul 2021
"I hope your hobby becomes popular" is considered a curse where I come from.
Sep 18, 8:27 AM

May 2015
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@billybub The number of new anime is consistently higher each decade. The anime hype didn't just start out of nowhere, it gradually increased over decades, and everything after the 2010's proves that. I'm just saying that number will continue to increase and is currently at its all-time height.
@SimplyBrazen the all time high for new shows in the past decade was Spring of 2017 with 90. Spring 2024 had 66. The amount of new shows was consistently in the 30's from 2000-2014, spiked in 2015 to 60 and has remained consistent ever since.
Sep 18, 8:32 AM

May 2024
Reply to billybub
@SimplyBrazen the all time high for new shows in the past decade was Spring of 2017 with 90. Spring 2024 had 66. The amount of new shows was consistently in the 30's from 2000-2014, spiked in 2015 to 60 and has remained consistent ever since.
@billybub And it will spike again. It's a growing trend. Then again, not my point.
Sep 18, 8:53 AM

May 2018
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@animegamer245 Perhaps learn to read before getting defensive, I was just asking some questions to get some opinions.
@SimplyBrazen
SimplyBrazen said:
I was just asking some questions to get some opinions.
I mean the fact that you asked it to begin with means you yourself are concerned about it. Nobody asks a question like this just to ask it.
Sep 18, 9:19 AM

May 2024
animegamer245 said:
Nobody asks a question like this just to ask it.

I do. What can I say I'm a curious guy...
Sep 18, 9:35 AM

May 2015
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@billybub And it will spike again. It's a growing trend. Then again, not my point.
@SimplyBrazen there is no evidence whatsoever that the number of shows per season will spike again, and having a consistent amount of shows every year for the past decade in no way represents a growing trend.

The entire basis of your argument is anime has become more popular resulting in more shows per season, which is empirically false. On top of that you claim these new shows are catered towards a "newer and more casual audience" which also has no basis in fact.
Sep 18, 9:47 AM

May 2024
billybub said:
there is no evidence whatsoever that the number of shows per season will spike again, and having a consistent amount of shows every year for the past decade in no way represents a growing trend.

The entire basis of your argument is anime has become more popular resulting in more shows per season, which is empirically false.

The growth of a medium is not measured over 1 decade, it's measured over multiple. 1 decade is nowhere near enough for such evaluations.

billybub said:
On top of that you claim these new shows are catered towards a "newer and more casual audience" which also has no basis in fact.

The amount of recycled and oversaturated anime with the same tropes and plot development is a direct indicator of it. It's the same reason why the 90's were filled with OVA's, they were more popular and profitable. Newer and casual fans are drawn to this.
Sep 18, 9:56 AM

Jul 2021
Yes, anime is becoming more popular. I'm here, after all. I've been around anime for pretty much my whole life and only got into it when Demon Slayer became impossible to avoid.

Not sure if you're implying that becoming mainstream is a bad thing. Clearly a lot of people here are doing that anyway.
Sep 18, 10:12 AM

May 2024
perseii said:
Not sure if you're implying that becoming mainstream is a bad thing. Clearly a lot of people here are doing that anyway.

Despite ppl saying that, I'm not implying it's a bad thing. That's why I asked multiple questions in the OP. Either way I think the polarity of the topic is interesting to see.
Sep 18, 10:20 AM

May 2015
Reply to SimplyBrazen
billybub said:
there is no evidence whatsoever that the number of shows per season will spike again, and having a consistent amount of shows every year for the past decade in no way represents a growing trend.

The entire basis of your argument is anime has become more popular resulting in more shows per season, which is empirically false.

The growth of a medium is not measured over 1 decade, it's measured over multiple. 1 decade is nowhere near enough for such evaluations.

billybub said:
On top of that you claim these new shows are catered towards a "newer and more casual audience" which also has no basis in fact.

The amount of recycled and oversaturated anime with the same tropes and plot development is a direct indicator of it. It's the same reason why the 90's were filled with OVA's, they were more popular and profitable. Newer and casual fans are drawn to this.
SimplyBrazen said:
The growth of a medium is not measured over 1 decade, it's measured over multiple. 1 decade is nowhere near enough for such evaluations

This is called moving the goalpost. Over the past 1/4 century the amount of shows per season has roughly doubled, with one major spike followed by 10 years of consistency with an actual downtrend over the past 7

SimplyBrazen said:
The amount of recycled and oversaturated anime with the same tropes and plot development is a direct indicator of it. It's the same reason why the 90's were filled with OVA's, they were more popular and profitable. Newer and casual fans are drawn to this

This is provably false, you can literally go back through the past 20 years and see the same cycles of "tropes" and recycled ideas

90's OVA's were nowhere near as popular or profitable compared to anything on air. They were always extremely niche and it was extremely difficult to come across store that even rented them. No new or casual fan had any clue what something like Urotsukidouji was let alone would go out of their way to find a place that rented it.
billybubSep 18, 10:29 AM
Sep 18, 10:26 AM

Apr 2011
In my country it will likely never be mainstream.
And thank God for that.
Sep 18, 10:28 AM

Jan 2021
It's very mainstream and I don't mind it

I don't care about the garbage that's being put out since good anime is already here and we have enough of it
Sep 18, 10:47 AM

Feb 2016
An increase in fans leads to a better experience for fans, because it means anime are more likely to be translated. Many titles that interest me remain difficult to find in English.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Sep 18, 10:51 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Cammell
It's very mainstream and I don't mind it

I don't care about the garbage that's being put out since good anime is already here and we have enough of it
@Cammell bro, it's not. In my country, most (if not all) refer to anime as childish cartoons. Like, I'm not even kidding.
Sep 18, 11:00 AM
May 2023
Anime is no more the niche media that we used to love even great shows or sort of unpopular (out of mainstream spotlight) shows are getting ruined by stinky toxic casuals, who fight over mediocre battle shonen like children apparantly. I actually don't really have any problem with new fans, I mean it's their internet their choice but I don't like the childish ones
Sep 18, 11:04 AM
May 2023
Reply to Ciuvaz
@Cammell bro, it's not. In my country, most (if not all) refer to anime as childish cartoons. Like, I'm not even kidding.
@Ciuvaz Apparently it's a good thing, Cause even in my country PPL used to call it childish and stuff, I think it was good that way but now it's completely ruined by some weirdos here. My feed is filled with weird anime shitposts
Sep 18, 11:09 AM
May 2023
Reply to Serafos
@Serafos Well in my country they do watch nowadays, The haters are so fickle, My friend used to make fun of anime and stuff before and now the same dude is watching anime and likes shows like AOT and Death Parade
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

40 by SwordBreaker36 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 8 hours ago

23 by Mualani »»
2 minutes ago

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

11 by eblf2013 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

8 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 10 hours ago

24 by Lost_Viking »»
11 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.