Forum Settings
Forums

Can a show be too cute? Like there's so much cuteness/moe that it detracts from the plot?

New
May 20, 2022 11:47 PM

Jun 2017
This is mostly geared towards CGDCT and slice of life type shows. In these types of things, is there a point where it can be too cute that it actively hurts the series?
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 20, 2022 11:57 PM

Jul 2007
TheBlockernator said:
This is mostly geared towards CGDCT and slice of life type shows. In these types of things, is there a point where it can be too cute that it actively hurts the series?

I don't think it's actually possible for a CGDCT anime to be too cute.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 20, 2022 11:59 PM

Feb 2022
Probably the connoisseurs of those kinds of show won't mind it as much, but for the rest of us non-fans, it kinda does get annoying when it is excessive. I see a lot of dudes who aren't really into moe seething about these all girls SOL CGDCT moe shows that they're "ruining anime". Their problem probably stems more from excess moe since quite a few do like all girls shows and even SOL. An outsider take, so I guess I'll follow this thread too to see what people actually into it think and if they've come across such shows lol
May 21, 2022 12:11 AM

Feb 2020
CGDCT can never be too cute, hehe. :) Gochiusa and Nyanko Days are the perfect examples.
May 21, 2022 12:12 AM

Sep 2020
I guess some voice actors trying hard to sound cute that I find it cringe sometimes, but it doesn't harm the plot in any way, just a minor annoyance
May 21, 2022 12:12 AM
Dec 2019
there isn't a single "cute" show that's actually good. if a show is moe, it's bad by default.
May 21, 2022 12:31 AM
Jan 2021
I think theone of the only shows ever where the amount of "cuteness" annoyed me (that I watched) was this seasons shikimori-san is not just a cutie

I watched 5 episodes and literally couldn't tell you anything about any character except that they are "cute" and "wholesome". Its like the author just left everything in the dust to tell us how cute and cool and awesome everyone is over and over.
May 21, 2022 12:35 AM

Sep 2020
Not really, usually the cuter the better.
May 21, 2022 12:37 AM

Jul 2007
Anonychan said:
Yes, that's what every moeshit anime (think KyoAnishit for instance) is. It tries too hard to be cute that it's not no longer cute but looks goofy and plays out unbearably. The "CGDCT"/SoL that could actually be called cute are the ones that don't signal every second of their existence what they're trying to do and make it their core identity. An example of this would be Asobi Asobase (which isn't moeshit and I'm not even sure classifies as "CGDCT" due to its sense of humor, but that elevates my point exactly).

I simply consider Asobi Asobase to be a comedy (and it is absolutely based btw). It is more similar to shows like Cromartie High School than it is to CGDCT imo.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 21, 2022 1:00 AM

Jul 2021
Moe in general detracts from the plot.
Finding something decent with more realistically proportioned characters is like a breath of fresh air.
May 21, 2022 1:32 AM

Aug 2016
Any time shows try to force "cute" already is hurting the series
May 21, 2022 1:41 AM

May 2021
There is only 1 show that is extremely cute to me but never detracts me from the plot, and that is "Miira no Kaikata".

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

May 21, 2022 1:55 AM

Sep 2010
I don't think an anime can be "too cute" but anime of these kind often lack other things that make them enjoyable.

Recynon said:
there isn't a single "cute" show that's actually good. if a show is moe, it's bad by default.

There is, you just never watched one and are too biased to even try at this point.
May 21, 2022 2:00 AM

Feb 2014
It's the same as any other form of fanservice. So yes, it can be too much.

I think CGDCT is a subgenre that originated from slice of life shows having too much cuteness going on that it overtakes the rest.
It got an audience tho.
MizunoWaveRiderMay 21, 2022 2:05 AM
May 21, 2022 2:08 AM

Sep 2018
I don't really watch CGDCT and slice of life for the plot lol, I watch it for the wholesomeness, every day life moments, which makes me happy. If there's a sub story underneath, then by all means, but the majority of these anime simply make me feel good and energized.

Something like RPG Fudouson which is airing this season, the plot is about four girls who work at a fantasy Real Estate Company, but is overshadowed by the actual cuteness, etc...
May 21, 2022 2:16 AM

May 2019
Cute is already part of the identity of CGDCT shows. It certainly not hurting the series because most of the shows know their target audience but it'll annoy some viewers if the show only relies on the sheer amount of cuteness to the point of pandering without any substance. I like CGDCT shows that have an overarching theme in it.

May 21, 2022 2:19 AM
Jun 2021
JaniSIr said:
Moe in general detracts from the plot.
Finding something decent with more realistically proportioned characters is like a breath of fresh air.

This. It's easily the most boring form of fanservice, intended for single men/incels in their 40s who want a daughter.
At least sexy fanservice is something realistic since there are men and women who'd eagerly walk around half-nekkid in real life.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 21, 2022 3:02 AM

Feb 2021
Depends honestly ... Do I find the VA to be cringe (Which has happened) and how forced I feel the cuteness is.
APTminerMay 21, 2022 4:38 AM

Protect the smile!

May 21, 2022 3:04 AM

Jan 2013
Who says there's a plot to begin with if it's just a ridiculously cute series.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 21, 2022 3:08 AM
Dec 2020
TheBlockernator said:

well those animes generally dont have a plot or main goal to begin as slice of life is just a story of everyday life so i don't see why some girls doing cute things would interrupt the plot.
May 21, 2022 3:13 AM

Feb 2021
most likely, although I don't have anything in mind. that's essentially just meandering... what with the many familiar elements of playful backdrop aesthetics, extreme moe to point of overkill and empty dialogues.
May 21, 2022 4:03 AM
Dec 2019
atxt said:
I don't think an anime can be "too cute" but anime of these kind often lack other things that make them enjoyable.

Recynon said:

There is, you just never watched one and are too biased to even try at this point.

Factually wrong. Even if you only looked at my completed list, you'd see Madoka Magica has moe designs. I've tried them. They suck.
May 21, 2022 4:25 AM

Oct 2010
can someone please tell me the plot of jujutsu? all I see is nobara acting all angry, miwa cute and maki looking gorgeous
May 21, 2022 4:35 AM

Sep 2010
Recynon said:
atxt said:

Factually wrong. Even if you only looked at my completed list, you'd see Madoka Magica has moe designs. I've tried them. They suck.

You didn't even try to understand what I said.
May 21, 2022 4:38 AM

Aug 2018
no, an anime show can never be too cute.
May 21, 2022 4:39 AM
Dec 2019
atxt said:
Recynon said:

You didn't even try to understand what I said.

You'd be always be right by definition so long as I haven't watched every single moe anime in existence. I can watch 99 percent of all moe anime and you can still say I haven't watched a good one. So unless you can name a specific one I haven't watched that you consider good for specific reasons, you can't prove your point. And you're still factually wrong that I'm too biased to even try.
RecynonMay 21, 2022 4:44 AM
May 21, 2022 4:52 AM

Jul 2021
Catalano said:
can someone please tell me the plot of jujutsu? all I see is nobara acting all angry, miwa cute and maki looking gorgeous
Apparently it has a subplot about finger eating fetish, but I don't really watch shounen so idk.
May 21, 2022 4:56 AM

Jul 2021
PriyanshTheAnime said:
TheBlockernator said:

well those animes generally dont have a plot or main goal to begin as slice of life is just a story of everyday life so i don't see why some girls doing cute things would interrupt the plot.
Being a slice of life show is not an excuse to have no plot though. Shiroi suna no Aquatope is just about 2 girls working, and it still was unironically exciting, and had great character development.
May 21, 2022 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
I think that might have been the case for me with shows like Sweetness & Lightning (Amaama to Inazuma). But it could be just the fact that I'm not usually interested in those type of shows. The first episode was good. But it got pretty boring after a while.
May 21, 2022 5:36 AM
Dec 2020
JaniSIr said:
PriyanshTheAnime said:

Being a slice of life show is not an excuse to have no plot though. Shiroi suna no Aquatope is just about 2 girls working, and it still was unironically exciting, and had great character development.

But slice of life literally means it's their everyday life, u could say that their plot could of marrying someone they are dating but slice of life's don't really have a plot they just have a start and then from there on they keep on moving with normal life with some twists here and there to make the show somewhat interesting.
May 21, 2022 5:38 AM

Jul 2021
PriyanshTheAnime said:
JaniSIr said:

But slice of life literally means it's their everyday life, u could say that their plot could of marrying someone they are dating but slice of life's don't really have a plot they just have a start and then from there on they keep on moving with normal life with some twists here and there to make the show somewhat interesting.

Yeah, I fully know what does it mean, and The Aquarium anime fits that 100%.
May 21, 2022 5:54 AM
Jul 2021
I don't get how cuteness can hurt the development of the story. Shows that revolve around characters being cute, don't have any overreaching plot. So how can it distract you from the plot, when the cuteness is the actual plot?
May 21, 2022 5:57 AM
Aug 2021
some scenes are too cute and distract me from the plot
May 21, 2022 6:27 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Yes an anime can be too cute for it's own good .
Like miss sachiko and the little baby ghost..

May 21, 2022 7:21 AM

Jul 2021
DrBalls said:
I don't get how cuteness can hurt the development of the story. Shows that revolve around characters being cute, don't have any overreaching plot. So how can it distract you from the plot, when the cuteness is the actual plot?
If the show revolves around the characters being cute, then the entire potential of the plot was sacrificed on the altar of cuteness...

Plus, moe blobs aren't even cute.
May 21, 2022 7:28 AM

Jun 2017
Yes if you don't like cute, no if you do.

Can a gore anime be too gory?
Can an action anime be too action packed?
And so on.

May 21, 2022 7:28 AM
Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:
DrBalls said:
If the show revolves around the characters being cute, then the entire potential of the plot was sacrificed on the altar of cuteness...

Sth that never existed can't be sacrificed. Cute moe shows don't have potential. What kind of storyline are y'all expecting from a show like that anyways? Not everything needs an edgy "I'm 14 and this is deep" type story.

May 21, 2022 7:33 AM

Mar 2021
i only feel that way about kids shows. stuff like pretty cure, aikatsu, etc. but i'm not the target demographic for those, so i don't really have room to criticize
May 21, 2022 7:47 AM

Jul 2021
Tirinchas said:

And so on.

Dude, a while ago I dropped a hentai manga for being too horny.

DrBalls said:
JaniSIr said:

Sth that never existed can't be sacrificed. Cute moe shows don't have potential. What kind of storyline are y'all expecting from a show like that anyways? Not everything needs an edgy "I'm 14 and this is deep" type story.

That's still underpaid anime staff work hours we will never get back.
And I don't get where you get that the opposite of no plot is being edgy...
May 21, 2022 7:49 AM

Dec 2020
the entire point of cgdct anime is to be nothing but concentrated cuteness for 20 minutes so no
May 21, 2022 7:54 AM
Jul 2021

That's still underpaid anime staff work hours we will never get back.
And I don't get where you get that the opposite of no plot is being edgy...

I didn't say the opposite of no plot is edgy, I gave an example of what you were tryna say from my perspective. You're asking for a storyline in a cute moe show, and I am saying, these shows simply were never intended to have a storyline in the first place, most of these shows feature episodic slice of life content. So I don't see where your idea of a wasted potential storyline comes from.

And about underpaid staff work hours being wasted, you can make that same argument for literally any anime or genre you don't like.

May 21, 2022 8:00 AM

Oct 2013
I can't think of any anime like this, but I've never been fond of chibi sprites in jrpgs because I just find it harder to get invested

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
May 21, 2022 8:15 AM

Jul 2021
DrBalls said:

I didn't say the opposite of no plot is edgy, I gave an example of what you were tryna say from my perspective. You're asking for a storyline in a cute moe show, and I am saying, these shows simply were never intended to have a storyline in the first place, most of these shows feature episodic slice of life content. So I don't see where your idea of a wasted potential storyline comes from.

I actually like episodic stuff, but the episodes need to have a proper point, and only being cute doesn't really qualify.

DrBalls said:

And about underpaid staff work hours being wasted, you can make that same argument for literally any anime or genre you don't like.

Well yea, it's been so long since I found an anime that actually had good animation that I liked.
May 21, 2022 8:16 AM

Jun 2017
JaniSIr said:
Tirinchas said:

And so on.

Dude, you're the exception that confirms the rule.

May 21, 2022 8:20 AM

Jul 2021
Tirinchas said:
JaniSIr said:

Dude, you're the exception that confirms the rule.
Exceptions don't confirm the rule, it's a stupid saying people should stop using.
May 21, 2022 8:25 AM
Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:
DrBalls said:

I actually like episodic stuff, but the episodes need to have a proper point, and only being cute doesn't really qualify.

DrBalls said:

Well yea, it's been so long since I found an anime that actually had good animation that I liked.

Well if you get into an anime with a CGDCT tag, and you expect it to be anything other than just a generic, episodic and cute moe anime, then that's kinda on you.

May 21, 2022 8:26 AM

Feb 2010
Fuck the plot, there's other reasons for watching and enjoying stuff than just 'plot'. The moment you accept that you will realize how stupid this question is.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 21, 2022 8:31 AM

Jan 2018
if you want to see that cute girl vs girl interaction then moe anime is for you. if you feel like their behavior seems fake or bringing up your past encounter with narcissistic people then it would be the trigger to get pissed off.
May 21, 2022 8:44 AM

Jul 2021
DrBalls said:
JaniSIr said:

Well if you get into an anime with a CGDCT tag, and you expect it to be anything other than just a generic, episodic and cute moe anime, then that's kinda on you.

Well, I watched one of those, so now I'm avoiding everything with that tag.

Edit: Actually, does this qualify as CGDCT?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49519/Hakozume__Kouban_Joshi_no_Gyakushuu
JaniSIrMay 21, 2022 8:47 AM
May 21, 2022 8:56 AM
Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:
DrBalls said:

Well, I watched one of those, so now I'm avoiding everything with that tag.

Edit: Actually, does this qualify as CGDCT?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/49519/Hakozume__Kouban_Joshi_no_Gyakushuu

Nah, Hakozume is just a slice of life. I guess the difference really ain't that big between CGDCT and normal slice of life stuff.

I also never really liked these type of anime at all tbh. I kinda understand iyashikei for example, but general CGDCT stuff is boring af.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 20 minutes ago

4 by Spunkert »»
9 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
30 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.