Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 3, 2023 8:08 AM
Oct 2020
What has been your surprisingly good and disappointingly underwhelming anime of 2022.

Mine is 

Surprisingly Good: Paripi Koumei

Disappointing : Lycoris Recoil 
Jan 3, 2023 8:11 AM

Feb 2022
Surprise:yofukashi no uta
disappointment: spy x fookin trash, absolute filth. Only way to improve it:-

With a special visit to anya from:

ChouunShiryuuJan 3, 2023 8:24 AM
Jan 3, 2023 8:13 AM

Jan 2019
surprisingly good was bocchi the rock for me
disappointment was chainsaw man. overhyped up the ass
Jan 3, 2023 8:13 AM

Mar 2021
sequels:
surprise: Date A Live IV, Bleach
disappointment: shield hero, COTE S2, Overlord IV, Devil is a part timer, love live superstar s2

new show
surprise: bocchi the rock
disappointment: arknights, tomodachi game, g-witch, tokyo 24
Jan 3, 2023 8:18 AM

Feb 2021
I was surprised by More than a married couple, but not lovers. and disappointed by I'm Quitting Heroing.

The others I pretty much expected what I got, including Bocchi.
Jan 3, 2023 8:18 AM

Sep 2020
Surprise: Warau Arsnotoria Sun! , Akiba Meido Sensou, and Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman.

Disappointment: Date a live s4, Uzaki s2, and Primal doll
Jan 3, 2023 8:21 AM

Feb 2020
Surprised by:
- Do It Yourself!!
- Estab Life: Great Escape
- Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja
- Shachiku-san wa Youjo Yuurei ni Iyasaretai.
- Shine Post
- Tensei shitara Ken Deshita

Disappointed by:
- Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story
- Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall
- Delicious Party♡Precure
- Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou
- Sabikui Bisco
- Yama no Susume: Next Summit

SerafosJan 3, 2023 8:24 AM
Jan 3, 2023 8:27 AM

Mar 2021
takamono said:
Surprise: Warau Arsnotoria Sun! , Akiba Meido Sensou, and Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman.

Bait. DAL IV had a massive jump in ratings and dominated polls for spring. Uzaki chan also had a ratings jump

Warau Arsnotoria Sun! has such a low mal rating, no way is that a good surprise
Jan 3, 2023 8:33 AM

Jun 2022
Surprise: Pui Pui Molcar: Driving School
Disappointment: Cyberpunk Edgerunners (I could never tell what the plot was about, but then again, I have never played the game before and do not plan to either).
Jan 3, 2023 8:34 AM

Sep 2020
icefirestone23 said:
takamono said:

Bait. DAL IV had a massive jump in ratings and dominated polls for spring. Uzaki chan also had a ratings jump

Ratings has nothing to do with my enjoyment on those shows
Also I read the light novels of Date a live, s4 is not as good as the corresponding part of it, and I'm also disappointed with s3.
Jan 3, 2023 8:34 AM

Jul 2013
Surprise: Don't Hurt me, My Healer

Disappointments: Honestly... Aside from that less than spectacular finale that was Rikekoi s2... none

Jan 3, 2023 8:37 AM

Mar 2021
Surprisingly good - My dress up darling
Surprisingly bad - Urusei yatsura

Unsurprisingly good - Made in abyss 2
Unsurprisingly bad - Bleach
Jan 3, 2023 8:42 AM

Mar 2021
takamono said:
icefirestone23 said:

Also I read the light novels of Date a live, s4 is not as good as the corresponding part of it, and I'm also disappointed with s3.
The only thing they cut was the shrine visit in vol 15, but let's be honest that wasn't that important. Sure the cgi kind of sucked but it is so rampant in anime nowadays. It was arguably the most enjoyable show of spring due to lack of filler, fast pacing, eventful occurences which explains it doing so well on corner. Of course the new gens tried to vote kaguya and spy x like crazy and ignore any criticism.
Jan 3, 2023 8:57 AM

Sep 2020
icefirestone23 said:
takamono said:
The only thing they cut was the shrine visit in vol 15, but let's be honest that wasn't that important. Sure the cgi kind of sucked but it is so rampant in anime nowadays. It was arguably the most enjoyable show of spring due to lack of filler, fast pacing, eventful occurences which explains it doing so well on corner. Of course the new gens tried to vote kaguya and spy x like crazy and ignore any criticism.
Actually the only season of Date a live I really enjoy is s1, s2 is alright, s3 is really bad, s4 is alright, if the action scenes in s4 are like s1 then I would have enjoyed more.
For spring, I like Kaguya s3 and Spy x Family more than Date a live s4.
Jan 3, 2023 9:05 AM

Aug 2010
Surprisingly good: Raven of the Inner Palace, Paripi Koumei, Dance Dance Danseur, Baraou no Souretsu (very bad start but it got better eventuelly)

Surprisingly disappointing: Shield hero s2, Chainsawman (too slow paced to my liking compared to manga), Eminence in the Shadow, Tomodachi Game
Jan 3, 2023 9:11 AM

Oct 2015
surprise = Deaimon
disappointment = Koroshi Ai
Jan 3, 2023 10:51 AM

Mar 2021
tomasowa said:
The best surprise would be Gudetama: An Eggcellent Adventure.
The story-writing was endearing, animation quality both retained its stylistic cuteness and brought to life Shakipiyo's cuteness, and the racial uniqueness of actress Serena Motola augmented the anime feel like a freckle-filter would on TikTok influencers.

The biggest disappointment would be Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury.
Have never a fan of self-loathing, insecure protagonists and the story seemed the most claustrophobic in terms of scope; a far cry from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans ...
G-Witch is a w0ke disaster in the west. Goes to show what happens when anime studios bend the knee to npcs. We have never seen a gundam show get so much hype only to get backlash from every corner of the gundam fanbase.
Jan 3, 2023 11:16 AM

Jun 2022
Surprisingly good: Extreme Hearts

Disappointing: C Danchi
Jan 3, 2023 11:25 AM

Jul 2021
For surprises: Human Bug Daigaku and Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

For disappointments: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2
Jan 3, 2023 11:30 AM

Aug 2016
Dissapointment: Bubble (OVA). Even morethan Bocchi the rock
Surprise: CSM. Already tried the manga and didnt enjoy it that much. but the anime improved it so much
MichaelJacksonJan 3, 2023 12:10 PM
:v
Jan 3, 2023 11:49 AM

Oct 2019
surprise: ya boy kongming, akiba maid war, and probably bochi the rock when I watch it

disappointment: AOT s4 p2

> I thought aot almost fully lived up to the hype despite getting praised to hell and back... until the second half of the latest season. idk what happened, but after the rumbling the writing took a nose dive and I can't understand why.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 3, 2023 11:51 AM

Oct 2019
cf52 said:
Surprisingly good: Extreme Hearts

Disappointing: C Danchi
C danchi was more like wasted potential. from the start it was obvious it wasn't going to be good. I'm surprised it actually semi-answered everything by the end
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 3, 2023 12:05 PM

Dec 2017
Surprise: Bocchi the Rock, Lupin Zero

Disappointment: Devil is a Part-timer S2

Seriously, they really fucked it up with that show.
Jan 3, 2023 12:11 PM

Jan 2021
Surprised the Tokyo Mew Mew remake came out as well as it did. And also that Molcar got a second season.
Disappointed in everything else. 2022 was not a good year imo and I'm surprised to see it so highly praised continually. At least I got to catch up on old stuff.
Jan 3, 2023 7:02 PM

Mar 2021
takamono said:
icefirestone23 said:
Actually the only season of Date a live I really enjoy is s1, s2 is alright, s3 is really bad, s4 is alright, if the action scenes in s4 are like s1 then I would have enjoyed more.
For spring, I like Kaguya s3 and Spy x Family more than Date a live s4.
Story wise, Kaguya and especially SxF are not as strong as DAL.  Which is why Kaguya had massive swings. SxF also had a massive drop once we got to to fall.
Jan 3, 2023 7:19 PM

Oct 2021
Surprise: Date a Live IV
Disappointment: Shinobi no Ittoki
Jan 3, 2023 7:23 PM

Nov 2021
both surprised and disappointed by bocchi the rock. surprised by how popular and hyped it got, disappointed at how mid it was.
if i had a flower for every time i think of you, i could walk in my garden forever.
Jan 3, 2023 7:25 PM
Jan 2012
Chainsaw Man, and Ranking of Kings. I guess Bocchi the Rock would possibly qualify as a surprise, but honestly I loved K-On, and everyone and their dogs say it's surprisingly good, so it wasn't much of a surprise for me.

I read Chainsaw Man, so going into the anime I wasn't actually expecting to be all that into it since I knew what happened, I just wanted to refresh my memory to keep up with the discussion. It's not like I thought it'd be a bad adaptation, I knew it'd look great, but that's not enough for me to enjoy a story I've read in the same way I would a new story I've never experienced. It surprised me though, the tone of the anime was far more serious than the manga, so I got to see everything in this first season in a far new light. I don't say this often, but I genuinely prefer the anime over the manga, the less stoic and comedic tone makes me actually feel more when something serious happens. Unlike the anime onlies I wasn't here wondering what happens, but as a manga only (who barely remembers the beginning and middle parts of it) I was genuinely excited to see how the events translated onto the anime.

Ranking of Kings was both a surprise and disappointment. I already guessed I'd like it, but the first half was genuinely a 9.5 for me, I loved it so damn much, it's like the show was made for me. I knew people said the second half is bad, but I decided to disregard that and judge it for myself, with some slight expectations of it not being on the same level just to prepare myself. I have not watched passed episode 16 yet, because episode 15 and 16 irked me so god damn bad that those two episodes have soured so much of my opinion that I had to put it on hold. It legit became a 7/10 just from that alone, and I suspect those two episodes aren't the reason why people say the second half is worse. Like, I'm sure I'm overreacting so I will finish the rest of it once I can go in with a more positive mindset, but god damn did those episodes take the wind out of my sails. It's not like the episodes before it were amazing either, they were inoffensive, but at the same time felt like down episodes made to fill in between the attention grabbing ones.
Jan 3, 2023 7:46 PM

Apr 2019
Surprise: Akiba Meido Sensou (Akiba Maid War)
Disappointment: Bastard!! Ankoku no Hakaishin (ONA) (Bastard‼ Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy)

Jan 3, 2023 8:02 PM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
Surprise: Chainsaw Man lived up to the hype of obnoxious manga readers 
Disappointment: Summertime Render flopped TERRIBLY 
9cycle cycle9

Jan 3, 2023 8:14 PM

Aug 2019
 Surprise- made in abyss s2, bocchi the rock

Disappointment- hataraku maou sama s2, c danchi

Jan 3, 2023 8:52 PM

Aug 2020
Surprise: Paripi Koumei

Disappointment: Bocchi the Rock
Keep scrolling
Jan 3, 2023 9:10 PM
Mar 2020
misaka-9982 said:
surprisingly good was bocchi the rock for me
disappointment was chainsaw man. overhyped up the ass

Yeah, way too overrated,and people hyped it up
Jan 3, 2023 9:11 PM

Oct 2008
Spy x Family was disappointing, which was a shame.

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, I was amazed how great it was, I didn't expect it.
Jan 3, 2023 9:22 PM
May 2011
Surprised aoashi
Disappointed rising of shield hero
Jan 3, 2023 9:23 PM

May 2013
RobertsahDHDA said:
Surprise: Paripi Koumei

Disappointment: Bocchi the Rock
I like Paripi Koumei more than Bocchi the Rock too.

Jan 3, 2023 10:07 PM

Jan 2018
devil is a part timer 2nd season was absolutely painful to watch. it's like business people trying  to make creative content.
Jan 3, 2023 10:24 PM
Dec 2019
Biggest surprise: Bocchi The Rock
It was the second anime I picked up for the Fall 2022 season (after Bleach TYBW) because I saw the promotional visuals on Facebook and thought that it will gonna be special and yet, It still exceeded my high expectations for it.

Biggest disappointment: Shikimori
I thought it will a good successor to My Dress Up Darling, but I found it bland and flat. Put it on hold after 2 eps. May come back for it in the future
Jan 3, 2023 10:52 PM

Nov 2020
Suprise: Yofukashi no Uta and Bocchi the Rock
Disappointing: Date a Live 4 CGI
Jan 3, 2023 10:58 PM

Dec 2021
Surprise:
Summertime Render,
Takagi-san Movie,
Love after World Domination

Disappointment:
Cyberpunk Edgerunners,
Fuuto Tantei,
Shinobi no Ittoki,
My Dress up Darling,
Shikimori,
Science Fell in Love
Jan 3, 2023 11:27 PM

Jul 2015
Surprise:  Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress-Up Darling) 
Disappointment: Overlord IV 

⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯
✦ set by Araberu
⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯

Jan 3, 2023 11:42 PM

Nov 2022
Bocchi the Rock surely disanointing, I expected a lot and got naught.

Surprise do not know really: Tensai Shitarta Ken Deshita is good but that was kind of expected.

Ya Boy Kongming may be, I am still on ep 1 so too early to say much. However it is somewhat better then I could expect.

Suprises unlikely for me since if I do not like premise I will not watch it.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 4, 2023 12:22 AM
Jul 2016
Not RELEASED 2022, but I watched them in 2022 for the first time:

Surprise: Douluo Dalu -> It's surprising cuz it starts off kind of weird and looks bad, but it gets so insanely good. my favorite Isekai after Slime

Disappointment: Food Wars Season 5, just trash XC
Jan 4, 2023 12:30 AM

Aug 2012
Biggest Surprise: Raven of the Inner Palace (was not on my radar and yet became one of my absolute favorite series that I watched all year)
Biggest Disappointment: Chainsaw Man (so much hype for a mediocre series)
Jan 4, 2023 12:59 AM
Nov 2021
Surprised: Romantic Killer

I didn't warm up to it at first, but the way it gradually ended on a emotionally charged finale really took me by surprise. It left me with a positive impression despite my initial misgivings.
---
Disappointed: Akiba Maid War

I loved the first episode, but the show had already climaxed from that point. The show had left me feeling bitterly disappointed for being unable to satisfy my yearnings. I wanted to re-experience that high that I felt from the first episode with its comically bizarre and bloody action that exuded style for how utterly demented it was. It has never reached those heights again, as none of the following episodes came close to delivering on the same level.
Jan 4, 2023 4:26 AM
Simp4DemonGirls

Oct 2018
Pleasant Surprises: Birdie Wing, Raven of the Inner Palace, The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs, Miss Kuroitsu of the Monster Development Department, Spriggan

Disappointments: Science Fell in Love 2, Shield Hero 2, Chainsaw Man, Call of the Night, Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer
Jan 4, 2023 4:30 AM
Dec 2013
Surprise: Bocchi the Rock
Disappointment: Spy x Family. Overhyped af. Forced comedy. Bullshit, unrealistic moments like Yor kicking a car so hard that the car loses control. Formulaic. Too much of a slice of life, with canon episodes feeling like filler. Also, the fanbase is annoying too.
wildhoodJan 4, 2023 7:21 AM
Jan 4, 2023 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
Surprise: My Dress-Up Darling, didn't expect to like a SoL show that much and Lookism which I didn't expect to be so enjoyable given it's below average animation
Disappointment: The delay of Lookism and maybe Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World but I didn't finish that because it was extremely boring

But even the shows that didn't live up to the hype I still enjoyed like Spy x Family, Cyberpunk Edgerunners and Chainsaw Man (haven't finished it yet)

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

87 by NaTsu879 »»
2 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming?

tappioca - 31 minutes ago

24 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

104 by NaTsu879 »»
3 minutes ago

» Does Manhwa Anime reflect the Plastic Surgery Culture of Korea?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

11 by ST63LTH »»
4 minutes ago

» Can your waifu handle the pressure of being best girl in her show?

Catalano - Yesterday

14 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.